Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche - Awful customer service

Hi all. I've stopped steaming enough to write something coherent. I'm not best pleased with the service recieved from OPC Exeter while my car has been in for some recall work, and to attend to my hansling issues (which I'll deal with in another thread).

I'd left the car with them for a whole week, as the previous day and a half were insufficient to complete the work. I booked a car earlier, requesting a car similar to mine so I could compare handling. They booked me a Boxster S with standard suspension. I picked up a loan car of a 2.7 tip with a huge dent in the side from the previous loanee. At least it had PASM, which is the think I really wanted to compare. I'll post an 'I don't like Tips' thread in a second too!

So, I left them my car for the week. I didn't want them doing ANYthing unnecessary while they had it, just in case. I'm healthily sceptical of how much they care about customers cars. Last time I left the roof down, then noticed some bird droppings on some other cars. As I left I mentionned my concern to a member of staff, and asked him to put my roof up. 20 mins later, I pass the dealers and note the roof it still down...

I hadn't had chance to wash the car before I took it down (hosepipe ban in the area of the country where I work), but knowing how easy it is to put swirl marks on, I specifically asked both the tech, and the service desk, them NOT to wash the car... They wrote this on a big fluorescent post it, and stuck it on my file....

Meanwhile I take my car for a test drive to show the handling problems. Some days they are managable, some days almost dangerous. This was a 'medium' day. Tech spotted the problem without too much problem, and confirmed this was an issue. Great. Finally acknowledged my problem. Prious time it was in I had asked them to look at this (as a matter of priority) they couldn't 'see' it, and pushed it back onto me saying they couldn't say that it wasn't the winter tyres, that they don't have experience of the handling characteristics of winter tyres, so wouldn't look at it until I'd swapped them. One fast lane-change manouvre (as I described to them) would have confirmed the problem, tyres or no tyres.

(By the way - rear suspension problem. Likely that PASM dampers being set too soft, meaning back end wallows around like a boat, with knock-ons for steering precision - still in diagnosis as to what the fault is. See seperate thread)

Continued...

Re: Porsche - Awful customer service

So I've left the car with OPC Exeter for a week. Tech has confirmed the fault. I've asked them not to wash the car. I have a loaner which is a dented 2.7 tip, but at least it has PASM. 'If you want to discuss the symptoms with me as you're fault finding' I say 'Just give me a call...'

Driving back in the loaner the handling is a revelation. Sharp steering. No wobble. Except the Conti tyres seem to have no grip, and want to squeal at the drop of a hat. Maybe they're still a bit new. 2.7 tip seems to have less rolling resistance at speed than mine, so I send an email to OPC Exeter to ask them just to poke around to see what they thought. When I swapped the wheels over, one of the brakes was binding a little. Might be normal, might be wheel bearing, or... doesn't hurt to check this out while they have my car for the whole week.

Also, I asked them not to do anything to the handbrake, which the tech thought there was something wrong with. Why do they always want to play with the handbrake?? I reasoned that that was just asking for oil marks/ leather scratches / trim rattles to be introduced for no reason, so I also said in the email 'Don't touch the handbrake'.

No response to email. So next day I sent a follow-up email, querying if the notes in the first email had been passed on to the tech.

No response, so I phoned at lunchtime. 'Not available - can they call you back?'

No call by 4pm. I call back. Finally make contact with service desk.

Get a mixture of 'Our email's been down (reflex excuse?) oh but hang on I remember someone printing out the sheet, and, was it about the handbrake... etc.

I raised this 'bad comminucation' issue with the service manager yesterday. Got a 'If you could see how busy we have been, and we have been short staffed' excuse response. I wanted a 'I'm sorry sir, I'll take your points on board and we'll try to improve'. I got a 'You're being an unreasonable customer' response.

Note, it's not the first time that I've had lack-of-communication issues with this OPC.

Oh and guess what, they washed the car.... (Continued)...

... I parked up the loaner at the OPC, looked around for my car. There it was. But - They've washed it! I prowl round it. It looks like loads more swirl marks, plus a mark on the rear wing. I'm furious.

Service manager with customer, so I have to sit and fume for almost 10 minutes.

I don't know if service manager caught me examining my car but first thing he says is...'I know you left instructions not to wash the car, but....

We left it under a tree, and it got bird poop on it.
    They were doing building work next door, and the car got covered in dust from that.
    So we just gave it a light wash, but we haven't polished it.

I explicitly asked you NOT to wash the car. Why couldn't you phone me up (I suggested) to ask me if it's OK before you go ahead and do it anyway! I would have said, get the spray and kitchen towel that's behind the drivers seat, and carefully wipe the bird crap off. Leave the dust, I'll deal with it when I get home. 'We were too busy to phone you' was they response I got.

(However I did get a phone call first thing yesterday to ask when I would be bringing the loan car back... they found time for that OK!)

Comes out in conversation that they had a Porsche inspection, so... paranoia speaks to me that they didn't want my dirty car hanging around.

The mark on the back wing polished out (by their valet), but looked like a light scratch mark. There's another mark on the front wing that feels like a paint pimple blemish. Already on the boil, I instinctively asked if the car had had any respray in the area while it had been in. 'I think sir is being rather rude, accusing us of this act'....

Sheesh, I'm the customer, and I have to be careful of what I say in case I offend the dealer???

Through out this I was trying my best to be firm, but polite and friendly, getting my concerns across, and all I was getting was a barage of excuses. You can understand why I was starting to boil over. I think the service manager was trying hard to retain his composure as well.

I did have to remind the service manager that I was at the 'starter' end of Porsche ownership, would likely be a repeat customer, and (politely) reminded him that it was in his interest to try his very best to please me, rather than [censored] me off!

... So finally, I accept that they've done the work. The paint might need looking at, but I'll deal with that at home. They've fixed the handling, which is the main thing.

Driving it away - feels fine. Great infact. 10 minutes later, throwing around a few corners to test, and 'Whoooa!' It's back to being a boat again.

How frustrated and angry am I? Enough to write a 3-page rant. I am really on the verge of selling up and leaving the Porsche mark behind. Not because of the car, but because of the bad aftersales service. I honestly have had better service from Ford.

Sorry mate but I think your're asking too much of your dealer! If you keep putting so many demands on them like that they will treat you like an unreasonable customer!

It's only a car for Christ's sake - leave them to put it right and then enjoy driving it rather than worrying about a bird crapping on it

I'm not totally defending the dealer but at the end of the day if you fire this many instructions at them it's no wonder sometimes there is a breakdown in communication.

In my experience the people who make the most fuss etc get treated worse than the people who are a bit more laid back and build a repore with the people at the dealer.

Like I said at the end of the day it's a car!! There are more important things in life than worrying about somebody else washing your car.

Just my 2p....

Wolvy

Quote:
    Wolvy said:It's only a car for Christ's sake - leave them to put it right and then enjoy driving it rather than worrying about a bird crapping on it

I understand your point, but strongly disagree.
    It's not just a car. I do enjoy driving it. (18k in just over a year) I don't worry about bird crap. I do think that the customer should be respected and communicated with.

Fully agree with you wtsnet! You have spent Pounds40k+ on a car and have every right to expect good service from them. Does not sound like you are being unreasonable, your requests have been simple and straightforward.

I too have experienced this kind of poor service but from West London Porsche. I was also made to feel like I was in the wrong by the staff there, even though they ha damaged my car but did not tell me about it.

I would consider writing Porsche GB and escalating this. Your handling issues are very not good at all, sounds dangerous even, and at the very least takes away from the main enjoyment of your car!

Oh dear, you HAVE had a bad experience with your dealer. Sorry to hear that. When you get the "we've got your money now pi$$ off and don't bother us anymore" attitude it totally ruins the experience of having such an expensive car. You buy a Porsche because you are a car enthusiast and they should employ people who recognise that fact and even better are enthusiasts themselves.

Although I have had very little to go back to my dealer for, they appear to be a complete contrast to yours. So far, nothing has been too much trouble for them, they do always return phone calls. Walk into the showroom, always greeted with a smile and an offer of refreshment and never ever kept waiting. The only minor problem I've had is the recent recall work that was done they forgot to stamp the book. I'd strongly suggest if you can to deal with Porsche Centre Bournemouth and leave the Exeter clowns with their BMW / Mercedes dealership arrogant and complacent attitude as I reckon that you are probably nearer to Bournemouth in driving time anyway. I'd also write a formal complaint to Porsche GB about your experiences.

yes but IT IS just a car.

Honestly mate I used to be just like you. I had several cars that I absolutely cherished and I still love my 997 to bits now.

The problem is that you can get so protective and worry over it that owning it becomes more of a headache than an enjoyment. I had a Boxster and was very anal about this being my first 'Porsche', then a 996 4S - I used to spend hours cleaning and polishing it then my Dad dropped a huge piece of wood against it and it needed respraying!! Now I've got a 997S and I haven't even had time to clean it for 4 months! It will come up looking like new though when I get the time. I just drive it every day and don't care if it's a bit dirty. Sometimes I think the more you pamper something the more likely it is to get damaged/minor imperfections and then it completely does your head in and you can't handle it.

When you see people in your life die from cancer, etc it makes you put things in perspective. We're very lucky to have such nice cars - but at the end of the day they are a lump of metal to get you from A to B. Don't get me wrong I'm still passionate about cars but just remember they are liable to damage at any moment.

I would leave your car at the dealer until they fix it - if you still think there is something wrong with it then just sell it and buy another one - life is too short!

Wolvy

RichJ

PS - I should make it clear that I have no problem with the tech. The obvious thing to try would be replacing the rear shocks, and this was aparently Porsche's recommendation too. It was unfortunate that this didn't completely fix the problem, but I can understand that's just how life goes.

Wolvy, I appreciate your sentiments and your bereavement, but find it patronising. Sorry, but I do.

I treat my car much like you do yours. I do however work hard, have little time to chase things up.
    That's the thing I'm most upity with. Lost time to spend with the people that matter to me.

I did leave the car at the dealer until they fixed it. Except they didn't.

The paint doesn't bother me. I can fix it when I have time. Ultimately it's only cosmetic. It's the handling I really want to get fixed.

And yes, I can ditch the car and get another, but I lose both a car I really like, and suffer a financial penaltly. But I will do that if this is not resolved... and it won't be another Porsche.

I totally know where you are coming from.

Every time my car has went in for work I've had hassle - one time the guy said "you've got to stop bringing your car in" my response was "if you did your job and fixed it I wouldnt have to"...

Every time the car went in I had a new scratch or mark. A great chunk out of the boot lid was a stage too far.

Having had one 987 replaced and my current one fitted with a new roof I have no faith in the Porsche brand and particular there dealers abilities to fix problems. I would NEVER buy another Porsche from my OPC.

To top it all my rear suspension arm bolts are rusting again... Never ends does it!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    And yes, I can ditch the car and get another, but I lose both a car I really like, and suffer a financial penaltly. But I will do that if this is not resolved... and it won't be another Porsche.

You've been very unfortunate with this car and this dealer, but all I can say is don't deny yourself another Porsche because of it. I am sure your experiences are the exception rather than the norm. Don't darken Exeter's door again, get another car when your ready from another dealer.

I'd agree with Dreamcar. Change dealership, not brand. Hopefully things will balance out. That level of unhappiness with your service OPC isn't gonna lead to anything good for either side.

Wtsnet,
    I understand your frustration, for which I believe there are different reasons.
    The good news is that you can do something about it.
    A few tips, if you want them:

1) You can never control other peoples action, never.
    But you can 100% control your reaction the their actions.

I have no clue what your dialogue sounds like, if you're 100% fair towards them or being too picky. But I DO know, that you and the dealer team don't see eye to eye on how to service you and your car.

As I see it, you cant make them service you the way u want them to.
    So you can either waste a lot of positive energy trying to make them see things you way, or...you can pick a new dealer.
    Find out which gives ou the better quality of life.

2) Actions cause reactions. Pressure causes counter-pressure.
    The more you confront them with their lack of service - the way you expect them to service you - the more they will defend themselves, explain, excuse and rationalize everything, and at the end of the day you will end up thinking they are idiots, and they will think youre a picky/difficult customer.

Get a new dealership or repair shop. One that you might trust a bit more. Start with a clean slate instead of trying to patch up a relationship that seems to be beyond repair.

If they owe you a warranty repair or the like, of course you will have to endure that. If not, simply move on.

That's my advice

PS: I have the exact same problem with my OPC.
    I have now been to the shop FOUR times to get rid of a squeeking noise in the steering wheel.
    They have greased it, adjusted it and last friday they changed some bearing in the damper. It's still not ok.
    Same with my exhaust that rattles.
    Four times in...still not fixed. Now they believe I need a new Cat....something they should have found out four trips to the dealer ago.

I will sort things out and unfortunately have to pick a shop far from my home.
    But that's better than being unhappy and wasting time.

I don't want this thread to become an anti-Exeter one. I appreciate that people have good and bad experiences with the same make/model of car and with the same dealership/staff.

I personally have been a disappointed customer. It is so easy to turn a negative issue (fault) into a positive experience for a customer, even more so than if the customer had had no fault at all. I am just disappointed that this has been a missed opportinuty for OPC Exeter to gain a life-long loyal customer.

But I can't stay here yapping all day. It's sunny outside...

Have a great weekend folks. Thanks for listening to my rant.

DrPhil: Agree, and I had come to that conclusion also. BTW - Believe me, I was as diplomatic as I could be without rolling over, and the service manager was also polite, though too quick to offer exuses rather than address my concerns. If he'd held up his hands and said 'You're right, I should have made more of an effort to contact you, we'll try harder next time' I wouldn't have written the rant.

I have to say it irks me when people tell me "man, it's just a car!!". You could tell anybody that their passion is "just" whatever that passion is, if it's not yours. For instance, (UK guys) I could say "soccer is JUST a game". But tell that to the hundreds of thousands screaming fans at the games, pubs, and houses watching it.
    Cars are my passion, my one passion in life. I sometimes wish that I WASN'T so crazy about the car, worring about any little chip or mark on it, because I think I might enjoy it more. I won't drive it sometimes if I don't know that there is sufficient parking because I'd worry about the car the entire time I was there and it would ruin my night. I know this is crazy........but it is what it is! Different people have different passions. Don't try to tell them that they shouldn't feel the way they do about their car because if you're a true car enthusiast, you'll never change!

I really hope that they (or some other OPC) get it fixed Wtsnet !!

Quote:
    05Boxster said:

...Cars are my passion, I sometimes wish that I WASN'T so crazy about the car, worring about any little chip or mark on it, because I think I might enjoy it more. I won't drive it sometimes if I don't know that there is sufficient parking because I'd worry about the car the entire time I was there and it would ruin my night. I know this is crazy........but it is what it is! Different people have different passions. Don't try to tell them that they shouldn't feel the way they do about their car because if you're a true car enthusiast, you'll never change!

It's the same over here 05Boxster, EXACTLY the same.
    Both and , but like you said, it's Who and What we are

You have my sympathies - i obviously have the same expectations as you, hence why i can't find a dealership i trust to drive the car round to the service bay, never mind anything else.

You buy a premium product, you expect a premium product and a premium service to go with it.

You fly club class, you expect a bit more respect and a slightly more accomodating attitude from the air hostesses than you would in economy - thats what you pay for.

The end result is you are no further on with the handling issue despite 3 visits to the dealership, you have a worse relationship with the staff as a result of them not being able to follow simple instructions !(if they were worried about bird crap on the car they should have called you).

I hate to say this but only by writing to the aftersales manager and copying to the customer services manager at reading will you see any change in their attitude - if people don't tell they are dissatisfied then they won;t do anything about it.

There are some OPCs out there who realise some owners BUY the car because they cherish the car and what it means to them, others just want to LEASE cars to people that just sign the service bill on the dotted line.

I've heard good reports for Exeter, but if you can't get anywhere with them go elsewhere. there's no harm in telling another OPC that Exeter have looked at the issue 3 times and not been able to fix it. It might help them decide what the problem isn't and hone in on the real root cause.

Quote:
    percymon said:I've heard good reports for Exeter, but if you can't get anywhere with them go elsewhere. there's no harm in telling another OPC that Exeter have looked at the issue 3 times and not been able to fix it. It might help them decide what the problem isn't and hone in on the real root cause.

To be fair, they have only attempted to fix the fault once, and it is probably not a trivial fault-find.
    As I said, I'm sure Exeter has many satisfied customers.
    I personally felt poorly (not badly) treated. As you say, we are paying for a higher standard of service. It doesn't take a second to send a quick email or phone call.
    I hope to get to the bottom of the handling issue, and will feedback. If I receive excellent service from any dealers, then I'll also feed that back.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    ...You fly club class, you expect a bit more respect and a slightly more accomodating attitude from the air hostesses than you would in economy - thats what you pay for.
    ...I hate to say this but only by writing to the aftersales manager and copying to the customer services manager at reading will you see any change in their attitude - if people don't tell they are dissatisfied then they won;t do anything about it...

Share your opinion and that's the way to go - indeed I would wait for one more attempt to fix your car. If they can't deal with the problem I'd follow the above mentioned path and send a letter. I'd even adress one copy to Porsche UK - trust me, I have had my fair share of experiences with dealerships due to private and business issues and wouldn't deal with things like this. If this doesn't help after all you can still initiate the appropriate consequenses...

wtsnet

I am sorry, relieved and worry to hear your story, all at the same time.

I have had a similar experience with my dealer in Spain, and really wanted to believe that it was not Porsche but the service team in Spain, and now hearing about your story I realize that the crappy service is not limited to my dealer but apperently is quite normal!

Just to make you feel better....let me see where do i start...

1 - Pick up my new 986S in 03, as i drive out the gate of the dealership, i realize the blinker is not working, reverse and go talk with the sales guy, they take the car down, bring it back, sir, we have done a reset and now all ok. Fine, small glitch but here we go ready once again to drive away. As I drive out the gate, blinker is still not working.... now, im pissed, reverse and go talk with the guy again, I had to wait for a couple of hours till they fixed it. A reset in their lingo sounds to me like when I call tech support in my company to fix a computer problem and they tell you to switch the computer of and on again. To me, tends to mean that they have no clue how to resolve the issue but hope that the computer does.

2 - Car hit a rock and the plastic that covers under the car got damage. I take the car to get it fixed. 2 weeks later I picked it up. yes, I am a bit anal so i look under the car at home with a light to see what they did. Yes, the black plastic had been replaced but they did not fix the actual damage to the chasis, the rock dented the under body of the car making a hole in the structure (not so sure how to say it in english but hope you get the point) I take pics and drive to the dealer, he first tries to tell me that it was my insurance company that did not approve the extra work, as we keep talking, soon I realized he did not even know what I was talking about so I asked the guy to put the car up and look under the car, he was surprised to see the damage and could not explain how it did not get fixed. 2 more weeks at the dealer.

3 - Let's not mention the many times I took the car to fix my rooftop and never really got fixed, the times I asked not to wash my car and the car got washed etc.

So, I still love Porsche cars, will be picking up my new C4S this month (Stuttgart delivery, don't want the guys in Spain to touch the car) but I think if this level of after sales service is common, it will only take a downturn in the economy and or other car companies introducing new models like the AV8 for Porsche to start suffering the consequences of their own sucess in the last 2 decades.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    DrPhil: Agree, and I had come to that conclusion also. BTW - Believe me, I was as diplomatic as I could be without rolling over, and the service manager was also polite, though too quick to offer exuses rather than address my concerns. If he'd held up his hands and said 'You're right, I should have made more of an effort to contact you, we'll try harder next time' I wouldn't have written the rant.

wtsnet, I've been in your shoes in the past. Even if you were trying to be diplomatic outwardly, people sometimes sense the negative vibes from your body language. This puts them in a defensive mode leaving both parties with less than desired results.

Perhaps you might consider a change in your communication style. If you are interested in a suggestion/experiment, make an appointment & sit down quietly with the manager on a low-pressure day and begin by admitting your possible mistakes as a customer to the manager first and then see if he follows your example.

Once both parties admit to mistakes, negative feelings are reduced and proper communication and compromise can begin.

What do you possibly stand to lose?

If all else fails, you might try a different dealer.

Believe me, I'm no fan of Porsche dealers. There comes a time, however, where you have to put your car in the hands of others. Most people will not treat it the way you would. I'm not looking forward to giving my car over for its first service at the dealer later this month. But it's not worth getting an ulcer over swirl marks or bird droppings. You have two choices: find another dealer or learn how to service the car yourself. (I wish I had the time and capability to do the latter.)

Calm down and go out for a drive to sooth your nerves!

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:What do you possibly stand to lose?

A day's wages! (I work freelance, so get paid by the hour. Hence I'd prefer it if faults were fixed first time round, as I don't often have time to fanny about.)

I hear what you say about body language. I think I was pretty controlled, but this can always be improved to perhaps get better results.

Communication is a two-way street though. I remember years ago going on a course, teaching client-facing staff how to deal with unhappy customers. Customers shouldn't have to go on courses on how to deal with defensive customer services staff with questionable communication skills!

But good comment yes. If I had all the time in the world I would be happy just to sit with them until this was all sorted. Unfortunately I have to work (hard) and my free time is precious.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Hence I'd prefer it if faults were fixed first time round, as I don't often have time to fanny about.)

I agree. Unfortunately, the world does not work this way.

Would you be willing to lose a portion of your day's wages in return for peace of mind? Short term loss in exchange for long term gain?

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:Would you be willing to lose a portion of your day's wages in return for peace of mind? Short term loss in exchange for long term gain?

If it doesn't get resolved, I can spend more time nannying the problem after my contract finishes. However that could be after the summer has ended. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Thanks all, for your comments and similar tales.
    I guess we should start rocking the boat, certainly in the UK.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760499 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434262 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259959 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871168 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806318 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM