Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rolls Royce Corniche.....(drooling)

Alright guys, these are some spy pics of the new Rolls Corniche (convertible and coupe version of the phantom). It still has the suicide doors (WHICH IS SICK). It sports led headlights but still has the xenon projects below them just like the Phantom does. It has an A-pillar support ... I don't like that, but I guess it is needed b/c the car is still heavy as hell.

Anyway, this would be the car for the guy that thinks a bentley drop top is just to ordinary. I am so down with this car.

Re: Rolls Royce Corniche.....(drooling)

I like it.

It looks righteous and will be priced accordingly Im sure.

I never liked Rolls. But this time, they went nuts.

That car is gonna be in all rappers' clips in the next few months.

Am I the only one who thinks that when VW and BMW split up the Rolls Royce and Bentley marques, Bentley turned right and has not looked back since then, whilst Rolls Royce turned left and immediately got lost?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Am I the only one who thinks that when VW and BMW split up the Rolls Royce and Bentley marques, Bentley turned right and has not looked back since then, whilst Rolls Royce turned left and immediately got lost?

RR seemingly went more for the rapper wannabe crowd than did Bentley....but my sense is both RR/B have underwhelming sales and are on a downward sales trajectory, despite the enormous wealth creation of past 7 yrs....

Prob a strategically weak game to market "fashion-centric" $150K+ cars, since most guys who can afford $150K+ cars aren't into either "fashion" or "advertising"...ironically, even most of the "suits" (and capitalist-owners) in the media/entertainment business tend to drive 2-3 yo, dusty blk/silver SL/S/CL's; live in modest houses in sleepy, low-profile Brentwood/Palisades; and wear cheap, off-the-rack suits from NeimanBH...but their lifestyles prob wouldn't be very appealing as part of a rap video/lifestyles of the supposedly rich and/or famous video....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

RR seemingly went more for the rapper wannabe crowd than did Bentley....but my sense is both RR/B have underwhelming sales and are on a downward sales trajectory, despite the enormous wealth creation of past 7 yrs....

Prob a strategically weak game to market "fashion-centric" $150K+ cars, since most guys who can afford $150K+ cars aren't into either "fashion" or "advertising"...ironically, even most of the "suits" (and capitalist-owners) in the media/entertainment business tend to drive 2-3 yo, dusty blk/silver SL/S/CL's; live in modest houses in sleepy, low-profile Brentwood/Palisades; and wear cheap, off-the-rack suits from NeimanBH...but their lifestyles prob wouldn't be very appealing as part of a rap video/lifestyles of the supposedly rich and/or famous video....

So just how big is the combined rapper plus rapper wannabe market?

Seems to me the new generation of Bentleys have some intrinsic value if just measured purely as automobiles, whilst the current Rolls Royce and Maybach models are totally dependant on being perceived as being a hip fashion item to sell at all. Which would mean that if they are perceived to fall out of favor among the fickle butterflies who think of themselves as trend-setters, then ........................

PS: It is only remotely relatred to the above, but ..........

A few weeks ago I passed a Maybach limo on a few occasions which had street-parked overnight in a "non-affluent" area. Since it was in the area of the Daimler Chrysler factory, I guessed an employee had got to drive a company car home a few times, since nobody else around here seems to be buying the darn thing.

Anyway, long story short, I caught myself thinking on a couple of occasions on seeing the chrome radiator grill that I was approaching some new Kia or Hyundai model which I was not familiar with. Don't think that that was the kind of perception that DC was hoping for .

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    ..but my sense is both RR/B have underwhelming sales and are on a downward sales trajectory, despite the enormous wealth creation of past 7 yrs....

My comment doesn't cover the USA, but I had lunch with the CEO of Rolls Royce & Bentley's official importer on Friday, they imported and sold only 98 cars in 1998.

Last year they sold 496 - only because they couldn't meet the demand!

Since the Continental GT has been introduced a whole new crowd has shown interest in Bentley and sales have soured globally for that particular model.

Maybe its not had such a good impact in more important markets like the UK & USA.

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    My comment doesn't cover the USA, but I had lunch with the CEO of Rolls Royce & Bentley's official importer on Friday, they imported and sold only 98 cars in 1998.

Since the Continental GT has been introduced a whole new crowd has shown interest in Bentley and sales have soured globally for that particular model.

Maybe its not had such a good impact in more important markets like the UK & USA.

You say "Rolls Royce and Bentley's importer" but then refer only to the (Bentley) Continental GT model.

Since the two formerly "badge engineered" marques have now been split between two separate companies, VW and BMW, their sales would now also have to be looked at separately.

What did the importer say about sales of the Rolls Royce branded cars?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

So just how big is the combined rapper plus rapper wannabe market?

Seems to me the new generation of Bentleys have some intrinsic value if just measured purely as automobiles, whilst the current Rolls Royce and Maybach models are totally dependant on being perceived as being a hip fashion item to sell at all. Which would mean that if they are perceived to fall out of favor among the fickle butterflies who think of themselves as trend-setters, then ........................

PS: It is only remotely relatred to the above, but ..........

A few weeks ago I passed a Maybach limo on a few occasions which had street-parked overnight in a "non-affluent" area. Since it was in the area of the Daimler Chrysler factory, I guessed an employee had got to drive a company car home a few times, since nobody else around here seems to be buying the darn thing.

Anyway, long story short, I caught myself thinking on a couple of occasions on seeing the chrome radiator grill that I was approaching some new Kia or Hyundai model which I was not familiar with. Don't think that that was the kind of perception that DC was hoping for .

Rapper and rapper wannabe mkt is clearly not large enough....and given their fashion sense/nonsense, their "tastes" tend to change faster than any mfr can accommodate to stay in vogue/favor...esp difficult for "new" brands like RR/Lambo/B, etc in trying to incr mkt share in US is that arguably more "mainstream" super-affluent in US (the vast bulk of the potential buyer base) tend to be car-disinterested guys....loyal Merc buyers, w/F for wkends if they even care for some semblance of a sportscar....or if their kids pester them enough to get one...

Know a few affluent guys who got a B CGT for commuting, simply b/c they became bored of owning 3-4 (or more) different copies of the same-CL/SL55 body&tech platform over past 5-7 yrs....needless to say, know many guys eagerly awaiting getting back into a new, latest-tech CL63/SL63 after the brief fling w/B...

Maybach was a disaster from get-go in US ....reality is only city in US where affluent are routinely driven via limo is Manhattan....which is dominated by financial guys, who tend to be low-profile and prefer a nondescript, blk S-Class and driver to follow them around Manhattan...and take them to heliport or to private air fields in NJ/Westchester to leave NYC...they tend not to favor advertising who they are, b/c everyone at their offices/favored restaurants, bars and clubs/private air field, etc already knows who they are and roughly what their net worth is....ironically, Maybachs/RR/B tend to connotate guys who may/may not have any real net worth, but who want general public to believe they are important/super-affluent/famous....and a large fraction of the other May/RR/B were loaned/leased at cheap rates to various high-end hotels around coastal US as "house" limos for guests

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    ..but my sense is both RR/B have underwhelming sales and are on a downward sales trajectory, despite the enormous wealth creation of past 7 yrs....

Analyzing high-end car sales and marketing strategies isn't easy....most high-end custs have zero interest in participating in silly surveys/focus groups...and most marketing guys at mfrs are clueless re: why affluent guys buy certain cars/what price is their psychologic upper lim, etc...

Need to look at a few parameters of any mfr's sales data....sales vols and growth/decline over last 3 yrs; avg selling price of car; in which mkts cars are ultimately being bought; demographics of typical buyer (age, industry, net worth, etc); characteristics/no. of repeat buyers, etc etc....

Suspect little reliable hard data exists, as most high-end buyers don't have conventional paychks and have no need/desire to disclose precise financial data....and mfrs tend to sugar-coat/camouflage sales data for various obvious reasons....

Would guess that US buys 60%+ of world's $150K+ cars; 75% of those US sales occur in SF/NYC/LA mkts; and prob 60%+ of the serial/repeat buyers for these cars live in SF/NYC regions....and, anecdotally, know more guys who routinely get a new CL/SL and F every 12-18 mos than any other car combo out there....MB/F seem to have a duopoly on high-end US custs that every other mfr seeks to grab a piece of....

Just know too many wannabe higher-end mfrs that bungle the simple, real-world stuff....like P's CGT, perhaps a brilliant car from an engineering/track-driving standpoint (though the real-world-incompatible ground clearance begs the question whether CGT is "cheating" to try to compare vs other street cars...or should it be compared to FXX ), but a marketing disaster....w/ground clearance that is worse than any F, incl Enzo, for real-world SF/Greenwich, where guys want to be able to occasionally drive their sportscars to office and not have to rem which gas station/office garage driveway the damn car can successfully navigate.....

so, in your mind a person driving a mercedes may be a rich as hell person, and the person driving or riding in a rolls or something is a person trying to keep up image? I'm missing this.

I have seen a bunch of rolls' in my time and the rest. I have only seen two wanna be rappers EVER in a rolls or a bentley. One was 50 cent when he was in philadelphia, the other was Allen Iverson (who drives his rolls royce with 23 inch rims).

I think I saw Bernard Hopkins, who was given his Bentley by HBO when he wonn the world championship.

Other than that- they are pretty far and few between. Additionally- I HAVE ONLY seen one being driven by an ACTUAL driver opposed to the person who owns it (usually in a business suit) driving it to work--- which is kinda low class to me.

S classes are alright, but they are boring.... If a person can plunk down the cost of an S classs and then some- he or she can have a bentley.... nothing wrong with that.

The same goes for other cars. Why drive a 180k mercedes when you can pay about 70k more and buy a ferrari!? if someone can afford a 180k car- they can surely scrape together enough pennies to get a 250k car.

Additionally, call it what you will- rap didn't affect how rolls designed its car- a different market place did. Additionally- bentley realized that it needed to diversify as well. The CGT is a hit... and it is CRAZY cheap. If a person can get a S600-they can surely buy a continental. Who doesn't like that?

I like the way things are going ... I would love to see how rolls does its thing with Bentley... b/c they need to make a smaller car that comes in at around 160ish. For a car that starts at 350k.. the convertible I guess would probably cost 400k-450k. That's nuts.

...isn't it obvious?

VKSF drives a Mercedes.

I have no idea where he/she comes up with some of his/her "theories".

Simon Cowell seems to like his RR Phantom and so do some others in the entertainment, law and real estate in LA.

The top line BMW, Mercedes and Audis look sadly ordinairy when you see them all the time.

The Maybach looks too funereal. Even the back seats look odd - almost as if they were designed by a mortician.

The Rollers and Bentleys have a nice sense of occaision and are damned nice to ride in. The big V8 Bentleys and the new RR Phantom have a nice sense of luxury velvet covered steel fist aggressiveness behind the wheel that the other cars simply can't match. Go drive one and you will feel what I mean. They are truly special. Audi, BMW, MB are not.

Well Jim you can thank me for participating in the design studies for Bentley's Coupe.

You should have seen the early test versions.

Thanks So Cal

i like it!

I have no hard data to back it up, but I cannot help but think that rappers' "endorsements" actually hurt the brand (outside the LA market maybe). If I were a traditional Bentley / RR customer, I wouldn't want to be caught dead in the same car as 50cent's!

I really like the new Continental (in all forms), though. Fortunately, I cannot afford one - I'm quite happy 50cent thinks mere Audis and Porsches are not good enough for him!

The triangular A-pillars are needed if the single suicide doors are used.

IMHO, Bentley Cont GTs and Flying Spurs are just VW Phaetons with 'B' badging, whereas a Rolls Royce is still bespoke and has much more class.

Quote:
    shin said:
    IMHO, Bentley Cont GTs and Flying Spurs are just VW Phaetons with 'B' badging, whereas a Rolls Royce is still bespoke and has much more class.

Agreed

I'd still prefer the Phantom IMO

Quote:
    shin said:

Agreed as well. However, I'd still get a Flying Spur over an Arnage for that very reason (regardless of price). Robots do a much better work than mere mortals as far as build reliability, safety and handling are concerned. To me, the Continental GT/GTC/FS offer the right compromise between industrial precision and hand-built soul.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    shin said:

Agreed as well. However, I'd still get a Flying Spur over an Arnage for that very reason (regardless of price). Robots do a much better work than mere mortals as far as build reliability, safety and handling are concerned. To me, the Continental GT/GTC/FS offer the right compromise between industrial precision and hand-built soul.

That is what I like about the Arnage. I specifically took the Arnage over the GT etc. because it doesn't have this mass produced pumped out feel. There is no other car luxury sedan on the market today that has this very feel which the Arnage has.

Tell me what is wrong with this handbuilt quality?

I just came back from London and was frankly amazed with the number of Bentley GT's running around. I would see at least a dozen a day. I was staying in South Kensington, so if there's anywhere you would see a lot of nice cars running around it's there, but still!! A lot of people in England tend to think of the GT as a "chav" car owned by footballers and wannabies. Having driven in a GT and a Contential T there is no comparison, the Contential is a bespoke car, the GT is just a nice mass produced auto. The RR is still over the same caliber (if not higher) than it always has been.

The Flying Spur unfortunately came out all wrong. Very ugly car indeed. The GT is a nice car however it does no longer appeal to me as much as it used too.

The Arnage and the Azure are the best of what Bentley has to offer hence the price difference with the other bentley models

However the RR Phantom is the my favourite car on the market. Yet it is only practical in cities such as NY or London.

Disclaimer: The latter notions are soley based on my preferences.

Quote:
    Mike S said:

I agree it's gorgeous, but the driving dynamics aren't that great, are they? Would you trust a British worker with your life?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

I agree it's gorgeous, but the driving dynamics aren't that great, are they? Would you trust a British worker with your life?

Good point, Groom. If you had to have an auto upholsterer perform open-heart surgery on you, which would be your preferred nationality?

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

Yes, the driving feel does feel very indirect and distant, but for daily beating it is great, you never feel tired.

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    I just came back from London and was frankly amazed with the number of Bentley GT's running around. I would see at least a dozen a day. I was staying in South Kensington, so if there's anywhere you would see a lot of nice cars running around it's there, but still!! A lot of people in England tend to think of the GT as a "chav" car owned by footballers and wannabies. Having driven in a GT and a Contential T there is no comparison, the Contential is a bespoke car, the GT is just a nice mass produced auto. The RR is still over the same caliber (if not higher) than it always has been.

When I spent a day in Bev Hills last year I was amazed at the number of B CGTs running around. They're a beautiful car and they found the right niche in the market. I think the larger ones are disgusting!

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753477 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430915 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255533 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868482 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802122 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM