Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT, F430 and Gallardo Test in Auto Car

One of them is simply outclassed in real performance by the other two. Guess which one.

Link To Test Scans

Re: 997TT, F430 and Gallardo Test in Auto Car

Can't see the scans.Could you post them here? Thanks

they appear fine, but they are big, check your browser settings Walter.

Hey Jim,
    I think it is because you linked some of the pictures directly from Ferrarichat, so naturally, people would have to log into Ferrarichat to view the images. Next time you can just post the direct link if you have not hosted the images.

Thanks for the post!

I know

Gallardo #1
    Turbo #2
    Nick's Car #3

Re: I know

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Gallardo #1
    Turbo #2
    Nick's Car #3

Yea, but everyone wants Nick's car. What are you missing?

Wait so what does that mean, the GAllardo is great? cause most people look down on it compared to the other two....

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Gallardo #1
    Turbo #2
    Nick's Car #3

Whats that old quote.. "Theres a sucker born every minute" ?

Its obvious that the F430 appeals more to nolstagia ridden retirees and those rebelling about feeling guilty over their wealth.

They are all good, even that tarted up F360 thing now called the F430.

But now the Ferrari does seems closer to 8 track technology then to current race track technology.

All advantages to Lambo. Even its rear defroster is the fastest.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Its obvious that the F430 appeals more to nolstagia ridden retirees and those rebelling about feeling guilty over their wealth.

And most of these suckers don't happen to own Ferraris

I guess I am a minority since I am neither a retiree nor am I guilty .....it truly sucks to be me

Just goes to show how worthless magazine comparisons are. I don't let this one influence me any more than the rave wins the 430 registered in the R&T and C&D tests this month. Drive the ones that appeal, and buy the one that appeals most, it's as simple as that. They are all so close in perfomance it comes down to personal preference.

Gary

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

And most of these suckers don't happen to own Ferraris

I guess I am a minority since I am neither a retiree nor am I guilty .....it truly sucks to be me

Don't mean to hijack but how do you like your Maser Q?

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    Wait so what does that mean, the GAllardo is great? cause most people look down on it compared to the other two....

What they did not show you was this page. Read and understand what excitement means.

Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Just goes to show how worthless magazine comparisons are. I don't let this one influence me any more than the rave wins the 430 registered in the R&T and C&D tests this month. Drive the ones that appeal, and buy the one that appeals most, it's as simple as that. They are all so close in perfomance it comes down to personal preference.

Gary

Couldn't have said it better.

If you extrapolate from all the recent F, L and P comparo tests, they seem to have a similar theme.

The Ferrari does have the vivacious personality.But its kind of like having the sub woofer on your home theater system cranked up to make the walls shake. Fun for a while but then reality sets in. Besides where do you park it without creating a instant circus?

The others do what they do in a more serious way and apparently they do the basics better like handling, braking and accellerating.

The Lambo might be the right choice if you want a bit of both worlds but not too much, but still want a superior all around car sports car.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Gallardo #1
    Turbo #2
    Nick's Car #3

That's very true actually!
    I'd take a Gallardo over an F430 anytime.
    But Nick's car, well, that's something else!
    Problem is how much will it sell... a lot of celebs will fight for the one car!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Gallardo #1
    Turbo #2
    Nick's Car #3

That's very true actually!
    I'd take a Gallardo over an F430 anytime.
    But Nick's car, well, that's something else!
    Problem is how much will it sell... a lot of celebs will fight for the one car!

Yes, we would all fight for Nick's car .

you missed an important part of the article out

The tester is using a M6 as his long term test car,and states that he cannot justify the extra outlay over the m6 for any of these cars.It is as fast as the Porsche in a straight line,and more comfortable and practical than all of the others.
    But all are great cars it a matter of taste and preference.I only run one car so it has to be the turbo..if i ran a fleet the gallardo would be my first choice..the 06 model I have tried was stunning.

Re: you missed an important part of the article out

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    The tester is using a M6 as his long term test car,and states that he cannot justify the extra outlay over the m6 for any of these cars.It is as fast as the Porsche in a straight line,and more comfortable and practical than all of the others.

The M6 is a pretty boring car compared to a Porsche TT. The M6 feels like a big car with a big engine. The TT feels like a race car in comparison.

At least that is my personal view after driving the M6

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The others do what they do in a more serious way and apparently they do the basics better like handling, braking and accellerating.

Well, according to this one magazine anyway. Who do you choose to believe, and why? R&T showed the 430 to be superior in the numbers area, why not believe it? C&D picked the 430 as the comparo winner, why not believe them? Your prejudices are showing...which is true for all of us. Hopefully nothing will be decided for us by magazines.

Gary

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If you extrapolate from all the recent F, L and P comparo tests, they seem to have a similar theme.

The Ferrari does have the vivacious personality.But its kind of like having the sub woofer on your home theater system cranked up to make the walls shake. Fun for a while but then reality sets in. Besides where do you park it without creating a instant circus?

The Lambo might be the right choice if you want a bit of both worlds but not too much, but still want a superior all around car sports car.

Spoken by the man who hasn't driven a 430. When reality sets in you realize that the 430 is one of the greatest cars produced to date. It truly is everything every magazine says it is. It's a sublime driving experience. 2cnd to the Stradale that is. The Gallardo is so pedestrian compared to the Ferrari. Granted I haven't driven one wit the new gearing and exhaust on it but I found the 04-05 version to be pretty boring. Much like the 996TT.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    franki68 said:

The M6 is a pretty boring car compared to a Porsche TT. The M6 feels like a big car with a big engine. The TT feels like a race car in comparison.

fair enough,i thought the same after my first few months of ownership,but then as became accustomed to it began to appreciate it more and more,to the point where selling it for the incoming 997tt has saddened me.Its only my enthusiasm to return to a turbo Porsche that has lured me away.BUt it is a great car,and over 100mph is as fast as the turbo..and sounds a whole lot better to.

Don't know where your getting this "over 100 its as fast as the turbo." Is there a direct comparison of each cars acceleration over 100mph?

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    franki68 said:

fair enough,i thought the same after my first few months of ownership,but then as became accustomed to it began to appreciate it more and more,to the point where selling it for the incoming 997tt has saddened me.Its only my enthusiasm to return to a turbo Porsche that has lured me away.BUt it is a great car,and over 100mph is as fast as the turbo..and sounds a whole lot better to.

Above 100mph the M6 is nearly as fast as the old 996TTS. But much slower than the 997TT

Quote:
    trip said:
    Don't know where your getting this "over 100 its as fast as the turbo." Is there a direct comparison of each cars acceleration over 100mph?

We did a comparison of the 996TTx50 (450hp) and two M6 (one tuned and delimited the other not tuned and limited to 305kph).

The second (untuned) M6 was slower than the 996TTS above 240kph (however, only slightly slower). The tuned M6 was as fast as the 996TTS up to the Porsche's top speed. Then this M6 continued to accelerate beyond (real) 310kph.

The 997TT, however, is around 5-8 seconds quicker between 200 and 300kph than the 996TTS. Thus, the 997TT is much quicker than any M6 up to (real) 310kph.

Quote:
    trip said:

BTW: up to 200kph the 997TT gains around 1 seconds compared to the M6.

in that case why did an m6 in a flat out drag race in Autocars Uk high speed challenge reach the same terminal speed as the 997tt ? Both hit 167mph approx.
    And also please explain why i noticed the 997tt above 125 was no quicker than my M6.Don't get me wrong overall the 997tt is faster especially below 100mph,but if you did a rolling start race above 100mph the turbo would not pull much if at all from an m6.
    You can quote all the figures you want,and fyi i have seen m6s beat techart 996 turbos with 550bhp in a drag race..the porsche pulls away first but as the speed rises the m6 catches and then overtakes the 996tt.
    Please bear in mind that no bmw -v10 engine that has been dynoed has shown less then 530-540bhop ..that i know of.Two dyno testes in magazines over here showed outputs of 550bhp.
    i am not buying the tt for asn improvement in performance because having driven both ..it is negligible at higher speeds..but because of the handling and the fact that i can have a manual transmission.But in a straight line I was underwhelmed by the turbos performance after 100mph.

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    in that case why did an m6 in a flat out drag race in Autocars Uk high speed challenge reach the same terminal speed as the 997tt ? Both hit 167mph approx.
    And also please explain why i noticed the 997tt above 125 was no quicker than my M6.Don't get me wrong overall the 997tt is faster especially below 100mph,but if you did a rolling start race above 100mph the turbo would not pull much if at all from an m6.
    You can quote all the figures you want,and fyi i have seen m6s beat techart 996 turbos with 550bhp in a drag race..the porsche pulls away first but as the speed rises the m6 catches and then overtakes the 996tt.
    Please bear in mind that no bmw -v10 engine that has been dynoed has shown less then 530-540bhop ..that i know of.Two dyno testes in magazines over here showed outputs of 550bhp.
    i am not buying the tt for asn improvement in performance because having driven both ..it is negligible at higher speeds..but because of the handling and the fact that i can have a manual transmission.But in a straight line I was underwhelmed by the turbos performance after 100mph.

He isn't talking about the standard 996TT, but about the X50 powerkit version. That car DOES beat the M6 up to 310 km/h.
    Next up, the Autocar challenge, where the Turbo was 1 mph faster than the M6 and no, none of them did 167, that was the C6Z. The car probably didn't have Sport Chrono to do this badly, as MKSGR has tested a standard 996TT X50 against two M6s and they both lost to him.

Quote:
    franki68 said:

I am not reporting figures but personal experiences. We have the opportunity to test all these things in real live conditions on the Autobahn. And that's what we do

The major advantage of the 997TT vs. M6 or 996TTS is above 250kph. Below 250kph we are talking about 1-3 seconds, not more. 1-3 seconds correspond to 50-100m or so.

The ranking (based on these real live tests) is:

- 996TTS has approximately the same straight line performance as the M6 (the Porsche maybe slightly faster at very high speeds, depending on the M6 used for the test; the M6 will definitively not be faster)
    - the 997TT is definitively faster than any M6; up to 200kph the 997TT gains around 1 second; up to 300kph the 997TT will gain 5-10 seconds.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755891 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431830 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258920 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256036 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80017 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869084 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803265 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM