Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OWNING & DRIVING V8 VANTAGE...

Have had my V8 about 10 weeks now, and it has just been in for its free 1000 mile service, well they call it a service but it is more of a check over of the car, i had a few things for them to look at these included; squeaky front brakes, which they sorted by stripping down all the brakes and this has sorted the squeak! my sim card reader did not work from new and they sorted that too! thats it apart from an annoying rattle coming from behind passenger seat, which surprise surprise when they took it for a drive no rattle to be found! the car is going back to have this sorted next week, strange thing is the rattle only happens early morning and evening, in the day time when it is warm no rattle to be heard! it must be somthing that is affected by heat ie; rubber seal! apart from this car is perfect! and at the moment proving far better built than my Carrera S which went back to the dealer more than 10 times in 3 months! with problems ranging from bonnet alignment to replacment of rear window! think Porsche are trying to build too many cars and as a result are suffering in the build quality department! loving the Aston for not just the looks and noise, but the way other people react when they see it, even the scum bags that would normally shout out wanker, tosser or whatever if you drive a Porsche or Ferrari etc, seem to love the Aston!gett ing used to the handling, it corners very flat and ride comfort is somwhere between normal and sport mode in the Carrera! grip is amazing with no obvious understeer, unlike my Carrers S which given the chance loved to understeer! also Aston is a great cruiser over long distances, very quiet cabin, unless you floor it! have had the exhaust valves opened permanently, so from 0 revs it sounds incredible!! if anyone has any qustions let me know....

Re: OWNING & DRIVING V8 VANTAGE...

Soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!

One of the nicest cars on the planet!

beautiful car
    aston really got it right with this one

Nice car! How do you like the gearbox and brakes (aside from squeaks)? How does the steering response feel compared to 997?

not the most agressive, but the classiest car available...how about the power difference between the aston and the c2s?

Danish design at its best

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

And there was me thinking that was limited to Bang & Olufsen and streaky bacon.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful!

One of the nicest cars on the planet!

I could not agree more. Simply a beautiful looking and sounding car. Glad your enjoying it.

Grant.uk....that's a beautiful beast!
    What does AM recommend as far as 'Break-in' procedure?
    Post more pics if you have them please...what's the name of the paint color?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Do you mean pastry? .

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Nice car! How do you like the gearbox and brakes (aside from squeaks)? How does the steering response feel compared to 997?

Good question Grant. I would like to know that very much from a V8 owner's point of view.

When I went for the launch, I think it was last November, I fell in love with the way clutch and the gear shift felt.

To me it felt kind of on the meaty side which it actually required a little hard push on the padal to engage the gear, of course I never drove the car but it felt as though it would give a real feeling of satisfaction when you change the gears.

On the other hand when I test drove a Carrera S when it came out, last year I guess, the clutch and gear shift felt very soft and effortless to change to the point that sometime I felt I skipped the gear or not in gear rather.

Personally I liked the V8's.

Stunning car!!! Your a lucky man, and we do need more pics!

Suprised more of the Rennteam "collectors" dont have these in their garages, IMO the finest automobile out there right now. Not the fastest or the sportiest but def the most stunning....

Smart!

The colour is Tungsten Silver, with Phantom Grey Interior, they said to me not to red line it till i got over 500 miles, then free service at 1000miles, no i can drive it how i want...

Thank you for the update Grant.uk

How loud is the uncorked exhaust at low rpm and low throttle input compared to the normal exhaust?
    Can you still arrive home late at night without waking the neighbours?

Beautifull car Grant, please keep posting your ownership experencies, since the V8 vantage is still rather scarcely available your write-ups are very informative

Now does someone know a very good Aston Martin forum? something like an AstonM orientated rennteam ? Ron ?? maybe even an AstonM board here at rennteam?

Quote:
    WF said:
    Beautifull car Grant, please keep posting your ownership experencies, since the V8 vantage is still rather scarcely available your write-ups are very informative

Now does someone know a very good Aston Martin forum? something like an AstonM orientated rennteam ? Ron ?? maybe even an AstonM board here at rennteam?

I visit this site from time to time for Aston news.
    http://www.amoc.org/

Grant,

I drove a V8 two days ago, I have a deposit on the next iteration car. Dealer said 17 months, probably won't have a ceramic brake option. I currently have a Carrera S.

My biggest issues with the car were lack of visibility out of the car and the Alpine stereo system, which was incredibly boomy. The DB9 has a Linn system, but apparently that relationship broke down. Any comments appreciated.

booger,

I think the relationship with Linn broke down because there were a lot of problems with their system, particularly on the top of the line one which was a $5k option. Many owners still are not happy with it despite several fixes.

I have the upgraded 5.1 Alpine system on my V8 ($1.6K) and think it sounds very good. Assuming the car you were in had the same system (and not the standard one), the boomy quality you noted was probably a result of the setup (you can adjust the bass, subwoofer output level, etc).

Visibility out of the car takes some getting used to, particularly to the rear passenger side but it doesn't take long to adjust.

Temm,

The exhaust is note is not all that intrusive at low revs even with the valves bypassed. No problems waking the neighbors unless you are in the habit of entering your drive at high RPM!

By the way, my rattle is from passenger side dash. Other than that, only a few minor "defects." My car goes in for its 1000 mile look over tomorrow. I'm very happy with it.

John

Quote:
    Friscorays said:

Temm,

The exhaust is note is not all that intrusive at low revs even with the valves bypassed. No problems waking the neighbors unless you are in the habit of entering your drive at high RPM!

John

Thanks John, now how about making a video to show us exactly what you mean

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Friscorays said:

Temm,

John

Great idea! Please make a video! I have never heard the uncorked sound of the AMV8!

Quote:
    AM V8 said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Friscorays said:

Temm,

John

Great idea! Please make a video! I have never heard the uncorked sound of the AMV8!

You guys really live a sheltered life in the rain forest.

Quote:
    Grant said:

Interesting, I hadn't realized that the occasional brake squeal on turning into a bend was a standard feature until you said that.

I'm not Grant.UK, but if I may be permitted to give my views on your questions anyway:

- gearshift is acceptably heavy and precise

- brakes are not as confidence-inspiring as 997

- steering response is slow, numb, and has much less feedback than 997.

You didn't ask, but engine sound is to die for, even when not "uncorked".

I really wanted to hear Grant's response to the gear shift and clutch too because the car I drove had a very notchy heavy gear change (AM test car with 4000KM's) the clutch was very heavy too in comparison to my 997. In fact, driving for about an hour in Tokyo traffic, my left knee was killing me! In contrast I did 4 hours of driving yesterday - lots and lots of traffic yesterday and I can't wait to jump in the car today.

If the clutch / gearbox were lighter I would buy the car. I think I would get used to the driving position - not as nice as the 997 but very comfortable. Also, I have to say the sound is out of this world! It just knocks the socks of the the regular porsche tone.

The looks are amazing as well. There are way too many Porsches in Tokyo, the AM just stands out as something fresh and exciting! Also, my wife loves it!

Nice write up Grant Lucky me I have yet to experience any problems with my Vantage, which happen to be the first one delivered in Canada.

I found the Vantage's control weights to be perfect, and the porsche's to be a little light. Then again, I spend a lot of time at the gym.....

Steering feedback is indeed a little leaden at low speeds, but at the speeds I drive at, it felt fine.

Grant (and others!)

Loved the pics!!!!!

I'm currently going through the options list for the V8 and was interested in your thoughts?

- How does the Valve Bypass effect the fuel economy of the V8? I know it would be worse....but just how much worse?
    - Also did you get the Integrated Phone (GSM) option or the Bluethooth preparation? If you got either....how well have hey worked?
    - The 18" vs the 19". I like the look of the 18" wheels, but wondered if you had tested the 18" back to back with the 19". How did they both ride?

Thanks for all your help!

not sure about fuel economy with valves open, seems ok, getting about 15mpg but at the moment this is 100 per cent town driving! went for the intergrated phone option, have only used it a few times, seems to be good. car will look silly on 18 inch wheels! not filling the archs!

Thanks Grant.

I have been looking on http://www.amoc.org/ and found this pic.

Great Shot! Am trying to find the full video.

photoshop....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764406 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436553 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261063 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257986 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82655 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876928 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808998 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM