Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Pets crawling on your car, how do you stop that

I would like to seek advice from all those who park in semi-covered areas on how to prevent CATS or DOGS from crawling all over your car. I live in HK and park my car in a semi-covered ground level garage (it's not underground fully covered all US house type garage with electronic doors) and it is really annoying me that I keep seeing footprints of little cats on my newly cleaned car. These are wild cats owned by nobody and I see one or two sleeping or hiding behind cars and it is getting very annoying. Sometimes they sleep on my top and I can find fur hairs all over my top and hood. The worry of course is their feces on my car (so far they hadn't done that) and their PAWS (these are not domesticated cats) scratching paints. So far I am lucky enough to not notice any scratch marks from them but have any owner experienced this sort of matter and know of a good way to civilly get them to stay away from my car?

Re: Pets crawling on your car, how do you stop that

A local ginger tom used sleep on my roof and claw the hood. My solution was a bit drastic as I built a garage (to be honest it was always planned from when the house was bought) but in the short term, I got some tarpaulin, with an eye in each corner and used those elastic bungees with plastic hooks to attach it to the wheel arches. This only protected the hood, not the paintwork but it only takes seconds to attach/detach. It was a left over from my Elise, where I used it to waterproof the car

ptcja:

I had the same problem. I have six dogs at home and they love to craw over my car (this is not the Porsche, thankfully!). They also love to chew the front number plate and chin spoiler. The solution was to get a car cover and I have had no problem since.

For my 997 C4S, I have just got a car cover from Jebsen. Not inexpensive, but well worth the cost.

ERdoc thanks! Yeah I considered the car cover but thought it would be silly since my Porsche is my daily driver. The problem is they come from nowhere and do it in the middle of the night.

Finally guess what? Before I had to worry about the cat today coming off work from broadwood road going to repulse bay direction, I went through pretty fast on the road and a rock hit my side and scratched the driver side of the car. It's my first REAL scratch and it really sucks. Roads in HK oftentimes have loads of small rocks and stones and it bothers me and I don't even drive it fast. I wonder if I should buy a bottle of touchup paint now. It is not THAT BIG but still a cut right through my heart. It sucks as it is visible. What do you think I should do? I have 3545 km on my odometer and maybe I should wait till 5000 km for my first service and have the maintenance centre touch it up for me slightly... what do you think? Just not big enough to take it to a bodyshop but it's visible cos I own the car and I would look at it everyday.

Had the same problem....I even got some scratches on the hood.
    Now I trained that guy to get rid of the other ones. It works great!!!
    /uploads/251317-qqqq.jpg

This could work too...
    /uploads/251319-kkk.jpg

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Had the same problem....I even got some scratches on the hood.
    Now I trained that guy to get rid of the other ones. It works great!!!

Very efficient solution However the Swiss society for the prevention of cruelty to animals might suspend your membership for engaging this nice Caterminator
    Other solution might be to send some electric current through the chassis (like with the famous bull metal fences) - however I don't know how this might affect PSM, PCM and other electric stuff in your car

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    ERdoc thanks! Yeah I considered the car cover but thought it would be silly since my Porsche is my daily driver. The problem is they come from nowhere and do it in the middle of the night.

Finally guess what? Before I had to worry about the cat today coming off work from broadwood road going to repulse bay direction, I went through pretty fast on the road and a rock hit my side and scratched the driver side of the car. It's my first REAL scratch and it really sucks. Roads in HK oftentimes have loads of small rocks and stones and it bothers me and I don't even drive it fast. I wonder if I should buy a bottle of touchup paint now. It is not THAT BIG but still a cut right through my heart. It sucks as it is visible. What do you think I should do? I have 3545 km on my odometer and maybe I should wait till 5000 km for my first service and have the maintenance centre touch it up for me slightly... what do you think? Just not big enough to take it to a bodyshop but it's visible cos I own the car and I would look at it everyday.

My Mini Cooper S is my daily driver but for some reasons it is a sitting duck for my six dogs. Thus I have a car cover for it even though the car is used daily.

Funny enough, I grew up at Broadwood Road and I know that neighbourhood well. After I returned to HK I stayed in Tai Hang for some years. My father is still at Broadwood so if you see a nice Seal Grey 997 C4S going up and down Boradwood it's probably me!

Sorry to hear of the sratch. I would just get some touch up pens and polish and fix it yourself. If Jebsen offer to fix it for no charge, you will be sure the results won't be great. I would touch it myself carefully and let the detailing guys work over it in due course.

Next time I see a nice Seal Grey with Terracotta I will wave to you mine is silver with Black Interior. What's a good touch up pen to get? Should I simply go to the service centre (too far in Cheung Sha Wan) or Porsche Centre CWB? I usually never go up Tai Hang but yesterday was by the area cos I usually go up Blue Pool through Happy V. My lucky day I guess. I posted some pix they were pretty tiny but still visible. Sucks. Thanks

Hey doc, you are too nice to let them sit on your MINI COOPER S. Chewing up the MINI is ridiculous and I hope it doesn't do more than a dent to the front spoiler lip. It's certainly not nice. Can you keep them inside?

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    I would like to seek advice from all those who park in semi-covered areas on how to prevent CATS or DOGS from crawling all over your car.

Shotguns.

Sorted.

JZ

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Next time I see a nice Seal Grey with Terracotta I will wave to you mine is silver with Black Interior. What's a good touch up pen to get? Should I simply go to the service centre (too far in Cheung Sha Wan) or Porsche Centre CWB? I usually never go up Tai Hang but yesterday was by the area cos I usually go up Blue Pool through Happy V. My lucky day I guess. I posted some pix they were pretty tiny but still visible. Sucks. Thanks

For exact colour match, you have to get the Porsche touch-up pens from Jebsen. Sad to say, Jebsen hardly stock anything so you may like to give them a call first.

I was at the parts department yesterday to pick up some accessories and their prices are steep!

Yo doc, no kidding, 4180 for the boxster silk cover I was gonna ask was it made of steel? It's more than any aftermarket covers by the best like www.carcoverworld.com. Is it made in China I hope not. By the way, does anyone know if CATS are afraid of certain smells or seasoning or anything (besides setting up electric fans?). It's still okay now that it is the summer but when winter comes, I can't imagine what they will do to my mobile. Really... bring on the KRYTONITE and scare them off like Lex Luther did to Superman.

This will probably seem rather...unmanly...but the reason I know about the chili pepper trick that I described in your other thread is because of google searches like this one...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=keep+cats+out+of+your+garden&btnG=Google+Search

See if any of that helps you.

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Quote:
    ptcja said:
    I would like to seek advice from all those who park in semi-covered areas on how to prevent CATS or DOGS from crawling all over your car.

Shotguns.

Sorted.

JZ

But not when they are sat on the car. Perforate the pussy, not the car.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Yo doc, no kidding, 4180 for the boxster silk cover I was gonna ask was it made of steel? It's more than any aftermarket covers by the best like www.carcoverworld.com. Is it made in China I hope not. By the way, does anyone know if CATS are afraid of certain smells or seasoning or anything (besides setting up electric fans?). It's still okay now that it is the summer but when winter comes, I can't imagine what they will do to my mobile. Really... bring on the KRYTONITE and scare them off like Lex Luther did to Superman.

The Porsche indoor cover is made in Italy. Nice and soft with a colour Porsche crest. Jebsen billed me $3.4k for it. I believe there is an outdoor version but I do not know how much that costs. Jebsen usually have car covers in stock.

Quote:
    eslai said:
    This will probably seem rather...unmanly...but the reason I know about the chili pepper trick that I described in your other thread is because of google searches like this one...
    Eslai thanks for that. I tell ya I have called the gov/t and it is supposed to set some traps today to catch it but this is only temporarily. In the winter time (thank god I got my 987s early april), 4 or 5 of them come up from the mountains and love to sleep on the top and even warm hoods especially after cars that just drove back. It not only claws the roof but also damages the hood's paint when they stretch. IT's very very annoying plus they love jumping around the cars to play. I have to take a close look and find some pet repellents. Now the BEAMER 7 series Pierce Bronsnan playing Jamesbond had sounded like an excellent idea. Remember that one when the guys were trying to hammer and sabotage it only to find that it was all electricuted? Nice isn't it?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=keep+cats+out+of+your+garden&btnG=Google+Search

See if any of that helps you.

Eslai thanks for that. I tell ya I have called the gov/t and it is supposed to set some traps today to catch it but this is only temporarily. In the winter time (thank god I got my 987s early april), 4 or 5 of them come up from the mountains and love to sleep on the top and even warm hoods especially after cars that just drove back. It not only claws the roof but also damages the hood's paint when they stretch. IT's very very annoying plus they love jumping around the cars to play. I have to take a close look and find some pet repellents. Now the BEAMER 7 series Pierce Bronsnan playing Jamesbond had sounded like an excellent idea. Remember that one when the guys were trying to hammer and sabotage it only to find that it was all electricuted? Nice isn't it?

Quote:
    ERdoc said:
    Quote:
    ptcja said:

The Porsche indoor cover is made in Italy. Nice and soft with a colour Porsche crest. Jebsen billed me $3.4k for it. I believe there is an outdoor version but I do not know how much that costs. Jebsen usually have car covers in stock.

Better check with my sales no way 987s cover as above 4000 for sure. I also wonder, if I have a cover, wouldn't it attract more cats to sleep their since it is so comfy? Then they would even scratch on the cover! So better get one that's extremely durable against nicks and dents. What do you think of this one?

http://www.carcoverworld.com/technalon.asp

http://www.carcoverworld.com/lookup.asp?se=universal_covers&pc=ready-fit_evolution

or this one:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/weathershieldhd.asp

I would kill the animals if they got on my car or even near it:)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    773944 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439855 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261829 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260104 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84682 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5439 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879010 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813681 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM