Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

According to the latest issue of Autobild the 997 MK II (2008) will get the following technical upgrades:

> 7 gear manual gearbox (keeps us manual guys on par with the auto-tranny guys )

> more HP (no numbers mentioned)

> reworked chassis (no details mentioned, but it may refer to the retractable front spoiler- see other thread)

You may take it with a grain of salt, but AB talks about the changes like they are facts rather than rumors.

Re: 7 gear manual + more hp for MY 08 ?

That must be a first 7 speed manual???

manual tranny with 7 gears, you have got to be kidding me?

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    manual tranny with 7 gears, you have got to be kidding me?

7 gearings would only be good for refinements on the track; since tracking voids warrenty it won't be useful to the street car. The car which has so much hp/tq it really only needs a two speed gearbox: 1st and 3rd gear (ok and 6th to get top speed).

It's almost impossible to work a 7 gear manual that isn't sequential. Think of the gearing, the shifts would be loopity loop?

7 gear manual - sounds fishy.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    It's almost impossible to work a 7 gear manual that isn't sequential. Think of the gearing, the shifts would be loopity loop?

I was going to post the exact same thing. At the very first blown engine due to a driver downshifting 3 gears instead of 1, we're going to see the good ol' 6-gear tranny rise from the dead in 30 seconds flat.

Quote:
    boxsterboy said:
    That must be a first 7 speed manual???

Indeed the article emphasizes that it will be the first 7 spd. manual ever, but maybe they are just mixing it up with the 7spd PDK auto tranny

Yes, this doesn't look like manual to me, much more like PDK (DSG equiv)...

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=56...=1&sparte=4

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Yes, this doesn't look like manual to me, much more like PDK (DSG equiv)...

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=56...=1&sparte=4

Exactly. It must be a DSG type of tranny. I don't think there are alot of people who wants to fiddle with a 7 speed manual. There is simply too much work with the clutch which means that there is a big chance of people not being able to reach the claimed 0-100km/h or 0-200km/h times.

More news from yesterday:

New Transmission Will Replace Tiptronic

For many years now Porsche has set the sports car benchmark. Their engineering department has taken what is considered the worst layout for a sports car, a rear-mounted engine hanging out the back, and made it work to a degree that front- and mid-engined sports cars are often left in its dust. Almost more impressive, however, the 911 doesnt compromise from the perspective of drivability, resulting in a car that can hang with everything from a Viper to a Ferrari on the racetrack but, on the way home, offers comfort, convenience features, reliability and fuel economy matched by few rivals. But as good as their current cars are, Porsche has one weak point: its less-than-sporting automatic transmission.

Shared with Volkswagen, the Porsche-developed slushbox is the well-known torque-converter equipped Tiptronic transmission. Outselling the manual by quite a margin, this automatic gearbox was one of the first manual-shifted automatics on the market, and while it was heralded as excellent and ingenious in its day, the onset of newer, more advanced (and simply better) technology has left it in the proverbial dust. Recognizing this, Volkswagen contracted BorgWarner to build a newer, better box for use in the various high-performance Audi models. What BorgWarner came back with was the Direct-Shift Gearbox, or DSG.

Sporting two clutches in place of the Tiptronics torque converter, the DSG sequential-manual was greeted with open arms by the enthusiast community. Always engaged, the DSG unit uses an inner and an outer clutch to engage and disengage cogs. The outer pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5; while the inner clutch pack drives 2, 4, and 6. Using complicated electronic algorithms, the drivers selected gear is engaged by one clutch pack while the previous gear is disengaged by the other. The result is lag-free, seamless, predictable shifts that can be easily tuned for different situations by simply changing the clutch packs modulation. Compared to the slow, jerky, and cumbersome Tiptronic gearbox, the DSG is light years ahead and miles better.

So, it makes logical sense that Porsche should choose to assimilate that technology at the first opportunity (especially now that theyre a majority owner of VW group); which they did. But in grand Porsche over-engineering fashion, theyve gone one better; quite literally. Developing their own variant of the DSG box, Porsche filed a patent indicating the company will be unleashing the worlds first seven speed DSG gearbox upon the public.

Expected to see duty in everything from the lowly (relatively) Cayman and Boxster models all the way up to the upcoming Carrera GT-based GT1 racecar, it turns out the development program is surprisingly far along, and Porsche apparently hoped to have had the gearbox completed for use in the new 911 Turbo.

This said, they havent publisized even a tentative date of release, although, it an announcement is expected soon

I would hate to have ordered a 997TT tip, because despite the magic perf they achieved, you have nothing more than a model 'in-waiting' for the DSG whose development was delayed...
    Anyway, manual for me :-) Always !

I doubt there is going to be a 7 speed manual. BMW couldn't figure out how to make one and are bringing out a 6 speed manual as an alternative to the 7 speed SMG on the M5.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    More news from yesterday:

New Transmission Will Replace Tiptronic

For many years now Porsche has set the sports car benchmark. Their engineering department has taken what is considered the worst layout for a sports car, a rear-mounted engine hanging out the back, and made it work to a degree that front- and mid-engined sports cars are often left in its dust. Almost more impressive, however, the 911 doesnt compromise from the perspective of drivability, resulting in a car that can hang with everything from a Viper to a Ferrari on the racetrack but, on the way home, offers comfort, convenience features, reliability and fuel economy matched by few rivals. But as good as their current cars are, Porsche has one weak point: its less-than-sporting automatic transmission.

Shared with Volkswagen, the Porsche-developed slushbox is the well-known torque-converter equipped Tiptronic transmission. Outselling the manual by quite a margin, this automatic gearbox was one of the first manual-shifted automatics on the market, and while it was heralded as excellent and ingenious in its day, the onset of newer, more advanced (and simply better) technology has left it in the proverbial dust. Recognizing this, Volkswagen contracted BorgWarner to build a newer, better box for use in the various high-performance Audi models. What BorgWarner came back with was the Direct-Shift Gearbox, or DSG.

Sporting two clutches in place of the Tiptronics torque converter, the DSG sequential-manual was greeted with open arms by the enthusiast community. Always engaged, the DSG unit uses an inner and an outer clutch to engage and disengage cogs. The outer pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5; while the inner clutch pack drives 2, 4, and 6. Using complicated electronic algorithms, the drivers selected gear is engaged by one clutch pack while the previous gear is disengaged by the other. The result is lag-free, seamless, predictable shifts that can be easily tuned for different situations by simply changing the clutch packs modulation. Compared to the slow, jerky, and cumbersome Tiptronic gearbox, the DSG is light years ahead and miles better.

So, it makes logical sense that Porsche should choose to assimilate that technology at the first opportunity (especially now that theyre a majority owner of VW group); which they did. But in grand Porsche over-engineering fashion, theyve gone one better; quite literally. Developing their own variant of the DSG box, Porsche filed a patent indicating the company will be unleashing the worlds first seven speed DSG gearbox upon the public.

Expected to see duty in everything from the lowly (relatively) Cayman and Boxster models all the way up to the upcoming Carrera GT-based GT1 racecar, it turns out the development program is surprisingly far along, and Porsche apparently hoped to have had the gearbox completed for use in the new 911 Turbo.

This said, they havent publisized even a tentative date of release, although, it an announcement is expected soon

The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche. Trouble with the Bugatti DSG is the weight which is commanded by the fact that it has to support 1000NM of tourque. This is not the case with Porsches so they are working on a much smaller and lighter version...

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche.

That's exactly the confusing element in the AB article.
    They are saying: "das weltweit erste Siebengang-Schaltgetriebe" = world-wide first seven gear manual gearbox.
    So the world first claim only could be true if it's a manual gearbox. But it may be just another example of bad journalism
    Here's the link to the short article: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=11902

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    The Bugatti DSG is the first and only 7 gear DSG ever built (also belonging to VW group). So it wouldnt be a world first for Porsche.

That's exactly the confusing element in the AB article.
    They are saying: "das weltweit erste Siebengang-Schaltgetriebe" = world-wide first seven gear manual gearbox.
    So the world first claim only could be true if it's a manual gearbox. But it may be just another example of bad journalism
    Here's the link to the short article: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=11902

Schaltgetriebe means manual in German, we can agree on that. A 7-speed manual... That will be cool !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435564 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257644 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM