Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Went to the supermarket and guess what?

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    they get executed and their body stays on the ground by your car only for identification purposes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm... V, What do you do in your spare time to think of electrocution? Remind me to stay on your good side!!!

P

The insurance company will pay for the lights minus my $1000.00 deductible, but I hope they don't drop me or raise my premium after this.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    they get executed and their body stays on the ground by your car only for identification purposes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm... V, What do you do in your spare time to think of electrocution? Remind me to stay on your good side!!!

I said Execution, not electrocution.. LooooooooL

Well, I guess a ray of light should electrocute

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I said Execution, not electrocution.. LooooooooL

Opps.. my mind must have been somewhere else.

Lexus sent me a service notice offering to put a permanent id on the expensive lights in the RX400H to try and combat this problem, with no charge to the customer. I took them up on it at my next regular service visit. It would be nice for Porsche to do the same. Of course, they won't. Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket third-party kit?

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Lexus sent me a service notice offering to put a permanent id on the expensive lights in the RX400H to try and combat this problem, with no charge to the customer. I took them up on it at my next regular service visit. It would be nice for Porsche to do the same. Of course, they won't. Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket third-party kit?

That sounds like a good idea. Is this something that a thief would see before tearing the lights out?

That's really the point. It does you no good if they find this telltale ID AFTER they yank them out of the car. I suspect it neds to be along the order of the numbering of every piece of glass on cars these days.

What WON'T they steal today?

Dan

It just seems ridiculous that such an expensive piece of a vehicle is so easy to steal. Removing these lights should require major disassembly and then thieves would be deterred! Don't get me wrong, I am glad for the fact that no damage was done to my car other than the theft of my lights, but now I feel like there is a bullseye on my front bumper and anyone in need of a paycheck can take aim.

Re: No more wheels 5k F110's bye bye $

A guy on the 6 speed forum....
    went to see a movie, when he came out his
    Porsche was up on racks, they stole his F 110's wheels in broad daylight on a busy street.
    Go figure...

Well, I have an old Honda CRX I can drive around town.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    It just seems ridiculous that such an expensive piece of a vehicle is so easy to steal. Removing these lights should require major disassembly and then thieves would be deterred! Don't get me wrong, I am glad for the fact that no damage was done to my car other than the theft of my lights, but now I feel like there is a bullseye on my front bumper and anyone in need of a paycheck can take aim.

This is true. I'm wondering if you weren't followed prior to you stopping? How's that for adding to the paranoia?

Yea, my friend who lives in Boca near me drove down to Miami for a night on the town. Next thing he knows, he gets out of the club and his head lights are snitched too. He had to drive nearly fifty miles north on I-95 without lights in the middle of the night! Not to mention the cost... Just horrible. I go down to Miami all the time. Thankfully, i haven't had the same happen to me...(yet).

Sorry Rhino. I know that Publix, and it's in a nice area. Maybe a move to Boca...? Safer up here!

I hope those scumbags die a horrible death.

people like that should be shot

One night, but now some years ago, they have stolen the wheels on my Mercedes. And some days before from my dad's VW, but I don't understand how come they stole the front lights?!? Anyway I will like to catch somebody doing that that I will do this to his head

One of my customers is having a set of bags made so that he can pop his own headlights out and put them into the bags and take them with him. After the first theft, he had an extended alarm fitted to his C2S, but they got them again. If I ever hear of a solution working I'll let everyone know.

Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    If I ever hear of a solution working I'll let everyone know.

My attempted solution would develop as follows:

get a chain, wire rope, or bolt and fasten the units into the headlight cavity from the back and inside the trunk.

Go to a graphic supply house and have adhesive stickers made out of clear plastic that say something like "Thieves: headlight is SECURELY fastened internally to car."

Might work if they're not too stupid and don't get so pissed off that they vandalize the car.

I wonder what the hell these scumbags are doing with all these 997 headlights.
    Could lay claymores around the car, bring a deck chair and some beers, and then watch the firworks baby! lol

Quote:
    smiley said:

Aparently they gut the 997 bulbs and electronics and sell them to a certain segment of street racer car culture to upgrade their headlights in their acuras, hondas, and nissans. (thanks 964C2)

Quote:
    smiley said:
    Could lay claymores around the car, bring a deck chair and some beers, and then watch the firworks baby! lol

A few years back, I followed one of my buddies to a car stereo store where he was getting some subwoofers installed. While I was there, a Mitsu Eclipse pulled in, and it was truly riced-out, with the coffee can exhaust, garish wheels and dark tint. What I did notice, however, was that the car had projector xenon headlamps, which I didn't think was an option on that car.

I asked the kid driving the car where he'd gotten those xenon lamps, and he told me (very proudly, in fact) that they were Porsche xenons. I remarked that those Porsche parts must've been really expensive, and he claimed to have picked them up from a junkyard. Reading this thread, however, I'm beginning to think that he wasn't telling the truth!

In any case, I figure those rice-burners are exactly where these xenons are ending up.

Let's see, receiving stolen goods...that's got to be worth 2-3 in a state prison....

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Let's see, receiving stolen goods...that's got to be worth 2-3 in a state prison....

Dan

That would be getting off light. I think penalties for stealing automobiles (parts or otherwise) should be much higher than what they are to actually deter these guys.

Quote:
    fuenfer said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

That would be getting off light. I think penalties for stealing automobiles (parts or otherwise) should be much higher than what they are to actually deter these guys.

Nah, just bring caning to the USA. Singapore streets are safe and CLEAN; would be great to have clean safe streets where you can return to your car and drive home at night with headlights.

I'd PAY to watch these vandals get caned if I couldn't do it myself.

what's with all these MF stealing porsche headlights? i've heard tons of stories about 987 bi-xenon being stolen, but on a 997 too!?!?! daymn....

I drive a barge, a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, for all errands and shopping trips. I worry that some nutty kid will key my 911S if I leave it in a parking lot for more than 5 minutes so I never use it for basic trips. It's a sad statement about life today in many parts of the world, including the U.S.

Jim

The 'dots' on the Lexus lights come with a warning sticker on the side window, similar to what you would have with an aftermarket alarm system. Whether a thief working in the dark and quickly would either read or care is another thing. Also, unless and until there are enough prosecutions from identifying them as stolen and not junkyard salvage, id'ing will have no impact.

A better idea is what stopped most stereo theft. In a $1,500 lightbulb, you can afford electronics which disable them when the power is removed until you reenter the code. If the lights are useless, they won't be bought; and if they won't be bought, they won't be stolen.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR PORSCHE TO THE FREAKIN SUPERMARKET!!!!!EVER!!!NEVER!!! or leave your wife or girlfriend or both in the car They may be gone but you'll still have the car!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM