Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

So Exactly How Many Have Had Your Engine Replaced?

Hit the 9,500 mile mark and while I was going through an intersection, heard some noise/static and lost all power. After waiting for Porsche Roadside Assistance for two hours, the car was towed to a local dealer. No problems with the car for almost two years until today. They will need to replace the engine and luckly, they have one in stock and it should be fixed by Monday.

So my question is, how many of you have had the engine replaced already?

Re: So Exactly How Many Have Had Your Engine Replaced?

What was the problem that the engine had to be replaced? Did it truly have to be replaced...couldn't be repaired
    Mine is close to 9500 so it would be interesting to know.

Porsche's policy since the 996 has been to replace the engine at the most minute problem. Customers aren't told whether a single component has failed or whether the engine was genuinely toast.
    Dealers don't know either, since they are to send broken engines to the factory without trying to repair them themselves.

Wow, that's a pretty quick swap. Remember break in. Imagine this kind of stuff out of warranty?

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Imagine this kind of stuff out of warranty?

tell us in the UK about it, paltry 2 years warranty cover

Any idea why the Porsche warranty in the UK is 1/2 as long as in the US?

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

My first guess would be that other mfgr's new cars sold in Europe have similarly short warrenties. In usa they average 3-6 years, don't they?

Virtually all cars in the UK are sold with a 3 year warranty with the exception of Porsche at 2 years. Mine will run out in a few months time and I'm about to start looking at extending it - stories like this worry me big time.

Cost of a new engine with installation is something like us$10- 15K.

Sucks, but not tooooooo bad.

Imagine the cost of a new Ferrari engine!

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Mine will run out in a few months time and I'm about to start looking at extending it - stories like this worry me big time.

Yeah, but you're hearing a very concentrated number of complaints on these boards.

It would seem everyone of us here has about a one-in-five chance of getting a major F up.

But we really exist in the real world so those chances gotta be what...? One in a thousand? One in five thousand? (only Porsche knows: dammit) Just a silly guess but gotta be huge compared to what it seems here.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Mine will run out in a few months time and I'm about to start looking at extending it - stories like this worry me big time.

Yeah, but you're hearing a very concentrated number of complaints on these boards.

It would seem everyone of us here has about a one-in-five chance of getting a major F up.

But we really exist in the real world so those chances gotta be what...? One in a thousand? One in five thousand? (only Porsche knows: dammit) Just a silly guess but gotta be huge compared to what it seems here.

Yeah - fair point - it's easy to get the wrong idea from reading these boards... All the same, that extended warranty does have a certain appeal...

Quote:
    Ed J said:

Yeah - fair point - it's easy to get the wrong idea from reading these boards... All the same, that extended warranty does have a certain appeal...

Oh, I'll probably get one too. I mean you pay up front and you can relax a bit. My concern is getting the right warrenty company. It's just hearsay on my part but I hear they tend to be tricky in the fine print and have a penchant for going out of business. AWGGGH! Now we gotta reasearch all that cr*p.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

Oh, I'll probably get one too. I mean you pay up front and you can relax a bit. My concern is getting the right warrenty company. It's just hearsay on my part but I hear they tend to be tricky in the fine print and have a penchant for going out of business. AWGGGH! Now we gotta reasearch all that cr*p.

Exactly - I will probably leave it to the last minute and then just buy the overpriced (but safe) Porsche warranty.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Hit the 9,500 mile mark and while I was going through an intersection, heard some noise/static and lost all power. After waiting for Porsche Roadside Assistance for two hours, the car was towed to a local dealer. No problems with the car for almost two years until today. They will need to replace the engine and luckly, they have one in stock and it should be fixed by Monday.

So my question is, how many of you have had the engine replaced already?

Wow we pay all this money and you lose an engine with less then 10K miles on it. Hey like I always say "cars are made by man".

PS. I'm more shocked that your dealer would have a 997 engine in stock. Why would a dealer have an entire engine in stock? Maybe this is more common they we would like to believe.

My Boxster went dead and they towed it called me and said it needed a new engine, said it died BIG,.. 3 days later they had a fix. I freaked..Ruined how I felt about the car could never trust it again. Never knew if I was gonna be stranded and where...and it had under 10k.

Believe me, if I hear Porsche tell me another Pcar of mine needs an engine especially the 997. I am getting a lawyer and making them buy back the car. Ruins the new concept IMO

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

Probably for the same reason that dogs lick themselves: because they can.
    Only 2 years,...I did not know that.

In simple mathematical terms extended warranties have to be a bad bet, it just depends what utility you place on peace of mind as to whether its attractive to you.

Quote:
    snarf said:

In simple mathematical terms extended warranties have to be a bad bet, it just depends what utility you place on peace of mind as to whether its attractive to you.

Some extended warranty deals are much better than others obviously. On a Honda Hybrid I just bought recently an 8 year, 120K mile is just over $900 and it's offered by Honda.(not some other bogus third party) Yea, it's a Honda but with all the techy Hybrid stuff it could be big bucks if something goes wrong out of warranty. For me that one's a no brainer. I'd probably pass on the P one. I called recently and it was $3,500 for an additional year

has the replacement of engine been always an issue for porsche? Does this happen quite often? if i'm gonna have to replace the engine every 10,000mile than I think I'm gonna have to think again if I could afford a porsche. I'm 26 and currently I own an 02 M3 but never had an engine issue. Sure I had some other drivetrain issues, but certainly not an engine replacement. I just passed over 60,000miles. Please let me know guys, since I'm really considering a used 05 C2S. I'm too young to afford such amount of money for replacement.

Quote:
    linkrain said:
    has the replacement of engine been always an issue for porsche? Does this happen quite often? if i'm gonna have to replace the engine every 10,000mile than I think I'm gonna have to think again if I could afford a porsche. I'm 26 and currently I own an 02 M3 but never had an engine issue. Sure I had some other drivetrain issues, but certainly not an engine replacement. I just passed over 60,000miles. Please let me know guys, since I'm really considering a used 05 C2S. I'm too young to afford such amount of money for replacement.

If my 997 had an engine replacement I would not like it. If I had to have 2 I would never own another porsche. I would think it is very uncommon. Owning a porsche is nice but not nice enough to have to replace the engine every 10K+ miles or so. No car is that nice.

If my engine has some problems after warranty,

I would elect to repair rather then replace the whole thing. I am not too concerned about future problems.

Quote:
    linkrain said:

My 2002 M3 (and yours if you bought it new) had engine recalls because of bad bearings and needed to be rebuilt. I wanted it replaced with only 10000 miles on it. BMW said "no" so I sold it and bought my 2005 997S. My brother had a 2003 year M3 and he too had the recall for the bearing replacement. For the record, I never had any engine trouble with my 2002 M3 but looking back I'm happy I got the Porsche. If you can afford it, I say make the move!

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    linkrain said:

If my 997 had an engine replacement I would not like it. If I had to have 2 I would never own another porsche. I would think it is very uncommon. Owning a porsche is nice but not nice enough to have to replace the engine every 10K+ miles or so. No car is that nice.

Of course it's very uncommon. Forum's like this will skew the info. There was a recent thread about this (3 mos ago?) and everything that needs to be said about was said there, but basically, those who've had the problem will speak out while the thousands who have not will not all chime in to report a good experience. There is a HUGE bias in Forums like his, so take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm on my second 911 - no serious problems with either one (except for speeding tickets!)

my .02 , well here we are again, same subject that indeed was talked a lot about 3 months ago, and actually awhile before that, so whats the answer, lots of guys says its an abnormality, very rare, forums are skewed, etc.etc, BUT, the beat goes on , one guy writes in about an engine failure that should not happen, then lots of others write in with similar experiences. Bottom line seems to be we have great cars but when the bell tolls and its engine replacement time -and no one knows when - man - what a way to enjoy a 100k car, a roll of the dice when your engine will fail, UGH, but Im still happy , that is until the grim reaper shows up with an engine failure. So what is the ratio of 997 engine failures to cars manufactured , common Porsche tell us.

Its Pretty Pathetic Actually

A car costing this much having engine failures. This car is supposed to be descended from racing and it has engine failures. This should not be happening especially with 10K miles on it. Its nice that they just give you a new engine but when you go to sell it how will it impact resell value as it does not have the original motor?

I would love to see Porsche's incidence of engine failure per number of cars made. Since they dont zillions of them I bet the incidence rate is a lot higher than say in a Honda or VW.

Re: Its Pretty Pathetic Actually

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    This car is supposed to be descended from racing and it has engine failures.

Why, race engines fail all the time, some don't last longer than a few laps. By that metric, 10,000 miles is long enough!

I still say I am more amazed that a dealer would have a 997 engine in stock. One would think a dealer would try not have but so much money tied up in parts. Think about it, who goes to a dealer and say I need a new engine and they say no problem I have just what you need in stock. I would think that would be an item that must be ordered but I guess not.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I still say I am more amazed that a dealer would have a 997 engine in stock. One would think a dealer would try not have but so much money tied up in parts. Think about it, who goes to a dealer and say I need a new engine and they say no problem I have just what you need in stock. I would think that would be an item that must be ordered but I guess not.

Your 100% correct , low volume car, exceeding high priced engine, rather scary thought that dealers just happen to stock engines on the shelf, gee wonder why. As for the post that said since the engines have a racing background and 10k miles seems long enough since racing engines fail sometimes after a few laps - . UGH - these cars , if driven normally, should be bullet proof, and last a few hundred thousand miles.

Quote:
    bstew said:

It actually makes good business sense to me. Having one engine in stock is chump change to them. Think about it, somebody's engine is toast, and a new engine installed in a short matter of time as opposed to waiting a lengthy period of time to get it replaced because they don't have it in stock and Porsche is backordered. Customer drives away content that their baby is set to go.

Ok, call up your local dealerships and ask them if they all carry spare M97's for this occurence. Only then can some reasonable speculation begin. One instance can have a thousand explanations.

The only widespread significant problem with these engines (M96/M97) that has been identified to occur within the first 5 years of use is the RMS leak (and its frequency in the M97, while not zero, isn't yet clear). That doesn't mean that it's the only problem that can develop - even if they cost 100 G. Even the Bugatti Veyron will have some problems and some engines replaced.

So far, I haven't heard nearly enough to get excited at all over this . . .

By the way, I don't blame anyone for expecting a 100 G car to be perfect, but the reality is that nothing is perfect, even 100 G cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762508 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435386 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257581 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807677 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM