Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: So Exactly How Many Have Had Your Engine Replaced?

damn is porsche rly that unreliable now?

Quote:
    omeko3 said:
    damn is porsche rly that unreliable now?

Depends on how many forums and posts you read. But we do know that more than one engine has been toast afer a few thousnad miles, the exact number of toasted engines - a porsche SECRET , only the elves in bavaria know 4 sure

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Hit the 9,500 mile mark and while I was going through an intersection, heard some noise/static and lost all power. After waiting for Porsche Roadside Assistance for two hours, the car was towed to a local dealer. No problems with the car for almost two years until today. They will need to replace the engine and luckly, they have one in stock and it should be fixed by Monday.

So my question is, how many of you have had the engine replaced already?

After reading this thread it looks to be only one other had his engine replaced. That was a boxter. My engine is going great but only has 2200 miles on it.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Cost of a new engine with installation is something like us$10- 15K.

Sucks, but not tooooooo bad.

Imagine the cost of a new Ferrari engine!

A buddy's F355 Berlinetta gave up the ghost and needed its valve guides replaced... 9,000 USD. I can't imagine what a Ferrari engine would cost, MMD...

-don

The fact remains that in 1965-1989 when your Porsche needed something done to the engine it was fixed at the dealership. And NONE of their engines just gave up the ghost at 10,000 miles. I've seen more than few SC's with 300,000+ miles on their engines. I had a '86 cab with over 200,000 miles and the engine had only had oil changes for maintainace.

The M96/7 engines arn't built to the same level. There is next to no overbuilding in them, as opposed to the older 911 engines. There is a reason you can buy a crate engine for your 996 for approx $12,000! Then again I can't rebuild my engine for anything near $12,000 so...

From all the non-dealer mechanics I've talked to, fixing the RMS leak is not a one time thing. The mating serfaces are not good enough and it will happen to the engine again evenutually. And now I am starting to hear of a number of 996's that are starting to drop pistons...

So, does the dealer replace the engine with a brand spanking new one, or like Ford, do you get remanufactured parts..or engines?

Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    So, does the dealer replace the engine with a brand spanking new one, or like Ford, do you get remanufactured parts..or engines?

Who said it was brand new? Are we sure of that?

You get a remanufactured one as replacement. Not brand spanking new.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:

Are you sure of this??? RC, can you confirm this?

I'm not RC but I can confirm this 100%. A completely new engine would easily cost north of $30,000.

Anyone know if these are 997 3.8's or 3.6's that have had problems or is it both.

Quote:
    997ism said:
    Quote:
    Ronnie said:

Are you sure of this??? RC, can you confirm this?

Yes I am sure. you get remanufactured replacement engines (which you will have to run / break in again) and not brand new.

Update: When the car arrived at the dealer, the engine started and sounded OK! The service advisor said what wrong with this customer! Then thirty seconds later, it groans and stops. Now oil is leaking all over. Engine ordered on Friday, delivered on Monday, by Monday night, car was fixed, picked it up on Tuesday morning. Amazing how fast to get a new engine. Cost if Porsche does not pickup the tab: $18,500. Getting the car back: priceless.

engine replacement occurs in all marques. i had a c32 amg mercedes that threw a rod at 9k mi. engine replacement took 6 bloody weeks! car was perfect afterwards. mercedes paid for 2 months of lease payments. at least porsche does it quicker.

-----from talking with dealers in Canada, and reading the top 4 Porsche mags, the RMS is the remaining statistically significant flaw. I have 11000 km on my 997 and all is well ---which is 'normal' (90+ %).

However, my oher car-background is Acura (NSX, TL-05) and in that context I am truly amazed that PAG cannot, or will spend the $ to fix, the RMS. Honda-Acura would not live withthat.

The 3.6/3.8 are not so VERY highly developed: the 3.2l TL has 270bhp and with size and power being proportional usually, that is 304bhp for a 3.6l. Now that is only a sports exhaust, sports air-cleaner and an ECU from 321bhp(PAG 3.6). TLs run for ever with no engine reapirs and sound wonderful doing it-----I have a Comptech exhaust on mine and that is now delivering circa 290bhp.

So I love the 997, splendid car in all respects, but the awareness that the engine is more 'vulnerable' keeps me from using all the power, as often as I did with the NSX------ it is SO strong compared to most everything else on the raod that 5000rpm is enough most of the time, with the torque and close gear ratios it is faster than my NSX ever was---------

Cheers KiwiCanuck

The latest Porsche World magazine (UK magazine) has an excellent article on the M96 engine. Apparently problems were fixed starting with the '01 models so it should less common starting with '01. Keep in mind the M96 is an all new water cooled engine. I'm not too surprised there were some bugs the first few years. I think we can expect the next version (M98?) to be better.

David

Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    However, my oher car-background is Acura (NSX, TL-05) and in that context I am truly amazed that PAG cannot, or will spend the $ to fix, the RMS. Honda-Acura would not live withthat.

Is this one of the reasons why some people consider Honda to currently be the best engine builder in the world while Porsche is the most profitable?

I was told today by various Porsche people that they have never heard of any OPCs (in the UK at least) having whole engines in stock (as that would mean they'd have to pay for them). Neither had they heard of any 997s engines having to be replaced.

So perhaps it IS that this board is just a condenser for listing problems with cars.

Actually, that's not a bad estimated price for a Porsche engine. And even the actual $18,500 is pretty reasonable. I used to have a 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, with the V-6 double overhead cam Yamaha engine. Back in the early 1990's, a new engine cost $14,000 from the factory.

Jim

And what about the resell value with the engine replaced ?

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    And what about the resell value with the engine replaced ?

With high production rates there is no chance that any of these cars will be considered 'collectible' and the whole notion of 'matching numbers' has less significance. As long as you have the paper trail to show what they did, that's all you're going to need.

Dan

It's much more likely for a limited production engine like any of the Porsche models to have a given percentage of failures than a high volume engine from Honda.

To put it the other way around, even if the more Honda 6 cylindar engines failed, it could be a much smaller percentage of the total shipped. And given that their rate of change is lower, the design flaws are flushed out very early in the life, which can span many years.

Porsche, on the other hand, builds a much smaller number of engines and changes them very frequently.

This is my first post.

I am here because my 2003 Targa (23,000 miles) developed a nice knocking/tapping/rattling noise between the trans and engine on the drivers side-but more towards the engine. they told me the engine may need replacement and that they were waiting for an email back from the prosche.
    I hope to hear tomorrow. the car is still under warranty but I have this sinking feeling they will tell me it is not covered somehow. No reason, just paranoid.

After telling me it was a non repeatable noise I asked the tech to come and listen and he actually agreed that it was there and not normal. Later they called and told me I may need a new (remanufactured) engine. If I did not know what I was talking about they would have sent me home thinking it was "normal" to have a porsche engine that sounded like ball bearings shaking in an empty coffee can.

My guess is that it is a cam chain slapping around (or any suggestions?). It can be heard mostly at idle.

This is my 4th prosche and each one has had an engine problem.

1972 T oil leaks/F/I problems/chain tensioner
    1979 SC-rings
    1981 SC Engine got tired at 80K
    996 will find out tomorrow.....

I dont race, and take great care of my cars. I have 130,000 on my expedition and never had one problem with it.

The sick thing is I will probably buy another one (prosche that is) when I can afford a GT3 or Turbo. I still love the car.

Let's not forget that often engines "fail" because of driver error or abuse......it's not always a manufacturing fault.

I just heard the first word back today from my dealer about the knocking in my 996. they said that Porsche asked them to conduct two tests. Some sort of oil pressure test and then they wanted a read on the computer to see if it had been abused. the good news is that the oil pressure was fine and the computer showed no abuse (no over revs). they sent this back to prosche and Monday I will hear about the repair. the dealer did say that they are now starting to rebuild/repair engines rather than just replace but he did not know what they would suggest. I will find out on Monday but now that I have read all about engine replacements on this site, rather than fixes, I wonder how well trained the mechanics are since they have only done replacements all these years.

I almost wish I would get the new/rebuild but we shall see.

My original post looks like I might abuse cars but really I dont, I think I just have been unlucky enough to get cars that have had each of the well known issues. As an Engineer I realize that Porsche pushes the limit- this means that things can go wrong.
    Just look at the space shuttle, you could say that it is the highest tech machine in the world but because they are pushing the limit they too can have failures. Maybe a stretch comparison but just to make a point.

Of course I am down over this but realize that in the end I will be back in the car enjoying it.

Porsche did a fiew more tests.They checked for metal in the oil (found none) and they checked play in one of the shafts (not sure which one). It also turned out to be fine. Only after this Porsche approved a new engine. It should be ready tomorrow. Even though the clutch was fine I had them put a new one in. This saved the cost of labor (the clutch pack cost was $625. I figure if I have a new engine I might as well replcae the clutch.
    I looked at he engine they put it prior to it going in. I understand that it is "remanufactured" but it looked absolutely brand new to me. Frankly I am excited to get a new motor.

I got my"new engine" for my 2003 996 targa. I know there have been discussions on new vs remanufactured. I was told it was remanufactured so I asked to look at it before they put it in (I had visions of a used looking motor replacing my old motor which still looked new). they took it out of a crate and it was absolutely like new. There was not one old part that I could see or detect. The motor was 100% complete less the air conditioner pump. It had all new hoses, wiring harness, injection parts virtually everything was complete and new. this is not a "short block" type replacement. they basically just use your old flywheel and belt and bolt the rest in. I was really impressed. I have to say that I fall into the category of person that is happy to get a new motor. The new engine is absolutely smooth and runs better than the original (seems the variable cam system is smoother around 3100 RPM). I have not brought it over 4,000 RPM per break in instructions but it really runs great below 4k.

So while I was very dissapointed over the problem, I am now absolutely satisfied. The service at Rusnak in Pasadena was perfect. They always kept me informed with emails.

In my opinion (now), if you are given the diagnosis that you need a new motor dont be worried, take it.

By the way, there was another remanufactured motor in a crate next to mine ready to be installed. It was a 997 motor.

Lucky they had the engine in stock!!!!!?????? My sun visor broke and it has been on back order for over a month. To actually have an engine in stock in this day and age of minimal parts in the shop suggests this may really be a bigger problem than one would first think.

I had my head gasket replaced at 6800 miles in my 2006 C2S due to a slow coolant leak that apparently was caused by a crack in the head gasket. There were no exterior leaks anywhere.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM