I know that when doing a tourist delivery you must pay a substantial VAT tax that is later refunded when you export the car and if you do not export the car you loose the VAT. There is a good chance I may move to Germany (or somewhere in europe) permenently perhaps as early as this summer and therefore I'm going to want my car! As I understand it the car must be sent back to the united states and held there for 6 months or a year (can anyone confirm how long it is for sure?) before it can be shipped back to Europe. Are there any options at all for getting my car back to Europe or somehow keeping it there short of canceling the order and reordering through a European dealer (which I do NOT want to do)? Does anyone know how large the penalty is if you do not export the car? What about the possilibity of getting a credit for shipping from Porsche if the car were kept in Europe for applying toward the penalty, is it the entire VAT tax? I know they will give you a ~$700 credit if you pick your car up at the shipping port back in the US rather than having it sent by truck to your local dealer.

Bottom line is I think there's a good chance I'm staying in Germany and while I could live with waiting 6 months to get my car back a year is just way too much. Any ideas (even if speculation) on creative options would be greatly appreciated...

Someone on another board mentioned something about exporting it Switzerland or Monaco but they weren't sure of all the implications...

The official line from Porsche is of course I must send it back to the US or I'm screwed.

Also on a completely different note is there any way at all to insure yourself for Nring driving?