Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

C6Z vs. 997TT post from 6speeonline

Posted by user "SCvet00":

"Race took place. I am waiting for the video from Rick (TT owner).

From a dig, he got the jump on me and shutdown as I was getting ready to pass him at the top of third gear. I just can not get traction with the runflats on.

From a roll, the TT didn't stand a chance. Went from a 55-130 and he was about 2 cars behind EVERY time, and I was still pulling. We did this about 3x with the same results. I expected this from a roll.

In conclusion, the Z06 is just flat out the quicker car. Had the race went longer from a dig, I would have passed.

Video to be up soon.."

Reply from user "bond":

"From a roll, 0.16 Seconds quicker from 55-130? - not impressed at all, especially considering the lower (1200) miles on the TT, disappointing. A few hundred feet of altitude could push the TT ahead.

Here is the calc - 130 mph = 190.66 feet per second / 2 car lengths (30 feet) - 30/190.66 = 0.1573 seconds."

Might add that the 997TT had only 1200 miles on the clock and the Corvette already had around 2050 miles behind it.
    So basically, the Corvette isn't the almighty slayer everybody takes it to be.

Re: C6Z vs. 997TT post from 6speeonline

Does that mean we have to cancel our 997 Turbo order and head to the nearest chevy dealer and pick up a Z06 + Super-Glue(just incase the roof decides to part out)

No. That means that the 997TT is roughly as fast as the Corvette (it only fully loosens up after several thousand miles). Also, what's important, you can CLOSE its roof by pushing a button, as opposed to stopping on the side of the road to pick up the roof .

Imagine what the Turbo would do if it had just as much plastic as the Corvette,RWD and a bit more power?

Crash, was the 997TT tip or manuel and I would assume that the turbo had SC and it was selected?

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    Crash, was the 997TT tip or manuel and I would assume that the turbo had SC and it was selected?

It was a 6-speed and I'd assume SC was turned on. Hopefully RC can also fill us in on his experience today.

Thanks, I am really interested in how it performs against the F430 too!

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Imagine what the Turbo would do if it had just as much plastic as the Corvette,RWD and a bit more power?

Then it would be a GT2 and cost 3 times (instead of 2) as much as the Vette...

I was just thinking the same thing The questions some people ask is amazing!!

interesting..honestly i didnt excpect the vette to be ahead on any powerband..i admit chevy did it well this time..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    interesting..honestly i didnt excpect the vette to be ahead on any powerband..i admit chevy did it well this time..

Don't forget that the Turbo has hardly been run in. The owner arrived to race as soon as the car had even remotely enough miles. I'd like to see the race repeated in 6 months.

I am surprise. Test showed from 80-120 the TT destroyed everyone. However, that is because all the cars were forced to use 6th gear. Obviously the gearing played a major role.

From the start the TT with AWD would be quicker but once they begin to hit serious numbers, the TT is coughing the Z06 exhaust.

The more I read about the TT performance the less impressed I am becoming. When you factor in its rather pedestrian styling with vacuum cleaner exhaust sound, I suspect many buyer's are going to be disappointed. My God they had two years to develop a perf. cars to beat the competition and this is the best they can do.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I am surprise. Test showed from 80-120 the TT destroyed everyone. However, that is because all the cars were forced to use 6th gear. Obviously the gearing played a major role.

From the start the TT with AWD would be quicker but once they begin to hit serious numbers, the TT is coughing the Z06 exhaust.

The more I read about the TT performance the less impressed I am becoming. When you factor in its rather pedestrian styling with vacuum cleaner exhaust sound, I suspect many buyer's are going to be disappointed. My God they had two years to develop a perf. cars to beat the competition and this is the best they can do.

Your sentiments are very valid, however, like I've said, the Turbo needs several thousand miles to really get broken in and performance should improve markedly. I'd even venture to say that the outcome would be different with the TT having 900 more miles than it had.
    Also, one shouldn't discount its amazing capabilities on the road, as I truly believe this is the best sports car for on-road driving to date.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Your sentiments are very valid, however, like I've said, the Turbo needs several thousand miles to really get broken in and performance should improve markedly. I'd even venture to say that the outcome would be different with the TT having 900 more miles than it had.
    Also, one shouldn't discount its amazing capabilities on the road, as I truly believe this is the best sports car for on-road driving to date.

I believe the the break in period is over rated and more of a prayer.

However, I do agree that the TT over all road capabilites are best in its class. My question is it worth $150,000 for a sterile ride and lack of excitement? Buy a Cayenne for good road capabilies and a lot more comfort.

BTW don't fret, Porsche will sell a ton of the Turbo's.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I believe the the break in period is over rated and honest more of a prayer.

However, I do agree that the TT over all road capabilites are best in its class. My question is it worth $150,000 for a sterile ride and lack of excitement? Buy a Cayenne for good road capabilies and a lot more comfort.

Oh, like you did. And then suffer through service hell? I realize that for you it's a no-brainer, since you are driving your F430 for free. If I had a choice, I'd also pick the 430 for free over a $150.000 Turbo, that's for sure. However, since both cars are pretty much equal on the european market, I'd choose the Turbo for roughly the same amount of money. A better exhaust will come, sooner or later. I'm sure Porsche will release the PSE, in order to make extra profit. Like RC said, the test mules he heard had excellent sound and I'm convinced we will be able to pay extra for that sound.

Its a bizarre comparison as one car is 2 seat 2wd and the other is a nearly double the price awd 2+2.

The TT is the most profitable car that Porsche makes. Its ironic that Porsche needs to deploy so much technology to come close to a rear wheel drive Chevrolet in straight line
    accelleration. And if you look at the Auto Bild comparison test the Porsche loses to the Vette on the track.

Ok, so the TT is the best 997 yet. But its not the sports car best car yet.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Are we reading the same posts??? You really feel that buyers of the new TT will be disappointed??? HAHAHA

I have a hard time believing that. Time will settle all of these issues with the performance. I am particularly interested in hearing Amir's impression after a few 1,000 miles. With two F-cars, a BMW M5, and a CGT in the stable next to his TT, I believe that he would give an unbiased assestment. But, bottom line, nobody has built the perfect car for every driver....and no one ever will. Suffice it to say, that those of us that are getting a 997TT are getting one because we appreciate the qualities of this car.

Nick, don't be such a buzz killer.....jealousy is an ugly thing

Quote:
    dhayek said:i admit chevy did it well this time..

Yep, they've done it again

Quote:
    AMA said:
    Quote:

[image]

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/8947/z06flip1tx.jpg[/image]

Oooops....is that a little rain or snow on the road???
    Advantage 997TT!!

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, I agree with you with almost all your points. The only point I disagree with is the styling as I like it very much, especially after seeing one in person.

But I will await more head-to-head tests before I make a final decision to buy or stick with my Carrera S.

I think its best to wait and let the magazines test the TT and 06Z head to head. I never buy these Homemade videos I want equall drivers in controlled conditions to see real results.

Quote:
    nberry said:My question is it worth $150,000 for a sterile ride and lack of excitement? Buy a Cayenne for good road capabilies and a lot more comfort.

Excellent thought, I'm cancelling my TT for the Cayenne. But does the latter come in Starbucks yellow?

Porsche's DME is intentionally restricted until roughly 2k, so as to keep the less than patinet from doing some damage.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its ironic that Porsche needs to deploy so much technology to come close to a rear wheel drive Chevrolet in straight line
    accelleration.

You seriously think that straight line performance was the only thing Porsche aimed for?

Quote:
    devo said:
    Porsche's DME is intentionally restricted until roughly 2k, so as to keep the less than patinet from doing some damage.

How much is the backed off by for the 2K break in? Thanks

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its ironic that Porsche needs to deploy so much technology to come close to a rear wheel drive Chevrolet in straight line
    accelleration.

You seriously think that straight line performance was the only thing Porsche aimed for?

Look at the AutoBild track times. The Vette is quicker per lap.

Obviously Porsche builds the car for their audience. Its also obvious its slower as a sports car when used as a sports car on a track than a Corvette is.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:Its ironic that Porsche needs to deploy so much technology to come close to a rear wheel drive Chevrolet in straight line acceleration.

The *real* irony is the fact that they didn't need to deploy any new technology at all to be FASTER than the C6Z. All it would take to be faster is some ECU tweaking and a free flowing exhaust...just like GIAC does with it's Stage 4 programming.

Quote:
    Apex Seeker said:
    Quote:
    AMA said:
    Quote:

[image]

]http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/8947/z06flip1tx.jpg[/image]

Oooops....is that a little rain or snow on the road???
    Advantage 997TT!!

I agree with that!

Look Porsche is going to sell more Turbo's than the 996 turbo. They are laughing all the way to the bank. My comments should not impact your view or anyone else purchase.

The 997TT is a wonderful car. But someone posted on the 997 site an insightful comment. Here is what he wrote;

>> The Turbo (IMHO) just doesn't have the looks and the passion (compared to Italian alternatives) that a Pounds100k+ supercar should have. Plus my current Carrera S is just as good a GT car as the TT given the speed limits here outside of German Autobarns.

His post make a lot of sense. The S is a hell of a lot of car and in my opinion much better looking than the TT.

That's funny, more I drove it the more I am impressed

Guess it's good that you got the parade float and I got the all weather supercar

Re: That's funny, more I drove it the more I am impressed

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Guess it's good that you got the parade float and I got the all weather supercar

Alan you forgot, I have the Cayenne! I will take that in the rain and snow before the TT.

I am sure the turbo is a great car. I am only busting your N*ts.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691065 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410186 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858827 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM