Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is the TT doing it for yea?

I've seen several TT's now but have not driven one. IMO I am totally satisfied with the S.(granted, I do have another sports car for a fix) Anyone else feel this way or are you itching to get that TT?

Re: Is the TT doing it for yea?

How about one of each???
    The look has grown on me. At first the exhaust covered with bumper killed it for me, but in person the right color looks killer on the new 997 TT,,,Did I say the right color.
    I really think I would look at a GT2 before the Turbo, but guess what...?
    I am hear to tell you my next Porsche should and probably will be a TARGA S!!....in the right color..;-) of course!!!!!!!!

On 2nd thought, this color is killer
    but I am sooooo bias!!!!!!
    Midnight Blue Turbo, you gotta admit is ...
    Hot, Hot, Hot!!!!!!

Rode in a Turbo recently and must say the acceleration is awesome. But I did miss the exhileration of PSE!! I'm with Vickie (apart from colour) - think I'll wait and see how the Targa looks for real.

Quote:
    I am totally satisfied with the S.

great car but in a completely different league. The TT is a rocket a small price difference when you think about what you get .

I'm loving my C2S, but I do yearn for more power. I simply can't justify spending that amount on a car given my current budget though, so I'll just have to remain satisfied with my C2S. I know, it's a tough life . . .

how 'bout the GT3? it doesn't come with the turbo power, but it'll certainly be more fun to drive and a new one cost less then a new turbo.

The way I understand it is this.

Say you trade in your nearly-new 997s and fork over another us$60-70K to get the turbo.

Will you feel like you wasted money?

From what I've gathered the answer is "No!"

Why?

Because you've crossed the line into SUPER CAR territory. The total difference is well worth it and impossible to imagine unless you've actually been there yourself.

OK, different strokes I see. Just curious if others were feeling the urge or not?

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    OK, different strokes I see. Just curious if others were feeling the urge or not?

I'm trading my 997S in a year or so and getting one. Gotta cross that line into supercar territory to make my life seem complete. Yeah, I know, I have massive problems.

It is making me *want* one and I've been reading all the articles / reviews like I read up on the 997 before it came out. To be honest, I cannot justify spending that sort of cash on a car that I park on the road. Maybe if I had a garage, but they aren't cheap here in London...

I know...I can sell my house and buy a CGT cash, maybe have enough leftover for a dingy condo.
    Would I be happy..NO
    Well, I heard the CGT is difficult to drive..
    Lets pick the Turbo, GT2 or 3, better yet HELLO Targa S
    Wont have to sell home, just get creative on the financing. ;-)

Cheap Supercars!

Hummm..., I just thought of this (ok..., ok..., not too bright, but I have a bad hangover):

The CGT is an amazing super car and part of the "amazing" aspect of it is: it is a BARGAIN at us$450K.

The TT is also in super car territory and is a..., what..., STEAL (?) for us$130k.

So who would have guessed that Porsche produces the "cheapest" supercars in the world!?

Bizzaro world!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The way I understand it is this.

Say you trade in your nearly-new 997s and fork over another us$60-70K to get the turbo.

Will you feel like you wasted money?

From what I've gathered the answer is "No!"

Why?

Because you've crossed the line into SUPER CAR territory. The total difference is well worth it and impossible to imagine unless you've actually been there yourself.

I did and I must say that the turbo is in another league. Unbelievable acceleration and handling

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I know...I can sell my house and buy a CGT cash, maybe have enough leftover for a dingy condo.
    Would I be happy..NO
    Well, I heard the CGT is difficult to drive..
    Lets pick the Turbo, GT2 or 3, better yet HELLO Targa S
    Wont have to sell home, just get creative on the financing. ;-)

Please dont get a blue or black one. And definitly dont get a silver one Try red, gold or that metallic root beer color even the very light metallic ice green (forgot what they are called).

and more,,get the tan and black bi color interior - it rocks... Just my two Lira's worth of advice.

Enjoy!

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    I've seen several TT's now but have not driven one. IMO I am totally satisfied with the S.(granted, I do have another sports car for a fix) Anyone else feel this way or are you itching to get that TT?

I am with you 100%. I can easily afford a 997TT, but with the price different I can buy a very nice sedan.

Took my 997S to the track and felt that it is more than adequate for my skill level. Even if you give me a 997TT on the track, I don't think I will enjoy it much more than my 997S (this of course doesn't apply to drivers that have better skills than me). In city driving, I don't think a 997TT will do much more than my 997S other than the prestige factor.

As for super car territory, I frequently drive my brother's 996TT (which belongs to the super car territory). Of course it is slightly faster than my 997S, but somehow I enjoy driving my rear wheel drive 997S better. Thoughts?

I'd say that if you are happy with your 997S, don't try the 997TT because if you do you will want one. The power difference is huge. That great wall or torque is intoxicating. If you like fair ground rides the TT will tick all your boxes.

997TT - tested and ordered for Sept 07

I can't afford a TT. At least not right now. However, I do think that for city and most highway driving the 997 is probably more practical.

Btw, Targa Tim, I used to know a Tim who a few years back had a 996 targa. He did pharmacology out at UBC.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    I'd say that if you are happy with your 997S, don't try the 997TT because if you do you will want one. The power difference is huge. That great wall or torque is intoxicating. If you like fair ground rides the TT will tick all your boxes.

997TT - tested and ordered for Sept 07

I'd have to agree on that. I am toying with putting my name down for the 2 year waiting list, just when my warrantee on my C2S Cab runs out.

I was firmly in the 'say no to upgrade' camp before I drove the Turbo last week! That rock-steady acceleration is indeed addictive. So take a test-drive at your bank-balances peril... If I had the money I'd look at the F430 and Gallardo too but those are a bit out of my price ranges for now. If not then I'd have a real dilemma!

Boy would I miss the better looks + PSE + Cab roof of my current car though if I 'upgraded'. Shame I couldn't afford to keep both

Now just need to decide between the Turbo's Manual (+SS) or the much heavier but faster Tiptronic...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Why any consideration of heavier weight if it's faster? The weight isn't enough to affect handling (especially as it's low down), and it clearly doesn't make you slower than the manual.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:

I am with you 100%. I can easily afford a 997TT, but with the price different I can buy a very nice sedan.

Took my 997S to the track and felt that it is more than adequate for my skill level. Even if you give me a 997TT on the track, I don't think I will enjoy it much more than my 997S (this of course doesn't apply to drivers that have better skills than me). In city driving, I don't think a 997TT will do much more than my 997S other than the prestige factor.

As for super car territory, I frequently drive my brother's 996TT (which belongs to the super car territory). Of course it is slightly faster than my 997S, but somehow I enjoy driving my rear wheel drive 997S better. Thoughts?

I have to respectfully disagree. I think that the 996 turbo is a much faster car than the 997S. Even more so in the real world low to mid rev range. And the 997 turbo is a few notches above the 996 tt.
    As far as looks go. I know it's subjective, but when I parked my new turbo next to my 997S, I felt that the S looked a little dated and, well... kinda plain.
    I too, feel that the price diff. is huge but so is the return. Most of us will never realize a car's potential, but in any street driving scenario, the turbo satisfies any power hunger, whereas the 997S left me wanting more.

If the extra weight doesn't affect handling then the decision is really just "would I miss changing gears even if it meant the car was slower as a result"...

Thanks!!

997S and 997TT are two different cars. "Crossing the line into supercar territory" isn't just a fluffy way of saying something clever. It's because of the massive torque and super grip and acceleration. It is faster0-60 than the CGT! About 15 mph slower at top speed than CGT (but who notices THAT?)

The 997 TT is not really getting rave reviews though, is it? Thinking about the August Evo edition for instance. Nice, but people are not really blown away by it. Anyway, that's just the journos, but they seem to have a lot more energy for the 997 GT3.

Quote:
    JFT said:
    The 997 TT is not really getting rave reviews though, is it? Thinking about the August Evo edition for instance.

Thanks. Good point. Will check Evo out. Saw the two in Excellence, and the (one?) Panorama reviews which were quite favorable (IMO).

Nevertheless, it's my only hope for the category of "best-car-I-will-ever-own" so, whatever I read, I'm gonna bias the crap out of it.

I own a 997 non S mode and it does everything I want it to. Would I like more hp sure but do I need it???

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I own a 997 non S mode and it does everything I want it to. Would I like more hp sure but do I need it???

Of course you don't NEED it. You don't NEED the standard Carrera either. It's a matter of a LUST for excessive power.

I have a TT ordered for FEB+ delivery, selling a great 2006 C4S........ need for speed

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:

I have to respectfully disagree. I think that the 996 turbo is a much faster car than the 997S. Even more so in the real world low to mid rev range. And the 997 turbo is a few notches above the 996 tt.
    As far as looks go. I know it's subjective, but when I parked my new turbo next to my 997S, I felt that the S looked a little dated and, well... kinda plain.
    I too, feel that the price diff. is huge but so is the return. Most of us will never realize a car's potential, but in any street driving scenario, the turbo satisfies any power hunger, whereas the 997S left me wanting more.

Hi Devo,

Congrats on your 997TT.

Don't get me wrong. The 997TT and 996TT are definitely great cars and better than my 997S. I just felt that for my city driving, the 997TT probably won't do much for me.

As for my brother's 996TT (non modified, non X51), I have driven it many times and felt that although it is faster, it is definitely not much faster. I remember that their 'ring time is only a few seconds difference.

Quote:
    pfslai said:
    I can't afford a TT. At least not right now. However, I do think that for city and most highway driving the 997 is probably more practical.

Btw, Targa Tim, I used to know a Tim who a few years back had a 996 targa. He did pharmacology out at UBC.

Hello,

Yes, you know me. It was a 993 Targa that I've traded for the current 997S.

When you visit Vancouver next time, we will go for a ride.

How is your practice in Toronto?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753875 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431049 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255618 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79651 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868594 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802340 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM