Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car bra

My turbo has arrived, so I've ordered another Speed Lingerie bra. Great product. The bra for my 997S is available: it's artic silver. I've previously posted pics. Excellent color match, guaranteed not to flap to 150 mph, tight fit and barely noticable from a short distance. Nothing but compliments.
    PM me if interested.

Re: Car bra

why dont you do clear bra, its easier, but I dont know what the speed lingerie bra is.....pics again?...maybe ;-)

Haven't found an adequate installer in my area. The bra looks very nice; not your typical black one. Very classy.

I went with a simple (and inexpensive) Colgan. I don't know what it was guaranteed to but I saw the north side of 160 mph with it without any issues.

Dam

It sounds like you got a good bra that secures well to the car and can take high speeds.

I went with the 3M clear coat bra - a dealer installed option. I probably overpaid (about $1,000), but it paid for itself on the way home the day I took delivery, as the nose got hit by several stones.

Jim

Mine was about $100.

dan

No bra, or I like the clear bras
    No clear bra, or any bra protection in Cali and your front end will be a DISASTER in no time...Freeway driving, things are a flyin!!I didnt put one on my Boxster and in 5 years it took a beating. Had the clear bra put on the 997, protects great.I also bought a custom Colgan bra, but had to put it in the sun before trying to stretch it on there..Uugghh, I dont want to break a nail. Got a full clear bra kit, gas tank, doors, etc for $795...

I'd consider a clear bra under that to protect the paint from chaffing at the contact points. But then, if you have a clear bra, why more?

Vincenzina, where did you get yourclear bra kit?

Got Colgan nose bra for 993 TT few days ago 109 us$ + shipping. It fits well but will postpone first test when winter comes.

Brgds
    SM

Clear Armour..Redwood City..ask for Craig
    I DONT use the Colgan bra with the Clear bra..
    I just meant I bought a Colgan then decided forget it...
    I will get the whole clear bra kit.
    I hated putting the Colgan on after only 1 time

Traditional bras are a PITA, and with the exception of the very HIGH dollar ones (such as speed lingerie), abrasives (dust & dirt) find their way underneath the bra, especially at the edges, and chafing damage begins. The only way to avoid that is to take it off very frequently to clean the bra and the paint, and then re-install, which is just an absolute pain. I've also seen funky things happen to the paint if moisture (rain) gets under the bra, and then cooks in the hot sun. Small blistering, discoloration/milky-ness in the paint, etc... But it's not a univeral thing, depends on the type of paint and prep on the car.

I love my clear bra. No worries, virtually invisible, and heck, mine only cost $600 bucks installed.

I love my clear bra as well, hardly notice it from a distance. Paid $750, but the real trick is to find an installer who does quality work. I've seen some hideous installations.

I'm lucky to live where it isn't permitted to rain between May and October, so moisture under the bra isn't going to happen,--and I simply run the bra through the washer whenever I wash the car,--just to take off some of the dust.

dan

Get the clear bra. You wont regret it. If you can make it to the Queens/Long Island border, try Detailing Dynamics (http://www.detailingdynamics.com/). They did my car and I am a very happy customer! They are excellent!
    The only thing, you need to get on their calendar for an appointment. This could take a few weeks... So, put on your Colgan bra till you can get the clear bra installed.

Quote:
    gmp said:
    Get the clear bra. You wont regret it. If you can make it to the Queens/Long Island border, try Detailing Dynamics (http://www.detailingdynamics.com/). They did my car and I am a very happy customer! They are excellent!
    The only thing, you need to get on their calendar for an appointment. This could take a few weeks... So, put on your Colgan bra till you can get the clear bra installed.

Stradale also has had great things to say about them. I'm having my 997 turbo done in three weeks. I went for the complete package: 7/8ths of the hood, front facia, wheel aches, behind the wheels, rockers, sills, lights, etc...
    They remove the headlights, markers, etc... and do a seamless job.

Speaking of hideous installations. Should I expect to have small pin-head sized air bubbles beneath the 3M material? There aren't many, but they're still annoying me. My dealer says that once the black paint heats up in the midday sun the tiny bubbles should "disappear". Anyone have any thoughts about this?

YES, you have to allow the clear bra to "cook" out in the sun, at least for one full afternoon, THEN make your critique..

Ok. I guess I'll let her sit in the sun all afternoon tomorrow (90 degrees forcasted) and see if the bubbles disappear. It'll be hard to watch as my black paint and bi-color (blk/bge) interior bake in the sun, so I'll probably leave the house and return after sunset. Hope this works . . .

Thanks 69bossnine for reeling me in.

Small air/water bubbles should disappear/evaperate within a week or so. If they don't, most like it won't goes away.

There is a 30 day curing period for the Clear Bra.

Vincenzina, you are correct. However, what I am saying is most of the air/water bubles should dry up winthin a week or so. If they don't, most like they will stay there. If the installation was done around Dec and the car keep in the garage during the curing period, it may take long for the air/water bubles to dry up. Otherwise, you should still look at around a week or so. Trust me I got thru 3 clear bra installation.

Got the car new less than a month ago. The clear bra was installed before delivery. The car is garage kept and not a daily driver. Very little exposure to the sun so far with only 700 "late afternoon" miles on the odometer. At the rate I'm going, it may take maore than a month. What troubles me most is, after taking a close look at the car yesterday, I noticed near dime-sized bubbles in the 3M material covering the door handle cups. I'm guessing that these are going nowhere any time soon and I will definitely need to have those areas redone -- and that sucks!

If the bubble is that for a month, it won't go anywhere. Most likely it is not air/water buble but is defective on the film. Have them redo the area but make sure when they remove the old film there is no paint come out with it due to the defective film. Good luck.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    Vincenzina, you are correct. However, what I am saying is most of the air/water bubles should dry up winthin a week or so. If they don't, most like they will stay there. If the installation was done around Dec and the car keep in the garage during the curing period, it may take long for the air/water bubles to dry up. Otherwise, you should still look at around a week or so. Trust me I got thru 3 clear bra installation.

I agree with that. I wasnt paying attention to how long you had the clear bra on!!

my experience has been that the installation quality of a clear bra application is improved if the area, where applied, has not been previously waxed/detailed etc.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    my experience has been that the installation quality of a clear bra application is improved if the area, where applied, has not been previously waxed/detailed etc.

True & if done right the installer will prep the area's so there is no wax etc. on the paint, it should be part of their process. 7 clear bra installations later from the same installer & I've yet to have a single bubble. And never had to wait for any curing period according to my installer. Next day drive the pants off.

STRADALE, the curing period is for you not to wash or wax the car. As for driving it, you can do that immediately. It will be much better for the film to dry if you can drive and keep the car under the sun for the first few days.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    STRADALE, the curing period is for you not to wash or wax the car. As for driving it, you can do that immediately. It will be much better for the film to dry if you can drive and keep the car under the sun for the first few days.

Gotcha, yeah that's true.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:

True & if done right the installer will prep the area's so there is no wax etc. on the paint, it should be part of their process. 7 clear bra installations later from the same installer & I've yet to have a single bubble. And never had to wait for any curing period according to my installer. Next day drive the pants off.

Stradale,

My tt has been waxed to get me through the wait. If the installer removes the wax, is it the same as if there had never been any wax?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754945 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431454 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258847 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255832 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79836 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868848 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802801 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM