Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997S Coupe to Cabrio?

I've had my 997S for 18 months now and like a few others here I'm looking to trade. The problem is I can't find anything out there that I like as much as the 997S. Thought about AM V8, Maserati Gransport, new Jag XK, Z4M Coupe, new 5.5 SL, M6 but keep coming back to the Porsche.

One thing I keep coming back to is switching to the Cabrio.

A couple of questions.

1. I'm finding it hard to get a test drive in an S Cabrio. Having got used to the amazing rigidity of the Coupe am I going to find the Cabrio very sloppy?
    2. I had a MY 2000 996 3.4 Cabrio which started rattling and squeaking badly. Has anyone had similar problems with the 997.
    3. I drive in central London every day which basically means crawling along in traffic so the Tip is my first choice - should I go for a C2 or C4?
    4. As a wild card I've been wondering about the 3.4l Boxster S. On paper it has about the same performance as my 2000 996 but should be more rigid as a result of the engine location and configuation. If I was to do that I might go for a manual and then switch my other car to an auto for the city grind. Any thoughts?

So many decisions...

Re: 997S Coupe to Cabrio?

1. I don't think you'll notice a rigidity difference in city traffic. If you like the idea of a cab, it'll way out-weigh any deficiencies in rigidity.

2. I have 16,000 miles on my 997SCab and there are no squeaks, rattles, or hums. I love mine.

3. I'd get the 4 because of all the snow over there.

Unless you're in a place with great weather moving from a coupe to a Cab seems a bit hard to justify.

Another point: I hardly ever drive my 986S anymore even when it's sunny; I prefer to take my 997s instead. If I had a 997S cab I don't think I would like all the attention it gets in the city or neighborhood. Would be great (and less flashy) in sunny car-culture cities where cabs are plentiful

Complicated... .

Why not go to a Turbo? THAT would be a clear-cut and bullet proof reason to trade in the 997S Coupe.

Did that

I finally realised after overcoming a 25 year old trauma (rusting Triumph Spitfire with leaky roof and LOTS of duct tape) that I really loved the idea of driving a cab.

In a 997 Cab it's so easy that in the midwest you can drop your top faster than a cheerleader at a frat party for 15 minutes of sun and enjoy it even if it rains later. You can also drive with the top down in 40 F with butt warmers and windblocker and REALLY enjoy the car while the Readers Digest set drive their Ford and Nissan SUV's.

In London a C2 with Tip is all you need, but if you spend your time driving to Wales or Cornwall for the weekend even in winter then get a plain C4 with Tip and Sport Chrono.

If you don't need space then get the new Boxster S with 3.4l engine. If you like the feeling of more space, then stick with the 997.

As to rigidity you will notice very easily, but frankly it's not bad, but more importantly you will just not care. (I'm talking driving here not squeaking top. If you are a serious track rat it might be an issue, in which case buy a Miata and a GT3 or a 997S Cab and a 944 Turbo track car.

Enjoy!

Re: Did that

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I finally realised after overcoming a 25 year old trauma (rusting Triumph Spitfire with leaky roof and LOTS of duct tape) that I really loved the idea of driving a cab.

In a 997 Cab it's so easy that in the midwest you can drop your top faster than a cheerleader at a frat party ...

Too funny. I know what you mean on the trauma thing, LeChef...my first two cars were rusting MG Midgets...what kind of masochistic ---? Lucas/Girling rules!

Senator- you sound like the perfect candidate for the upcoming 997 Targa S.

Re: Did that

For the first time I went to a cabrio. It doesn't have the outward rear visibility of the coupes (odd rear side windows and the smaller rear window and the lower seating position). But, it is very neat if you can use the capabilities. I have only 4500 km on mine having it only about 2 weeks now in Europe. I am not finding a problem with squeeks or rattles compared to a coupe. It's pretty stiff. Recall, they designed it originally as a cab and then made the coupe.

Dan

Snow? In London? This guy has a Landrover for the one day it snows every year. With ordinary tires I'm not sure a 4wd 997 would be a great deal better than a 2 anyway. And I wouldnt take my baby out if they have been salting and gritting the roads.
    I drove a Maserati Gransport before deciding on the 997. IMHO it was awful. Nasty paddle shift gearbox, terrible ride and it just didnt inspire confidence in the handling department either. The interior was like climbing into a Nike training shoe. But the thing that put me off most was the fact that the saleaman offered me a significant discount before I had even sat in the car! Go figure.

Quote:
    senator said:
    A couple of questions.
    1. I'm finding it hard to get a test drive in an S Cabrio. Having got used to the amazing rigidity of the Coupe am I going to find the Cabrio very sloppy?
    2. I had a MY 2000 996 3.4 Cabrio which started rattling and squeaking badly. Has anyone had similar problems with the 997.
    3. I drive in central London every day which basically means crawling along in traffic so the Tip is my first choice - should I go for a C2 or C4?
    4. As a wild card I've been wondering about the 3.4l Boxster S. On paper it has about the same performance as my 2000 996 but should be more rigid as a result of the engine location and configuation. If I was to do that I might go for a manual and then switch my other car to an auto for the city grind. Any thoughts?

1. West London Porsche in Chiswick normally has a few demo Cabs to try. I myself had a C4S Cab for a weekend to play with before I got my car. Nothing sloppy about driving the Cab on public roads, I can't say you'd notice too much difference unless you went on a track anyway.
    2. Yes I had rattles but NONE to do with the roof! All rattles related to areas a coupe would have too.
    3. My personal comparison:
    a) C2 pluses - lighter steering, feels more agile, weighs a little less, looks better from the outside IMHO, bigger front boot storage, 5k cheaper!
    b) C4 pluses - better traction in wet/snow, love looking at those hips through the side mirrors, for some reason you can see the bonnet curves better from the C4 drivers-seat than the C2 (no idea why).
    4. Nah!

Overall I LOVE my Cab, best choice I made when buying my 997. Don't let people tell you that you won't have the roof down enough because of the bad weather here...total nonsense! I would estimate that since buying the car last Nov I have had the roof down for at least 3/4 of the times I have been out in it. Just remember to get the heated seats option for the winter when the sun's out! And with the roof up it feels just like a Coupe anyway, so two cars in one!

Went from a turbo coupe to a 997 S Cab, don't see myself going back to a Porsche coupe anytime soon. Wouldn't trade my 997 S Cab for a turbo coupe no way. Turbo cab though, yup.

Love the cabriolet. Tons of reasons why. Too many to list but 1st thing to come to mind,

I live in NY the only months I didn't use the open top was January & February and most of those days (w/ snow) I wasn't going to use a 997 anyway. 10 of 12 months I had the top down some or everyday and had some of THE nicest cab weather last October & November. With me if it's not raining the top is down even on cloudy days. I like being outdoors on nice days, when you're in the convertible on a nice day, doesn't matter how long you're in the car going to the beach or whatever because you're already enjoying the weather and the feeling of a twisty back country road w/ the top down is incredible. Matter of fact it's like having both the experience of a great sports car AND being outdoors at the same time. But every now and then say if it's 100 degrees and you're in stop and go traffic, just flip the switch w/ out having to pull over and the top is up and you're enjoying a different feel. When you take the car on a trip in the spring,summer or fall it's the closest thing to me to being on a motorcycle w/ out the danger of being on a bike. The wind, the sun, the feeling of not being in a closed in box. Worth it 100%.

The rear quarter visibility isn't as good as the coupe's but for the vast majority of time I'm in the car say 95% of the time I'm driving top down and in that case rear visibility is BETTER than the coupe's. Plus I think the cab w/ the top down is so much cooler looking than the coupe, especially from the rear.

I don't have any rattles but did have rattles w/ my 996 turbo's sun roof.

Best way to decide for yourself it to try and get a dealer to lend you a cab for a few hours.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Went from a turbo coupe to a 997 S Cab, don't see myself going back to a Porsche coupe anytime soon. Wouldn't trade my 997 S Cab for a turbo coupe no way. Turbo cab though, yup.

Love the cabriolet. Tons of reasons why. Too many to list but 1st thing to come to mind,

I live in NY the only months I didn't use the open top was January & February and most of those days (w/ snow) I wasn't going to use a 997 anyway. 10 of 12 months I had the top down some or everyday and had some of THE nicest cab weather last October & November. With me if it's not raining the top is down even on cloudy days. I like being outdoors on nice days, when you're in the convertible on a nice day, doesn't matter how long you're in the car going to the beach or whatever because you're already enjoying the weather and the feeling of a twisty back country road w/ the top down is incredible. Matter of fact it's like having both the experience of a great sports car AND being outdoors at the same time. But every now and then say if it's 100 degrees and you're in stop and go traffic, just flip the switch w/ out having to pull over and the top is up and you're enjoying a different feel. When you take the car on a trip in the spring,summer or fall it's the closest thing to me to being on a motorcycle w/ out the danger of being on a bike. The wind, the sun, the feeling of not being in a closed in box. Worth it 100%.

The rear quarter visibility isn't as good as the coupe's but for the vast majority of time I'm in the car say 95% of the time I'm driving top down and in that case rear visibility is BETTER than the coupe's. Plus I think the cab w/ the top down is so much cooler looking than the coupe, especially from the rear.

I don't have any rattles but did have rattles w/ my 996 turbo's sun roof.

Best way to decide for yourself it to try and get a dealer to lend you a cab for a few hours.

That's worth reading twice...so senator, there you go! 997 cabs are pure pleasure!

The problem is trying to describe driving the Cab on a beautiful day on a great road. It's impossible to capture & describe, you have to feel it for yourself. Know what I mean?

I love sports cars. But REALLY look forward to using my cab. Makes the boring days commuting to work something I look forward to and makes trips w/ my wife THE most fun PART of going away.

I know EXACTLY what you mean ...can't stop smiling just thinking about it.

Thanks guys. As I said I had a 996 Cab so I'm well versed in the pleasures of open top driving. For me so long as its not raining the roof will be down.

As for the Targa - I thought about that last time round and switched my 996 Cab for a 996 Targa. It rattled so badly that they took it back from me for very little loss. I was telling my current dealer about it and he said it was the same with every Targa they've sold. I asked him whether the 997 would be the same and he said he'd put money on it. Problem is apparently that the suspension set up it too stiff for that type of a roof mechanism as glass is very rigid - obviously more so than a canvas top which can flext with the body flex - and so it eventually will cause the mechanism to come loose particularly on the atrocious roads we have here in the UK.

Maybe PASM will solve the problem for the 997.

But for me I think I've made my mind up - 997S Cabrio it is. Only issue now is C2S or C4S and the usual problem with options and colour - any thoughts on colour? I'm thinking midnight blue switch to dark from my arctic silver.

Thanks again

Quote:
    senator said:
    Thanks guys. As I said I had a 996 Cab so I'm well versed in the pleasures of open top driving. For me so long as its not raining the roof will be down.

As for the Targa - I thought about that last time round and switched my 996 Cab for a 996 Targa. It rattled so badly that they took it back from me for very little loss. I was telling my current dealer about it and he said it was the same with every Targa they've sold. I asked him whether the 997 would be the same and he said he'd put money on it. Problem is apparently that the suspension set up it too stiff for that type of a roof mechanism as glass is very rigid - obviously more so than a canvas top which can flext with the body flex - and so it eventually will cause the mechanism to come loose particularly on the atrocious roads we have here in the UK.

Maybe PASM will solve the problem for the 997.

But for me I think I've made my mind up - 997S Cabrio it is. Only issue now is C2S or C4S and the usual problem with options and colour - any thoughts on colour? I'm thinking midnight blue switch to dark from my arctic silver.

Thanks again

Depends on what feel you like better 2WD or 4WD. Honestly I went w/ the 2WD because it was out first, didn't want to wait for the 4S and knew that I would be trading for the 4WD turbo cab when it came out so it made more sense then waiting 6 more months for a car I'd just trade in shortly anyway. But if it were now and plan to hold the car I'd choose the 4S. It's less Sporty than the C2S but I like the AWD and like the way the car looks compared to the S with it's wider rear fenders/ 305 rear tires etc.

Also, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the noticeable difference in cabin turbulence of the 997 Cab vs. the 996 cab.

Color is so subjective. My favorite is still the Artic w/ Black interior.

I also have a 997 cab, and love it. I would not even ever consider a coup with the name porshe on it. Put the top down, and enjoy life!

Had a BMW 3-series cab.
    Have a 986 (obviously) cab.
    Ordered a 997s cab.

I think the 997 cab will have more usable space than the 987; you get the back seat which will not cook your stuff, rather than the rear trunk which will cook your stuff (no wife's makeup in the rear trunk).

If you like top-down driving get the cab.
    If the additional noise, wind and sunburn bothers you get the coupe.

I own a 997 Cab and simply love it. My family talked me into going with a 997 Cab over a 997S and I simply love it. Driving a 997 is fun but driving a 997 Cab is wonderful. Now when it comes time to trade I will be looking for a 997S Cab w/X51. Now that would be awesome!

No sqeaks, rattles, or issues so far.

3,333 miles on my 997 C4 and no squeaks or rattles either (like bstew) to report. I'm very glad I got the Cab although I still feel the coupe has (slightly) better lines.

Go C4s Cab, no squeaks with mine. Also I am very happy with midnight blue. PSE and sport steering wheel, sport shifter are must-haves IMO.

one more...

Why not get a cab with a hard top?

I've ordered the hardtop.

Had the hard top, which used to come as standard, on the 996. I tried it the first winter and:

a) it rattled and squeaked more than the soft top
    b) infuriated me as even on a cold winter's morning I wanted the roof down and couldn't; and
    c) in my opinion ruins the look of the car.

Other than that pgl thanks for the suggestion (I don't mean that as badly as it sounds).

I suppose if you live somewhere like NJ (Scotty) where you really have the extremes of winter and summer, it makes perfect sense. Here in temperate London it makes no sense at all to me.

Peer - do you find you get a lot of reflections off the windscreen with the sand beige? I'm tempted by your colour combo but slightly put off by the idea of the light colour on the steering wheel and the dash top.

The secret they say at Zuffenhausen is to really cinch the hardtop down with the bolts. Hard.

Dan

Peer: Thanks for posting pics of your car. Midnight Blue/Beige interior is the combination I am thinking of. I notice you have white dials. Is that standard for an S or is that one of the interior options? I think it looks great. I've been playing with the car builder on the P-site and have chosen the white dials as an option in some of my scenarios.

I see you have PSE, what other options did you go for?

Thanks!

Quote:
    senator said:
    ...do you find you get a lot of reflections off the windscreen with the sand beige?

Never have before and I hope I don't start to notice a sand beige reflection in my windshield now that you mentioned it.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    senator said:
    ...do you find you get a lot of reflections off the windscreen with the sand beige?

Never have before and I hope I don't start to notice a sand beige reflection in my windshield now that you mentioned it.

I can see some right on the very picture you posted!
    The two-tone interiors were added exactly because of this issue: to prevent reflections on the windshield in bright-interior cars. You might want to look into them.

I've never driven a 911 cab, but a Boxster I once drove, with only 7000 miles (11,000 km) on it had rattles from the roof when going over expansion joints and bumps, and I decided then and there that I wasn't getting a convertible.

I'm beginning to be tempted by one again, but I'd love to hear more from others regarding roof noises after 5-10,000 miles.

My Boster is Lapis Blue with a Sand Beige interior and I've never noticed any bad reflections in the window.

2400 miles on the clock and no rattles or wind noise. The coupe is a little stiffer, but being able to drop the top in seconds is priceless. I have also read more post about annoying rattles in the coupe.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442162 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263028 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261314 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5770 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM