Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ipod and bluetooth not a priority at Porsche

I just back from my dealer's workshop. The workshop manager (their top man) has just returned from Germany a few days ago. I asked him about ipod and bluetooth release dates, and he replied that he had a discussion with someone in Germany and was told that "these are small things and they need seperate/dedicated resources to develop in place." He also understood from them that "there are 3rd party solutions, hence, not a high priority."

The impression I got is that it will take more time and it would be better to install a 3rd party solution rather than wait.

I'm also installing PSE (finally). Delivery after 24 hours. Can't wait to hear the sound.

Re: ipod and bluetooth not a priority at Porsche

how can this not be the priority with Panamera in development? the technology is a must have these days and would be reusable accross the product range !?!?
    These details are embarrassing for Porsche..

Dealers over here offer blue tooth for a small premium and it works similar to an OE system.
    And you do not see it either so no aftermarket things in/on your dash.

Quote:
    993S said:
    Dealers over here offer blue tooth for a small premium and it works similar to an OE system.
    And you do not see it either so no aftermarket things in/on your dash.

Please give me an example of a brand that does not show on the Dashboard.

I have to admit that, while these seem like they could be nice features to have, they don't seem all that important to me either. I'm glad to hear that they're not at the top of Porsche's priority list. I'd hate to see a time come when Porsche is focusing more on cellphone integration and music systems than on the next great way to squeeze increased performance out of their cars. I just hope that today when they are working on such toys and gadgets it's done in addition to, not instead of, R&D on performance.

With all the profit they make, they can surely hire engineers to work on BT and iPod, and by nature, these people would have nothing to do with the 'engineering-that-makes-our-car-go-faster' :-)

So they have no time for iPod integration, yet they can provide the crummy wart on the dashboard ? They provide Bose speakers and a CD changer system ? Give me a break. If they were able to integrate a CD changer they should be able to integrate the iPod. Perhaps they feel they can't charge the same exorbitant markup for the iPod solution that they do for the CD changer...

I agree with TimN.

In fact, I think cellphones are the biggest safety hazards on the roads today .They should be illegal for use in cars.

And rather than scrolling thru hundreds of I-Pod tunes on the display, how about keeping your eyes on the road .

and I'm with jcs...

for me, iPod and bluetooth are nice, but not must-haves. This coming from someone who owns a ROKR (which combines bluetooth and iTunes). I'd rather see Porsche upgrade some of the standard interior pieces, like the flimsy sunvisors.

We are working on a group buy (US only for now) on the iPod integration kit....

Email me

name
    year/model Porsche
    Nav or no
    CD changer or no
    Bose or no

eric@bumperplugs.com

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    e had a discussion with someone in Germany and was told that "these are small things and they need seperate/dedicated resources to develop in place."

Sounds like nav software was "small thing" too.

Nice attitude..., sooooo demonstrative of "Excellence."

Re: ipod and bluetooth not a priority at Porsche - CORRECT!

iPod, bluetooth, cell phones, NAV, heavy upgraded stereos, and even electrical windows/seats should not be a priority in a sports car like a 911. JMO.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    I asked him about ipod and bluetooth release dates, and he replied that he had a discussion with someone in Germany and was told that "these are small things and they need seperate/dedicated resources to develop in place." He also understood from them that "there are 3rd party solutions, hence, not a high priority."

Not a priority....But hey, I'm glad they spent that priority time on developing the cup holders & illuminated door sills.....What a load of cr@p!!!! Yet they seemed to find time to utilise systems (MOST fibre)that thwart 3rd parties from being able to provide solutions.....

Quote:
    TimN said:
    I have to admit that, while these seem like they could be nice features to have, they don't seem all that important to me either. I'm glad to hear that they're not at the top of Porsche's priority list. I'd hate to see a time come when Porsche is focusing more on cellphone integration and music systems than on the next great way to squeeze increased performance out of their cars. I just hope that today when they are working on such toys and gadgets it's done in addition to, not instead of, R&D on performance.

Sorry but I disagree with you 100%. Porsche might be slow in bringing products to market but they are not crazy. Putting time into features like iPod, Sat Radio, Bluetooth will not take away from R&D from a performance standpoint. You really don't believe they are sitting in a meeting room saying hey we can develop iPod for the 997 or we can develop 10 more hp. It comes down to what people are buying and more and more people are buying cars with these features. This is the same as when us Americans wanted cup holders in our cars. Porsche spent time working that into the car and it still goes fast. The reality is no matter how fast or how much performace porsche puts into the car we will always want more. Being satisfied is not something most people will do.

Hi I would be interested. 2006 C4 Cab, nav, Bose, no cd changer.
    Let me know what you are planning. Tx in advance.

Heh, I seem to remember this kind of conversation occurs at regular intervals among Porsche owners -- remember "why does a 911 need a cup holder?". It's just the same old argument.

I guess my curiousity is why doesn't Porsche just provide what the customer wants, and charge accordingly? Like the previous poster said, if they can itegrate a CD changer, why not an iPod? And charge $1000 for it -- most people would pay. Not smart, but I know alot of Porsche owners who order any old option they can think of just so they can say "my car is top of the line, fully loaded, blah, blah,..."

Quote:
    maquimike said:...I know alot of Porsche owners who order any old option they can think of just so they can say "my car is top of the line, fully loaded, blah, blah,..."

Those are not Porsche fans... they are poseurs. They own Porsche cause it's fashionable, but they might as well drive any other fad of the moment.

They Dont Care About It - Bottom Line

I do think its a priority thing with them. Every business adjusts their product based on the perceived demand for whatever enhancement relative to the amount of money they can make off it. Its as simple if spend X to develop Y but only Z will buy it and we never recoupe the costs so why bother. I work in a technology company and that is our mindset. This is especially prevalent in today's hyper cost conscious world.

From what I have heard, in Germany they really dont like people driving while drinking coffee/soda/whatever. They feel its irresponsible particularly at high speed. That is why the German car companies have resisted cup holders for so long. Its possible they feel that ipod/blue tooth will be even more distracting.

I am just putting the idea out there. Personally I feel the cars are getting too electronics heavy and are catering to the poseur who wants the Porsche image but really wants a car that is like a Lexus.

As a dealer I dealt with told me last year when he was dealing with an obnoxious customer, if you are more concerned with the stereo than the car you are shopping at the wrong car company.

Re: They Dont Care About It - Bottom Line

Not being able to hook up an iPod, a 4 year old device that has sold 40 MILLIONS times with a 50 year old technology (one cable!) in a $70,000+ car is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

P is not even mentionned...All the debate on their engineers focusing on making faster cars is pointless.
    Everybody is doing it. From GM to Ferrari !!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/08/03/ipods.cars.ap/index.html

With all due respect, I don't think this is a "German" trend. Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW have all offered iPod connections and bluetooth for some time. If I recall correctly, BMW were one of the first companies to do so. See www.ipodyourbmw.com for example.

I just think it's a "Porsche" thing rather than a "German" thing. IMHO Porsche simply doesn't treat "gadgety creature comforts" with the same degree of importance as other manufacturers.

Since Porsche is moving gradually away from being a volume producer of a narrow range of very high performance sports cars to being a volume manufacturer of "sportier performance cars for all" (where there is a model for everyone as illustrated by the presence of the Cayenne, Panamera etc in the model range) then they will need to appreciate that this changes their customer profile and those different customers simply expect different things from their cars. i.e. the guy who buys a GT3 RS may be a totally different person with a different family situation from the guy with a Cayenne S with kids who want TV screens in the back of the front seat head restraints.

All Porsche cares about is the bottom line. Let's assume that Porsche will get a 50% net margin on sales of the ipod adapter which is priced at $200. Let's also assume that they sell an ipod interface in 20% of their cars (assume annual sales 100,000 vehicles). This means that they will create an economic value of 100,000 x 20% x $100 = $2,000,000.

All this ipod hassle for $2 MM. That's why Porsche puts it at low priotiy.

If it were my business, I'd do the same

Except some people won't buy a car without the hookup.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    As a dealer I dealt with told me last year when he was dealing with an obnoxious customer, if you are more concerned with the stereo than the car you are shopping at the wrong car company.

Yea and I'm sure the dealer didn't take any of the extra profit from the extra "stuff" the person was putting on the car right

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    All Porsche cares about is the bottom line. Let's assume that Porsche will get a 50% net margin on sales of the ipod adapter which is priced at $200. Let's also assume that they sell an ipod interface in 20% of their cars (assume annual sales 100,000 vehicles). This means that they will create an economic value of 100,000 x 20% x $100 = $2,000,000.

All this ipod hassle for $2 MM. That's why Porsche puts it at low priotiy.

If it were my business, I'd do the same

Glad you don't work for Porsche. The issues is features that the consumer wants. If it cost Porsche 100,000 to make 2,000,000 annually then that is a great deal. Now I don't know what it would cost to implement but it can't be that much can it Really we could look at everything that way. Why did Porsche put Nav or Bose or elecric windows, etc in the car (because the consumer said that is what they want). If enough peopole say they want it (i.e. Cup Holder for us US drivers) then Porsche will put it in.

And this news from Apple regarding iPod integration:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/03ipod.html

I read somewhere that the current MOST bus system will be
    gone for the MY2008 models.

So that means all new heads for radios and the PCM starting then.

Sure I would like this as an option from Porsche but its just not that hard to do aftermarket. It pasues the CD player and has great voice dial features. Here is a picture of my Rosen system in my 2007 997TT

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Except some people won't buy a car without the hookup.

Which is a positive thing if you think about it. You don't want such people driving around in Porsche's. Let those people get a BMW instead

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761989 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435123 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260384 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257467 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80907 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871981 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807341 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM