Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Washing Car....Engine Compartment

I just got my 2006 911 s about a week ago. After washing my car I started drying it and I opened the engine compartment (is there a specific name for this?) since alot of water seems to stay in the back wing. When I opened it, the water dropped down to the engine and some of it went into the air duct that points up. Should this be a concern? When I have my car washed should I not have the attendents open the engine compartment? Thanks.

Re: Washing Car....Engine Compartment

It's not a concern....It won't get past the filter, and will evaporate in the filter.

Besides, you've never heard of water-injection??

water injection < rofl

FYI, if you raise that compartment slightly and place a cloth over the air ducts it will stop the water from flowing in when you raise the compartment all the way. Easier done if you wash the car yourself.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    water injection < rofl

I wasn't joking!! (well, I was, but water injection is a real and rather trick technology...)

Water injection systems are predominantly useful in forced induction (turbocharged or supercharged), internal combustion engines. Only in extreme cases such as very high compression ratios, very low octane fuel or too much ignition advance can it benefit a normally aspirated engine. The system has been around for a long time since it was already used in some World War II aircraft engines.

A water injection system works similarly to a fuel injection system with the difference that it injects water instead of fuel. Water injection is not to be confused with water spraying on the intercooler's surface, water spraying is much less efficient and far less sophisticated.
    A turbocharger essentially compresses the air going into the engine in order to force more air than it would be possible using the atmospheric pressure. More air into the engine means, automatically, that more fuel has to be injected in order to maintain the appropriate stoichiometric value of the air/fuel ratio (around 14:1). More air and fuel into the engine leads to more power. However by compressing the inlet air the turbocharger also heats it. Higher air temperatures lead to thinner air and therefore an altered stoichiometric ratio which results to richer mixtures. Over-heated air intake temperatures can cause detonation.
    Detonation, an effect also known as engine knock or pinging, occurs when the air/fuel mixture ignites prematurely or burns incorrectly. In normal engine operation the flame front travels from the spark plug across the cylinder in a predefined pattern. Peak chamber pressure occurs at around 12 degrees after TDC and the piston is pushed down the bore.

Water injection is used to lower in-cylinder temperatures and burn the air/fuel mixture more efficiently thus helping avoid detonation.

In high pressure turbocharged engines the air/fuel mixture that enters the cylinders can, in some cases, explode prematurely (before the spark plug ignites) due to the extreme engine environment conditions. This situation is extremely destructive and results in severe engine damage (piston piercing). To avoid damaging the engine by detonation or pre-ignition phenomena, water is injected, along with fuel, in the combustion chambers in order to provide a water/air/fuel mixture which not only burns more efficiently and avoids detonation or pre-ignition but also provides additional inlet air cooling and, hence, denser air. The sole function of water injection is avoiding detonation.

There are mainly three variations of water injection systems. They are dependent of the location of the water injectors. The first technique consists of injecting water at the entrance of the intake manifold. The second injects water at the exit pipe of the intercooler. The third technique injects water at the entry of the intercooler and is only used in competition vehicles. In this latter variation most of the in-cylinder detonation prevention is done by injecting additional fuel which is then used as coolant (i.e. is not burned) and runs the engine above the stoichiometric ratio (i.e. rich).

How water injection works

The system is, usually, made up of 3 elements:

A water injector (similar to a fuel injector)

A high pressure pump (capable of attaining at least 3 to 4 bar pressure and sometimes even more)

A pressure sensor connected to the inlet manifold

An inlet air temperature sensor

An old 911 owners' washing trick,--take a good sized turkish towel and lay it across the open engine compartment just before you wash the car. Close the tail over it, lightly. If you don't want to get too much water in there for whatever reason, the towel will catch it.

Dan

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    water injection < rofl

I wasn't joking!! (well, I was, but water injection is a real and rather trick technology...)

Water injection systems are predominantly useful in forced induction (turbocharged or supercharged), internal combustion engines. Only in extreme cases such as very high compression ratios, very low octane fuel or too much ignition advance can it benefit a normally aspirated engine. The system has been around for a long time since it was already used in some World War II aircraft engines.

A water injection system works similarly to a fuel injection system with the difference that it injects water instead of fuel. Water injection is not to be confused with water spraying on the intercooler's surface, water spraying is much less efficient and far less sophisticated.
    A turbocharger essentially compresses the air going into the engine in order to force more air than it would be possible using the atmospheric pressure. More air into the engine means, automatically, that more fuel has to be injected in order to maintain the appropriate stoichiometric value of the air/fuel ratio (around 14:1). More air and fuel into the engine leads to more power. However by compressing the inlet air the turbocharger also heats it. Higher air temperatures lead to thinner air and therefore an altered stoichiometric ratio which results to richer mixtures. Over-heated air intake temperatures can cause detonation.
    Detonation, an effect also known as engine knock or pinging, occurs when the air/fuel mixture ignites prematurely or burns incorrectly. In normal engine operation the flame front travels from the spark plug across the cylinder in a predefined pattern. Peak chamber pressure occurs at around 12 degrees after TDC and the piston is pushed down the bore.

Water injection is used to lower in-cylinder temperatures and burn the air/fuel mixture more efficiently thus helping avoid detonation.

In high pressure turbocharged engines the air/fuel mixture that enters the cylinders can, in some cases, explode prematurely (before the spark plug ignites) due to the extreme engine environment conditions. This situation is extremely destructive and results in severe engine damage (piston piercing). To avoid damaging the engine by detonation or pre-ignition phenomena, water is injected, along with fuel, in the combustion chambers in order to provide a water/air/fuel mixture which not only burns more efficiently and avoids detonation or pre-ignition but also provides additional inlet air cooling and, hence, denser air. The sole function of water injection is avoiding detonation.

There are mainly three variations of water injection systems. They are dependent of the location of the water injectors. The first technique consists of injecting water at the entrance of the intake manifold. The second injects water at the exit pipe of the intercooler. The third technique injects water at the entry of the intercooler and is only used in competition vehicles. In this latter variation most of the in-cylinder detonation prevention is done by injecting additional fuel which is then used as coolant (i.e. is not burned) and runs the engine above the stoichiometric ratio (i.e. rich).

How water injection works

The system is, usually, made up of 3 elements:

A water injector (similar to a fuel injector)

A high pressure pump (capable of attaining at least 3 to 4 bar pressure and sometimes even more)

A pressure sensor connected to the inlet manifold

An inlet air temperature sensor

Cool

Thanks for all the info.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    An old 911 owners' washing trick,--take a good sized turkish towel and lay it across the open engine compartment just before you wash the car. Close the tail over it, lightly. If you don't want to get too much water in there for whatever reason, the towel will catch it.

Dan

I'm so absent minded I know I would forget about the towel and only remember when I smelled something burning

I'm reeeeeeal careful washing this car. Definitely lay a towel over engine and close deck before washing OR make sure engine is hot before you wash. Be careful using hose stream around front hood since water got in a few early cars around there and created PITA system faults.

The car filled with *electronics.* Keep in mind they warn us to use damp rags to clean computers, i.e. don't spray them with spray-bottle cleaners etc. Not exactly the same thing BUT maybe just don't assume you can hose the pi** (pun) out of this car while washing it and have zero problems.

just my us$.02

Quote:
    MMD said:...The car filled with *electronics.* Keep in mind they warn us to use damp rags to clean computers, i.e. don't spray them with spray-bottle cleaners etc. ...

So, don't drive the car in the rain? These things are all-weather products.

Drive this car in any rain. Critical moisture sensitive components are well protected. They mostly likely aren't even IN the engine area,--as those items are sensitive to excessive heat as well.

dan

My Mini Cooper S (supercharged) has an Aquamist 2d water injection system fitted:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/806-009/806-009.html

High pressure water pump:

Water injection ECU:

Schematic diagram:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/press/806-441/instruction.html

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:...The car filled with *electronics.* Keep in mind they warn us to use damp rags to clean computers, i.e. don't spray them with spray-bottle cleaners etc. ...

So, don't drive the car in the rain? These things are all-weather products.

Not that simple, IMO. Rain and running thru the rain at high speed is different from certain areas of the car getting a direct hit from a 30-50psi stream from a garden hose, or a heavy flood cascading off the windshield and hitting the ventilation around the wiperblade area (opposite the direstion rains hits the car at speed).

IOW, be careful/mindful how you flood the car with a garden hose when washing. At the beginning there were awful PITA system faults because people got components wet under the hood while washing (supposedly fixed by Porsche).

You might big problems if you get water into these areas. Right-most arrow points to the weatherstrip that Porsche might have had problems with at the beginning. The one where people washed their cars and had those awful system faults. Other arrows point to recesses with "computer" cabling.

Not a great design, IMO. (i.e a long thin rubber strip with tiny crossection contact which must align and contact perfectly with curve of hood).

Re: Stream of water...get ready

Yep,
    After washing open up the back and get your towel ready, cuz a bunch of water stores under there. I think that is crazy. Seems to be a better way. The Boxster, never saw the engine, so this lid really bugged me at first with the rush of water all over, especially when its brand new!!!
    Dealing with it now though with some 'quick towel action'

I think we are going over the top. Unless you put the hose in the air filter and turn it on you should be OK. Remember it is a car that you can drive in the rain, snow, etc. I have washed my car many times and even washed the engine and it still runs like before.

The towel thing is necessary unless you plan to leave your car sit for hours after washing it. WHen I start mine up and simply move it around the driveway I find that a few ounces of water comes out and drips down my nicely waxed rear bumper.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I think we are going over the top. Unless you put the hose in the air filter and turn it on you should be OK. Remember it is a car that you can drive in the rain, snow, etc. I have washed my car many times and even washed the engine and it still runs like before.

I agree, this is over the top...

Of course, the last thing you do after washing and drying the car is release and open the decklid, let the water run out of it (who cares if some dumps on the engine, it's negligible and absolutely harmless), and then dry off the engine cover, and surrounding compartment and the underside of the deck for a nice and fast detail. Then close it, and power-up your superman wing to jam-out in there. Lastly, tidy-up/buff any streaks your jambing may have left on the bumper cover or 1/4 panels. Done... This all goes part and parcel with your door jambs and trunk jambs, the last things you do before you're truly "done". Extra care is required around the bottom of the tail lamps, bottom of the mirrors, and the front and rear of the bottoms of the doors, to ensure a drip-less drive. Then I'm ready to roll immediately, with no runs drips or errors messing things up as I fly down the road...

Water injection. It means you have to carry a source of water as well as fuel. How much is needed? I remember our water-injected tanker aircraft (KC-135s). What a racket they used to make taking off in the Middle East years ago!

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Water injection. It means you have to carry a source of water as well as fuel. How much is needed? I remember our water-injected tanker aircraft (KC-135s). What a racket they used to make taking off in the Middle East years ago!

Dan

My car had a 2nd screen washer bottle fitted. It holds a few litres of distilled water. It only requires topping up every 2nd/3rd trip to the gas station and the attendant will top it up for me. The same bottle also feeds a water sprayer which sprays over the intercooler.

The injection of water into the intake manifold is controlled by the ECU and is dependent of the boost pressure and intake temperature. Water is used only when I am driving hard, and/or when the temperature is high.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752889 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM