Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

installation of new nav and upgrade DVD

well, after giving the local porsche dealership a week to research it, and another week to get the thing in and to me, i have my dvd nav upgrade. only problem is, it came in TWO dvds, one for the nav info and the other is a PCM upgrade. the funny thing is that the enclosed flier says "system cd's are not meant for the customer. only the dealer is authorized to install the new software. installation instructions are available in Tls (b79125, c79135, cy9095)

any idea where i can see these instructions? am i going to have to take it back to the dealer? is this data any better than a 1938 michilen guide?

as a side note, i drove to texarkana, via mena this last week. i finally shut the nav off, as the roads were so far away from the gps track that it kept thinking i was off roading. those roads haven't changed location in 15 years, at least....

DT

Re: installation of new nav and upgrade DVD

You won't like the answer. Only places that don't fall on the "who gives a crap" list get GPS mapped.

well, after some work, i finally figured out that one of the discs WASN'T a dvd. so after putting the nav dvd in the dvd player and the upgrade CD in the cd player, and a little bit of fiddling, i got everything to upgrade properly.

nav data was a pleasant surprise, while it isn't updated to late 2005 as advertised, it does have the roads of NW ARK on board, down to my driveway (which on county maps and street atlas is listed as an unnamed county road). the POI listing seems to be more complete and easier to use, although still has some very odd gaps.

worth the money, IMHO.

DT

as an additional update, the nav system appears to have some rather odd quirks as far as routing goes. i was headed to an address, missed the turn, noticed on the map that there was a road going through a neighborhood that would take me directly to the address, and turned. for the entire (1mile) trip through the neighborhood, the nav was trying to get me to turn around, even though the road through the neighborhood was on the map. this resulted in a very funny looking map indicator, which at one point was showing a path in a complete circle. the nav refused to realize my route was possible until i turned out on the major road on the other side of the neighborhood, where it cheerily said "you have arrived at your destination".

while these sort of software artifacts are to be expected, i have noticed that the nav system seems to have a predilection for odd routings, probably due to the weighting various roads are given. unfortunately, there are no user setable options for shortest, etc.

all in all, however, the 200 bucks for the upgrade was well worth it.

DT

I have download a 2006 DVD map and 2 install disc, but i dont have any instruction, can you advise me how to do the update, I currently have the dvd pcm2 runing version 1.0 software with no TMC or post code address input.

Quote:
    droptop said: there are no user setable options for shortest, etc.

DT

Yes there is, try navi/route options.

Finally got the update working, but the pcm still showing i have version 1.0. Now I can run the 2006 dvd disc with post code search, TMC, radio text ..etc. Much better than the 2004 dvd disc.

Quote:
    philip888 said:
    Much better than the 2004 dvd disc.

DVD nav came with MY 2005 right? Wasen't it CD based 2004?

Anyone know where you can download updated maps?

i have the 2006 dvd disc is about 1.7GB

does the disc update the PCM software, I have a model 2005 cayenne with no TMC, the dealer said I should pay Pounds500 to get it updated with TMC which I believe is a pure rip-off. Could you please let me know where you downloaded or got the disc.

I heard today that Garmin is buying Navteq. Maybe they will improve this totally lame mapping system. There are so many roads in Nevada that have existed for years, that do not show up in the Porsche system. I can do without all the bells and whistles that come on the Japanese cars, but please give me timely updates so I can navigate. Porsche is pathetic in this area.

Quote:
    ballmon said:
    I heard today that Garmin is buying Navteq. Maybe they will improve this totally lame mapping system. There are so many roads in Nevada that have existed for years, that do not show up in the Porsche system. I can do without all the bells and whistles that come on the Japanese cars, but please give me timely updates so I can navigate. Porsche is pathetic in this area.

Actually it's nokia. but yes, navteq needs to get their act together. Here's the press release.

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1157198

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    ballmon said:

Actually it's nokia. but yes, navteq needs to get their act together. Here's the press release.

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1157198

I'm not exactly sure how the Nokia merger is going help getting me from "A to B" , but my finger are crossed. Would have preferred a Garmin merger.

The 2006 dvd disc does not upgrade your PCM, you need to have a firmware upgrade CD. when first insert the new 2006 map DVD it will say Incompatible Navigateion DVD, then you insert the upgrade Cd into the front CD drive, after a few mins the PCM will restart, now the 2006 map disc will work and you will get addition function like TMC, postcode input, radio text ...etc
    I can mail you the upgrade CD 1 and 2 via e-mail if you required, the cd 2 doesnt seem to do anything. The CD 1 is less than 10mb, and the cd2 is less than 1mb.

Hi Philip,

Can you tell me where I can get the 2007 DVD and firmware upgrade from....when I say "where can I get them from" I am thinking limewaire, ebay etc.

I have a 54 Cayenne S (just purchased) and the dealer (after telling me to buy direct rom NavTech) offered to do me a deal on discs for only Pounds340 + VAT and 30min labour at only Pounds110 + VAT. I am hoping there is a better (i.e. more economically efficient) way fo doing it.

Cheers in advance.
    Pav

The 2006 dvd disc does not upgrade your PCM, you need to have a firmware upgrade CD. when first insert the new 2006 map DVD it will say Incompatible Navigateion DVD, then you insert the upgrade Cd into the front CD drive, after a few mins the PCM will restart, now the 2006 map disc will work and you will get addition function like TMC, postcode input, radio text ...etc
    I can mail you the upgrade CD 1 and 2 via e-mail if you required, the cd 2 doesnt seem to do anything. The CD 1 is less than 10mb, and the cd2 is less than 1mb.

Thanks a lot Phillip888, I will send you a PM right now, at least it will save me a few bucks
    Could you believe OPC wants Pounds430 for this

Hello ITALOKOKO,

Cheers for the info, if you can email me the CDs that would be great....but just so I understnd the 2 CDs....is one a firmware upgrade and the other the 2006 DVD or did I misunderstand. If so, could you tell me where I can download the 2006 DVD from (and what its called).

Additionally, when I press Main + Trip, it gives me the software version and my PCM says software version 1.....which I thought was imposible as my car is a 2004 model, but when I took it to the dealer today he says that that's what they all say.......

Cheers again. My email is pavle@paneleven.co.uk

Ebay Item number: 260168541338

great, cheers.I also downloaded some maps from a bittorrent site, and I think one of them is the new tomtom maps.....now this is going to be a stupid question, but do you know if they will work? my rationale was that the sat nav would just read any digital map,regardless of its origin....am I just being stupid?

Pav, could you please email me the files if possible. I will send you a PM right away

Quote:
    pav said:
    Hello ITALOKOKO,

Cheers for the info, if you can email me the CDs that would be great....but just so I understnd the 2 CDs....is one a firmware upgrade and the other the 2006 DVD or did I misunderstand. If so, could you tell me where I can download the 2006 DVD from (and what its called).

Additionally, when I press Main + Trip, it gives me the software version and my PCM says software version 1.....which I thought was imposible as my car is a 2004 model, but when I took it to the dealer today he says that that's what they all say.......

Cheers again. My email is pavle@paneleven.co.uk

Do you have the DVD or CD based Nav disk? I thought that the DVD version didn't come out until the 2005 model. If you have the CD version, there is no upgrade available. If you have the DVD version there are updates, but you have to update your PCM system first.

Phil

Hi Italo,

Cant email the files as one is 1GB and the other is 3GB. PMing you now.

Hello Phil,

The dealer said that there is a DVD player under my (drivers) seat with the 2004 (or even 2005) DVD maps in it. I am now trying to get hold of the update CD for my PCM (i.e. the one you talked about and sent pics of) as well as the updated maps. Any ideas where I can download these from?

Cheers,
    Pavle

P.s. this is a really dumb question, but how do i check if i have any private messages?

Quote:
    pav said:
    P.s. this is a really dumb question, but how do i check if i have any private messages?

There's an enveloppe blinking next to your login name in the top left corner on every rennteam page. Or go to MyHome, there's your private mailbox.

thanks matt

Quote:
    ITALOKOKO said:
    Pav, could you please email me the files if possible. I will send you a PM right away

never got the PM

anybody got the firmware update DVD/CD for the Nav system

i have the 2 images with firmware 2cd imgaes..but how i write them? on dvd or cd?? where i have to insstal them in dvd unit or in cd unit? my nav is pcm dvd 2.1

This might sound like a dumb question, but how do I check what software version my PCM has installed?

I tried Main + Trip but there's nothing there indicating version 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1.

Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM