Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Talk about being embarrassed

I had my 430 in a mall lot and when I walked out there was several people and children admiring the car.When I unlocked the car, a woman said " great we are going to hear a Ferrari start". I would estimate about 12 people standing there listening.

Those of you who have not heard a 430 start, all I can say it started with a growl and if you depress the throttle it screams. Knowing this and with a smile on my face, I proceed to start my 430. Upon starting it sputters, coughs and gasps dying in the process. I start it up again and it sounds like it is sucking air and vomiting. It has never done this before.

With egg on my face, I limp out of the parking spot with people looking totally confused, puzzled and non plussed.

Sometime life can be mean. The car is going into service tomorrrow.

Re: Talk about being embarrassed

Tough luck

I'm actually surprised you posted such a story...about it not starting that is...nice

The Porsche Gods are after you!

Personally I would be embarrassed just coming back to my car and having people standing around looking at it.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Personally I would be embarrassed just coming back to my car and having people standing around looking at it.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing I've actually walked the other way when this happens, but I'm attention shy.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

thats what happened to me this morning when i just finished an early breakfast at 6:30am...
    i walked out of the restaurant and had a smoke...while some after party people came to the restaurant. they got off their cars and kept walking around my car .. talking about it...

then i walked to my car and drove away. feeling funny at that time...with those eyes at you

Shame it happened at one of those crucial moment Nick!
    Well, at least, we appreciate your honesty regarding the unreliability of the product.
    Hope it gets fixed quickly man!

The irony of the moment will never leave their memory.

At BBQ's after a couple of drinks when the subject turns to cars your cars gasping wheezing start up will be recalled for another decade at least.

Maybe for the kids forever.

Hope your F430 gets proper diagnosis soon.

If it happens again with a crowd, remember to tell them that the gas you just bought was contaminated with ethanol.

Oh man, that is nasty!
    Get a nissan, it won't happen anymore! (at least, the crowd gathering around your car part won't )
    -Joost-

aaahhh...really nasty and embarassing ,why does it have to happen at the wrong moment?

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Oh man, that is nasty!
    Get a nissan, it won't happen anymore! (at least, the crowd gathering around your car part won't )
    -Joost-

He should've bought a Porsche.

Nick, did you find out what the problem was? I am sure its nothing major....

Probably something minor, good luck getting her back asap. Cars with stage fright whatta ya know.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I had my 430 in a mall lot and when I walked out there was several people and children admiring the car.When I unlocked the car, a woman said " great we are going to hear a Ferrari start".

Maybe the put sugar in your tank before you arrived?

At least you have an F430 to take to the shop to have it checked!

Check the tailpipes for bananas?
    Hope car is fine, and thanks for the tale. Happens to us all!

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    At least you have an F430 to take to the shop to have it checked!

Very true! Everybody who can afford such cars like F430, Gallardo, 997 etc. should be glad he/she can do so.

Nevertheless I hope it's only a minor problem though.

my guess is a faulty mass airflo sensor...

My telediagnosis: your battery is flat.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    My telediagnosis: your battery is flat.

Do you mean that typical "tack-tack-tack-tack-tack" sound, so common at Ferrari that haven't been driven for, let's say a week or so?

They haven't diagnosed the problem as of yet but I am told there is a technical bulletin dealing with the gear box. Ferrari dealers are supposed to ran a test on the box and if positive it must be replaced. That will extend the stay in the hospital.

Sorry to hear that Nick. I hope that it is not the same problem as my friend had, replacment F1 gearbox was a solution is his case! This is fourth case of problems with F1 gearbox that I heard. Even mine had a problems(minor one) at the first few kilometers.
    I belived that Ferrari solved all these problems with F1 gearboxes till now... The damn car is in production from 2004!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Sorry to hear that Nick. I hope that it is not the same problem as my friend had, replacment F1 gearbox was a solution is his case! This is fourth case of problems with F1 gearbox that I heard. Even mine had a problems(minor one) at the first few kilometers.
    I belived that Ferrari solved all these problems with F1 gearboxes till now... The damn car is in production from 2004!

Didn't zzboba's car also have problems with the gearbox or am I mixing things up?

Yes, it did but, as far as I know his F430 did not need new gearbox.

I don't know if any of you have had this problem. I've only encountered it once. I usually park my car in 1st. Then engage reverse to get it out of the garage. If I pull on the UP lever, the intrument cluster indicates that I am back in 1st. However the transmission is actually in 2nd gear and the car stalls if you don't give it enough gas.

Forcing neutral gear and then restarting the car solves the problem.

The embarrassing part here was the fact that a manufacturer of any hi-end product can deliver a $200K machinery that needs this kind of fixing within very few months of exiting the plant.
    Ferrari, Porsche, Skoda or a coffeemaker...that's simply not ok.
    (Ok, the fact that Nick ultimately got trapped in an embarrassing situation almost makes up for the lack of build quality )

Nick, have they fixed it?...or merely given u free vouchers to the nearest Starbucks?

One more reason to order the 6spd manual. Save $10k on price, have more enjoyable driving, and save yourself a huge bill if you ever have trouble with the F1 gearbox after the warranty...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    The embarrassing part here was the fact that a manufacturer of any hi-end product can deliver a $200K machinery that needs this kind of fixing within very few months of exiting the plant.

It seems to be OK for the Space Shuttle though....we spend billions to have it fixed for them to launch it in space to have them fix it again and then land for some more fixes

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

It seems to be OK for the Space Shuttle though....we spend billions to have it fixed for them to launch it in space to have them fix it again and then land for some more fixes

I suspect that the collective sigh of relief from NASA staffers when it did actually land safely would have registered on the Richter scale.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I suspect that the collective sigh of relief from NASA staffers when it did actually land safely would have registered on the Richter scale.

There is not a single human more happy to be able to fix stuff than the NASA crews...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690362 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409670 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255924 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858338 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774591 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM