Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Is the TT doing it for yea?

Hi Tim
    I'm being overworked and overstressed. It's really not a good thing. All I got to enjoy is my 997 and my stereo. I haven't been back to Vancouver in ages. Btw, did you get tiptronic again or did your wife learn to drive manual?

Cheers
    Paul

Quote:
    pfslai said:
    Hi Tim
    I'm being overworked and overstressed. It's really not a good thing. All I got to enjoy is my 997 and my stereo. I haven't been back to Vancouver in ages. Btw, did you get tiptronic again or did your wife learn to drive manual?

Cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul,

997S is manual and wife is not allowed to drive it!

Took it to the Mission Track once and it is amazing. Will go to my second track event in Sept.

Sorry guys for going off topic...

Any 996TT will smoke a 997S on any road. They are a quantum leap over them. The 997TT has a bit over the 996TT cars.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Any 996TT will smoke a 997S on any road. They are a quantum leap over them. The 997TT has a bit over the 996TT cars.

Dan

Hey Dan,

What is your definition of "quantum leap"? I have driven both cars extensively and I agree with all writers that the 996TT is definitely always faster, but not to the point of your exaggeration...

Your argument will work comparing a Porsche 911 to a Honda Civic.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    If the extra weight doesn't affect handling then the decision is really just "would I miss changing gears even if it meant the car was slower as a result"...

Thanks!!

In spite of its superior acceleration the Tip is three seconds slower than the manual around the Ring (according to Walter R). The manual/LSD enjoys much better cornering traction - aided partly by the weight difference.Weight loss is vital for the heavy Turbo in corners.

If the manual had equal acceleration to the Tip, the Ring times would be many more seconds apart. Traction is vital for spirited driving around corners.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I own a 997 non S mode and it does everything I want it to. Would I like more hp sure but do I need it???

YES. Everybody needs more safety. Massive HP is obviously a safety feature. You can pass cars faster and more safely when you have limited passing lane length.

Less likely, but no less safety-oriented, is that it gives you a better chance of getting away in a police chase thus preventing exposure to the safety hazards of arrest and jail time.

Can't afford TT, so i don't even worry about deciding to get one- I won't. But I'm gonna make sure i get the max outta my 997S for the length of her life. as for speed, I'm in process of modding the WRX turbo to maybe perform 11 sec runs, in the not too distant future (hopefully)

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Hey Dan,

What is your definition of "quantum leap"? I have driven both cars extensively and I agree with all writers that the 996TT is definitely always faster, but not to the point of your exaggeration...

Your argument will work comparing a Porsche 911 to a Honda Civic.

I guess that was a poor term to use,--as it is all relative.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:

I guess that was a poor term to use,--as it is all relative.

Dan

I think it was a good term Dan; I understood what you meant.

What it means to me is the 997TT is a genuine super car. The 997S is not. The term delineates a difference which is fundemental. If necessary, go to the dic and determine what differentiates a super car from a non-super car.

I was all excited to trade in my 997S on the new turbo. I got a launch car for $99k and was offered $73k for trade less than 2 years later. And I love the car but a little more power would be nice. The turbo i wanted was close to $150k out the door. So I got a new M5 and kept the Pcar and for close to the same $$ as if I traded in the 997S. I like the looks better on the 997S- cleaner and sleeker looking than the gills, front led's, rear bumper of the 997tt. Sure the turbo is faster than either car but where in America can you drive any faster than the 997S or M5 (and the turbo is no big deal on the track- get a GT3 if that's your thing). Personally, I think the plain old 997 coupe is the best looking car on the road at any price and the power is more than any of use can safely or effectively use. And the argument about the turbo being an exotic is a stretch..it's no Ferrari or Lamborghini and looks more like a 911 than anything else. WE would all notice it but the general public doesn't know the difference IF you want to get noticed, If you want stealth, it's ideal. It just wasn't worth $75k more than the 997S to go a little faster.

Quote:
    kkeating said:
    IIt just wasn't worth $75k more than the 997S to go a little faster.

997TT - $150K
    Stroking the ego - Priceless

Quote:
    kkeating said:
    I was all excited to trade in my 997S on the new turbo. I got a launch car for $99k and was offered $73k for trade less than 2 years later. And I love the car but a little more power would be nice. The turbo i wanted was close to $150k out the door. So I got a new M5 and kept the Pcar and for close to the same $$ as if I traded in the 997S. I like the looks better on the 997S- cleaner and sleeker looking than the gills, front led's, rear bumper of the 997tt. Sure the turbo is faster than either car but where in America can you drive any faster than the 997S or M5 (and the turbo is no big deal on the track- get a GT3 if that's your thing). Personally, I think the plain old 997 coupe is the best looking car on the road at any price and the power is more than any of use can safely or effectively use. And the argument about the turbo being an exotic is a stretch..it's no Ferrari or Lamborghini and looks more like a 911 than anything else. WE would all notice it but the general public doesn't know the difference IF you want to get noticed, If you want stealth, it's ideal. It just wasn't worth $75k more than the 997S to go a little faster.

Hi kkeating,

I too will take your 997S and M5 combo over one 997TT. Good choice.

How would you compare the acceleration and handling of both your toys? Thanks.

No, I would not trade in my 997 C4S for a Turbo now. Maybe in a few years, when I'm over 50

Seriously I am still enjoying my car a lot and I feel I can still get a lot out of it before I get bored of it, or before I feel I reached the limits.

I would first trade my 997 C4S for a 997 C2S X51, or a GT3....

In a few years , I can see myself in a Turbo, but not now. I still have too much fun in mine.

But , yes, I definitely would want the Turbo's power!!!

I am also happy to be able to ' dream' about future cars... If I have a Turbo now...what would be my next realistic dream?

And.... I am not willing, at the moment, to pay that much money for a car....

Quote:
    kkeating said:

Great combo of cars. But I think some of your newfound feelings are just justification for not getting the turbo. Again, either choice is a great one. But, come on compare apples to apples. You didn't have to spec a $150,000.00 turbo. (The M5 sure isn't speced that way). A very well equipped turbo can be had for under $130,000.00. It also sounds as though you got a really bad trade-in price. I had a lesser equipped '05 997S and got more for my trade against a $128,200.00 priced turbo, so the math was easier for me. I CAN justify the difference. The M5 although a very fast, great car is not a 911.
    Your subjective views on the 997 v. turbo are, well, subjective. I think, as I know many others do, that the turbo makes the 997 look dated.
    As far as what you can use to it's potential on the street? None of them, but the turbo, imo, has much more useful power and torque that can be realized all the time. And the upper rev range only gets better.
    Congrats on your great car choices, but spare some of the negativity. And, really: "not an exotic and a little bit faster"? When a turbo runs to 100 mph almost 3 seconds faster that's a LOT faster. Who cares if some Hyundai owner can't tell the difference between one Porsche and another. What do you think that same Hyundai owner thinks of your M5. (Some say PONTIAC ) You mosty feel this way because the deal wasn't good enough. If it was you'd probably be posting how great the turbo is.
    At least let some of enjoy our rides.
    Enjoy and be safe.

I've been looking at the Turbos in pictures, and now in person, enough to allow it all to "sink in"..

Bottom line, it's only attractive in dark colors that mask all of the over-wrought and distracting scoops and vents and whatnot. I realize that they are functional, but nevertheless...

I also will never agree with those out of place fog light pimples.

Of course I'm just whining about aesthetics, but for $150K, I ought to at least be able to look at it and smile.

I love the clean and menacing beauty of my 997S as much as the day I drove it home, if not more.

I'd love the extra power of the TT, but nothing else about it entices me, just the power. I don't prefer the style, I don't prefer the AWD, and I don't prefer the price.

So I, like others, will continue to enjoy my S for what it is, and keep my extra jingle safe in my wallet. For the rush of feeling silly g-forces of acceleration, I've got other toys for that already. They're just crude in other areas. But sometimes it's fun to have a garage full of a variaty of players at a price, than a garage with just one single swiss army knife in it for the same price. Anything can become drudgery if you use it every day, just ask Christie Brinkley's soon-to-be ex.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I've been looking at the Turbos in pictures, and now in person, enough to allow it all to "sink in"..

Bottom line, it's only attractive in dark colors that mask all of the over-wrought and distracting scoops and vents and whatnot. I realize that they are functional, but nevertheless...

There you go again, making all that good sense.

Yeah, if I do order a TT it's gonna have to be a dark color to hide the frilly BS. Talk about non-functional: exhaust apertures and tailpipes are the worst. The "less expensive" plastic insert side engine vents reeeeeally bug me. Should be seamless, built into body panel. The wing is also annoying, but thankfully not as flambouyant as a GT3. The wheels are very nice, but again, add to the slightly frilly over-styling of the car.

Dark color---yup--- the best way to go if you want to clean up some of Porsche's overdone styling.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

There you go again, making all that good sense.

Yeah, if I do order a TT it's gonna have to be a dark color to hide the frilly BS. Talk about non-functional: exhaust apertures and tailpipes are the worst. The "less expensive" plastic insert side engine vents reeeeeally bug me. Should be seamless, built into body panel. The wing is also annoying, but thankfully not as flambouyant as a GT3. The wheels are very nice, but again, add to the slightly frilly over-styling of the car.

Dark color---yup--- the best way to go if you want to clean up some of Porsche's overdone styling.

To each his/her own. Frankly, I love my silver turbo with it's, vents, spoiler and all. The price of admission is high, but, after owning this car, I couldn't go back to the 997S now.
    $150,000.00 for the turbo, that's like saying that the 997S is $105,000.00.

Quote:
    devo said:

To each his/her own. Frankly, I love my silver turbo with it's, vents, spoiler and all. The price of admission is high, but, after owning this car, I couldn't go back to the 997S now.

Yup I did it again. Sorry. If we were hanging out in your driveway I would looooove your color choice and car.

When you're alone the theoretical takes over.

It's like having Heather Graham as a girlfriend, perfect in everyway, yet you might start thinking that her boobs are a liiiiiittle too big and she giggles a liiiiiittle too much sometimes... .

Still it's just personal preferences. I'm a minimalist. I "hate" excess stuff everywhere.

Oops, I just remembered I forgot to rinse/clean the bathroom sink out, I just used it again... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Yup I did it again. Sorry. If we were hanging out in your driveway I would looooove your color choice and car.

When you're alone the theoretical takes over.

It's like having Heather Graham as a girlfriend, perfect in everyway, yet you might start thinking that her boobs are a liiiiiittle too big and she giggles a liiiiiittle too much sometimes... .

Still it's just personal preferences. I'm a minimalist. I "hate" excess stuff everywhere.

Oops, I just remembered I forgot to rinse/clean the bathroom sink out, I just used it again... .

Don't forget to wipe it dry too.
    I must be a little sloooow. I'm unsure if you insulted me.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The way I understand it is this.

Say you trade in your nearly-new 997s and fork over another us$60-70K to get the turbo.

Will you feel like you wasted money?

From what I've gathered the answer is "No!"

Why?

Because you've crossed the line into SUPER CAR territory. The total difference is well worth it and impossible to imagine unless you've actually been there yourself.

Oh... I forgot , you're a minimilist.

Quote:
    devo said:

No no no! I would never do that. This is all for fun; hobby stuff. We're just talking and discussing stuff from all different of points of view. I apologise for any confusion I might have (inadvertantly) caused... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

No no no! I would never do that. This is all for fun; hobby stuff. We're just talking and discussing stuff from all different of points of view. I apologise for any confusion I might have (inadvertantly) caused... .

I feel better now.

Devo- sorry if I offended you with my subjective justification for my car choices. I'm not trying to be nberry here; just expressing how I rationalized my change of heart not getting the turbo. My wife says I can rationalize any car purchase I want and change my mind soon after... I'm happy for you, your trade in and new turbo and didn't intend to sound so negative. After all, my post reply was on the 997 not 997 turbo board. Ideally, if I could afford it I would love the M5 and 997 turbo and I'm sure I would be extolling all the wonderfull virtues of each to share with fellow enthusiasts. I have owned 5 new 911's in 10 years and traded in the 996 turbo for the 997S launch car. I have always paid MSRP, never more, sometimes a little less. As much as I love new Porsches, I'm tired of trading or selling them at the peak depreciation. The turbo is was getting was $128k plus the pccbs (since I like the so much on the 997S, add the sport chrono, a couple extra leather touches, gas guzzler and sales tax and it was close to $150. You must have traded your 997 at a better time because we checked Manheim and local inventory and the 05 launch cars were going for $73-75K and a dealer in VA has had one for a month now and not sold. As much as I would still like the turbo and may still end up with one, I'm frustraded by the ever increasing cops on the road and I know I would end up pushing my luck with the extra turbo's power. Not to offend anyone but I personally don't think the turbo looks exotic- just too many 911's on the road now. It's performance is certainly exotic. I personally like the stealth looks of the (Pontiac) M5 (still think it's kinda ugly) and classic looks of the 911 and honestly prefer them over the Ferrari. I can drive either to work and not get any grief from my patients. Enjoy your car in good health and don't take offense to anyone else's opinions. I think we are all very fortunate to drive such incredible vehicles and what fun would it be if we all liked the exactly same things.

Doc K, sounds like you need a Valentine One... <g>

Great synopsis.

-don

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM