Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Car and Driver - comparison test Z06 v 997 TT v F430

I can't believe these comments about the Z06 being a performer because it's made of plastic, but it must be a coffin for similar reasons. I know I'm not quoting exactly, but the message is clear - clear crap.

The Z06 outperforms the 997 Turbo because it is one helluva car. Team Corvette has made one helluva car that has won many endurance racing championships recently - dominated in fact. It is a testament to American engineering. It is not just a streetlight to streetlight drag racer, it is a supercar (by perfromance, not price and exclusivity standards) and it is by far the best bargain in sportscars on the planet.

I'm a Porsche lover, and I can appreciate what Porsche offers that Corvette doesn't, but I won't con myself into believing baloney.

Someone once asked me if I bought my 997S for performance and I said yes. They told me I was therefore a fool, because if performance was what I was after, I should have bought a Z06. He's right. I didn't buy my Porsche for performance - I bought it for performance plus a whole lot of other stuff that I like (and I personally believe that no other manufacturer packages all that stuff into one great product better than Porsche). That shouldn't distract from what the Z06 has to offer though, and it shouldn't lead to the conclusion that the Z06 is any less of a sportscar.

Well said.

As the great American Mille Miglia driver, WC Fields once said, "I never met a nymphonmaniac I couldn't love."

Its a great time to be a car guy.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    I can't believe these comments about the Z06 being a performer because it's made of plastic, but it must be a coffin for similar reasons. I know I'm not quoting exactly, but the message is clear - clear crap.

The Z06 outperforms the 997 Turbo because it is one helluva car. Team Corvette has made one helluva car that has won many endurance racing championships recently - dominated in fact. It is a testament to American engineering. It is not just a streetlight to streetlight drag racer, it is a supercar (by perfromance, not price and exclusivity standards) and it is by far the best bargain in sportscars on the planet.

I'm a Porsche lover, and I can appreciate what Porsche offers that Corvette doesn't, but I won't con myself into believing baloney.

Someone once asked me if I bought my 997S for performance and I said yes. They told me I was therefore a fool, because if performance was what I was after, I should have bought a Z06. He's right. I didn't buy my Porsche for performance - I bought it for performance plus a whole lot of other stuff that I like (and I personally believe that no other manufacturer packages all that stuff into one great product better than Porsche). That shouldn't distract from what the Z06 has to offer though, and it shouldn't lead to the conclusion that the Z06 is any less of a sportscar.

Well said and I AGREE!!!

Now they should put the TT on a serious diet

It might be quicker for the driver (me) to shed 20 pounds than wait (weight?) for Porsche AG.

Quote:
    DJB said:
    Its a great time to be a car guy.

I think this is the sentiment. You can get, practically anything you want in a car nowadays.

Strapped on cash, addicted to speed/performance? Get a ZO6.

Worried about safety but too performance conscious for an AMG? Get a 911 Turbo.

Turned off by the lack of stylistics in the 911/Z06? Get an F430 if you're lucky enough

Want to be the Wild Card? Get a Lambo!

Furthermore, we shouldn't look at these performance reports as discriminating sources to show finally "which one's better", but rather a source of empirical data to further you into a direction for any of these fabulous cars.

None of them really work in direct competition, these pairings are fabricated and somewhat illogical

Wow that sums it up perfectly

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

A factory team that beats private teams in the lower classes is not exactly what I would call domination...

BTW a Radical or Donkervoort would easily outperform the ZO6.Are those better cars?

Now I'm sure some of you will say that the Radical and Donkervoort aren't street legal in the US and that the boot is small and that the ride quality is awful...

Well,the Z06 can't be driven on snow or even wet surfaces.The Z06 needs more servicing than the 997T.And then there's the ride quality of the Z06.

If the Radical and the Donkeyfoot could also outpace the Z06 on the Autobahn... then yes they would be better cars.

If you haven't figured it out... the vette is giving you the performance level PAST the very NEW 997 TT for about half the price. Give credit where credit is due. I may not go out and buy one however I will say that GM made a very good decision with this car.

...as for Porsche... I really miss the days of the 993TT when Porsche limited production and the car's performance was king.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    If the Radical and the Donkeyfoot could also outpace the Z06 on the Autobahn... then yes they would be better cars.

If you haven't figured it out... the vette is giving you the performance level PAST the very NEW 997 TT for about half the price. Give credit where credit is due. I may not go out and buy one however I will say that GM made a very good decision with this car.

...as for Porsche... I really miss the days of the 993TT when Porsche limited production and the car's performance was king.

When sales start dropping, Porsche shall once again be king. But not before that. However, almost as fast as a C6Z, with much more comfort and refinement isn't that bad in my book. Besides, the GT2 will be the spiritual competition to the C6Z (the rumored SS or Blue devil is really in a class of its own with an engine the size of Texas).

You do realize that you have basically stated that a car nearly 3x the cost of the other will be its spiritual competition.

Hooray beer.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    You do realize that you have basically stated that a car nearly 3x the cost of the other will be its spiritual competition.

Hooray beer.

Why yes! In spirit, they are equals. RWD, lighrweight and similar horsepower. In reality, the GT2 is a noble and the C6Z is a psychotic peasant, working on the fields all day, waiting to grab his pitchfork and, along with some of his peers, assault the nobles, only to be beaten back down, despite the passionate, aggressive and forceful fighting, succumbing to the nobles' sense of strategy and finesse.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:

Considering that the Z06 can only be driven when the sun is shining and considering things like service intervals,safety and comfort,it would be an outrage if the Corvette cost as much as the 997T.
    And the 150kg lighter and 30hp more powerful Corvette better be faster than the Porsche.

I give credit where it's due and I won't give it where it isn't. The Z is a great fast car in a straight line and in the twisties. It's marginally faster than the turbo in most situations. It's also grossly pales in quality. Poor paint, fit and finish, interior, ride quality, etc...
    You get what you pay for.
    The only reason the argument exists is because of the price difference. If the prices were the same, nobody in their right mind would buy the vette. ;

Quote:
    DJB said:
    It might be quicker for the driver (me) to shed 20 pounds than wait (weight?) for Porsche AG.

True, but the Turbo needs to lose hundreds of pound and I'm assuming you don't

Quote:
    devo said:
    I give credit where it's due and I won't give it where it isn't. The Z is a great fast car in a straight line and in the twisties. It's marginally faster than the turbo in most situations. It's also grossly pales in quality. Poor paint, fit and finish, interior, ride quality, etc...
    You get what you pay for.
    The only reason the argument exists is because of the price difference. If the prices were the same, nobody in their right mind would buy the vette. ;

You are welcome to attempt to convince Porsche to lower the TT price.

Good luck!

Willing to sacrifice paying extra money for more luxury but will also accept not having first in class performance?

Might I suggest a nice SL550 soon?

Thanks, Grant. I feel much better and, on that, am going to go get a pizza.

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    According to the article the Z06 did 0 to 60 in 3.5 sec. There is NO WAY IN HELL that that car is capable of that time on ANY asphalt pavement which is what 95% of all roads are here in the US. It's spin city simply pressing down the gas pedal in 1'st gear in that car.

The only chance that car has of a sub 4 sec time is being on grated concrete. I've been a Vette guy all my life and yes I've owned Z06's & personally I'm fed up with the front engine RWD platform for streetlight to streetlight racing. It blows chunks.

Incorrect. I can consistently bring my Z to 60 in under 4 seconds.

RWD platform shines on the track. The GT2, GT3 and CGT are all RWD for a reason.

Quote:
    forhamilton said:
    Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    According to the article the Z06 did 0 to 60 in 3.5 sec. There is NO WAY IN HELL that that car is capable of that time on ANY asphalt pavement which is what 95% of all roads are here in the US. It's spin city simply pressing down the gas pedal in 1'st gear in that car.

The only chance that car has of a sub 4 sec time is being on grated concrete. I've been a Vette guy all my life and yes I've owned Z06's & personally I'm fed up with the front engine RWD platform for streetlight to streetlight racing. It blows chunks.

RWD platform shines on the track. The GT2, GT3 and CGT are all RWD for a reason.

concrete yes, asphalt

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    forhamilton said:
    Quote:
    Tony007 said:

concrete yes, asphalt

I ran a 3.7 second 0-60 followed by an 11.7 @ 123mph 1/4 mile on asphalt.

Maybe you shouldn't assume that your inability to do something doesn't necessarily mean someone else can't do it.

Crash now that was too funny

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Crash now that was too funny

I really think most car mags are better at writing than they are at driving. Here are a series of pics of me passing a Porsche GT3 Cup car at NHIS on 7-10-06 coming out of turn 10. At the end of the day I had alot of fun catching him again and passing him into turn 1. This was the instructor group so I assume he had a considerable amount of experience. In the last pic you can just see his nose in the right side of the pic. This is real world, on a real track. I did have non-stock brakes, wheels and tires.

Quote:
    Gary Hoffman said:Here are a series of pics of me passing a Porsche GT3 Cup car...I did have non-stock brakes, wheels and tires.

So passing the GT3 proves what?

Looks like he moved over to let you by.

Not sure if you are trying to say you are a better driver, had a faster car, had more guts, or just were pushing it harder, but congrats on getting the pictures to send around.

Crash, you may want to call for medical assistance so you can properly remove your head from your ass.

Quote:
    forhamilton said:
    Crash, you may want to call for medical assistance so you can properly remove your head from your ass.

Right after they remove all you poor Texans from Dubya's hiney.

Quote:
    forhamilton said:

note that he said FRONT ENGINE / RWD cars blow chunks...not just RWD cars

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752889 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430555 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM