Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG plotting new SLR with hybrid power for 2018 launch

Lars997:
    J.Seven:

11.000 rpm from a 1.6L engine !!! must come directly from the F1. I wonder how will it sound.

It is a F1 engine. Same which was used last year. They changed a few things (adding electric starter, etc.) and explained everything in detail to me. And regarding 50tkm run time - they are very proud to achieve this ;)

We signed by now or LOI of buying one and are still in the loop of being selected. Let's keep fingers crossed Smiley

It is a very interestingly looking car - I will keep my fingers crossed for you Smiley

Would you drive it, though? Personally, I would not use a car in that price range. I would always think of what happens if the car gets crashed... It would not be relaxing at all to drive it Smiley

I think this car needs to be driven. But probably more like - driving it to car events. Mercedes is building a community around this car, so you will have upcoming P1 meetings. It is still unclear if Mercedes is able to provide an insurance for this car. All those parameters need to be considered. 

For us this is an investment into a piece of art. We are collecting various art, but majorly paintings. So having a car as a piece of art would work well, too. 

However - only 30 are going to stay in Germany and I have my doubts we will be on the final list. But - you never now Smiley

well done - wink 

Won't be cheap to rebuild, but I bet you can barely even find one Enzo with 50000 km on it. Cost of rebuild won't be bad when you consider it spread over 15 - 20 years.

noone1:

Won't be cheap to rebuild, but I bet you can barely even find one Enzo with 50000 km on it. Cost of rebuild won't be bad when you consider it spread over 15 - 20 years.

There is one with 30.000km. 

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=238561919&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&a...

Unlikely that a standard Benz dealer would be able to service this car and perform the 50,000km engine overhaul.  Car will likely have to be shipped back to Germany.

GT-Boy:

Unlikely that a standard Benz dealer would be able to service this car and perform the 50,000km engine overhaul.  Car will likely have to be shipped back to Germany.

The car will never be at a Mercedes Benz Dealer. Responsible for Service will be the AMG performance centers.

MKSGR:

Complete engine overhaul every 50.000km... Not cheap...

Race car engine for the street, of course is not gonna be cheap.

But if one consider the street usage, say average speed would be 100km/hr (which is highly unlikely as the avg would be dragged down by dat to day traffic), 50,000km means 500 hours service interval. Far better than their race counterpart. 

Porsche race engines in the Cup car are spec-ed for 60 hours rebuilt.

And I just realized Porsche did some smoke and mirrors on the service interval on the Clubsport, they spec-ed major service every 5000km, sounded very reasonable, but then I realized I am averaging just over 120km/hr per lap, so in hours term it is actually slightly over 40 hoursSmiley

--

Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:

But if one consider the street usage, say average speed would be 100km/hr (which is highly unlikely as the avg would be dragged down by dat to day traffic), 50,000km means 500 hours service interval. Far better than their race counterpart. 

And I just realized Porsche did some smoke and mirrors on the service interval on the Clubsport, they spec-ed major service every 5000km, sounded very reasonable, but then I realized I am averaging just over 120km/hr per lap, so in hours term it is actually slightly over 40 hoursSmiley

Nick, you need to check this again. I was talking to a local team running 3 x CS in Racing and the head tech told that they do not intend to look at the engines until 20.000 km. The latest 911 cup engine I believe has just increased to 100 or 120 hrs of running, so little logic in why the CS should only last 40 hours. At least get this checked.

tso:
    Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:

Nick, you need to check this again. I was talking to a local team running 3 x CS in Racing and the head tech told that they do not intend to look at the engines until 20.000 km. The latest 911 cup engine I believe has just increased to 100 or 120 hrs of running, so little logic in why the CS should only last 40 hours. At least get this checked.

Major service, as in oil change and whatnots. Not rebuilts Smiley

But most race teams service the car after every race anyway, build change and stuff.

--

Dooh...it is getting late her kiss

Lars997:
    J.Seven:

11.000 rpm from a 1.6L engine !!! must come directly from the F1. I wonder how will it sound.

It is a F1 engine. Same which was used last year. They changed a few things (adding electric starter, etc.) and explained everything in detail to me. And regarding 50tkm run time - they are very proud to achieve this ;)

We signed by now or LOI of buying one and are still in the loop of being selected. Let's keep fingers crossed Smiley

Wow my friend, you sign for one Smiley Smiley Check your whatsApp Smiley

--

J.Seven

Lars997:

I think this car needs to be driven. But probably more like - driving it to car events. Mercedes is building a community around this car, so you will have upcoming P1 meetings. It is still unclear if Mercedes is able to provide an insurance for this car. All those parameters need to be considered. 

For us this is an investment into a piece of art. We are collecting various art, but majorly paintings. So having a car as a piece of art would work well, too. 

However - only 30 are going to stay in Germany and I have my doubts we will be on the final list. But - you never now Smiley

Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:

You are right. My problem would be more like an emotional issue as I had to think about the 50.000km every time I would be driving the car, if you know what I mean. Same with the value of the car - it is unlikely that you crash the car but still - it would prevent me from really enjoying the ride, I am afraid Smiley 

Insurance could really be an issue, would probably be available on an individual basis but surely not cheap. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Insurance could really be an issue, would probably be available on an individual basis but surely not cheap. 

Yep - it is a discussion point. Even if you leave it somewhere for an exhibit or just at home - it needs to have an insurance, right? So - AMG is working with MB Financial Services on it. 

The guys who owns a huge Porsche stable close to my home ( 918, Carrera GT,  2 x 911 R , 993 Turbo S , Sports classic, GT2 RS , etc..... ) does not insure any of his cars . I had once a discussion with him about it and he feels the insurances are just a big rip off and with the money he saved over the years by not insuring them, he has enough to pay damages that could happen .  He only does the minimum that is obligatory to drive on the road, which in Switzerland is insurance covering the damage on other cars , if you have an accident . It is usually a very low amount .

He is very wealthy so that is helping , but  I am also pretty sure that with his stable it makes sense .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The guys who owns a huge Porsche stable close to my home ( 918, Carrera GT,  2 x 911 R , 993 Turbo S , Sports classic, GT2 RS , etc..... ) does not insure any of his cars . I had once a discussion with him about it and he feels the insurances are just a big rip off and with the money he saved over the years by not insuring them, he has enough to pay damages that could happen .  He only does the minimum that is obligatory to drive on the road, which in Switzerland is insurance covering the damage on other cars , if you have an accident . It is usually a very low amount .

He is very wealthy so that is helping , but  I am also pretty sure that with his stable it makes sense .

Wealthy or not - I think is is kind of dumb. If the garage burns down and all those valuable cars are gone Smiley

Back on topic...

Lars997, this Mercedes looks fantastic kiss

I hope you will get one !!

Weird that he wouldn't insure his cars. Pretty stupid.

1) If he has so many, he could get fleet insurance. You can't drive all the cars at once, so they really don't charge you full price on each one. Dealers don't have full coverage on their entire lot of individual cars. Best to get a dealer's license.

2) You want personal liability insurance more than collision in insurance. You can get sued for a lot more than the value of the car.

3) What if his house burns down or some other disaster?

If you have enough cars (in Canada I think it is ten) you can get fleet insurance which is significantly cheaper. 

Self insurance is very viable if a)you paid cash for the cars (so you don't owe someone else money if it gets destroyed/stolen) and b)the cost of insurance in aggregate would greatly exceed your likely insurance claims.

Remember all insurance (including life insurance) is you betting something will happen and the insurance company betting it won't . Term life insurance is saying "I bet I'm going to die in the next x number of years" You win either way! If you die you were right and they have to give your estate a bunch of money. If you were wrong, well you get to keep living!!smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

tso:

Back on topic...

Thanks tso - we are hoping, too! Already planning a glass-house for it Smiley I hope not all of those cars are going to be delivered into your current region! Smiley

Lars997:
    tso:

Back on topic...

Thanks tso - we are hoping, too! Already planning a glass-house for it Smiley I hope not all of those cars are going to be delivered into your current region! Smiley

Have yours delivered here, and I will nurse it for you. I promise I will keep it just below redline Smiley

Lars997:
    Gnil:

Wealthy or not - I think is is kind of dumb. If the garage burns down and all those valuable cars are gone Smiley

They are speed out in four different garages , one being the Porsche dealer where most cars are parked . There is certainly a fire insurance coverage from the dealership . 

How many accidents did you have in the last 20 years ? Smiley

--

Mithras:

Term life insurance is saying "I bet I'm going to die in the next x number of years" You win either way! If you die you were right and they have to give your estate a bunch of money. If you were wrong, well you get to keep living!!smiley

Exactly ! Smiley

--

noone1:

2) You want personal liability insurance more than collision in insurance. You can get sued for a lot more than the value of the car.

Switzerland is not the US 

--

So if you're worth $100M and you stupidly kill someone while speeding, you can't be sued for much? I find it hard to believe Switzerland doesn't have high dollar civil suits. You guys give $200K speeding tickets...

Gnil:
    Lars997:
    Gnil:

They are speed out in four different garages , one being the Porsche dealer where most cars are parked . There is certainly a fire insurance coverage from the dealership . 

How many accidents did you have in the last 20 years ? Smiley

If you worry about the garage burning down you get home owners insurance. 

The key to self insurance is to be consistent. Like the silly insurance they offer for every electronic or mechanical device these days. Never take that. 

What if your car gets stolen?

Leawood911:
    Like the silly insurance they offer for every electronic or mechanical device these days. Never take that. 

+ 1 . I always refuse these . It ' s a consumer's money' s trap .  And it is getting silly .  Now buying concert's tickets you need to tick the insurance otherwise you automatically buy one . etc..... 

I was actually looking with a friend to make some of these silly insurances . People buy them . There is lots of cash to be made with that . 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752991 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430659 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258570 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255447 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868265 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801807 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM