Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Break in procedure

I am picking up my first porsche on monday, what is the break in procedure?

Re: Break in procedure

Drive it normally and keep it under 5k rmp. Most importantly, enjoy the ride

for how long? my m3 was 1200 hundred+

US manuals say "under 4500 RPM for 2,000 miles". That will be extremely difficult to do...

Search for "break-in procedure", et al on this board and on rennlist.com; there are hundreds if not thousands of messages regarding this procedure. Unfortunately, all that they will do is confuse you, Omeko.

My procedure looked like this:

First 600 miles - under 5000 rpm, vary the load and rpm(don't set the cruise), ALWAYS get the oil temp up to operating range before you "get on it". I was lucky to have a 600 mile drive home from the dealer, so that made it easy.

Next 600 miles - under 5000, but occasional excursions to 6000 ONLY after oil was above 210 degrees F.

From 1200 to 1800 - I can't lie, I hit the fuel cutoff a few times. <g>

After 1800 - 7300 RPM whenever it's possible. Total oil consumption so far - 1 litre added at 1800 miles, now at 2300 and the oil bar hasn't moved.

Stable oil temp is critical to ensure that all moving parts are at equal temps. This is probably the most important thing to remember. Also, if you can - get the oil up to operating temp EVERY time you take the car out - this will help minimize condensation and keep the volatiles out of the oil bath.

Just MHO, Omeko. Good luck to you! Enjoy the car - I know you will...
    -don

2,000 miles.

First 1000km - rpms <5000
    After 1001km - drove it "like I stole it", tracking, red-lining, autobahn at top speed but must ensure that engine reaches optimum temperature before stepping on it.
    Now about 8000km mileage, no RMS issues, no loss of engine oil, no problems with the engine whatsoever.
    Take care

U.S. manuals suggest keeping the revs below 4200 rpms for 2k and no full throttle applications. Drive at low revs until the oil warms to a min. of 180 degrees F.
    I would add, that I'd vary engine speed over the break-in as well. After a spirited effort, let her catch a lot of cooling air, driving moderately. (the hot/cool cycling adds to a tight seal; imo)
    Lastlty, many others suggest higher rpm limits. Not to discredit anyone, but how do these people come to these arbitrary numbers? Many validate their opinions because they haven't had any engine related issues, etc... This data is unreliable (IMO) because many do not own their cars long enough to realize some of the likely ramifications of an improperly broke-in engine.
    You can't go wrong with the manual. Your car will be every bit as fast and may just be a little more reliable over the long haul.

2000 seems a little excessive though

Maybe, who's to say. Show me some irrefuttable data and I'll listen.

Quote:
    devo said:

There is no such thing as irrefutable data on break-in procedures and their consequences, which is why the subject gets hung out to dry on the forum every few weeks.

I have heard so many things about break ins, some say run it hard right fromt he dealership to break it in better, some say be very gentle

No kidding. That's why I recommended the manual. Try reading the prior thread first. (It illiminates the "some say" examples.)

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

There is no such thing as irrefutable data on break-in procedures and their consequences, which is why the subject gets hung out to dry on the forum every few weeks.

It gets hung out to dry because members banter excessively over it when: they lack irrefutable data to support their claim.

Quote:
    devo said:
    they lack irrefutable data to support their claim.

What data are you refering to? Why does anyone even bother? There is no data presented, no need to get too scientific about everything. Postings from members are simply sharing personal practical experiences on the board about their driving/ownership habits. It is upto the reader to ingest the information and make a decision himself.
    FWIW, the manual does not produce any irrefutable data or their consequences too.
    Driving a car is to get maximum enjoyment during its ownership timespan, drive it anyway you choose too and enjoy it.

Quote:
    omeko3 said:
    I have heard so many things about break ins, some say run it hard right fromt he dealership to break it in better, some say be very gentle

Here's a link for you on Break-in secrets:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Irregardless of its presented 'facts', data recorded could always be refuted subject to different conditions or scientific methods.
    Caveat emptor

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    omeko3 said:

Irregardless of its presented 'facts', data recorded could always be refuted subject to different conditions or scientific methods.
    Caveat emptor

How about data supported by means other than some members arbitrarily speculating rpm ranges.
    Maybe irrefutable was too severe of a word, but you get what I'm attepting to convey. The manual is likely supported by the engineers that design the cars. It's a better option than listening to a dealer, or anyone who guesses at break in.
    Anyone with an opinion supported by anything other than speculation would be a consideration for me.

Do you mind showing us your Data since you are so 'religious' about it?

An opinion is simply an opinion, only motives are for members to share experience ....the subject will still "gets hung out to dry on the forum every few weeks" -fritz
    JMHO

A buddy of mine told me that there is an article in the latest Auto Week magazine about this very subject,--vis-a-vis the 997. Apparently the "breakin" period is more for the DRIVER than for the car. While the manual states <4200 for 2000 miles, my Porsche customer representative at Zuffenhausen told me just to keep it under 5000 rpm for a couple thousand klicks. I personally kept it down according to his guidance because I haven't driven over 120 mph for several years. I wanted to warm up to it gently. Apparently Porsche knows that the engines are "good to go" from the git-go. Just follow some conservative judgement,--let it warm up adequately before you go for it. Once I felt more tuned to the car I went north of 150 mph routinely. Dan

Dan L, agree 100%

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Apparently the "breakin" period is more for the DRIVER than for the car.

I concur with this statement 200%

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Do you mind showing us your Data since you are so 'religious' about it?

An opinion is simply an opinion, only motives are for members to share experience ....the subject will still "gets hung out to dry on the forum every few weeks" -fritz
    JMHO

Uhm...the manual, nothing more. I think I've said that a few times. You act as though I'm personally attacking you. I'm not, just tell or show me something with some reason to believe it and I very well might.
    For example, the post by Dan L, has some substance. If someone from Porsche made this statement, I'll believe it.
    I've never said that I had any data other than the manual.
    Thanks for the insight Dan. Sorry Avantgarde, if I somehow offended you and/or your pride.

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    omeko3 said:

Caveat emptor

This is the exact website I saw the break in procedure and is the one that makes the most since to me. I have had many friends who raced remote control cars with gas engines and they broke them in using this method.

I drove my '05 up to and under 4000 RPM for the first 4000 miles, 90% highway, rarely over 80 mph, and mostly at or below 70 mph. Between 4000 miles and a current milage of 4,900, I have pushed it to 6000 rpm only a few times. Also, I always drive moderately for the first 15 - 20 min. for fluids to reach a stabilized temperature. I have changed the oil & filer only once, at about 900 miles, and have not added a drop of oil since. Car runs smoothly and beautifully.

Quote:
    paulg1 said:
    I drove my '05 up to and under 4000 RPM for the first 4000 miles, 90% highway, rarely over 80 mph, and mostly at or below 70 mph. Between 4000 miles and a current milage of 4,900, I have pushed it to 6000 rpm only a few times. Also, I always drive moderately for the first 15 - 20 min. for fluids to reach a stabilized temperature. I have changed the oil & filer only once, at about 900 miles, and have not added a drop of oil since. Car runs smoothly and beautifully.

She's made to run harder than that. There's a rumour that an engine's not completely broke in until she's been run full throttle to redline. That engine is made for redline.

I thrashed mine from new as I did with my last Porsche. My 997 is a great example and quicker than other examples I come across. My old boxster was as quick as a boxster S! I used to be an engine builder too and I believe in running them in hard. You MUST however let the fluids get up to operating temp before going over 4000 revs.

Quote:
    boxsterboy said:
    I thrashed mine from new as I did with my last Porsche. My 997 is a great example and quicker than other examples I come across. My old boxster was as quick as a boxster S! I used to be an engine builder too and I believe in running them in hard. You MUST however let the fluids get up to operating temp before going over 4000 revs.

Sounds like you know what you're doing

I think the reason most of us ignore the manual is due to it's being so overboard. If it was really that damn vital, Porsche would install rev limiters on the dealer's test and program vehicles. They don't. Draw your own conclusions. Besides, I doubt anybody here will own their car long enough to ever realize any potential ill-effects that an abusive break-in may or may-not cause. The risks are long-term, 100,000 miles and up. Durability. They are not catastrophic to the engine in the short-term.

Porsche probably doesn't feel the NEED to explain their reasonings and science behind their break-in periods. They just publish what they want, where they want (it's not the same in all countries/regions), and let the lemmings do their thing, and the hotfoots will do their thing, and at the end of the day, they hope the products wear well overall in order to buoy their reputation and limit warranty exposure.

Funny, still, how worked up some get on this issue. I guess I used to get worked up to, but it's too tired of a subject to get excited about anymore. I've ranted all I can rant (an applause erupts around the globe)...

Maybe I'll have to spool up those VTG turbos a little

I have never done a breakin period on any of my cars. Once they warm up, I drive them any way I want.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753207 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430778 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79530 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868365 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801944 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM