Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clear side marker installation

I bought two clear side marker lenses to replace the amber ones on my C2. The owners manual explains how to remove the lens cover to change the bulb. I am having problems! I can not seem to get the spring clip to release with a screw driver. Has anyone else done this themselves? What is the trick?

As an aside, the new clear side marker lenses came with orange bulbs in them. Is it proper protocol to leave the orange bulb or replace that with clear as well?

Thanks!

Re: Clear side marker installation

Use a small screwdriver and just keep working it gently through the small hole created when you pop the rubber gasket out. The lens will begin to loosen a bit, but will remain tight and you will think you are not doing it right, or that you will break it. Just keep at it and it will release. The clip that holds the lens is a bit tight the first time you do it. The orange bulb is correct, the lens cover is just white. Good luck

Do a quick search online within Rennteam on this. It's been covered many times. The clear side lenses should be used with the amber bulbs to give you the orange (front of car) illumination. Code dictates that.

Dan

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    I bought two clear side marker lenses to replace the amber ones on my C2. The owners manual explains how to remove the lens cover to change the bulb. I am having problems! I can not seem to get the spring click to release with a screw driver. Has anyone else done this themselves? What is the trick?

As an aside, the new clear side marker lenses came with orange bulbs in them. Is it proper protocol to leave the orange bulb or replace that with clear as well?

Thanks!

I prefer the orange bulb.
    The install is a little tricky. There are plastic pop-outs inside the wheel well. Carefully pop them out (one per side). You can then fit a small, narrow srewdriver through the hole to assist in removal. I was able to remove mine by pulling the wheel side of the lens assembly towards me, deliberately careful, but with some force. Then the assy. simply releases by sliding it towards the wheel.
    Reverse for install.
    The ability to reach the assy through the holes I mentioned helps if you have trouble getting the spring to retain it's tension upon re-install.
    Hope I didn't ramble and that it helps.
    I don't know your mech. abilities and i don't want to sound presumptuous but first run it through your head before beginning so you don't scratch anything. It should go very well.

devo: Thanks for the desciption. It appears my level of mechanical ability is less then replacing a light bulb! (Honestly its not, yet I don't want to break an internal component or mark the exterior finish with a stray screwdriver push!) I am off for some lunch, but will attempt this again later.

Dan: I have noticed in other pictures that people do leave the orange bulb in the clear lens. I intend to do the same. I didn't want to move from Pumpkin status to toxic strawberry.

Wonderbar: Thanks also! I do, now, have some play with the passengar side marker. Maybe I am on the right path?

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Do a quick search online within Rennteam on this. It's been covered many times. The clear side lenses should be used with the amber bulbs to give you the orange (front of car) illumination. Code dictates that.

Dan

In the UK we have the clear side markers as standard as you know and yes, the bulbs are orange. The look is then referred to as egg yolk. You can get a chrome bulb which illuminates orange and these look a lot better as you cannot really see the bulb behind the clear marker. There are different luminescents though so be sure to get the highest or the one that is hardly diffused. I need to get mine changed as it does look loads better.

[edit]

Ends up summut like this -

My friend just pushed them out with his hands, no tools.
    I watched him do it in 5 seconds. goodluck

I tried to follow the instructions in the maual for removing the side markers, but eventually gave up as it just wouldn't come out. The dealer had installed the clear side markers for me previously and I remembered that he just used his hands to pull out the side markers (i.e. no screwdriver). As a result, I ended up pulling out the side markers without the aid of the screwdriver.

It was a little scary at first because I was afraid I was going to damage the side marker, but it popped out no problem. Once you have done it once, you will have the confidence to do the other side with ease.

Also, the reason I removed the side markers was to put in white bulbs. Technically, you are supposed to have the amber bulbs, but I like the look of the white bulbs. I have kept the amber bulbs just in case someone makes me put them back in.

Ok, I was able to change the side markers. As zone posted, no tools necessary. Just pull the lens cover away from the body nearest the wheel. Once the lens cover is away from the body push or pull it towards the wheel. You only need to do this enough to get the front tab to clear the anchor point. Once the front is free of the body it is then quite easy to just manipulate the lens cover off the car. Installation was the reverse, push the side marker so the front tab slides under its anchor point then push the wheel end of the lens cover into place. Thanks to all who posted.

Thanks for all the latest review on this. I hope to be in this position in a couple of weeks when my beast finally shuws up off the boat. At least it's over the Pacific now! Would like to be able to source the chromed bulb in America. Any tips?

Dan

You need I believe the two types. One for the front and rear indicators within the main light cluster and of course one for the side markers.

The main bulbs for the front and the rear are the same type and are 21w bulbs ref. PY21W.

The side markers are different and are 5w bulbs. Ref. WY5W. These are a little harder to find I think.

Perhaps you could have a look at the following to give you a starting point at least.

WY5W

PY21W - Osram Diadem

PY21W - Philips Silver Vision

I'm not sure of the pin offset but I believe they are staggered. I'll have to take one out to see.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    The side markers are different and are 5w bulbs. Ref. WY5W. These are a little harder to find I think.

My manual lists the side marker bulbs as W3W. The turn signal blulbs on the sides are WY5W though.

If I take out my newly installed side marker lens covers (to install chrome bulbs) do I risk stretching the spring such that when I replace it it does not fit tightly any longer?

Pics, pics, wheres the pics Puffy, hope your enjoying your clear side markers, you match the back white lights now!!!

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Pics, pics, wheres the pics Puffy, hope your enjoying your clear side markers, you match the back white lights now!!!

Nice avatar...Grrrrr

As far as bulbs go, you may want to check out these Sylvania's
    http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts...nal/default.htm

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

My manual lists the side marker bulbs as W3W. The turn signal blulbs on the sides are WY5W though.

If I take out my newly installed side marker lens covers (to install chrome bulbs) do I risk stretching the spring such that when I replace it it does not fit tightly any longer?

I'll check my manual. I might be mistaken but I'll check in any case. If I am I'm sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Yes. I installed mine then removed them for a clear bra install on the front "bumper". Re-installed them and one was looser than it was before removal. (Those spring clips only seem good for one install) Just got another (new one) and it fit nice and snug. OTOH, though looser than I thought it should be, I doubt there was any "danger" of it popping out.

I call this the "rule of 2s". As in if you have 2 things to replace, one will be easy and one will be a PITA. This applies to 4 "things" or any other # of things. I remember adjusting the valves on a 6 cyl BMW once and all went well until the last adjustment, then I stripped the threads on one of the adjusting bolts! So, I had to get over to the dealer for some replacements. For small, relatively cheap parts like this, I usually buy two of them. A bit off topic, but it's pretty cheap insurance to have an extra oil drain plug, washers etc if you change your own oil.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774895 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440404 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262091 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260327 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84845 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814287 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM