Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

7-Speed DSG for Porsche !

That's what it sounds like, according to AutoWeek.

Porsche has filed paperwork indicating that a seven-speed DSG is on the way. The company had apparently hoped to have it ready for the launch of the 997 Turbo, but it didn't work out. Hence, Tiptronic S remains the optional transmission across the board for the coming model year. When the DSG arrives, expect to see it made available on the full line, including the planned Bugatti-hunting GT1.

Re: 7-Speed DSG for Porsche !

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Porsche has filed paperwork indicating that a seven-speed DSG is on the way. The company had apparently hoped to have it ready for the launch of the 997 Turbo, but it didn't work out. Hence, Tiptronic S remains the optional transmission across the board for the coming model year. When the DSG arrives, expect to see it made available on the full line, including the planned Bugatti-hunting GT1.

So it seems that the 7-speed-DSG really will replace the 5-speed-Tiptronic S

I can't really see any point in keeping the 5 speed tip since the DSG will be superior in every way. Purists will still opt for the manual.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I can't really see any point in keeping the 5 speed tip since the DSG will be superior in every way. Purists will still opt for the manual.

These are exactly my thoughts. But this is really bad news for Tiptronic S customers...

still depends when porsche will actually put it in production!! maybe only with the 998!
    If they do it with 997 facelift then well there will be some, and rightfully so, pissed costumers !!

I suspect that a 997 TT with DSG and PSE will be something really special

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Seven is an interesting number dont ya think?

Performance/Fuel saving wise.

That's new...but maybe just BS.

I'd wait for some sort of confirmation before jumping to any conclusion. Seven gears sound silly & mercedes-ish to me.

Talk about a chain of events. First off, spy shots of likely exterior changes of the 911 as well as new standard and optional equipment. Secondly the standard engine may be the 3.8 liter engine prompting the end of the 911 Carrera S. Third, the RSR will debut at the 24 Hour at Spa mounted with a 3.8 liter race engine further provoking us come to a consensus that all next generation Porsche 911 super variants like the GT3 will use the same engine. Fourth, rumor of a GT1 supercar to be faster than the Veyron. Fifth, the Panamera will live in the NASCAR grid. And now, a 7-speed DSG? What next? Seriously man, what next?

That's great news! Uh oh..., it just made the wait for some guys (me too?) even longer.

Quote:
    amazon said:

I'd wait for some sort of confirmation before jumping to any conclusion. Seven gears sound silly & mercedes-ish to me.

Seven gears would be great for the GT3, but it may be a bit excessive for the Turbo. When I think of 7 gears, I don't think of Mercedes, I think of Formula One

7 gears may actually hurt the performance of the turbo because of the boost pressure losses during shifts. I wonder if they will be able to keep boost pressure up during shifts like with tiptronic tranny.

Porsches 7 gear transmission is not alone.

Mercedes has it, the coming Lexus flagship has it and even
    GM took out patents on 7spd gear boxes of two types:
    one for front engine RWD cars and the other for Front engine/RWD/rear transaxle cars - the Corvette.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsches 7 gear transmission is not alone.

Mercedes has it, the coming Lexus flagship has it and even
    GM took out patents on 7spd gear boxes of two types:
    one for front engine RWD cars and the other for Front engine/RWD/rear transaxle cars - the Corvette.

Jimflat6, how does this all tie in with PAG's owning 20%+ shares of VW and in turn AUDI? Would we suspect a transplant of a VW's DSG on the Porsches like VW's Toureg's V6 on the Cayenne? Plus I really can't figure out all the jargons and mechanics in the working of a F1 Ferrari type Gearbox and Lymbo's E Gear (Audi based) and Audi's S Tronic and VW's DSG and Tiptronic S. Apparently Tip has no clutch hence more reliable and more durable in start stop traffic? How do they all work?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

Seven gears would be great for the GT3, but it may be a bit excessive for the Turbo. When I think of 7 gears, I don't think of Mercedes, I think of Formula One

It's not like Mercedes is in F1

But I agree completely

@PT The Lambo, Ferrari and the Porsche PDK are basically manual transmissions with solenoids and hydraulic actuators that move the gears.

Tiptronics are conventional automatic transmissions.

I will leave the DSG for a VW/Audi guy to explain.

I dont know how it will all tie in product line wise but new transmissions are expensive investments. Ford and GM combined resources to design and make their new 6spd automatic.

The PDK is the SAME system as the DSG on Audi/VW models! Since there is virtually no lag during shifts it works as good as an automatic tranny - just more efficient and direct.

I can truly imagine that this technology is very challenging to use on the Turbo, that much horsepower and especially torque has to be digested by the clutch and gears.

Quote:
    Hurst said:

Well, they are in F1 to the extent that they pay a British firm (Ilmore) to build engines and they sign the checks and put their name on the cars

All you have to do is drive the Audi DSG in the A3 or TT to realize how incredible this tranni is. Great for day to day driving, and killer on the track. So far no reliability issues have surfaced.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

DSG/PDK is kind of 2 manual transmissions that one links to 1-3-5 and another links to 2-4-6.
    Main advantages: extermely fast shift time and smooth.
    Main disadvantage: heavy and more complicate.

Main disadvantage on the audi DSG is a long wait on kickdown because the wrong gear is pre-selected. BMW SMG is a rawer experience more suitable for sports driving. I bet Ferrari wont be developing a DSG equivalent.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

Well, they are in F1 to the extent that they pay a British firm (Ilmore) to build engines and they sign the checks and put their name on the cars

What would you expect? It's the Eccelstone way

Quote:
    stereo said:
    Talk about a chain of events. First off, spy shots of likely exterior changes of the 911 as well as new standard and optional equipment. Secondly the standard engine may be the 3.8 liter engine prompting the end of the 911 Carrera S. Third, the RSR will debut at the 24 Hour at Spa mounted with a 3.8 liter race engine further provoking us come to a consensus that all next generation Porsche 911 super variants like the GT3 will use the same engine. Fourth, rumor of a GT1 supercar to be faster than the Veyron. Fifth, the Panamera will live in the NASCAR grid. And now, a 7-speed DSG? What next? Seriously man, what next?

I'd be surprised if the "S" vanished. DSG/PDK could very well be a long wait.

Click on
    Inside Line

If they're right about its introduction at the Frankfurt Auto Show, that would be September, 2007. So no sooner than the 2008 model year.

I'm hoping we'll see the introduction of it with the 997gt2...I couldn't think of anything sweeter. Deposits on gt2's anyone?

Didn't someone mention about the a drawback of the DSG system as being more applicable towards smaller power cars like VW Golf and A3? That it will be a challenge to make it work smoothly on da TURBO? Now I have totally a reason to wait for the DSG version of 997 TT. However, I'd imagine it would be a real bummer for those who got the 997TT in Tiptronic S if 2008 comes with DSG.

I suspect that PAG will parallel run the system. Considering the fact that Porsche knows how to market its product (look at the Cayman S V Boxster Coupe V Cayman Cabrio deal with the 2007 Boxster being fitted with the exact same engine still selling less than Cayman S...), I suspect that the standard is the base price (3.9s) with tiptronic s (3.7s) as an option with the current pricing and a DSG system (maybe shave another 0.2 to make it 3.5) as an option that will be SIGNIFICANTLY priced higher to cash in on this technology. I bet plenty will pay for the 0.2 s plus shift paddles. It will be just like the PCCB, not much use really on a daily basis but with the yellow calipers as show pieces to talk about.

On the other hand, I have another view and wondering what you guys would think. If it is indeed true that the DSG works better on cars with lower HPs generating less torque and peak torque, the DSG would be rolled out this time from the GROUND UP meaning first the Boxster/Cayman line and upwards. It would also make sense to not upset the current 997tt tip s owners at the same time using the lower priced models as market testers.

The SLK 7-G tronic (which I owned in 2005) and CLS 7-G tronic had loads of problem as Mercedes first 7 speed Gearbox and both cars JERKED a lot even under fully auto tranny mode and it certainly happened to me and many CLS owners back then. Hence, Porsche wouldn't wanna risk this DSG system on the premium priced models. Plus with the 996 eggdrop case, Porsche knows what it means when we say "if it ain't broken why fix it" recipe. Although Clarkson did mention that Porsche had the laziest designers, he probably doesn't realize that it pays off to be lazy. This also leads me to believe that a V8 911 or the demise of the 911 after the rollout of the CAYMAN is pretty much bogus.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    I bet Ferrari wont be developing a DSG equivalent.

Er, I think they are already developing it.

If Porsche has ready the new PDK gearbox i believe that it is going to lanch it on 997 GT2. (it is going to be out 2007 middle) if it doesnt, NOONE Will buy a GT2 for sure...

Also if people learns that it will be out 2007-08 who is going to buy now or with the 7months+ waiting list a new Turbo Tiptronic and not wait...?!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

If you've never tried DSG, go take the latest Golf GTI out. It is incredibly brilliant. DSG description lifted from the Audi website :-

"The revolutionary direct shift gearbox (DSG) combines the advantages of a conventional six-speed manual-shift gearbox with the qualities possessed by a modern automatic transmission. The driver enjoys immense agility and driving pleasure with, at the same time, smooth, dynamic acceleration with no interruption to the power flow.
    The technical basis of the direct shift gearbox (DSG) is a double clutch. This consists of two wet plate-type clutches with hydraulically regulated contact pressure. One of the two clutches engages the odd-numbered, the other the even-numbered gears. This principle enables gear shifts to be made without interrupting the power flow and keeps the shift times extremely short. While the first clutch is transmitting the power, the second clutch is ready to engage the next gear, which is preselected. When the driver makes the gear shift, the first clutch is released and the second engages, so that the gear shift takes place in a fraction of a second.
    The driver can operate the DSG manually or allow changes to take place automatically. In the automatic mode there is a choice between the well-balanced, comfortable standard shift settings and a program with greater sports emphasis. Manual shifts are made either at the gear lever or at shift paddles behind the steering wheel".

DSG 1st Gear

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    756004 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431891 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256075 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80020 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5268 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869126 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803444 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM