Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT vs Z06 vs F430 from an owners perspective.

I read this on corvetteforum.com. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

"Just came back from the track with the 997tt. I did 10 1/4 mile runs and the best time was 11.87@119.65. Note: The 60' foot time was 1.85. My best C6 Z06 60' foot time is 2.01 and a 11.7@124. The 997tt gets the jump out of the hole but gets pulled in at 3/4 track and gets run away from from there. The 997 tt has the Sports Chrono package and has 502 lbs of torque from 2500 through 4500 and believe me after 4500 it goes away. OUCH. Side by side from 70mph until 160 mph the Z06 walked away by 2-3 car lengths. The 997tt Sports Chrono Package is a waste if money because it gives you no help in the upper rev range which is where you are all of the time at the track and on 70mph through 160mph pulls.

Two days later I went to a 3 mile roud course and the Z06 was at least2.5 seconds per lap faster!!!WOW. The 997tt stills feels soft at the track. The 997tt brakes felt slightly better. The steering is about the same both are a little to soft at the limit. The 997 tt in my opinion is a dissappointment!! Variable Turbine Geometry what a joke. I sold it back to a local dealer in Northern California and bought a used 2005 996 GT3 which I have already owned and have come to love. It is a better compliment to my Z06. And is the perfect little brother to my Z06.

Rock on Chevy

I hope this was helpfull to you all.

On another note in the same 70mph through 160mph pull was my buddies F430 and it was at least 4 car lengths behind. Every time I look for flaws in the Z06 all I can really find is a red hot transmission tunnel but after all we are talking about a 70k SUPERCAR bargain of the century. We should all take a bow to Dave Hill and his vision and tenure at GM that brought the Z06 back to life in 2001."

Re: 997TT vs Z06 vs F430 from an owners perspective.

The joke is the post. I would expect pretty much what he writes, but, I didn't buy the tt to race at the strip and I'm not concerned that it loses a couple of seconds at the track. Not that I believe that entirely. (But if it's so, so be it.) I bought the tt for it's refinement, quality, torque, speed etc...
    To say that the overboost in the mid-range (the most useable part of a street car's power band) is a waste, is, well... ridiculous.
    Are we going to start this again. Give me a f...ing break. If he wanted a race car then he should have bought one. The Z wins in most, maybe all races... kudos to Chevy. I'll still take the tt, or even the F car. \
    In the end it's still a f...ing Chevy; crude.

SO WHAT!!

People who are going to by a TT or any other Porsche probably don't care about this. It's not like their going to run out and get a Z06 now. This topic is so played out.

ok if its true the vette is faster.. but we cannot forget that a chiptuning for the turbo always gain much power than a NA... so if its really important , do a chiptuning and nobody beats the tt. it costs a bargain. and i still have a porsche (R)

Z06 was tested in French show this morning on TV, by Anthony Beltoise, Carrera Cup driver.
    He likes the power. His bad comments were about seats and interior quality. He also commented on steering abit heavy for European twisties, but perfect for the track. All positive overall.
    Price: 82kEUR, which is about $100K here...

OHV = Outdated Horizontal-Wanna-Be Vaccum-Cleaner

From a performance standpoint, only the super super sport cars (Enzo, CGT, Pagani, Saleen) can out perform the Z06.

Ferrari and Porsche are not in its league. Can you imagine what the Blue Devil will be like? Also, in 2008 Ferrari will be out with the 430 replacement and you can bet it will have in excess of 550hp.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    From a performance standpoint, only the super super sport cars (Enzo, CGT, Pagani, Saleen) can out perform the Z06.

Ferrari and Porsche are not in its league. Can you imagine what the Blue Devil will be like? Also, in 2008 Ferrari will be out with the 430 replacement and you can bet it will have in excess of 550hp.

In 2008? Meaning less than two years away? Some people who have just ordered the 430 are going to be really ticked off.

What we haven't seen is the Tiptronic SCP TT tested in any American Mags. So far the Manual TT's tested have been very close to porsches own Quarter mile #'s. I think the Tip TT will be faster in the Quarter than the Z06, But its yet to be seen. Also remember something the Z06 gets tracked alot and most people have more experience getting the Z to lower #'s than the TT. How many people on this forum will actually run there 997 TT in the Quarter mile?? Go ask that same question on the Z06 forum and you will see what I mean,Practice Makes Perfect.I don't discount the Z's track #'s(I happpen to like the Z), But the Z is not a luxury/Performance car like the TT and the TT also has a backseat,better paint,better fit and finish and a Beautiful interior, keep in mind that the roofs on the TT aren't flyin Off on the freeway, Porsche also ranks #1 in Quality with lexus being second, I don't think Chevy is even in the top 10. Considering the weight difference between the TT and the Z, The Z should walk all over it but doesn't, How Fast would the TT be if it weighed the same as the Z06, it would be alot faster than the Z. The Z has one Advantage on the competition and thats Weight, its much lighter than the F430 and the TT.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Depends on what you call performance.On the track,there are cars that would outperform Saleens,CGTs,Enzos,Zondas,...and still would be more "gentle" to the tires and brakes,get a better milage,easier to drive,cheaper and more fun to drive.

If you talk about straight line performance,then the Z06 owners would have problems with every lighlty tuned 15 years old Supra.

If you talk about performance on real roads,the Porsche would win easily.

So I fail to see what's so special about the Z06.It's by far the most overrated car in the world.Everyone says it's great but that's only because of the price tag.
    80'000 euros is fair price.But no one would even consider buying a 100'000 euros pile of plastic that isn't even street legal in nothern countries 3 months(or more) a year.
    I'm not very sure but I think winter tires are mandatory in Germany.I know for a fact that if you have an accident in the winter and you don't have winter tires,the insurance won't cover the damages even if you didn't cause the accident(again in Germany).

People complain about the high price tags of the Ferraris and Porsches,but that's because they don't know that a manufacturer has first make money and then build cars.

If you want to know what a manufacturer is really capable of in terms of speed/performance,look at the motorsports results.

Quote:
    nberry said:

That is B/S. Sorry.

Even the Gallardo managed to outperform the Z06 in a track test done by a professional race driver (Kurt Thiim) for the Powercar magazine.

The Z06 is massively overrated.

It all started with GM's claim of a 7:42 lap time. Unfortunately, GM forgot to state that this was the lap time with a flying start wheras all comparable data (sportauto supertest) has been derived at with a standing start.

This GM marketing B/S tells you a lot about this car. They need to cheat in order to get some positive publicity. Unfortunately, some people out there still believe in that GM marketing B/S

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

That is B/S. Sorry.

Even the Gallardo managed to outperform the Z06 in a track test done by a professional race driver (Kurt Thiim) for the Powercar magazine.

The Z06 is massively overrated.

It all started with GM's claim of a 7:42 lap time. Unfortunately, GM forgot to state that this was the lap time with a flying start wheras all comparable data (sportauto supertest) has been derived at with a standing start.

This GM marketing B/S tells you a lot about this car. They need to cheat in order to get some positive publicity. Unfortunately, some people out there still believe in that GM marketing B/S

No one has ever showed me a Link which Proves the Z06 ran a 7.42 at the ring. If anyone knows of a link Please provide it?

Come on guys stop whining...its enough of whining from your porsche owners..please porsches are way over priced as oppose to a ferrari..and isnt all that anymore..the Z06 will walk all over any porsche for now without a hitch...in straight line, from a roll in a road course, no gallardo or F430 or TT can do squot about it, its sad to see people not able to admit it, the Z06 owners admit the lack of high quality interiors, but the porsche snobs just dont want to admit as a sports car Z06 is better..period..

Who the fluck cares if you can drive a sports car in the winter, in winter/snow i want to have my @$$ in a protective SUV..so it dont matter, I have seen several Z06 drive in snows, so for the lack of your driving skills dont blame the Z06, I have never had a AWD car in winter and we get enough snow here and I have never had a problem..

Seriously guys grow up..admit that nothing under 450k can touch the Z06 and the Blue Devil will rape any car under the all mightly bugatti or Saleen S7 TT...

For you to get awesome interiors, I am sure one of the tuners who regularly add high quality interiors to Porsches, Audis', Maybachs can do the same for the Z06 for a lot less, then I doubt any of the whiners can complain..

and for somee of you to say that GMs time was in accurate is so kiddish, i am sure you guys must be old , pretty old and talk like babies..you [censored] size wouldnt decrease if you admit that Z06 is truely a better performer than the TT, F430, Gallardo..

The exact same arguments you guys have for the Z06, the F430 and gallardo owners have for the TT...and you guys call BS then also..please be car fanatics and not some one insignificant car fan..the Z06 is no over rated car, as of now its the greatest car made south of a murcielago..

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Come on guys stop whining...its enough of whining from your porsche owners..please porsches are way over priced as oppose to a ferrari..and isnt all that anymore..the Z06 will walk all over any porsche for now without a hitch...in straight line, from a roll in a road course, no gallardo or F430 or TT can do squot about it, its sad to see people not able to admit it, the Z06 owners admit the lack of high quality interiors, but the porsche snobs just dont want to admit as a sports car Z06 is better..period..

Who the fluck cares if you can drive a sports car in the winter, in winter/snow i want to have my @$$ in a protective SUV..so it dont matter, I have seen several Z06 drive in snows, so for the lack of your driving skills dont blame the Z06, I have never had a AWD car in winter and we get enough snow here and I have never had a problem..

Seriously guys grow up..admit that nothing under 450k can touch the Z06 and the Blue Devil will rape any car under the all mightly bugatti or Saleen S7 TT...

For you to get awesome interiors, I am sure one of the tuners who regularly add high quality interiors to Porsches, Audis', Maybachs can do the same for the Z06 for a lot less, then I doubt any of the whiners can complain..

and for somee of you to say that GMs time was in accurate is so kiddish, i am sure you guys must be old , pretty old and talk like babies..you [censored] size wouldnt decrease if you admit that Z06 is truely a better performer than the TT, F430, Gallardo..

The exact same arguments you guys have for the Z06, the F430 and gallardo owners have for the TT...and you guys call BS then also..please be car fanatics and not some one insignificant car fan..the Z06 is no over rated car, as of now its the greatest car made south of a murcielago..

The Gallardo is faster on the track. The TT accelerates faster.

Not my personal opinon. Just the results of car magazine tests

The Z06 is massively overrated...

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

Perhaps Corvetteforums.com would suit you better.
    The C6Z is plastic, no matter how it performs. Also, on a winding road eith less than perfect surface (anywhere off the track), the C6Z will be watching the TT's rear, as it vanishes over the crest.
    Porsche overpriced, but Ferrari isn't? Last I've heard, you lived somewhere near Mexico, not in Europe. What do you know about quality anyway? I don't want to have to modify a car when I buy it, just to make it bearable to sit in. You buy a TT and you get a great all-rounder with great quality materials and finish. You just don't get that in a Corvette. I know, because I considered one.
    Again, if you don't like it here, you can go to Corvetteforums and tell all your friends how you taunted Porsche enthusiasts. It will suit you much better. Until then, keep driving that Ferrari-wannabe Corvette.

Porsche there is no substitude.
    guys don't even waste time responding to these guys, just look at them in their corvettes... enough said.

Oh!! so sad, you still couldnt come to accept it outright, but i figured it in your post, you are trying to agree to the fact that Z06 is a better performer...now I will agree Z06 is plastic in comparison to TT, now happy...good we came to the conclusion that Z06 is faster...

and you sir porsche has no substitute, thats the gayest thing i have ever heard...

F430 base 177k, Base TT 123k

number of same looking 997s? 30+k F430 something like 5k, and now you tell me 997 TT is worth it, please go and do some math..

Have you driven one? There is a reason so many smart and successful people buy Porsches, there is a reason why the 911 is THE benchmark sportscar, and there is also a reason that Porsche is number 1 in customer satisfaction and has the winningest motorsport history of any manufacturer. There is no substitute. I could give two sh!ts if the Z06 is faster, there is more to driving than straight lines.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

That was very funny.I actually laughed but then I realized you were serious...

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

number of same looking 997s? 30+k F430 something like 5k,

What

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    I think the Tip TT will be faster in the Quarter than the Z06, But its yet to be seen.

I agree, even the porsche brochures state that the tip is quicker in the quarter mile. In addition, bracket racing would be very cool with a tip. I would love to take a 997 Turbo to the red neck autobaun and smoke somes Z's.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Oh!! so sad, you still couldnt come to accept it outright, but i figured it in your post, you are trying to agree to the fact that Z06 is a better performer...now I will agree Z06 is plastic in comparison to TT, now happy...good we came to the conclusion that Z06 is faster...

and you sir porsche has no substitute, thats the gayest thing i have ever heard...

number of same looking 997s? 30+k F430 something like 5k, and now you tell me 997 TT is worth it, please go and do some math..

997TT is worth it - for those who have the money and thus are not limited to buying a Corvette

Quote:
    trip said:
    Have you driven one? There is a reason so many smart and successful people buy Porsches, there is a reason why the 911 is THE benchmark sportscar, and there is also a reason that Porsche is number 1 in customer satisfaction and has the winningest motorsport history of any manufacturer. There is no substitute. I could give two sh!ts if the Z06 is faster, there is more to driving than straight lines.

I did a research of recent Z06 tests yesterday evening: in 3 out of 4 the Corvette was .5 to 1.0 seconds slower 0-125mph than the 997TT! Only in one, the Corvette was on par with the TT (in fact .2 seconds faster...).

Therefore, to claim that the Z06 is faster in straight line acceleration is pure B/S. It is wishful thinking

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

I did a research of recent Z06 tests yesterday evening: in 3 out of 4 the Corvette was .5 to 1.0 seconds slower 0-125mph than the 997TT! Only in one, the Corvette was on par with the TT (in fact .2 seconds faster...).

Therefore, to claim that the Z06 is faster in straight line acceleration is pure B/S. It is wishful thinking

..just a remark on that Powercar test from Kurt Thiim. The Gallardo was on sport tires, the Z06 not. and Thiim said the z06 was the car he had most fun with. so i guess it's possible that the z06 is slightly faster than the 997tt on track, but even if, this would really just be marginal, so it's irrelevant IMO.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    crazi4speed said:

997TT is worth it - for those who have the money and thus are not limited to buying a Corvette

Not to mention that Porsche reduces prices for the US so all the whiney ex-Corvette owners can afford one . The difference between the 430 and the Turbo is $10.000 in Europe and you can get both in the same timeframe.

Lots of sour grapes on here. It's funny because when you ask Vette owners who has nicer build quality, the Z06 or the TT. The will all say the TT does. But when you ask which is faster the Porsche guys will never admit the Z might be faster. The TT is a great car, one o the best, but it just can't beat the Z06 in every category and there's nothing wrong with that. GM put together a car that would be a stunning performer and if you have every driven one you would believe it. Yeah the interior is mid grade materials but it's very well put together and that's exactly what they intended. MSN auto just rated the Vette on top for quality for the 3rd year in a row(http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020223). Sure they use mid grade materials but that's the point.
    And why are we supposed to trust Porsche and their Ring times and not trust GM? And they are all done with flying starts. What kind of [censored] would publish one that is not when they can get a faster time with one. Everything I have ever read references flying starts.
    I would be a little more upset if I owned a Ford GT. Of all of the races I have seen between those 2 the Z comes out on top.
    You guys should give the Z06 it's props. It's due them. It's just ugly when you can't admit what everyone else can clearly see.
    Ferraris and Lambos are more beautiful and passionate than Porsches and very few of you will argue that. It doesn't make Porsche any less great of a car. So what if the Z is faster. The TT is still the TT if you know what I mean.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Lots of sour grapes on here. It's funny because when you ask Vette owners who has nicer build quality, the Z06 or the TT. The will all say the TT does. But when you ask which is faster the Porsche guys will never admit the Z might be faster. The TT is a great car, one o the best, but it just can't beat the Z06 in every category and there's nothing wrong with that. GM put together a car that would be a stunning performer and if you have every driven one you would believe it. Yeah the interior is mid grade materials but it's very well put together and that's exactly what they intended. MSN auto just rated the Vette on top for quality for the 3rd year in a row(http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020223). Sure they use mid grade materials but that's the point.
    And why are we supposed to trust Porsche and their Ring times and not trust GM? And they are all done with flying starts. What kind of [censored] would publish one that is not when they can get a faster time with one. Everything I have ever read references flying starts.
    I would be a little more upset if I owned a Ford GT. Of all of the races I have seen between those 2 the Z comes out on top.
    You guys should give the Z06 it's props. It's due them. It's just ugly when you can't admit what everyone else can clearly see.
    Ferraris and Lambos are more beautiful and passionate than Porsches and very few of you will argue that. It doesn't make Porsche any less great of a car. So what if the Z is faster. The TT is still the TT if you know what I mean.

Nobpdy is disputing the fact that the C6Z is SERIOUSLY fast. What I am disputing is the fact that it will be faster on winding roads, where its track prowess might prove to be a hindrance. It was the same with the old GT2 and Turbo, where the Turbo was often found to be faster on normal roads, due to uneven surfaces.
    Don't think people here don't like Corvettes, most of us do. However, we dislike the idiots wo come here and troll our boards, touting the Corvette as the best sports car there is, better than all the euro trash overpriced Porsches and threatening to blow all our doors off (you know who ).
    Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Blue Devil/Stingray/SS can do, as long as the owners keep their big mouths shut and play nice.

Regarding ring times, Porsche are the ones who startzed the Ring craze. Why we can trust them? Because these times are always replicated by magazines, uaing a standing start. Chevrolet, on the other hand, has nothing but their word to prove it. Wait for the new supertests of the Corvette and the Turbo. You'll see.

I find it very strange that Porsche would use standing starts for their Ring tests. When have you ever heard of any other track lap times made from a standing start? Lap times in every form of motorsports are taking as "flying laps",afaik...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I find it very strange that Porsche would use standing starts for their Ring tests. When have you ever heard of any other track lap times made from a standing start? Lap times in every form of motorsports are taking as "flying laps",afaik...

They are standing starts, because it's a one-lap flat-out sprint. It's also much easier to stay consistant this way. Otherwise, what would a flying start look like? 60 mph? 100 mph? 20 mph?

They have always been flying starts from what I have ever heard. Here's a good demonstration of exactly how quick the Z06 is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EdGvms2VaGw
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/98c0da59-d89b-461e-aade-98100002e605.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/3ad6d833-5da9-4967-b9e4-9be3e8330c1f.htm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753063 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430698 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258591 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255454 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79501 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868303 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801855 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM