Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

S vs 4S Drive Impressions

Can anyone compare/contrast the "S" vs "4S" for me? I've found awd cars to feel less powerful than their rwd counterparts. Also, any opinions on additional understeer on the 4s; do you feel the extra weight?

I'm considering the purchase of either. I love the widebody look of the c4s and its all weather capabilities. However, I'm looking for a more "pure" driving experience and am under the impression with all the computer systems, the awd is much less necessary than in previous models. Bottom line, I'm nervous about what (if anything) I'm giving up if I get the c4 instead of the "s".

BTW, I hope to track the car a little.

Thanks.

Re: S vs 4S Drive Impressions

I know that you're asking for other's impressions, but you should really drive them yourself and decide.

I decided on the C2S, though I never drove the C4's (even though they were tempting with those gorgeous hips and all). I simply decided that there really wasn't any need for AWD since I wasn't going to drive it in the winter. The C2 has ample grip (that's the 911's main advantage over all other design setups!), is lighter, sportier, less likely to have mechanical issues, has less front tire wear, and is cheaper.

But like I said, drive them both for sure.

Either way, you really can't go wrong.

If price isn't an issue, the extra power is very helpful on the 4S.

If 4WD isn't the primary selling point, you would be better off buying a C2S - it seems to be the most popular choice and rightly so.

The truest test of this is for you to take two equally set up cars (6-speeds, coupes or cabs) with one being a C2S,--the other the C4S. Do the exact same road course. But, drive the course FIRST in some other car so that you get the bias out of your observations. I would recommend that you NOT know which is which when you are driving. Have your salesman pick out the two cars. Don't look at the model type in the door jam. Just drive it. Look for the car's ability to handle a line; check the car's engine braking on a curve. Think about the various things that each car should be best at and challenge them both.

I wound up taking two cars like that one day. Unfortunately, the C4 was not an S. Both were cabs and 6-speeds. So, it wasn't entirely fair. I also used two different routes. TRY not to be biased by others' opinions or impressions. Try and remain neutral about issues like 22mm wider hips on each side.

Dan

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    If price isn't an issue, the extra power is very helpful on the 4S.

If 4WD isn't the primary selling point, you would be better off buying a C2S - it seems to be the most popular choice and rightly so.

There's no difference in the S powerplants. Both C2S and C4S have 355hp according to everything I've seen from Porsche.

What is with all this "winter driving" malarkey??? I have a C2S and I still use it in the snow during the colder months here without any problems. This is the 997, not the 964 or even 993 where RWD or AWD would actually have made a noticeable difference.

The 997 is so over engineered now a days a RWD version is not going to pose a major problem for "winter" useage.

The main difference will be if you prefer the wider rear look enough to splash out the extra Pounds$Pounds.

If you're going to pull the trigger, then do take BOTH out for an extended drive as the others suggest. They will feel slightly different, but if you go in a 3rd party car first, I bet the biggest difference will be between the non 997 and the 997s, rather than between the 997s if you get my drift.

I had the same dilemma. TRY BOTH, you have to, only you will know exactly what you want.
    The C4S is slightly heavier on the front. That gives you a feeling of security and at high speeds, the car feels more planted. On the other hand you loose that light nice sporty front feel. Hardly any understeer.

The C2S does feel more like a sports car, but does not have the same braking system ( C4S has a pre braking devise) and will not be as fast and secure under rain.

Hard choice: I went with the C4S due to rain and winter. I love it, but If I had to do it again I would get the C2S

Agree with Dan & Gnil

We can all pontificate here (most of us have Masters degrees in Pontification we're that good...) but there's no substitute for doing it yourself. Reading Robert Parker describe a wine is one thing, tasting it yourself is another.

If you're worried about your ability to discriminate between the two, don't worry - you will be surprised at how easy it is to feel the difference.

Logic says that in Chicago I should have bought a C4S for all the bad weather we have, but I just prefered the feel of the C2S.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

I went with the C4S due to rain and winter. I love it, but If I had to do it again I would get the C2S

Gnil, why do you say that?

FWIW, if it were raining the C4S would be faster around the track than the C2S.

not even, there is a video where the stig drives back to back a C2 and a C4 around a track and the C4 wins...and the track (indoor BTW) is not wet.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    not even, there is a video where the stig drives back to back a C2 and a C4 around a track and the C4 wins...and the track (indoor BTW) is not wet.

Yes but by like 1/2 a second! And the TopGear conclusion was that the C2 was still the better car to get.

Thanks all. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I agree with the underlying advice that I must drive them both. Chef, I like to hear that it will be easy to feel the difference because I'd like it to be a driving characteristic rather than an aesthetic one that helps me make up my mind.

Thanks again.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Yes but by like 1/2 a second!

It was a very short track!

Gaz

Yes, I seem to recall that the C2 time was 1 min 11 secs. I *think*

Nope I was 1 second out, it was 1'12".

I thought we decided that the comparison wasnt fair though as the C4 had PSE+PCCB+SportsSuspension which the C2 didn't...

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post167364

did no know about options, but does PSE bring a chrono advantage

No extra bhp officially but there may be a small gain.

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

I went with the C4S due to rain and winter. I love it, but If I had to do it again I would get the C2S

Because I miss the ' light front feeling' which gives a more sporty / less secure feeling ... ( But I have no regrets with my C4S )

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    No extra bhp officially but there may be a small gain.

would be curious to see if anybody has dynoed this...

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Because I miss the ' light front feeling' which gives a more sporty / less secure feeling ... ( But I have no regrets with my C4S )

I'm a C2S Cab owner. I haven't tried the C4S but have tested the TT which is also 4WD. The turbo had firmer steering which I prefered to the C2s which IMO is too light. On a previous post on the TT board users suggested that the firmer steering is part of the 4wd setup and not specific to the turbo model.

If you like firmer steering then maybe you will prefer the C4S or even the turbo if money will stretch.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

I'm a C2S Cab owner. I haven't tried the C4S but have tested the TT which is also 4WD. The turbo had firmer steering which I prefered to the C2s which IMO is too light. On a previous post on the TT board users suggested that the firmer steering is part of the 4wd setup and not specific to the turbo model.

If you like firmer steering then maybe you will prefer the C4S or even the turbo if money will stretch.

I'm actually on the turbo list. I'm number 18. Could be a solid 6-12 months before I would get the car. I'm getting a bid antsy, so I'm considering getting something for a year or two to satisfy my craving for a sports car.

My dealer has a new S and a used (3500 mi) 4S. Similarly equiped at about the same price. Decisions, decisions....

The C4 has an even smaller front trunk than the C2 due to the space for the front wheel drive mechanism.

For the record, I decided that with my other AWD car in the garage, I would not get the C4:

1. more money
    2. more stuff to break
    3. more weight
    4. less trunk space

But it's very personal and depends on your intended use. In come parts of the world, a C4S Cabrio is the purrrfect all-year round car.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The truest test of this is for you to take two equally set up cars (6-speeds, coupes or cabs) with one being a C2S,--the other the C4S. Do the exact same road course. But, drive the course FIRST in some other car so that you get the bias out of your observations. I would recommend that you NOT
    know which is which when you are driving. Have your salesman pick out the two cars. Don't look at the model type in the door jam. Just drive it. Look for the car's ability to handle a line; check the car's engine braking on a curve. Think about the various things that each car should be best at and challenge them both.

I wound up taking two cars like that one day. Unfortunately, the C4 was not an S. Both were cabs and 6-speeds. So, it wasn't entirely fair. I also used two different routes. TRY not to be biased by others' opinions or impressions. Try and remain neutral about issues like 22mm wider hips on each side.

Dan [/quote

great advice!
    what were your impressions, dan?
    (though with engine and brake and other differences must've been
    hard to be objective/scientific)
    which car did you get!
    thanks for sharing!

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

does anyone have that link? thanks very much!

Quote:
    kush said:
    Thanks all. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I agree with the underlying advice that I must drive them both. Chef, I like to hear that it will be easy to feel the difference because I'd like it to be a driving characteristic rather than an aesthetic one that helps me make up my mind.

Thanks again.

let us know what you think when you compare -- i have the same dillemma so looking forwarding to reading your "impressions."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMY9WSagbbg

enjoy :-)

Yeah, the c4 wins but the stig perfers the c2.

i make a ride whit the 4s (381 hp)
    I feel the extra awd weight.
    My s2 is feels lighter and more direct power .(355 hp)

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    The C4 has an even smaller front trunk than the C2 due to the space for the front wheel drive mechanism.

For the record, I decided that with my other AWD car in the garage, I would not get the C4:

1. more money
    2. more stuff to break
    3. more weight
    4. less trunk space

But it's very personal and depends on your intended use. In come parts of the world, a C4S Cabrio is the purrrfect all-year round car.

5. Something additional can cause a brake down

C2s feels more powerful and responsive then a C4s even with x51

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM