Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

did you get run flat tires on your f430?

how do you like them?

Re: did you get run flat tires on your f430?

Don't get runflats on a car like that. They give worse handling and a harsh ride. But, I guess if you get a flat at 180mph it's nice...

i wish that the 3 people who voted in the poll that they did not like runflats would submit more details. first, do they own a 430? if so, why don't they like the runflats? what brand of runflats do they have.

the 2 people who owned an f430 on ferrarichat both liked them. general comments on runflats like grant's above are not helpful.

Quote:
    ignacio said:general comments on runflats like grant's above are not helpful.

Sorry, didn't mean to be "unhelpful", but I do have extensive experience with run-flats (though not on a Ferrari).

IMHO, a Ferrari is a car that should not have its performance hampered in any way that can be avoided.

You don't really think run-flats drive as well as top-performance summer or R tires do you? If they did, all the top tires in the world would be run-flats, wouldn't they?

It's obviously a compromise and a Ferrari does not deserve compromises, imho

Doubtful that runflat tech is refined enough to be optimum for high-performance tires...usual engineering compromises....sort of why we also don't drive F/P w/all-season tires....

Besides, would suspect 99%+ of F owners have never driven 430 w/perf tires vs 430 w/runflats in similar, challenging conditions to provide a more authoritative subjective "feel" answer....

Separately, may want to consider whether F offers factory-spec winter tires/wheels, esp that fit CCM-equipped 430/599 ....my vague sense is they don't ...and guys back East just ship their F's to their FL/CA winter houses....or mothball their F for winter, as most of today's latest-tech perf tires aren't really safe @temps <40F.

Yea, I ordered them with NAV and back up sensors. Jeez, fuggetabout all of the above Nope, don't have any of that. IMO the only reason they're an option is so they can say they're available. You'd never find them on a challenge car for example.

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    i wish that the 3 people who voted in the poll that they did not like runflats would submit more details. first, do they own a 430? if so, why don't they like the runflats? what brand of runflats do they have.

the 2 people who owned an f430 on ferrarichat both liked them. general comments on runflats like grant's above are not helpful.

Ignacio as I posted on Ferrarichat "The stiff-sidewall method, the most common and what Pirelli has chosen for the Eufori@, doesn't require a special rim and minimizes the un-sprung weight in-crease, but it limits what the engineers can do to "tune" the tire."

Ferrari run flats are supplied by Goodyear and they use the above method. As a result you can assume the tire was not tuned for Ferrari's which will affect performance.

BTW, Grant's posts are always helpful. He rarely takes positions and posts what he knows from personal experience. In other words, he is not opinionated like myself.

Nick, how do you know that the tire was not tuned for the Ferrari? Look what Goodyear did for the Corvette.

I think its only speculation on your part that Pirelli and Goodyear did not tune that tire size and spec as best they could. It would be strange and more unlikely that Ferrari
    Goodyear and Pirelli didnot work out the specs for Ferrari OEM use.

Is a runflat the best choice overall? Maybe it is for some people depending upon where they live. Optimum for a race track? Not likely.

Runflats are not as slow as people think...infact runflats are faster then normal tires around a track.On a bumpy road it's different.

BTW I live 5 km away from a Goodyear test and development center and I don't only see it from outside.

folks

thanks for all your comments but please note the following:

NOT ONE PERSON WRITING IN HAS ACTUALLY DRIVEN AN F430 WITH RUNFLATS!

the 2 people on the ferrarichat site who have driven an f430 with runflats liked them! one person reported that they were particularly good in the rain.

HAS ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY DRIVEN AN F430 WITH RUNFLATS?

thanks

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    folks

the 2 people on the ferrarichat site who have driven an f430 with runflats liked them! one person reported that they were particularly good in the rain.

thanks

If you already got an answer on Ferrarichat, why are you asking here? Besides, runflats are runflats and Grant and Walter told you how they perform, regardless of whether they tried them on an F430 or not - that isn't really relevant.

crash

i was hoping for additional observations here. i only got 2 430 owners to respond on ferrarichat.

also, runflats are evolving technology. they are improving. i have runflats on my mini s with john cooper works that feel fine. that doesn't mean that an f430 would be the same. the general views expressed by grant and others are appreciated but are not helpful to me.

Why do you need hard answers on this? Any 430 owner with them is probably going to say they're great. There's no way I'd bother getting them however. You wouldn't see them on a Challenge car as I mentioned. Are you looking to support your decision to buy them?

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    folks

thanks

Have the two individuals on the vaunted fchat site who "liked" runflats driven 430 w/runflats vs 430 w/perf tires in similar conditions to provide an intelligent, subjective view? Any sense of their driving skills/use of car (speeds/straight-line/twisties)/road conditions in their region?

Doubt there's any usable hard data to make your decision here....

430 is fundamentally an emotional car choice anyway...great steering/brakes/chassis/F1 tranny/exhaust note and resale value ......its lack of spare tire is a trivial issue....what about its lack of side/head airbags? Are its seat structures as crashworthy as those of 997TT or SL65? Any sense of how its fuel tank placement affects crashworthiness/odds of post-crash fires? Or does the optional leather-trimmed, bespoke color-stitched fire extinguisher solve that issue???

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    crash

i was hoping for additional observations here. i only got 2 430 owners to respond on ferrarichat.

also, runflats are evolving technology. they are improving. i have runflats on my mini s with john cooper works that feel fine. that doesn't mean that an f430 would be the same. the general views expressed by grant and others are appreciated but are not helpful to me.

ignacio, I think you won't find any more information about that subject here. Simply because there aren't much runflat-F430 drivers around. I have Pirelli on my 430 and I am very pleased with them. As far as I recall Kreso and zzboba also drive Pirelli. About the Michelin you only hear good things as well. And a good friend of mine has his 430 equipped with Bridgestones and I haven't heard him complaining yet. So more or less everybody seems to be satisfied with his tire choice.

It's true that the runflat technology becomes better and better and the fact that Ferrari offers the Goodyears at his new models including the 599 speaks for itself.

Doesn't make sense to me to get one of the best handling cars in the world and get run flats. Get the best performing tires possible so that you may enjoy the handling of the car for the 99.99%/100% of the time you're driving and for the .01% of time that you get a flat call a flat bed. Doesn't make sense to possibly deminish handling/grip for the one or 2 times or 0 times you may get a flat. To reduce the handling in any way 100% of the time in order to plan for something that may never happen isn't the way I'd go. Not in a Ferrari anyway but everyone's entitled to make their own bets. jmho.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Doesn't make sense to me to get one of the best handling cars in the world and get run flats. Get the best performing tires possible so that you may enjoy the handling of the car for the 99.99%/100% of the time you're driving and for the .01% of time that you get a flat call a flat bed. Doesn't make sense to possibly deminish handling/grip for the one or 2 times or 0 times you may get a flat. To reduce the handling in any way 100% of the time in order to plan for something that may never happen isn't the way I'd go. Not in a Ferrari anyway but everyone's entitled to make their own bets. jmho.

Very well said.

I went with the run flats.

Take the handling argument to the extreme, and all the 100% (ragged edge) guys should be on slicks. How can they live with the compromise of street tires?

Unless you have a racing license, incredible inate abilities, or extensive track experience, (and a willingness to risk the car) the run flats will not make much of a difference. I think, from a practical point of view, you will have more "comfort" on non-track days than "discomfort" on track days with the run flats.

Quote:
    cnc said:

Take the handling argument to the extreme, and all the 100% (ragged edge) guys should be on slicks. How can they live with the compromise of street tires?

Unless you have a racing license, incredible inate abilities, or extensive track experience, (and a willingness to risk the car) the run flats will not make much of a difference. I think, from a practical point of view, you will have more "comfort" on non-track days than "discomfort" on track days with the run flats.

i agree with the above. i plan to use the f430 as a gt car not a racer. i'm just trying to make sure that i'm not sacrificing too much ride quality.

Quote:
    cnc said:

In terms of "comfort" I've heard from guys that have run-flats that the run-flats give a harder ride. To each their own, it just doesn't make sense to me to not run the best handling tire on a car like a Ferrari and on top, pay a premium ($) for run flats. I rather put the money towards the tire pressure monitoring which you cannot get w/ the run flats. But I can understand that some people worry about such things (getting flats) and if it gives them piece of mind and they're not worried about a slight decrease in the car's handling, then it's worth the money. Even if I had the run-flats and got a flat I doubt I would try driving the car anyway. For me I want every single stitch of my Ferrari's available performance, available.

the tire monitoring system is only available with runflats as part of the package. the cost difference between the compact spare tire and the runflats is not significant.

i am aware of the reputation of runflats for a harsh ride. that is the main reason i've been trying to get additional real world observations from 430 owners. i don't care about the last 2% of dry track performance that are beyond my capabilities anyway. i do care about wet performance and ride characteristics.

"I rather put the money towards the tire pressure monitoring which you cannot get w/ the run flats."

That is true, it's option "FLAT".
    I think you're looking at it differently than I. I don't consider having better performing tires only noticebale during the last "last 2% of dry track performance that are beyond my capabilities". When I have better tires on my sports cars I pretty much feel the difference the majority of the time, not just at 98% limit. Just as I can feel the difference between the Corsa's on my CS to the Rosso's on a 430. Actually, unless you drive like a granny you should be able to tell the difference pretty quick. And w/ the run flats I've heard you feel the harsher ride difference 100% of the time. Which brings me back to my original point - To in anyway deminsh the cars ride or handling 100% of the time for something that may never ever happen and even if it does there's way's of dealing with it, doesn't make sense to me, ESPECIALLY on a Ferrari........... And it's completely not about the $ I understand that but paying $2k for lesser performance tires (the run flats) on a 430?? Why bother w/ a 430 in the first place then ? ............ A spare tire in the bonnet of a 430 is like putting an elevator in an outhouse, it just doesn't belong. Having the factory shave off every ounce possible only to toss 40lbs back into the car and lugging it around in the trunk for every second you use the car while possibly never using it is kinda silly in a Ferrari imho. I saw this once (spare tire) in a CS and myself and a friend just looked at each other and shook our heads at the same time. But to each their own, that's just 2 car nut's opinion's....... I mean what happens then if you get 2 flats at the same time, what do you do then? It's all too consuming for me to worry about. Good luck in your decision, I'm bored of this topic. Peace out.

Stradale,

But doesn't the difference really only matter when you come to the limit of adhesion,, everything else is just a variation on a theme, and a handling peculiarity.

If you push a Stradale, why even be bothered with an F430, just go get a race car and racing license; and post your time(s) here so we can sit in admiration of your advanced skills.

Peace out!

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    the tire monitoring system is only available with runflats as part of the package.

That's not true. You can order the TPMS with the regular tires.

I'm not quite sure, but if I remember correctly:

The TPMS is a requirement with the run flats, and an option with regular tires.

That's probably where the confusion is coming from, I know that I have TPMS with my run flats.

Attached is a link to car and driver's tire test. While they dont test the run flat version of the Goodyear Eagle GSD3 they do say that the non-run flat is the best tire on the market. So, whatever negative adjustment you make for run flats will be at least partially offset by the tire's overall design superiority. I choose run flats because the Goodyear's are noticeably very stable in wet weather (very resistant to hydroplaning) and also because the last thing I want is to be changing a flat tire on a Ferrari F430 in the middle of the highway late one night!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3.jsp

Hello guys.

Although I own not a F430 (more attracted by Porsche,I own a 997 S, but every tastes are in the nature .... ), I just want to add some explanations about run on flat tires :
    - I'm working for one of the two firms mentionned above ; and more especially this oen who delivers run on flat tires for Ferrari
    Two solutions are in the market :
    - the run on flat philosphy, with reinforced sidewall, which allow the tires to be flat, but still possible to run "90 km t 90 km/h"
    - the second one, developed by some other manufacturers, led by Michelin, is called PAX technology. The disadvantage is that you need a specific rim designed ONLY for this tire. This is perhaps (I'm not sure) more heavy, but you can also be sure that you can't find either a rim or a tire on each dealer at your road. Advantage of the Goodyear one is that you can even mount a standard tire without rim modification.
    This is for "tech explanations".
    About ride and handling, for sure it's more harsh than normal ones, because of reinforcement. But it has been tested that for supercar or sport car, the additionnal reinforcement can provide a stiffer handling, good think for such a car.
    For BMW series, it's more a problem because most of the people are looking for comfort. We are actually on going to work about ride and handling improvement through stiffness enhancement etc etc.
    But my personal point of view is that for sport car, it's definitively an advantage : you don't have to be blocked by a puncture, you can return home or at the dealer safely, without damaging the rims, and last argument, you don't have to work on this bloody tire !!
    I hope it will help.
    Regards

Thanks Theirry

very helpfull thierry , thanks.
    i had runflats on my Z8 few years back ,they were really fine , once at 3 am i had a piece of metal in the tyre ,the tpms warned me ,and i arrived home at 80kph ;this day i thanked god the car had tpms and runflat..

I thought that the run flats were not available with the challenge rims, if true, doesn't that suggest that the goodyear needs a special rim too!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690768 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410004 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774918 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM