Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Some more '08 spy shots

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    This is not fair, the front of the new model looks so much better than the current one. I paid $100,000 in cash 6 months ago and my car is almost obsolete.

The main reason I bought the 997S was the way it performed as a daily driver and an occasional track star. Appearance was a factor - but only a minor one.

I can't imagine anyone would feel that their car is "obsolete" because of a few minor cosmetic changes. How can you tell when you're driving it? Driving (and not displaying) a Porsche is the best part!

I like the new face too. Kind of like a toned-down turbo. My intial reaction to the test mule photos are very positive, and usually that is not the case.

I think three model years is an acceptable gap between visual styling changes. For those with a 997 I would not worry, it is still a beautiful car as well and if I were in the market today, I would rather buy it than wait for the new model.

OK. New rear lights I love. Maybe LED? I don't think the tape is there to hide a reflector stripe. Maybe has nothing to do with the looks. The strange reflectors on the coupe look like pieces of foam imo, maybe to test something in the engine. The new headlights seem to have indeed more lenses, so maybe a light has moved form the "under lights" to the headl;ights, and the facelift will get LED directionals? Furthermore, the mirrors look odd, maybe a bit big... and too roundish, hope that it just a weird testing model, I loved the ones on the 997 mk1. Think that sums it up, any other changes spotted?
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    This is not fair, the front of the new model looks so much better than the current one. I paid $100,000 in cash 6 months ago and my car is almost obsolete.

Yeah, sh*t happens. OTOH if you look at other boring cars, like SUVs, they are changing headlights and taillights etc every year. Oh ,well... .

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    Quote:
    Oxonian said:

The main reason I bought the 997S was the way it performed as a daily driver and an occasional track star. Appearance was a factor - but only a minor one.

I can't imagine anyone would feel that their car is "obsolete" because of a few minor cosmetic changes. How can you tell when you're driving it? Driving (and not displaying) a Porsche is the best part!

German automakers were once known for consistency. Example: The 1980 S-Class was replaced in 1992, with nothing more than a minor face-lift in 1986 that was easily retrofittable. Porsche and BMW were also running their models for longer periods.

It seems that the German automakers have caught the face-lift syndrome that plagues other automakers. Face-lifts may be good for sales, but this shouldn't apply with premium autos. Is Ferrari suffering from this face-lift syndrome? I doubt it.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

It seems that the German automakers have caught the face-lift syndrome that plagues other automakers.

Yup, you nailed it (IMO). Brought to you by the same marketing types who insisted on the wart!

Quote:
    Is Ferrari suffering from this face-lift syndrome? I doubt it.

Porsche becomes more everyday and Ferrari becomes more exotic .. It is almost like Ferrari is building cars as more of an art form than a money thing . Like the difference between a Jazz musician and a Pop musician both make great music but the Pop thing is much more geared to bringing in $$$ and taking a path that is more about profit and not the true art form . Periodic facelifts on the same model of a car every few years is all about making more money for the company and does not really have the customers best interest in mind . These things are planned well in advance and it is a kind of planed obsolescence . It would make owning a Ferrari and even more special experience for those of us who have played this game with Porsche over the last 6 or seven years .

planned obsolescence - I ran into that term yesterday reading about America's influential industrial designer, Brook Stevens.

Re: Facelift too soon?

This is a comment which is in my opinion not fair. Porsche is very keen in its own interest to keep depreciation low and customer satisfaction high. All previous model changes were very subtle. This is only a minor facelift after 4 years in the market. We should not complain rather be happy with a few horses more and a fresh look. By the way: I got my 997 just 4 months ago. Nor reason to be worried. But of course everybody has his/her own opinion.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Oh BTW, if Oxonian is right (re:only "bolt on" facelift components for 2008) all you have to do to "update" your car is buy tail lights, rear bumper, front bumper, fogs, and maybe some door mirrors. What's that..., us$3K?

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED!

like the revised rear lights, dislike the front (large vents/ducts/scoops/etc. starts to look very dated very quickly IMO).

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Wow, it is getting funny... this is a very minor facelift, most normal people won't see the difference. I would not get all worked up about planned obsolesence because that is not what it is about. I would really be surprised if this was enough to make someone trade their 997 in. I wouldn't.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:

Porsche becomes more everyday and Ferrari becomes more exotic .. It is almost like Ferrari is building cars as more of an art form than a money thing . Like the difference between a Jazz musician and a Pop musician both make great music but the Pop thing is much more geared to bringing in $$$ and taking a path that is more about profit and not the true art form . Periodic facelifts on the same model of a car every few years is all about making more money for the company and does not really have the customers best interest in mind . These things are planned well in advance and it is a kind of planed obsolescence . It would make owning a Ferrari and even more special experience for those of us who have played this game with Porsche over the last 6 or seven years .

Exactly...

The back looks good ,
    the front terrible
    The mirrors look like an hybrid between the 997 and 993

No reason to change the car for that .

Much more HP would be the real temptation.....

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:

Exactly...

The 430 in exterior is no more than a big face lifting of the 430... same about the 997 with 996.

Then you should just see the concern that Ferrari has in bringing in $$$$!!! They will sell even their mothers to get more and more money inside Ferrari. they even took old bits of cars selling them like you said "art" to people that have money to spent...Just tel you that in Ferrari are not at all looking to the cars as much as to the money they can get, and the profit margins in a Ferrari is alot higher than the one applied by Porsche in his cars. Not talking about the politics of the Ferrari to maintain the prices high of their cars by making them in less numbers than the market's request.

Yes I agree that Porsches become more commune cars, but in the same time I think Ferrari become more and more the car to show off....

This would be a great excuse for me to buy a RUF front bumper. About the rear, I need to see the actual rear when it comes out. If in fact it is good looking than I hope that it will be a lights and bumper replacement.

I always like to keep up with the styling. I want to drive my car at least until 998 comes out. I wanted the car to be a keeper so I hope the facelift is retrofitable.

I would not be pissed on the power bump as long as there is nothing major done to the engine. We already know that they put some lame headers on the S and I strongly believe that there is more to be released NA with decent tuning.

Another thing is some of you are saying it will be 4 years but as fas as I know 997 came out as a 2005 model with my C4S being introduced at least a year later. Even for the regular Carrera and the S 2008 model makes it barely 3 years. Than in my book is very short.

Here are the tail lights without any camouflage...
    Unless they already exist on another car.....and P, wanting to save money, or to look fashionable is taking them from an existing ' under product'...

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Here are the tail lights without any camouflage...
    Unless they already exist on another car.....and P, wanting to save money, or to look fashionable is taking them from an existing ' under product'...

LOL! I think your observation is correct BUT it is from the future.

I kinda like the back-end update, but I prefer my current '06 front-end. But regardless it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, and it CERTAINLY isn't anything that makes me want to sell/trade my '06 to get. Besides... with an aerokit upgrade in my plans, maybe if I wait I can get the '08 version with the new tail lights if it is adaptable to the non-4S (widebody) version. Don't know if I can wait that long, but if not the subtle changes aren't going to break my heart if I don't have them.

The GT3 has the best looking rear bumper . It may be worth it to change the pipes just to have that bumper .

Guys is not official at 100% but from a reliable source,it seems that these are not pics of the 997 MK2,but are pics of the Carrera Sport,that will be a special edition of the 997,like the 996 C4S/996 40 Jahre were for the 996...

This one will have rear tail lights different to match the tail lights stripe like the 996 C4S,new front bumper simil turbo with led indicator and new directional front lights,that in future will be available for all 997 like option,this car will have also powerkit standard..

I hope this info is true,becouse this friend is well introduced..

Would be great news! So not really an update, just extended options? Thanks for the info Dario!
    -Joost-

I dont' like the rear, seems a bit contrived. Probably did it so when the LED's come out, you just can't swap the lenses out, you have to buy a whole new car! Smart guys those Porsche guys.

Quote:
    Joost said:
    OK. New rear lights I love. Maybe LED? I don't think the tape is there to hide a reflector stripe. Maybe has nothing to do with the looks. The strange reflectors on the coupe look like pieces of foam imo, maybe to test something in the engine. The new headlights seem to have indeed more lenses, so maybe a light has moved form the "under lights" to the headl;ights, and the facelift will get LED directionals? Furthermore, the mirrors look odd, maybe a bit big... and too roundish, hope that it just a weird testing model, I loved the ones on the 997 mk1. Think that sums it up, any other changes spotted?
    -Joost-

Are we not also looking at a new wheel design on the back of the coupe?

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys is not official at 100% but from a reliable source,it seems that these are not pics of the 997 MK2,but are pics of the Carrera Sport,that will be a special edition of the 997,like the 996 C4S/996 40 Jahre were for the 996...

This one will have rear tail lights different to match the tail lights stripe like the 996 C4S,new front bumper simil turbo with led indicator and new directional front lights,that in future will be available for all 997 like option,this car will have also powerkit standard..

denghiu'

Quote:
    Super Darius said:

....also like the 993C2S

Quote:
    magu said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:

denghiu'

to you!

Super Darius, your message is the most believable interpretation of what we are seeing, IMO.

And frankly, I don't get all the anxiousness expressed by some that Porsche may have prematurely "updated" the cosmetics of the 997, and now the original 997's are "obsolete". Are you saying you drive P-cars just because of the way they look?

I can tell you this -- there are many words that can be used to describe my Guards Red 997 with all-leather interior, but "obsolete" is not one of them.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    I dont' like the rear, seems a bit contrived. Probably did it so when the LED's come out, you just can't swap the lenses out, you have to buy a whole new car! Smart guys those Porsche guys.

sorry..maybe i explain not well..

The front lights directional will not be retrofittable..will be only available as an option when you oreder your new 997,but maybe from MY2008
    the rear light with that shape will be only available for this specific model and sure on the other 997 led rear lights will be introduced in the future but more probabily with the same shape of the current one..

Quote:
    Super Darius said:

That makes so much sense!!!!

The directional lights will be a great option

And I agree, a small change in the lights does not make the 997 look dated, old, obsolete!! Unless you are a real fashion victim, but then..... one would have to change car every 6 month anyway..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM