Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo test in Sport Auto

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Simple reason being is that the competitive landscape has dramatically changed from 2000 when the 996tt was introduced and Porsche has underestimated its competitors..
    (

This last statement of yours is a perfect summary of the problem:

The 997TT is a slight improvement of the 996TTS.

However, the competitors have improved their cars much more than Porsche has.

The result: Porsche has lost its competitive advantage. The 997TT is not good enough.

I really hate to say it. However, let's face the truth.

P.S.: In writing this I still claim that the 997TT is faster than Gallardo/F430 up to 310kph

I always agree with you, but the one thing that doesn't let me just say "ditto" ist the 0-160 mph acceleration test. How can the Turbo be faster if the Gallardo is supposed to be quicker, according to the test? Looks like a real-world test is in order .

Quote:
    993S said:
    They ended by saying : the Turbo is the ideal car for the person who would like to buy their Mercedes from Porsche. This statement is a little over for sure but it gives a good idea what Porsche is doing with the Turbo.

My personal opionion is that all this GT talk about the 997TT is B/S: The 997TT is as much a GT as the old 996TT

I really hope that they manage to develop a GT2 which can set new benchmarks (and has PSM). Otherwise, I might have a problem...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    993S said:
    They ended by saying : the Turbo is the ideal car for the person who would like to buy their Mercedes from Porsche. This statement is a little over for sure but it gives a good idea what Porsche is doing with the Turbo.

My personal opionion is that all this GT talk about the 997TT is B/S: The 997TT is as much a GT as the old 996TT

I really hope that they manage to develop a GT2 which can set new benchmarks (and has PSM). Otherwise, I might have a problem...

No you don't. Audi R8 or the Gallardo . However, if the GT2 is going to have 530 PS and a top speed of close to 330 km/h, I'm sure you don't have to worry about it. The only downside might be the PASM system.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Simple reason being is that the competitive landscape has dramatically changed from 2000 when the 996tt was introduced and Porsche has underestimated its competitors..
    (

This last statement of yours is a perfect summary of the problem:

The 997TT is a slight improvement of the 996TTS.

However, the competitors have improved their cars much more than Porsche has.

The result: Porsche has lost its competitive advantage. The 997TT is not good enough.

I really hate to say it. However, let's face the truth.

P.S.: In writing this I still claim that the 997TT is faster than Gallardo/F430 up to 310kph

I always agree with you, but the one thing that doesn't let me just say "ditto" ist the 0-160 mph acceleration test. How can the Turbo be faster if the Gallardo is supposed to be quicker, according to the test? Looks like a real-world test is in order .

That is indeed a very good question...

Either the test is B/S or RC's and my test car are / were not standard...

Either explenation should be correct, shouldn't it?

P.S.: I always agree with you as well

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    993S said:

No you don't. Audi R8 or the Gallardo . However, if the GT2 is going to have 530 PS and a top speed of close to 330 km/h, I'm sure you don't have to worry about it. The only downside might be the PASM system.

I think I am not a Lamborghini guy... And the R8 with the big engine will not be available before 2008 (according to Kreso)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    993S said:

I think I am not a Lamborghini guy... And the R8 with the big engine will not be available before 2008 (according to Kreso)

Good point, forgot about that. Perhaps the Turbo with the Powerkit and X73, when they become available, will be more to your tastes , and the GT2 also isn't far off.

EVO test is screwed

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    According to you AMS is right and Sport Auto is wrong...
    You are die hard 997 Turbo fan? Well, I am sportscars enthusiast, not single brand fan.
    How about recent comparison test in lates British EVO mag:
    997 Turbo(manual)
    0-60mph: 4.0s
    0-100mph: 8.7s
    0-160mph:27.5s

Lamborghini Gallardo
    0-60mph: 4.3s
    0-100mph:9.4s
    0-160mph:24.2s

Gallardo is faster then Turbo from 0-120/130/140/150/160mph!
    But, you will probably claim that EVO is very biased British magazine...

Imagine situation when Gallardo driver is driving 280km/h on the autobahn... When will 997 Turbo driver be able to overtake Her/Him? Never...

Just found the ultimate piece of evidence that there is something very wrong with the EVO test.

The Sportscars magazine published a 0-156mph figure of 20.9 seconds for the 997TT manual.

This number is consitent with RC's and my tests. However, the EVO numbers are completely out of range.

Thus I reccomend to dump the EVO test

Re: EVO test is screwed

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    You are die hard 997 Turbo fan? Well, I am sportscars enthusiast, not single brand fan.
    997 Turbo(manual)

Lamborghini Gallardo

Imagine situation when Gallardo driver is driving 280km/h on the autobahn... When will 997 Turbo driver be able to overtake Her/Him? Never...

Just found the ultimate piece of evidence that there is something very wrong with the EVO test.

The Sportscars magazine published a 0-156mph figure of 20.9 seconds for the 997TT manual.

This number is consitent with RC's and my tests. However, the EVO numbers are completely out of range.

BTW: Based on the Sportscars magazine numbers the delta between 997TT and Gallardo INCREASES at higher speeds - i.e. the 997TT gains distance the faster both cars go.

This is also consistent with the recent 997TT/Gallardo AB video posted on rennteam.

I guess, we have found several strong indications now that the Gallardo is indeed slower than the 997TT

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    997 Turbo(manual)

Lamborghini Gallardo

BTW: Based on the Sportscars magazine numbers the delta between 997TT and Gallardo INCREASES at higher speeds - i.e. the 997TT gains distance the faster both cars go.

This is also consistent with the recent 997TT/Gallardo AB video posted on rennteam.

I guess, we have found several strong indications now that the Gallardo is indeed slower than the 997TT

Or, pehaps, a good indication why it's a bad idea to buy a 997TT without SC?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    997 Turbo(manual)

Lamborghini Gallardo

Or, pehaps, a good indication why it's a bad idea to buy a 997TT without SC?

That could also be an explanation

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    That's truly amazing and I think magazines should always test these cars to 300 km/h.

i agree! that separates the wheat from the chaff!

Well, it does separate the quick cars from the fast cars. I can understand why that test would be important for someone in Germany (wish we had autobahns too )

But, there are many quick cars that are great fun in the mountains or on a track (where going 300kph is not even possible) - I wouldn't call them the "chaff"

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    That's truly amazing and I think magazines should always test these cars to 300 km/h.

Well, it does separate the quick cars from the fast cars. I can understand why that test would be important for someone in Germany (wish we had autobahns too )

But, there are many quick cars that are great fun in the mountains or on a track (where going 300kph is not even possible) - I wouldn't call them the "chaff"

Well, they do look like chaff coming off a jet fighter when the faster car leaves them in the dust on the Autobahn .

[Good point, forgot about that. Perhaps the Turbo with the Powerkit and X73, when they become available, will be more to your tastes , and the GT2 also isn't far off.

That's possible, but I think we should not loose sight of costs as well. 170-180000 for a GT2 is a very steep price, as it's just a derivate of the tt (no 4wd, bigger turbos, some different setup in suspension and electronics - just classical 'tuning' IMO).

anyway, will have to hop shortly and will be without internet connection. BUT I will join my good old - not so sporty but immensly enjoyable - 996tt down in Italy and scare every mamma crossing a street down there!!

so all of you have a nice weekend !!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Well, they do look like chaff coming off a jet fighter when the faster car leaves them in the dust on the Autobahn .

True, but a Benz 600 Twin Turbo will do that too and there's no great pleasure in driving one of those

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

True, but a Benz 600 Twin Turbo will do that too and there's no great pleasure in driving one of those

Well, you're correct, but it just seems funny that a luxo-barge can beat a Porsche and a Ferrari .

on an autobahn the 0-200kph time is absolutely not important. or do you stop your car each time you wanna race? ;-)

what's important is the acceleration from 80 or 100kph up to 200, 250 or topspeed.

so let's look at the 100-200kph time for the 997TT. here needs the porsche about 8.6 to 9.0 seconds. that's pretty fast, but not faster than the competition.

so where is the problem?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

BTW: The Mercedes S65 (V12 Bi-Turbo with 612hp) is just 2 seconds slower than the 997TT (0-250kph)

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Well, you're correct, but it just seems funny that a luxo-barge can beat a Porsche and a Ferrari .

It cannot beat the 997TT at least.

Powercar also tested the S65 (same issue as the 997TT test).

Acceleration figures (997TT Manual with SC / S65):

0-100 kph: 3.7 / 4.5
    0-200 kph: 12.1 / 13.6
    0-250 kph: 20.9 / 22.8

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

I should've said the Carrera . It seems that the TT even INCREASES its lead from 200 to 250 km/h. That's very good! Any word on how fast the 430 did it?

Quote:
    Crash said:

That's true since MB launched their first so called Sports-Limousine ever in 1969 (300 SEL 6.3 / V8 250 hp). This car was more or less on par with a 911 S (2.2 L 180 hp) in terms of straight line acceleration.

But why would a sports car enthusiast care about that

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

I should've said the Carrera . It seems that the TT even INCREASES its lead from 200 to 250 km/h. That's very good! Any word on how fast the 430 did it?

Car Magazines should commence testing 100-200kmh times using the best gear ratios rather than 5th or 6th. Nobody leaves their car in top gear when racing someone else on the highway!

Given the prodigious low-end torgue of the 997tt, it should get a jump on just about any other car in its class between 100-200kmh. The video of the Gallardo vs 997tt on the highway is a good example, with the tt pulling away every single time!!. Even if some other car may be faster beyond 200kmh (IMO - not likely), it will take a very long and deserted highway to catch the 997tt.

If this isn't fast enought for some of you, wait for the 997ttS version.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Unfortunately not

I whish they also did a test of the F430 and the Gallardo...

Would be interesting to see how it performs against the two in a side-by-side test. Also, I wonder if the Powerkit will match the C6Z in speed or not (as that car seems to be the king of the straight line currently).

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

BTW: The Mercedes S65 (V12 Bi-Turbo with 612hp) is just 2 seconds slower than the 997TT (0-250kph)

Consider what an SL65 would do (w/LSD, 400 less lbs of wt vs S65, and perhaps more aggressive SpeedShift programming than the S65 limo), esp in 100-300KPH run (obviously 997TT's AWD provides initial advantage in silly, academic 0-xxx launches)....and what a 599 could accomplish in 100-300KPH accel w/its NA, high-hp/high-tq motor and fast, latest F1 tranny-tech shift speeds....

Don't have specific times but have a Lond pal who owns 599, 997TT Tip, SL65 and Enzo...he recently took his cars to a track for some simple msmts....his casual obsvn was that for 100-300KPH accel, Enzo is still king, but then it's 599 and 997TT Tip in a close battle, w/599 edging out 997TT Tip....and SL65 trailing 997TT Tip...

Anyone yet see instrumented data of 100-300KPH for 997TT Tip vs 599 vs SL65?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Would be interesting to see how it performs against the two in a side-by-side test. Also, I wonder if the Powerkit will match the C6Z in speed or not (as that car seems to be the king of the straight line currently).

I am not sure about the Z06. I don't expect it to be faster than the standard 997TT (based on two or three tests I have read so far the 997TT is even faster up to 125kph). The 997TTx50 should be faster than the Z06 for sure.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Don't have specific times but have a Lond pal who owns 599, 997TT Tip, SL65 and Enzo...he recently took his cars to a track for some simple msmts....his casual obsvn was that for 100-300KPH accel, Enzo is still king, but then it's 599 and 997TT Tip in a close battle, w/599 edging out 997TT Tip....and SL65 trailing 997TT Tip...

Very interesting report Pretty much in line with what I would have expected (although it is interesting that the TT Tip offers similar 100-300kph performance as the 599GTB).

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Very interesting report Pretty much in line with what I would have expected (although it is interesting that the TT Tip offers similar 100-300kph performance as the 599GTB).

Indeed ....know a few guys getting early 599/997TT/65s in NYC/SF over next few mths....we can do our casual, amateur 100-200KPH tests on local, urban fwys, but we rely on our German pals (or Lond pals visiting the AB) to do 100-300KPH runs...and provide us early feedback on 599, since it sounds like 599 is the car of the season in MC, at least until the 599s head back to rainy Lond/Germany this Fall for proper daily, rain-weather urban "testing"....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Indeed ....know a few guys getting early 599/997TT/65s in NYC/SF over next few mths....we can do our casual, amateur 100-200KPH tests on local, urban fwys, but we rely on our German pals (or Lond pals visiting the AB) to do 100-300KPH runs...and provide us early feedback on 599, since it sounds like 599 is the car of the season in MC, at least until the 599s head back to rainy Lond/Germany this Fall for proper daily, rain-weather urban "testing"....

The thing is that I plan to wait until I testdrive the 599GTB (which would also enable me to take some performance figures like 200-300kph etc.). I would like to see clearer when Porsche will introduce the new GT2 and whether it will have PSM. As soon as I have sufficient information on Porsche's product pipeline I will also test the 599 in order to decide which car is best for me.

I will buy either 997TTx50/GT2 or 599GTB. Not both

For the subject above 250kmh. I agree on Kreso. I am a Gallardo owner and i know new 997TT will be faster than Gallardo untill 200kmh. But when i tested my car the car's acceleration is amazingly shockingly so good after 220-230kmh.I said myself "" 100-180 kmh acc is not so good but after 220-230kmh damn whats happening it is fast"" I can say Gallardo can reach Turbo maybe pass it after 270kmh.
    It is just my oppinion true or not dunno. It must be tested

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

The thing is that I plan to wait until I testdrive the 599GTB (which would also enable me to take some performance figures like 200-300kph etc.). I would like to see clearer when Porsche will introduce the new GT2 and whether it will have PSM. As soon as I have sufficient information on Porsche's product pipeline I will also test the 599 in order to decide which car is best for me.

I will buy either 997TTx50/GT2 or 599GTB. Not both

599s must be easy-to-get (and depreciation-prone) in Germany if your dealer has a demo car avail for test drives

I suspect demo 599s will be rather difficult to find in US ....but early 599 buyers will prob be able to drive their car for a yr for essentially free, given the likely 100% resale value b/c of F's lim US allocs, and will simply get another new F next yr to begin process again ....perversely, some could argue 599 is the "frugal"/sensible/budget-conscious car buyer's choice in US, but one needs real discretionary money to afford those fast-depreciating P/MB in US

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753826 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431030 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255603 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868575 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802313 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM