Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AFTER the Rennteam Summer Party (Second Day)

Looking at all these nice pics I should have joined you on Sunday as well

Next time I will book a hotel and stay

RC, great reading you had so mucg fun, and that the 997 turbo is the beast we all expected it to be. Could you please post as many pics as possible, also of the other cars? (pref 996 GT2)
    -Joost-

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You should

It was a great day with great guys and great cars!!

Quote:
    KF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You should

It was a great day with great guys and great cars!!

Next time I will stay

If you're near my hometown give me a call and we can make some driving experiences...

Quote:
    KF said:
    If you're near my hometown give me a call and we can make some driving experiences...

Many thanks for the excellent proposal!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    "I really don't understand why people are that much against it, maybe they should testdrive it first."
    TIP is only FIVE speed, reason No.1, even Porsche is claiming that manual version(with optional LSD) is faster around ANY track(you will see it in Sport Auto!), reason No.2, and some other like...
    Total driver control. You simply can not do that with TIP version, whatever you say it is not fully possible.
    And some people like to change gears!
    Let me tell you completely honestly if Porsche made TIP with 6 speeds, alu paddles for shifting gears(like new SL 55 AMG) and if LSD option was available for this TIP I would go for it!! But, not for TIP in present version, networked system or not.
    BTW, why then new 997 GT2 will be manual only with standard LSD If TIP is such(you said track also) monster??

Kreso, don't start it again. The GT2 doesn't have AWD/PTM and you know it. Maybe you should tell Adnan to join us next time or he simply should ask CR. I'm sorry but Tip it is and the 6. gear doesn't do anything, maybe because Porsche apparently raised the boost pressure on Tip cars in the higher speed range to compensate for the missing gear.

Forget about the old granny in a 997 TT Tip picture...it would definetely be ridiculous and not funny.

You don't believe it? Meet with the boys in the Black Forest. If you can keep up with them or even be faster, I'll come too. If not, just believe me: Tip rocks.

Question: does the Carrera / Carrera S also use the same gearbox (Tip) on the tt ? or the only difference is the gear ratio ?

Quote:
    AMA said:
    Question: does the Carrera / Carrera S also use the same gearbox (Tip) on the tt ? or the only difference is the gear ratio ?

I try to explain it (again) with a few short points:
    1. the Tiptronic is made by Mercedes, both in the 997 TT and Carrera models
    2. the Tiptronic in the 997 Turbo has been adapted/integrated to the new PTM/AWD which is electronically controlled (NOT the case in the Carrera models!)
    3. the Tiptronic has a few functions which are not (yet) available in the Carrera models but may be introduced for the next model year (like the fast back function, etc.).

Bottom line: the 997 Turbo Tiptronic profits from the networked design (Tiptronic, PASM, PTM, AWD, VTG chargers) and it CANNOT be compared to the Carrera models or even the manual on the GT3/GT2.

Questions like "why doesn't Porsche use the Tiptronic for the 997 GT3/GT2" are pretty dumb and can only come from people who are completely ignorant of the technical specs or just not paying attention to the facts.

Thanks for the clarification

Christian,
    Do you know what I did today? Changed my order to TIP! Why? Well, let say simply that I trust you!
    It also moved my production date to late October 2006... Waiting will kill me... BTW, you were rigth TIP time from 0-200km/h is according to my friend from AMS around 11.7s...
    Now, few questions for you:
    If I do not "power-torque" what is the best way for smooth/fast start:
    -SC on, D mode or
    -SC on, M mode??
    At 300km/h(tacho) how many rpm's on TIP(of course in 5.)?
    So, your opinion is trusted this time.
    BTW, I did not give up manual gearbox! It will be in my track toy-new 997 GT3RS!!
    Thanks again,
    Kreso

Seems to me you where right about the tip all along!!! Thanks for your great posts and the pictures. Your very fortunate RC

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    "I really don't understand why people are that much against it, maybe they should testdrive it first."
    TIP is only FIVE speed, reason No.1, even Porsche is claiming that manual version(with optional LSD) is faster around ANY track(you will see it in Sport Auto!), reason No.2, and some other like...
    Total driver control. You simply can not do that with TIP version, whatever you say it is not fully possible.
    And some people like to change gears!
    Let me tell you completely honestly if Porsche made TIP with 6 speeds, alu paddles for shifting gears(like new SL 55 AMG) and if LSD option was available for this TIP I would go for it!! But, not for TIP in present version, networked system or not.
    BTW, why then new 997 GT2 will be manual only with standard LSD If TIP is such(you said track also) monster??

Kreso, don't start it again. The GT2 doesn't have AWD/PTM and you know it. Maybe you should tell Adnan to join us next time or he simply should ask CR. I'm sorry but Tip it is and the 6. gear doesn't do anything, maybe because Porsche apparently raised the boost pressure on Tip cars in the higher speed range to compensate for the missing gear.

Forget about the old granny in a 997 TT Tip picture...it would definetely be ridiculous and not funny.

You don't believe it? Meet with the boys in the Black Forest. If you can keep up with them or even be faster, I'll come too. If not, just believe me: Tip rocks.

Chrisitian,

I think you and Kreso are speaking different languages. You say Turbo with Tip is super fast and Kreso argues that manual offers total control and LSD more traction. At the bottom line you are both right. Of course it is easier for us to drive with Tiptronic, no wrong gear, hands on the steer and fast back. Kreso on the other hand is also right, with manual you have the total control (means no influence of any computer aided gearbox control) and for sure the LSD offers to each driver more traction.
    The questions left:
    - by having Tipronic could every driver force the car to maximum
    - by having manual, do every driver control the car for 100%
    - do every driver use a benefit from the LSD advantage

And for luck, this depends on us humans. If it would be like black and white, Porsche would offer only one possibility. So it depends on individual.

I would like not to see any further discussions on rennteam, which option Tip or manual is better. The discussion is borrowing.

AM

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Christian,
    Do you know what I did today? Changed my order to TIP! Why? Well, let say simply that I trust you!
    It also moved my production date to late October 2006... Waiting will kill me... BTW, you were rigth TIP time from 0-200km/h is according to my friend from AMS around 11.7s...
    -SC on, D mode or
    -SC on, M mode??
    BTW, I did not give up manual gearbox! It will be in my track toy-new 997 GT3RS!!
    Thanks again,
    Kreso

Well, if YOU decided on the Tip, then I guess this means that there really is something to it . Now I know which spoecs to keep in mind .

RC, thanks for your great posts and the pictures
    only super cars and will exist a video of this super day?

Quote:
    Porscha said:

Sorry, there is no video. Both powerpacks of my camera were empty. I don't know why

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Christian,
    -SC on, D mode or
    -SC on, M mode??
    Thanks again,
    Kreso

You're kidding me, right?
    If you have a GT3 RS on order, the Tip in the 997 Turbo is just perfect. You always have a perfect track car and a street monster too.

Without power torque method, you really need to get a bit of speed to be able to achieve a decent performance. Even 20 kph are enough but the car has to be moving. This is actually the only annoying thing with the Tip.

I always drive with Sport Chrono ON and it starts off in 1. gear. Turning PSM off doesn't help with starting off faster but it may be useful when driving hard (caution: heavy oversteer!!!). I didn't look at the rpm at 300 kph on the speedo but CF did 326 kph on the speedo when he reached the rev limiter, maybe this helps.

You'll love it when you drive it hard, you can have both hands at the steering wheel all the time, this is like somebody is actually doing the shifting AND shifting thinking for you, incredible fun.

NO, I am NOT kidding you!
    Yesterday, I spoke with 997 turbo TIP owner and told me few things that were almost the same as you did.
    So, I said to myself why not then?! But, for track driving something like 997 GT3RS is far better choice, IMO.
    BTW, my F430F1 Spider is on market, I allready have potential buyer from Hungary...
    997 Turbo TIP and 997 GT3RS is a perfect combo for me!
    So, I will join TIP club after all.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Welcome! And honestly: I would NEVER EVER buy Tip on a different car. Today I drove my wife's Boxster S again (Tip) and it sucked, especially compared to the weekend drive in the 997 Turbo. It is more spontaneous from standstill but when it comes to dynamic driving, it really is annoying (compared to manual). Still works fine but would never buy it.

You're selling the F430 Spider? What a pitty. A Cab is always nice to have, especially the F430 Spider.

Yes, F430F1 Spider is a awsome car but, this guy from Hungary offered me very nice money for my car...
    Now, Nick Berry resale value comes first to my mind!
    I will know more tomorrow...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Yesterday, I spoke with 997 turbo TIP owner and told me few things that were almost the same as you did.
    So, I said to myself why not then?! But, for track driving something like 997 GT3RS is far better choice, IMO.
    BTW, my F430F1 Spider is on market, I allready have potential buyer from Hungary...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I think there are only three emoticons to describe the events in MKSGR's house:

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Christian,
    -SC on, D mode or
    -SC on, M mode??
    Thanks again,
    Kreso

You're kidding me, right?
    If you have a GT3 RS on order, the Tip in the 997 Turbo is just perfect. You always have a perfect track car and a street monster too.

Without power torque method, you really need to get a bit of speed to be able to achieve a decent performance. Even 20 kph are enough but the car has to be moving. This is actually the only annoying thing with the Tip.

I always drive with Sport Chrono ON and it starts off in 1. gear. Turning PSM off doesn't help with starting off faster but it may be useful when driving hard (caution: heavy oversteer!!!). I didn't look at the rpm at 300 kph on the speedo but CF did 326 kph on the speedo when he reached the rev limiter, maybe this helps.

You'll love it when you drive it hard, you can have both hands at the steering wheel all the time, this is like somebody is actually doing the shifting AND shifting thinking for you, incredible fun.

326km/h ?!%@

So I take it the top speed 310km/h(193mph) given by porsche is just an ink on paper ?

A message to fellow Neanderthals

Just wanted to let you know that after 700 miles, I've never been happier about a car. The sport shifter optioned 6 speed is everything that I hoped for. The transmission/shifter is so precise and intuitive. I've never driven a more "fluid" car. Everything just works harmoniously and perfect together.

And I will never stop enjoying the fun of rev-matching and executing a perfect shift.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

I think there are only three emoticons to describe the events in MKSGR's house:

No, no: I am much more positive regarding Tip now. Information shared on the Rennteam event had an impact on my views

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Yes, F430F1 Spider is a awsome car but, this guy from Hungary offered me very nice money for my car...
    Now, Nick Berry resale value comes first to my mind!
    I will know more tomorrow...

Will you resale the F430 spider more than new? I know that only ferrari have a plus value also when used....

Why you don't wait for 997tt cabrio???

Honestly, I do not like the look of 997 Cabrio, Turbo or not.
    About F430 Spider, yes, offer is above MSRP...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Honestly, I do not like the look of 997 Cabrio, Turbo or not.
    About F430 Spider, yes, offer is above MSRP...

In Hungary? Above MSRP? Those poor Hungarians .

Quote:
    KF said:
    Quote:
    Porscha said:

Sorry, there is no video. Both powerpacks of my camera were empty. I don't know why

And I was stupid enough not to take a video camera with me because I was sure YOU have one with you.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    KF said:
    Quote:
    Porscha said:

And I was stupid enough not to take a video camera with me because I was sure YOU have one with you.

i had one with me,this week end...

but i was at home!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752939 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430616 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258547 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868210 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801748 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM