Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bumper dent by loose debris on highway

I drove my car today on the highway and out of the blue a piece of debris from somewhat hits my bumper. Anyone with this experience and know how much would this cost me?

Re: Bumper dent by loose debris on highway

That sucks

Back in 01' I got a brand new Ford Expedition, and a couple days after getting it, I was on the fwy, and the car up in front of me ran over a droken off piece of muffler pipe, and it flew about 2 feet in the air and hit my front bumper. I took it in to my insurance co. and I was only charged a $100 "uninsured motorist" deductible, my bumper was replaced and my insurance never went up, and didn't even showed up on my policy.

So, perhaps (depending on your ins. co.), you may get away with only the "uninsured motorist" deductible.

That sucks. A dent/paint repair guy could fix that. Nose around the dealer and find out who does their stuff. They usually have a guy that comes in every once and a while to do the repairs. Even though it bugs you, that area is probably hard to see. I had an incident on another car recently, very similar to yours and the guy said wait for more damage before repair. His hesitation was that in order to blend that and do a clear coat "fog" there is the chance you'd be able to tell and it wouldn't be perfect. It's hard to tell how deep yours is but I'd bet it'd polish out. Good luck getting it fixed.

I say the heck with it; unless it looks really bad (in the picture it looks low enough to be passable).

Just wait until you get another mini front bumper accident or fifteen rock chips and then get the thing re-done or replaced.

There's gonna be some wear and tear on a "practical" daily driver car.

Guess it's time to buy that aerokit!!

(I had a similar incident and just live with it for now. I WILL be getting the aerokit in the not-too-distant future.)

Apparently, that kind of damage can be fixed by heating the plastic and getting out the dent. It should be done by a body shop. Give Umberto a call at Bianchi Bros. on King St.

It's tempting at this point to add something to the front bumper but if I had the aerokit the damage would even be worse.

Btw, I scared to get my bumper painted. A few years back when I had my Merc serviced at MB, they scratched my bumper and had them painted. A few months later the paint started to peel off. So they painted it again and the paint peeled off again.

Apparently, I was told that because bumpers flex, a special paint or epoxy is needed in order for the paint to stay on.

With the amount of debris on highways these days we're somewhat lucky it's not worse! Fortunately, EVERYTHING can be fixed. If you can tolerate having that little thing there just go with it for now and when the next event happens you can get it all cleared up with a nose respray. These days they put a high amount of flex agent into the paint as the noses are designed to deform. It did what it was supposed to do! It's the price we pay for a low nose and to cheat the wind, for the most part!

Dan

I would say forget it if it's a daily driver. It doesn't look that bad and surely more is to come over the time you'll own the car.

Luckly that is all that happened. The marks are low so hopefully it does not take away from the car.

Quote:
    pfslai said:
    Anyone with this experience and know how much would this cost me?

Cost you? Cost you to do what? Are you really going to redo your bumper for that???... Don't you plan to drive your car anymore? Will it sit in an air-locked bubble in a museum?...

Just keep driving and forget about that detail.

Just replaced the rear bumper cover for my 986 ... $680 for the part, plus labor and paint, etc.

I just took the car to Pfaff autoworks. Total damage incl. taxes is $1050 CDN (minus 10% off for PCA members). They will basically heat part of that bumper and remold it and then repaint it. I didn't mind the scratches on the bottom but the dent in the front is a bit more noticeable than the pix would suggest. The problem is that this is not my daily car. My daily Audi A4 was dinged last week. Took it to Dent Doctor and had it undinged for $140 CDN.

Just not having luck with cars
    At least the body shop had a very cute looking receptionist for me to gawk at!

I dropped off my car for a similar repair. I will post price and pics when they call me back.

Best of luck,
    Ray

just pisses you off.

Quote:
    pfslai said:
    I just took the car to Pfaff autoworks. Total damage incl. taxes is $1050 CDN (minus 10% off for PCA members). They will basically heat part of that bumper and remold it and then repaint it. I didn't mind the scratches on the bottom but the dent in the front is a bit more noticeable than the pix would suggest. The problem is that this is not my daily car. My daily Audi A4 was dinged last week. Took it to Dent Doctor and had it undinged for $140 CDN.

Just not having luck with cars

Can you post any photos of the receptionist

Only if I can get a date. So it's pretty much impossible.

Quote:
    pfslai said:

Should've asked her to try and polish the scratches out ..

throt...

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    pfslai said:

Should've asked her to try and polish the scratches out ..

throt...

Alls I think when reading this is:
    The front end of a Porsche takes beatings all the way around with the dynamics..Some time ago a rock flew through my front vent and punctured a/c condesor. I am always wondering whats gonna be flying next.. The sacrafice of owning a Porsche...LooL
    Yeah and did we mention I put H and R Springs on the car, dropped it down 1.5, looks soooo sexy awesome, but.......!!!

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I put H and R Springs on the car, dropped it down 1.5, looks soooo sexy awesome, but.......!!!

How about posting some pics of it?

Most likey 3M Clear Body armour (clear bra) would have stopped some of the damage....... Definitely would have helped.

hello..old pic..I put PSE exhaust also on my 997, different tips

When my seal grey 997 had about 50 miles on it, a wheel crest fell off. I took the car into the Porsche/Accura dealer, pulled in line (very small area) behind an MDX and went inside. A guy comes from nowhere, gets into the MDX, puts it in reverse and before I can scream stop, WHAM . So my new baby has a dent. Luckily, we have a guy who does high end cars exclusively. What I found out was that in order for the paint to take you need to be able to heat the thing much higher than a metal piece, but not melt the bumper. The repair was perfect, but he warned me that the paint still takes 3 months to set up and no sealants of any kind before that.

If you can live with the dent, you can wait. I'd be getting it fixed because that is me, and it is my daily driver and I know they'll be another stone or such, but pick a body shop that knows what they are doing.

I got my car back today. I was in a hurry and didn't check the work in detail until I got back into the office. There was actually still a small dimple where the dent was. What bothered me more is that the black plastic cover just below the license plate that was pushed by the dent is still not fully pulled back in place.

Now I have to bring the car back on Monday. I alway wished that I can see that cute receptionist again. We all know the saying: "be careful of what you wish for".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762348 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260485 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257533 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872212 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807585 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM