Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Meteor vs. Slate vs. (old) Seal Grey

If anyone can detail the differences I'd really appreciate it (along w/ opinions). I get (I think) that Slate is darker and browner then Meteor. But anything else (particularly how Meteor compares to the old Seal Grey) would be really appreciated.

I'm considering:
    - Meteor with Cocoa Interior
    - Slate with either Natural Brown or Cocoa Inteior

Thanks!

Re: Meteor vs. Slate vs. (old) Seal Grey

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    If anyone can detail the differences I'd really appreciate it (along w/ opinions). I get (I think) that Slate is darker and browner then Meteor. But anything else (particularly how Meteor compares to the old Seal Grey) would be really appreciated.

I'm considering:
    - Meteor with Cocoa Interior
    - Slate with either Natural Brown or Cocoa Inteior

Thanks!

From my experience, I'd advice you to go see the colors "in the metal" yourself.

when I saw a grey 997TT at the dealer, I thought it was meteor but it was slate. Trust me, it gets really confusing because it also depends if the car is inside or of the sun hits it. In addition to that, pics don't do justice to the color. It depends on the camera, the light, if it's sunny out there or not, ...

You have to see the car to make the right choice. Good luck

I think the slate has a brown tint, not a lot, just a dusting of brown. But again, need to see it yourself.

I know you're all trying to help, but this is turning into a pet peeve of mine. It's very hard to see these in person. I've been to my dealer (a pretty large one) a bunch of times over months, but they don't get every exterior, let alone interior/exterior combo. And although people say they've seen it, Meteor isn't even out yet!

So, while I will try very hard to see for myself, I post here precisely to get opinions from others who may have seen first hand what I only have seen in hard to compare digital shots and Porsche color charts!

I can't even get anyone to tell me what the difference is between the (new) Meteor and the (old) Seal Grey. I would love to see side by side for myself, can anyone arrange that within 50 miles of my house?

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    I know you're all trying to help, but this is turning into a pet peeve of mine. It's very hard to see these in person. I've been to my dealer (a pretty large one) a bunch of times over months, but they don't get every exterior, let alone interior/exterior combo. And although people say they've seen it, Meteor isn't even out yet!

So, while I will try very hard to see for myself, I post here precisely to get opinions from others who may have seen first hand what I only have seen in hard to compare digital shots and Porsche color charts!

I can't even get anyone to tell me what the difference is between the (new) Meteor and the (old) Seal Grey. I would love to see side by side for myself, can anyone arrange that within 50 miles of my house?

I did try to explain you the best I can in another thread
    (back to the present report).

Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    thegratingone said:

I did try to explain you the best I can in another thread
    (back to the present report).

Yes, I did appreciate that, thank you. But, I went back and read that and I think I see my confusion. You keep referring to Seal Grey as browner, and more expensive than Meteor Grey. I think you're thinking of Slate Grey as Seal Grey isn't even offered anymore. I agree with your assessment of State vs. Meteor (just from pictures) 100%.

But, seeing as I have seen Seal Grey (the old color) many times live, but have not seen Meteor, and they seem pretty close, anyone who's seen both who could give me some guidance as to how they differ would be really great!

If I'm not understanding right I apologize.

At the Geneva show this spring, I compared a Meteor grey chit with a seal grey car on the floor. They are very similar, but seal has a bit more blue in it. It is clearly lighter than slate, and has less brown and black in it. I doubt anyone on the street (or Porsche enthusiasts for that matter) can tell the difference between seal and meteor.

If you order meteor, you will be pleased. Think of it as lighter than slate, and less blue than seal.

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    At the Geneva show this spring, I compared a Meteor grey chit with a seal grey car on the floor. They are very similar, but seal has a bit more blue in it. It is clearly lighter than slate, and has less brown and black in it. I doubt anyone on the street (or Porsche enthusiasts for that matter) can tell the difference between seal and meteor.

If you order meteor, you will be pleased. Think of it as lighter than slate, and less blue than seal.

Very helpful. Esp. the blue comment, that makes sense (now that you tell me!). Thanks.

Two quick follow-ups (feel free to ignore)

1) Is Meteor so light you'd call it Silver?

2) What do you think of Meteor with a Cocoa interior?

Thanks a lot.

The meteor has too much green in it for me!

the dealer should have samples.

Meteor is definitely not silver. It is a medium grey, very close to seal.

I think meteor and cocoa would be knockout. The car (a C4S cab) displayed by Porsche at Geneva was seal and cocoa, and very handsome.

I also have a friend who just ordered a slate with natural brown 997TT--terrific color combination as well. I personally think cocoa is a bit more attractive than the natural brown.

I compared 8 x 10 sample sheets at the dealer with actual cars on the lot to see what Meteor would be like. Since there are no cars in NA with Meteor, this is about the best we can do. The Meteor is very similar IMO to seal, just a bit darker. Slate is darker still, and has the brown tint. I have ordered slate and I went with black int (classic, if not boring). I was thinking about cocoa, but the grain looks almost painted on, a little too contrived, but I think the color itself is great. About the only combo that doesn't go well is speed yellow with terracotta.

Hope nobody ordered that one

Damn, I ordered Speed Yellow with Terracotta, but hopefully it will be saved by the yellow seat belts...

Seriously, I think I'm going for the meteor / cocoa, your car sounds beautiful though. My good friend is getting slate / natural brown or I'd be tempted to get it too (we'd just look silly as we park next to each other...).

Speed yellow and terracotta? Are you sure about comitting to that one? Re-sale is going to be horrific first off and well not to be rude but it doesnt sound attratcive at all ?

Read the rest of the trade, I was kidding.

Grating

I think Meteor and cocoa will look great. My initial order was for this combo. You obviously have very good taste.
    BTW, do you have anything to do with cheese?

Who cut the cheese??

Quote:
    KJB said:
    Grating

I think Meteor and cocoa will look great. My initial order was for this combo. You obviously have very good taste.
    BTW, do you have anything to do with cheese?

I'm a hockey fan and needed a name for a hockey message board. "Thegratingone" is a play on Gretzy's "The Great One" and it refers to grating a la "annoying" not cheese.

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    If anyone can detail the differences I'd really appreciate it (along w/ opinions). I get (I think) that Slate is darker and browner then Meteor.

Here is a picture taken by a friend on another forum. The car is seal grey, the sheet is meteor.

Nico997,

Your pic is exactly as I remember the comparison I did. It's good that at least you have photos.

thegratingone,

Good one! Not much of a hockey fan here, but I can see what you mean. Keep us posted with pics of your speed yellow/terracotta 997 (or that other combo you're considering)when you get it

thegratingone,

I have Slate/Cocoa. The colors go together perfectly. There is a slight brown tint in Slate. I get tons of compliments. I think Meteor would also look good with Cocoa but I don't think Seal would. Seal has a little blue that, in my opinion, would not go with brown. I would definitely recommend Cocoa over black though. Cocoa is one of my favorite features in my car. It looks very deep and rich. Consider this, when choosing black over brown. Out of all the interior colors that Porsche offers, Cocoa is in the 997 brochure more than any other color. It was also in the special edition boxster a few years back. Brown (not Cocoa) was the color of the interior of the launch Carrera GT's and Ausin Martin DB9's and/or AM8's.

Quote:
    QuickSix said:
    thegratingone,

I have Slate/Cocoa. .

Pictures?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689633 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409285 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255774 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235006 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65531 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858043 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774086 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM