Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Autocar 997 Turbo review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT_ID=221373

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Why not a perfect five, you're no doubt wondering? Three things: the lack of steering feel, the amount of tyre roar it generates on motorways, and the size of the fuel tank.

Lack of steering feel ?

Can a new owner elaborate on this one please.

Re: Autocar 997 Turbo review

I haven't experienced the "tire roar" so this may be the type of tires fitted. Mine came with the Michelin Pilot Sport. The gas tank is what it is.

On the steering, the variable rate assistance does change the feel, but I would not say it is less feel. It is a bit like RC described the TipS....it is different and takes getting accustomed to in order to realize the benefit of the new engineering. Also, the steering feel is partly a surrogate for the PASM networking since the "feel" of a steering system is related to the response of the car (in changing directions). I have compared my '05 996tts with my new 997tt and I feel the steering is more responsive in the 997tt.

David

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Why not a perfect five, you're no doubt wondering? Three things: the lack of steering feel, the amount of tyre roar it generates on motorways, and the size of the fuel tank.

Lack of steering feel ?

I think the statement on lack of steering feel is complete BS. Compared to my 996TT (x73) the steering is a little bit lighter in the 997TT. But feed-back is excellent and the progressive steering characteristics of the 997TT are a huge step forward.

Maybe their test car was flawed

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

I think the statement on lack of steering feel is complete BS. Compared to my 996TT (x73) the steering is a little bit lighter in the 997TT. But feed-back is excellent and the progressive steering characteristics of the 997TT are a huge step forward.

Maybe their test car was flawed

In my opinion the steering is light years ahead of my 96 C4S...it communicates much better. Though, I do find the tire noise somewhat greater. In terms of the fuel tank...I agree it is what it is.. I couldn't be happier my 997TT.

I may not have some of the extensive experience others may have, but I too feel that the steering response is excellent.
    And, tire noise...what?

The last line is the best.

I agree with their findings on the steering,yes its accurate,but they say that,what they complain about is lack of feel compared to the 996tt,and I agree,you canot feel as much road information,but it makes it a more relaxing drive,but slightly less exciting .
    Don't worry the 430 and gallardo only got 4.5 starts as well

I don't knwo about the 997 but if it's anything like the 996TT that was one of my big complaints about it. The numb steering and numb brakes. Terrible drivers car IMHO.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

I have not noticed the roar--I have about 300 miles on my 997tt. I also do not get the steering feel point--it clearly is better than my two previous P cars (an 01 996tt that I put about 70K miles on and a 997S that I had about 20K miles on). I find the new car is lighter than the 996tt in terms of steering feel, and I notice an improvement in precision and balance. I found the 997S to have terrific feel (that was one of the reasons I traded in the 996tt) but the 997S was a little light in the front -- the 997tt does not have that issue for me.

I have driven some narrow twisty roads out here with all three cars and the 997tt provides me with the most confidence and driving pleasure. It is easy to carry tons of pace through curves and stay in a lane even on hilly curvy backroads. For those of you that know the area, I am talking about Skyline Drive on the SF Peninsula and the even tighter roads that lead up to it.

At this point I am very happy with the car. The power is incredible, even without Sport mode engaged. The ability to tighten things up and quicken the pace further with Sport mode provides for a wonderfully flexible car. I got mine in black with a natural brown interior--that combination came out really well IMHO . No wood or carbon fiber- just lots of extra leather. Other options include Sport Chrono, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats, LSD, PCCB. I just love the car.

Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

I have not noticed the roar--I have about 300 miles on my 997tt. I also do not get the steering feel point--it clearly is better than my two previous P cars (an 01 996tt that I put about 70K miles on and a 997S that I had about 20K miles on). I find the new car is lighter than the 996tt in terms of steering feel, and I notice an improvement in precision and balance. I found the 997S to have terrific feel (that was one of the reasons I traded in the 996tt) but the 997S was a little light in the front -- the 997tt does not have that issue for me.

I have driven some narrow twisty roads out here with all three cars and the 997tt provides me with the most confidence and driving pleasure. It is easy to carry tons of pace through curves and stay in a lane even on hilly curvy backroads. For those of you that know the area, I am talking about Skyline Drive on the SF Peninsula and the even tighter roads that lead up to it.

At this point I am very happy with the car. The power is incredible, even without Sport mode engaged. The ability to tighten things up and quicken the pace further with Sport mode provides for a wonderfully flexible car. I got mine in black with a natural brown interior--that combination came out really well IMHO . No wood or carbon fiber- just lots of extra leather. Other options include Sport Chrono, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats, LSD, PCCB. I just love the car.

Great feedback on 997TT ....know those twisties well...very useful for quickly learning re: any car's dynamics/feel...

Any views on 997TT's turbo lag/nonlinearity, esp for bursts on 280 in rush hr/solving urban fwy "jigsaw puzzles"?

BTW, excellent choice of colors/options.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    I don't knwo about the 997 but if it's anything like the 996TT that was one of my big complaints about it. The numb steering and numb brakes. Terrible drivers car IMHO.

Run that by me again?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Run that by me again?

The steering may not provide you with the road feel you desire, but numb? Regarding the brakes: did you mean the numb feeling on your nose when you applied them to brisky?

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Run that by me again?

The steering may not provide you with the road feel you desire, but numb? Regarding the brakes: did you mean the numb feeling on your nose when you applied them to brisky?

Oh yes, I remember the first time I applied those in a 996 C4S... Fun times !

Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

bh,

Glad to hear that you too love your tt. I'm traveling to SF in Sept. Your post makes me want to DRIVE my tt there, instead of flying. (Or should I say fly my tt there...?).
    Years ago I seized the opportunity to ride a superbike there (from NY) and sample the many great roads SF and the area has to offer.
    Be safe and enjoy the fantastic scenery and tarmac.

Great review bh, now we just need to see some pictures of that beast!

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

Great feedback on 997TT ....know those twisties well...very useful for quickly learning re: any car's dynamics/feel...

Any views on 997TT's turbo lag/nonlinearity, esp for bursts on 280 in rush hr/solving urban fwy "jigsaw puzzles"?

VK,
    thanks for the comments. To answer your question, turbo lag is noticeable in some circumstances. First, if you mildly accelerate and keep the boost pressure below the 50% mark, there is no lag and the car just feels quick. If you put your foot completely into it, the lag is more like a very slight hesitation and then the power pours on and your head gets snapped back . Lag in this context is less than that on the 996tt. If you accelerate aggressively, but not full out, overboost does not kick in and it does take a bit longer to spool up. That experience is similar to the 996tt. As a result, you can be left with a feeling of non-linear response. I am still getting used to it and think that my ability to modulate the response is improving. That's one of the fun aspects of the car-- there is enormous capability on tap and it takes some time to begin to master what the 997tt can do--very involving

Maybe the "tire roar" is more noticable because the "engine roar" is not high as expected.

Mike

Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

VK,
    thanks for the comments. To answer your question, turbo lag is noticeable in some circumstances. First, if you mildly accelerate and keep the boost pressure below the 50% mark, there is no lag and the car just feels quick. If you put your foot completely into it, the lag is more like a very slight hesitation and then the power pours on and your head gets snapped back . Lag in this context is less than that on the 996tt. If you accelerate aggressively, but not full out, overboost does not kick in and it does take a bit longer to spool up. That experience is similar to the 996tt. As a result, you can be left with a feeling of non-linear response. I am still getting used to it and think that my ability to modulate the response is improving. That's one of the fun aspects of the car-- there is enormous capability on tap and it takes some time to begin to master what the 997tt can do--very involving

Appreciate the detailed impressions

My 997TT Tip (blk/blk, PCCB, SC, AdapSportSeats, lots of leath options) was built last wk, so hope to learn how Tip and turbo lag/nonlinearity interface once I get it in Aug.

Suspect that nowhere on planet (incl Germany) does one have both a 280-like urban fwy that quickly reveals tq/turbo lag issues...and a set of twisties like those in Woodside mtns, a great setting for eval'g steering/chassis/brakes....all within 30 mins of where many actual 997TT/599/SL65 buyers/drivers are likely to live/work...and w/no need for silly winter tires/wheels and downtime

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

VK,

Appreciate the detailed impressions

My 997TT Tip (blk/blk, PCCB, SC, AdapSportSeats, lots of leath options) was built last wk, so hope to learn how Tip and turbo lag/nonlinearity interface once I get it in Aug.

Suspect that nowhere on planet (incl Germany) does one have both a 280-like urban fwy that quickly reveals tq/turbo lag issues...and a set of twisties like those in Woodside mtns, a great setting for eval'g steering/chassis/brakes....all within 30 mins of where many actual 997TT/599/SL65 buyers/drivers are likely to live/work...and w/no need for silly winter tires/wheels and downtime

Got to agree with that assesment.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    bh said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

VK,

Well, we do .

amazing how different we interpret the same cars.Mind you are they set up different for the US and europe..most major manufacturers actually set their cars up specifically for the uk market so they are set up different from us and europe spec cars.Wonder if this is why we are getting such different feedback ?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

Does the 997TT come standard with PCCB? If not, PCCB can probably solve the "lack of steering feel."

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

The conclusion:

4.5 star out of 5

Lack of steering feel ?

Does the 997TT come standard with PCCB? If not, PCCB can probably solve the "lack of steering feel."

David

David, I think you are spot on. My 997TT has PCCBs and the road feel is sensational I can't imagine an AWD having better... You don't feel much weight compared to big reds as an example..and it makes for much better contact with the road.

i like this narrative of the 997tt performance:

"hook third and you will feel a distinct sense of unease as the turbo blows its way from 40-60mph in a faintly ridiculous 2.1sec. And if your feeling really unsociable drop to second and do it in 1.4sec that's the point at which your mind has to focus hard to stay in control - and when you leave just about everything this side of a Bugatti Veyron trailing in your wake"

What utter drivel - if one of the "kids" who write this tosh could be bothered looking back to the magazine's own test of the 993 turbo in 1995 they would have seen an identical time in second gear and 0.1sec QUICKER in third gear.

Journalists [censored] me off they should be focussing on the torque in the higher gears which makes the 997tt so flexible instead of writing uninformed rubbish !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM