Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

POLL: Rear parking sensors

The 997 has a perfect rear and some do not want it spoilt with 4 holes caused by sensors.

Did you order your car with a sensor and do you regret your decision?

Re: POLL: Rear parking sensors

I have the sensors on my others cars and love them. To me it is one of those things that once you have them you will want them. But everyone is different so its up to you.

On a large car, SUV or truck rear object sensors make sense. On small cars I don't see the need as its easier to know precisely where your vehicle is.

it's not that bad, I have them and I use them. Think about this, what's uglier: a cracked bumper or sensors.

I have them on my truck, my wife's SUV, and I find them irritating as hell, even on those larger tanks.

Maybe it's just practice from constantly parking and maneuvering our various shape and size collector cars in obscenely tight quarters for decades, but I always have a fairly accurate "feel" for where my corners and rear bumper are.

When the sensors start beeping, it's just a huge annoyance, as they start making their racket well before I'm in any peril, and I always immediately punch whatever button is necessary to shut them the hell up.

I've never, in 23 years of driving, EVER, tapped my rear bumper onto anything, and my wife can attest that I will cram a 60's luxo-barge into a spot the size of a postage stamp on a single swing.

When the sensors started showing up on larger vehicles, I considered them novel at first, and soon-after, just fingernails on a chalk board.

In my 997??? Shoot, it's just a little peanut!! It needs those sensors about as much as a motorcycle would, which is not at all. Set up some cones at home if you must, and learn your boundaries, and save the money and eyesore on your 997..

The parking sensors are very helpful for the valet parking guys not to damage your car. It does not matter how good you are. It's the other people who do not care about your car.

With the smaller rear window of the Cab I actually find them useful as it's not always easy to see what you're backing into. And in terms of cost it's a cheaper option that replacing the rear bumper cover and respraying it.

I have them and use them sometimes, but they are not a necessity. It is true a 997 is a small car. Once you get accustomed to it there is really no need and they do mess up the rear lines a little bit.

They look crummy on light-colored bumpers. Not too bad on darker colors. Still 69bossnine's got the right idea above. I would add unless you do ALOT of crowded urban parallel parking, they're not really that handy/necessary on our little sportscars.

I don't get the aesthetic problem at all. On Seal Gray they are all but invisible. And if you live in a city you parallel park everyday, albeit in giant spaces compared to our friends in Europe.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I don't get the aesthetic problem at all.

It's just more stuff stuck onto the car. The bumper looks nice and clean and uninterrupted and then all of a sudden you have these "rivets" distracting you from a nice clean sweep of what otherwise would be a pristine smooth volume/shape.

I find them very useful, especially when someone has parked in your courtyard without you noticing.

The warning tone is, perhaps, somewhat premature but better that than an unexpected crunch because someone has parked where you don't expect it.

Does it beep when you backup, now we cant have that on a 90k car.. I know how to back up...bing...oopppsss
    No, I dont seem to like that option...to many other cool things to order on these cars!!

I can't stand the seat belt ping, so can't ever imagine paying for more warning sounds.

Not an expensive option... I didn't tick the box simply on looks; for me they look too ugly.

I agree that they look better than a cracked / scratched rear bumper, but not as good as a standard undamaged one.

I find them useful on the Cayenne, but not for the 911.

Oxonian are you really using this to decide if you want parking sensors? This is like asking people what the best color is. Some will like it and some will not. Either way it will not take away from the fun of driving your 997.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    I can't stand the seat belt ping, so can't ever imagine paying for more warning sounds.

Are you talking about the seat belt ping that tells you to fasten your belt? If so the answer is to fasten your seat belt and you will not have the ping.

Now you could be talking about something else

They're not as ugly as many people think (have you seen how the things look on Volvos and BMWs? Hideous warts!)

I can't even begin to explain how crucial it was to spec this, especially here in New York City where parking quarters are extremely tight.

I don't regret picking one up for a second. 69boss commented that it goes off well before you are in any "peril" -- for the most part I agree also, but when the tone turns solid (as opposed to the intermittent beeping before that), it usually means you're extremely close to something - within a foot.

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:
    The parking sensors are very helpful for the valet parking guys not to damage your car. It does not matter how good you are. It's the other people who do not care about your car.

I avoid valets like the plague. I'll never be too old or lazy to walk a bit, regardless of my perceived status in life.

As for cars being where you're not "expecting" them.... Ummmm, are you confined to a neck brace or something??

I suppose it really comes down to how much parallel parking you've got to do on a regular basis. Me, where I'm at, I don't have much, and when I do, I'm fairly slick at it, it's never been a circumstance where I've felt I needed some electronic assistance.

But I'd say, bottom line, the option should be chosen only if you've got a high frequency of use forecast.

69bossnine, I assume that in Florida you park quite a bit of the time in a parking lot or car park e.g. if you go to a mall, hotel, sports club, office block etc. If you live in an 'old' city (i.e. basically anywhere where the roads were planned when a coach & horses was the usual mode of transport) then parking will always be tight in small spaces by the roadside.

Paris and Rome are around 2500 years old. London at least 2000 years old. Even though we parallel park all the time - some of us are not too macho to admit that a little bit of help would be welcome.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    69bossnine, I assume that in Florida you park quite a bit of the time in a parking lot or car park e.g. if you go to a mall, hotel, sports club, office block etc. If you live in an 'old' city (i.e. basically anywhere where the roads were planned when a coach & horses was the usual mode of transport) then parking will always be tight in small spaces by the roadside.

Paris and Rome are around 2500 years old. London at least 2000 years old. Even though we parallel park all the time - some of us are not too macho to admit that a little bit of help would be welcome.

I really appreciate your insinuation. Thanks.

Actually, most of the better restaurants and shops are downtown, in both the towns I live between. And being relatively small towns around me (70,000-100,000 population), it's almost strictly parallel parking. The spaces are decently sized, but filled with super-crew dually 1-ton horse-trailer-towing trucks, and the rest of the spots are parked sloppily in, such that you're almost always having to squeeze 10 pounds of *&@$ into a 5 pound bag.

And I do not, ever, park my 997 in a parking garage. I'll walk 5 miles if I have to.

So whatever, if you like it, use it, any combination thereof, knock your socks off. I'm only good for my opinion, which is all that was asked.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    And I do not, ever, park my 997 in a parking garage. I'll walk 5 miles if I have to.

Why do you detest parking garages? Here in Colorado they are a pleasant convienence in the winter.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Why do you detest parking garages? Here in Colorado they are a pleasant convienence in the winter.

Parking garages almost always have very dense layouts. As-such, they are door-ding hell. Also, any parking garage where all the floor are on a pitch are crazy-dangerous, as people will open their doors without thinking to hang onto them, and BANG, into the downhill car the door crashes.

Lastly, parking garages provide excellent cover for vandalism, theft, etc...

Why do you think that professionals who travel a ton typically have a "beater" for leaving at the airport garage?

But hey, I'm off on the lunatic fringe anyhow. If I lived in Colorado, I'd park my 997 through the winter and drive my truck anyhow.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    But hey, I'm off on the lunatic fringe anyhow. If I lived in Colorado, I'd park my 997 through the winter and drive my truck anyhow.

Ahh, thats the greatest suprise about Denver, the weather. It is generally very mild in Denver all winter. Temperatures in the 60s are not uncommon, the sun shines almost every day and when it does snow the roads are generally dry within a day. The summers in Colorado are even nicer!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I really appreciate your insinuation. Thanks.

Actually, most of the better restaurants and shops are downtown, in both the towns I live between. And being relatively small towns around me (70,000-100,000 population), it's almost strictly parallel parking. The spaces are decently sized, but filled with super-crew dually 1-ton horse-trailer-towing trucks, and the rest of the spots are parked sloppily in, such that you're almost always having to squeeze 10 pounds of *&@$ into a 5 pound bag.

So whatever, if you like it, use it, any combination thereof, knock your socks off. I'm only good for my opinion, which is all that was asked.

Hey 69bossnine! I wasn't insinuating anything! I didn't intend to offend you at all. If I did, all I can say is that it was purely accidental and I offer you my apology but I can assure you, it was not my intention to offend.

If anything, I was actually complaining about how pathetically narrow our roads are in Europe.

Your roads are wider. People drive pickup trucks, Hummers Lincoln Navigators and somehow they still fit within each lane. Here in the UK, forget about looking monstrous and grotesque, they actually don't fit in our roads (e.g. if 2 cars try to pass in opposite directions) or, more importantly, in our parking spaces. They overhang a parking space to the point where they occupy two whole spaces.

Parking garages? Sure, I share your concerns and paranoia about dings but there's nothing inferior about the people who have to park in them due to necessity. Here in London, parking garages (which we call car parks) are the norm since space is so limited.

Honestly, I've travelled very very widely through the US. I wish we had the space to build wider roads with nice wide lanes. More and more, we have out of town retail developments (US style) where the stores are located on the perimeter of a parking area with marked spaces. It's just a fact that even expensive malls in the US have this kind of parking arrangement.

Anyway, I was not intending to make any derogatory or condescending remarks. You may have read my posts since I first started loitering here on rennteam and I am simply not one to insult other people. That's just not my way.

Anyway, enjoy your evening. My wife is calling me for dinner...

I have the sensors on my seal grey cab and I don't seam to mind the look of them-in fact you can't see them until you are close to the car. However, I have had the car a year and I don't think they have helped me once while backing up. If I could choose again I would not have purchased them.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Hey 69bossnine! I wasn't insinuating anything! I didn't intend to offend you at all. If I did, all I can say is that it was purely accidental and I offer you my apology but I can assure you, it was not my intention to offend.

If anything, I was actually complaining about how pathetically narrow our roads are in Europe.

Your roads are wider. People drive pickup trucks, Hummers Lincoln Navigators and somehow they still fit within each lane. Here in the UK, forget about looking monstrous and grotesque, they actually don't fit in our roads (e.g. if 2 cars try to pass in opposite directions) or, more importantly, in our parking spaces. They overhang a parking space to the point where they occupy two whole spaces.

Parking garages? Sure, I share your concerns and paranoia about dings but there's nothing inferior about the people who have to park in them due to necessity. Here in London, parking garages (which we call car parks) are the norm since space is so limited.

Honestly, I've travelled very very widely through the US. I wish we had the space to build wider roads with nice wide lanes. More and more, we have out of town retail developments (US style) where the stores are located on the perimeter of a parking area with marked spaces. It's just a fact that even expensive malls in the US have this kind of parking arrangement.

Anyway, I was not intending to make any derogatory or condescending remarks. You may have read my posts since I first started loitering here on rennteam and I am simply not one to insult other people. That's just not my way.

Anyway, enjoy your evening. My wife is calling me for dinner...

Hey, no problem, I picked up the wrong vibe I guess.

Yes, our wide lanes means you can carve apexes in corners without ever leaving your lane!! LOL!!!

On the day I need them to park my Porsche I will sell the car and check myself into a nursing home.

Quote:
    jcs said:

On the day I need them to park my Porsche I will sell the car and check myself into a nursing home.

OK everyone repeat after me. It is just a car, it is just a car, it is just a car. I know we like/love them but it is just a car......

Got them... I like them and would not hesitate to order them again

I think they can be a blessing. I don't believe they make the car look better or worse. If they save you once, they're worth it; and they have

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690920 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410089 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256162 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858759 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775050 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM