Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Farewell 05 Boxster, the Wait for the Next One Begins

Much like Rich C (see his post) my Boxster had become a very expensive garage ornament, as we've tried unsuccessfully to run three cars. (I've got a Ford Mondeo TDCi as my daily drive as I have quite a high mileage, around 20,000 annually and my job entails a lot of time in shipyards and docks, not exactly an ideal environment to take a Porsche)! Unfortunately SWMBO has always hated the sports seats in our first Boxster, and being "vertically challenged" found it quite impossible to drive with them. The relationship of sports seats to steering wheel to clutch pedal was hopeless for her. She found the standard seats a revelation, and in a recent test drive was happy immediately. According to my OPC quite a high percentage of customers who specify sports seats in their first Porsche don't have them in subsequent cars.

So, as a result we've parted with our March 05 arctic silver Boxster S and ordered a new 07 Boxster S 3.4 for October delivery. SWMBO will sell her current car privately when the Boxster arrives and then use it weekdays for commuting and if I am a good boy she has promised to let me drive it at weekends.

We have also had the benefit of specifying the new car with the benefits of "Lessons Learnt" from the first one.

My thanks go to porsche-jeck and wtsnet for their valued opinions and guidance, as I only had five days from order to spec-frozen state as I had taken up one of my dealer's "pre-ordered" slots to shorten the wait.

The specification for the next Boxster is :-

Cobalt Blue Metallic.
    We have always loved the colour but baulked at paying "special" price for it. For 07 it is a "standard" metallic, so a no-brainer for us. Whenever we visit our dealer his park is a sea of silvers and greys. Nice to have a different colour!

Ocean Blue Full Leather.
    We liked the colour and full leather with our first car, so we've gone with it again.

Park-Assist.
    Regretted not having it on the first car as we had to spec the first car unseen. We both find rear visibility over the soft top / engine cover "hump" when reversing took some getting used to.

Autodim Mirrors and Rain Sensing Wipers
    Bi Xenon Lights
    Wind Deflector
    PASM
    Automatic Climate Control
    Seat Heating
    Porsche Communication Management
    Sports Steering Wheel
    All worked brilliantly on the first car so we are having them again.

19" Carrera Classic wheels
    Always been my favourite wheel, couldn't have them on the first car as it was an early production. Having the coloured wheel centres again.

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
    Any device that improves safety is worth having. All too easy to take tyre pressures for granted.

Electrically Adjusted Memory Seats
    Finer range of adjustments than the standard seats, with benefits of "key memory", autodip nearside mirror when manoeuvring and orthopaedic adjustment.

Rear Section of Centre Console in Aluminium Look
    Roll Bars in Aluminium Look
    Chosen to contrast with the otherwise all-blue theme.

Sound Package Plus
    Had Bose in our first car, sounded great when the car was stopped, but of little benefit when driving. I prefer the sound of the engine to any sound system anyway!

Not having the 6 x CD player this time as the PCM now has MP3 capability which makes the 6 x CD player redundant. IF an IT dinosaur like me can work out how to successfully burn MP3's on my computer!

Re: Farewell 05 Boxster, the Wait for the Next One Begins

CONGRATS Dreamcar
    Very nice spec

Gosh, you getting a new car? I would never have thought it!

Can't wait to see it. When's it due?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Gosh, you getting a new car? I would never have thought it!

Can't wait to see it. When's it due?

Best guess, Saturday 14th October.

Can you not get the PSE? Would make the 3.4 sound awesome!

My mate bought a Cobalt blue Boxster in March - lovely colour. Just so much more refreshing in the flesh than in the pics or even in the showroom. Not sure about the blue interior or blue hood. The black looks better IMO. Or I would go with Sand Beige or the full leather Grey will be nice for the contrast.

By the way, the black top works than the blue top - imo having seen them in the flesh.

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Can you not get the PSE? Would make the 3.4 sound awesome!

My mate bought a Cobalt blue Boxster in March - lovely colour. Just so much more refreshing in the flesh than in the pics or even in the showroom. Not sure about the blue interior or blue hood. The black looks better IMO. Or I would go with Sand Beige or the full leather Grey will be nice for the contrast.

By the way, the black top works than the blue top - imo having seen them in the flesh.

Thank you for your comments.

PSE for the Boxster is not available until next year, and it's price would put the car beyond my strict budget limit. I am sure it would sound terrific if the 997 sports exhaust is anything to go by.

I gave a great deal of thought about which colour interior to have with cobalt. My first idea for the interior colour was sand beige, but IMO it works much better with dark colours such as midnight blue or black. Cobalt isn't quite strong enough to contrast too well with sand beige. Grey in theory would contrast well with cobalt, but I am not too keen on the grey shade. It's a bit bland, somehow. I don't particularly like the black interior. I was worried initially about having too much blue, but I had ocean blue leather with my last car and really liked it. It would have been a mistake to have had ocean blue with lapis or midnight as the colours are too similar, IMO. But the brighter colour of cobalt works ok. I've picked out aluminium highlights such as the centre console and the roll bars to break up the all-blue theme.

My dealer had a cobalt Boxster with metropole blue soft top and also a 997 cab in cobalt with black roof. It was a close call, but in the end I preferred the blue.

Cobalt with blue interior :-

Cobalt with grey interior.

I'm also considering Cobalt for my 997, and settled for the bicolor black/grey interior (black soft top in your case). If I'm not mistaken, the 987 gets bicolor seats as well, whereas the 997 only gets grey seats. Have you considered this? It's worth it IMHO.

Congratulation on your choice anyway

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I'm also considering Cobalt for my 997, and settled for the bicolor black/grey interior (black soft top in your case). If I'm not mistaken, the 987 gets bicolor seats as well, whereas the 997 only gets grey seats. Have you considered this? It's worth it IMHO.

Congratulation on your choice anyway

Thanks, if I had had more than five days to make my mind up before the spec was "frozen" I may well have considered it as it is a great choice, no doubt about it.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Cobalt Blue Metallic.
    We have always loved the colour but baulked at paying "special" price for it. For 07 it is a "standard" metallic, so a no-brainer for us. Whenever we visit our dealer his park is a sea of silvers and greys. Nice to have a different colour!

If it is now a standard metallic it will probably start to become more popular.. but you'll still be 'different' for a while

So, let me get this straight:
    SWMBO complains about the seats/pedals/shifter, and now she will be driving a new Boxster all week, while you will be taking a Mondeo?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Let me think .....

Hmmmmmmmm...

hmmmmm...

hmmmm...

yeah, that sounds reasonable!

So I guess SWMBO will now join Rennteam as the TRUE owner of your Boxey...and you will be found on Mondeotalk.com from now on?

Rakka-tisssschh! (Hear the whip?)

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Thanks, if I had had more than five days to make my mind up before the spec was "frozen" I may well have considered it as it is a great choice, no doubt about it.

I'm astounded you had so little time. Didn't some UK members have enough time to change their spec a half-dozen times? Unless your dealer already has a cobalt/blue/blue 987S waiting to be delivered, I'm afraid he just does not want your money!

Whatever his decision, I'm sure you'll love this car even more than the first one!

wow congras!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    So I guess SWMBO will now join Rennteam as the TRUE owner of your Boxey...and you will be found on Mondeotalk.com from now on?

Can we have a Mondeo forum on gtpark.com, please

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    I'm astounded you had so little time. Didn't some UK members have enough time to change their spec a half-dozen times? Unless your dealer already has a cobalt/blue/blue 987S waiting to be delivered, I'm afraid he just does not want your money!

Whatever his decision, I'm sure you'll love this car even more than the first one!

And we were one of the UK buyers who changed the spec half a dozen times with the first car. Having had the experience of owning one, the decisions were also easier based on experience gained. Cobalt blue was an easy choice, the interior colour that went with it was the only decison we really had to think about. Even now we are not 100% certain. If we had five months to make our mind up it would have been no easier.

We took the offer of one of our dealer's pre-order slots for end August / early September build rather than wait six months, hence the five day spec decision window. We had a totally free hand on spec. choice, so it was not the case that it was a pre-specced car. The August factory shut-down also compressed the available time to make our mind up so it was "self inflicted", not the fault of the dealer. Even so we have no regrets with the spec we have chosen.

Our dealer has been consistently excellent, very helpful and gave excellent advice. We really can't fault Porsche Centre Bourenemouth in all our dealings with them.

For some reason we are actually looking forward to the second car more than we did the first one.

Nice choice dreamcar - i agree with your comments about the grey ; its a bit bland for my taste too. Ocean is a perfect match to cobalt, black if you want a bit of contrast.

Oh, if this is as you say, I'll happily withdraw my borderline-libellous post. Your dealer sounds like a true professional.
    You were right to seize this opportunity to get your car quickly.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Oh, if this is as you say, I'll happily withdraw my borderline-libellous post. Your dealer sounds like a true professional.
    You were right to seize this opportunity to get your car quickly.

Yes they really are very good. In case you think I am easily satisfied by car dealers you only have to ask what I think of my local BMW dealer. Only do so if you can tolerate some very unsavoury language ;)

"The wait for the next One" will be rather short
    The combination of two blue tones is a classic choice for a Porsche cab
    This one is for you, bud Have a look:

Love the picture, a beautiful car. I must admit I didn't realise that blue with blue was a classic combination. Thank you once again for your advice, very much appreciated. I am sure that next year we will be over to Germany with the new baby. (Fortunately Linda's daughter is buying a Ford S-Max rather than a Zafira )

I see you have a nice new avatar as well

And I managed to upload a pic on Rennteam for the first time ever - astonishingly this time neither my PC nor my nerves broke down
    So finally your tutorial lessons regarding this crazy IT-stuff paid off Hence the first pic is dedicated to you (at least it's a two seated blue Porsche cab )

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    And I managed to upload a pic on Rennteam for the first time ever - astonishingly this time neither my PC nor my nerves broke down

Congratulations! I am glad one IT dinosaur could help another. For my next trick, burn MP3 discs for the PCM in the new car

No excuses now - we'll expect lots of lovely pictures from your European Tour

Pics from the great Alpine tour are a task I might be able to manage now, but what is the trick with the burning of this MP3 - I don't have a fire extinguisher in my car - so it seems to be way to dangerous

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    but what is the trick with the burning of this MP3 - I don't have a fire extinguisher in my car - so it seems to be way to dangerous

I think it might be risky - don't know if any petrol or matches are involved, but I am sure it is "white man's magic"

Great choice, I thought about Cobalt Blue and Blue interior before, prefect combation. But did you considate used yellow dial, striped, seat belt and centre console, I see it in a exclusive before, it look stunt.

Quote:
    fsdell said:
    Great choice, I thought about Cobalt Blue and Blue interior before, prefect combation. But did you considate used yellow dial, striped, seat belt and centre console, I see it in a exclusive before, it look stunt.

Yellow Dials No thanks!

Coloured Seat Belts Silver /grey seat belts would have looked nice, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Centre Console having it finished in aluminium look, with aluminium look roll bars, otherwise the car would have had too much blue!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764806 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436820 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261182 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877142 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809296 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM