Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Reverse curse revisited

Picked-up my MY06 C2S last week and finally went for my first spin yesterday when the sun came out after a whole week of rain and flood in NY metro area...
    It looks like my C2S is suffering from the reverse problem that some of you experienced a few months ago - in some occasions, I had to try 5 or 6 times before it finally went into reverse!!! I would have thought that Porsche would have fixed this problem by now and would not be shipping cars with such an obvious problem!!! I have had many cars in my life (BMWs, Mercedes, etc.), none as costly as the C2S, and I have "never" had problems getting those cars into reverse.
    Has anyone else with a MY06 997 experienced the reverse problem?

Re: Reverse curse revisited

Hmmm, do you have the stock shifter or the short shifter? You may need a minor adjustment is all. My 2006 has not had this problem. Several times she's been hard to get into first but at 400 miles she seems to be loosening up and I anticipate no problems once she's broken in.

Hi AeroSmith, I have the stock shifter. What do you have in yours?
    First gear has been hard but not a problem. The reverse is a whole other story. I thought I was gonna have to push the car back a few times until reverse finally went in. I am calling the dealer now. Thanks!

I too have the stock shifter (going to put in the SS though) and for the first couple of hundred miles the reverse was VERY tough to engage, but now at 3000 miles it is a distant memory.

I find that if you shift quickly it works, try slowly and it won't go. Likely need adj. but I am going to wait til spring check up.

PWZ, Mike: I just spoke to the service manager and he said the same thing you both told me - he said to continue using it and if I still get problems to bring it in for a minor cable adjustment.
    It must be that I am not used to it yet. So, I'll practice a bit more and will see what happens. Thanks all!

Quote:
    gmp said:
    PWZ, Mike: I just spoke to the service manager and he said the same thing you both told me - he said to continue using it and if I still get problems to bring it in for a minor cable adjustment.
    It must be that I am not used to it yet. So, I'll practice a bit more and will see what happens. Thanks all!

From the experiences of others, and from my experience, this problem doesn't get better, it gets worse. After all, my car's reverse would engage at the factory, on the boat, off the boat, and around the dealership going through dealer-prep, and then after I drove it off the lot it decided it was through accommodating that. And when I say it stopped going into reverse, I mean PERIOD. You're lucky that you can coax it in after several tries. When mine went afoul, it completely locked you out of reverse, you had to push the car backwards. My prediction is that you'll go from being tough to get into reverse, to absolute refusal to go into reverse. Don't park your car pointing downhill!!

It's just a simple adjustment, and once mine was adjusted into spec, I've never had a problem since. It GLIDES in and out of reverse, EFFORTLESSLY. If yours is being so contrary, you may as well get it over with and get it adjusted correctly. Your reverse should engage effortlessly. The fact that yours is being such a pain, means that you're way out of proper adjustment, beyond what simply "driving it more" will ever fix, IMHO..

Hey Bossnine... All my cars have always been sticks, but this one is a tough nut to crack.
    I probably will have to take it in to get serviced! Otherwise, I got to make sure that I always carry a passenger with me... just in case I need to have someone push the car backward. Maybe we should call this the BBGB option (Bring Buddy to Go Back)

Quote:
    gmp said:
    Maybe we should call this the BBGB option (Bring Buddy to Go Back)

I agree with bossnine. This is the GBBD option ...... the Go Back to Bloody Dealer option.

There's now way that getting into reverse gear needs to be that hard, and if it is, the chances are that the shift-cable socket will eventually pop off the ball joint on that particular selector lever (on the gearbox housing).

I believe the 997 are using the Japanese gear box. for most of the Japanese gear box, they will work better into reverse gear when you first put in the second gear then try to put into reverse. Try that and see what happen. Good luck.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    I believe the 997 are using the Japanese gear box. for most of the Japanese gear box, they will work better into reverse gear when you first put in the second gear then try to put into reverse. Try that and see what happen. Good luck.

That's an old trick people used to use when stickshifts had non-synchronized reverse and first gears.

Ah, nostalgia!

do not try to put it fast, it wont work most of the time...
    complete your hand movement at one time(far to the left,then forward) i ,while being smooth...

my dads 997S (05) does this from time to time... when it happens to me i try reverse like 500 times... haha i usually just shut the car off then turn it back on and it works right after... very weird

Yea, I had the same problem and my dealer fixed it. They already had a factory instruction for what to adjust (the linkage).

I found that it happens when it is hot outside. My car was stuck in a mall parking lot and had to ask for help to push backward to get out of the spot. Was very embarrassing.

I agree that P- should fix such a trivial matter by now. But hey, for them it is not critical enough, if you can take the car to dealer for fix.

That worked well!!! Went for a spin and did not get the problem at all today although I think I drove long enough to get the engine as hot as the last time I went out.

Thank you all for the great advice! I feel much better now!!!

69bossnine, you were absolutely correct! The reverse problem got worse to the point where it does not get into reverse most of the time now. It has become a real risk to take the car out. So, I made an appointment for next week to have the dealer fix it. I hope the adjustment will be as simple as it was for yours.

took delivery of my MY06 997S 1 week ago and I have the SS option and no problems with shifting or reverse.

I don't have the SS option. The other day, I ended up pulling the car into its parking spot! It simply would not go into reverse. Very embarassing!
    I will let you know what happens after the dealer looks at it next week.

Sorry to hear it finally "bit" you, but I'm surprised you went this long before it finally refused. It's a simple fix for them. If you had an appointment, you could probably wait. Once done, reverse glides in and out. When my car wouldn't go into reverse, it was flat locked-out. When I brought it back to the dealer, they rolled their eyes, and jumped in with the "this guy just isn't doing it right". After 30 seconds and a red face, he emerged from the car.."damn, it WON'T go into reverse, let me call in to see if there are any bulletins on this!!" LOL!!!!

Quote:
    gmp said:

You should not have ANY problems.
    Tell him to adjust the reverse gear cable until it's perfect .

69bossnine, I will probably get the same treatment when I get to my appointment next week!
    Btw, I just came back from a quick spin and it would not reverse... I am not touching it till I take it in for service...

JCS, thanks! I will make sure to tell them. I don't want the car back till it's fixed.

Re: Reverse curse revisited.... now fixed!!!

Took the car in early this morning and got it back from dealer in the afternoon. They did a fine job (fast and courteous service). The best news, I can shift the car in reverse again!!! Very easy now... It seems that the shifter cable ends needed adjustments. Just what you guys & girls told me! Thanks for the advice!

They fixed a few other things while they were at it:
    - Sunroof had a bad rattle. They had to re-install the headliner assembly
    - they also did the exhaust tailpipes recall
    - I use to hear some noise from the rear on uneven roads. They removed and re-installed the rear bumber cover, secured the rear spoiler heat shields. Don't know which one did it, but I don't hear any noise at all now. The car feels very solid!

One more thing... they also did a software recall (the work order says "W610") that showed up in their computer.

Anyway, it's just a few hours since i got the car back, but I had a chance to put a few miles on NY's bumpy roads and not a single bad noise from anywhere! Things are looking very good thus far! I am happy again...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766151 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437606 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258389 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5339 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810209 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM