Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone brought rattling roof back to dealer for fixing yet?

My 987s' passenger side's roof rattling is getting more and more audible and noticeable. My dealer is asking me to save it till the 1st service at 5000 km and I have 3000 km now. Has anyone with similar rattling brought it into the dealer yet with good results? My previous experience on my SLK 350 2005 (metal roof rattling) after the 5th time going into the dealer still could not be fixed. After 3.5 months, I am quite frustrated and think that I might have had enough of open top fun and have decided that my next car is definitely the cayman or the 997 coupe. No way am I gonna mess with this rattling deal again as it is simply a waste of time. My 987s is for everyday use really so I don't wanna leave it at my dealer for a while to figure out where the noise is coming from. Noises are hard to fix according to the technician but they will and MUST try.

Re: Anyone brought rattling roof back to dealer for fixing yet?

I *love* my Boxster Boxster and dropping my top for roadster fun. But, the rattling from my top sucks the fun out of driving unless the top is down. My next car will also be a coupe.

Unfortunately, all cabriolet tops rattle.

Matt

Even for Porsche? I was grossly disappointed with the SLK 350 bought in 2005 as even a metal roof rattles and it reminds me of just another Chrysler Crossfire (afterall DCAG's common platform). However, it is hard to imagine the SL 55 AMG and all SLs convertible to rattle. I wonder if the Targa will rattle though I have been hearing from the Far East (HK) side that the Cayman is having a bit of a banging hatch and more than a few have been taken back to the dealer for this problem. I would definitely feel worst if I had paid 130K USD (that's how much it cost and my boxy was 120K) for the roof to have the hatch rattle on me. The rattling hatch may make the "boxster with a roof" argument more convincing now. The last time I was in a 997s coupe nothing rattles and as solid as a rock.

Matt have you taken it back to the dealer to fix it? My SLK 350 despite taken back to the dealer for many times just still rattled in the end so I gave up. They tried everything to no avail.

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:Unfortunately, all cabriolet tops rattle.

SOME cabriolet tops rattle

wtsnet yeah... I was unlucky. It varies I guess and it's a luck of the draw. I hope the next time I bring it in they can fix it up. Only just trying to comfort myself but my SLK 350's rattling metal roof kindda haunts me.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:Unfortunately, all cabriolet tops rattle.

SOME cabriolet tops rattle

Yes, Yes, I know. Never use certainties like all, every, etc. Hey, if your top doesn't rattle, congrats!

Maybe I'm just tempting fate with mine!

Re: Anyone brought rattling roof back to dealer for fixing y

Have you been able to locate the specific area where the rattle is? Is it an actual rattle (i.e., "rattle rattle rattle") or is it like a squeek (i.e., "squeaky squeak squeaky squeak"), or a rub sound (e.g., "groan, grub" or "guncha guncha")?

If it makes you feel better, rattles and oil leaks are often part of the ownership experience

Are you certain its not the seat belt claspse rattling on the side of the passenger sea, or the wind deflector (maybe a TSB for rubber seal on this shortly) or even just the seat back too close to the roll over hoop ??

This is a sports car so you are going to have rattles no matter what, even if it was a Cayman. I spent alot of time worrying about the rattles in my previous M3 and eventually gave up. Some of them even went away by themseleves. For the Boxster, one common source of the rattle is the wire harness in the door. Life is too short, don't worry about rattles...

Percymon. I tried to hold on to the seat belt claspse and it was still squeaky. aml161, I think it is a squeaky squeaky squeaky rubbing type noise. I do have a wind deflector on but ain't sure if it's because of that but I tried to push the seat all the way forward to ensure no seat rubbing so it has to be some rubber rubbing issues. The good news is that at least I ain't getting any leak (HK's June and July are months of typhoons and it rains like hell). My cousin had decided he had had enough by buying a Cayman S and never buying another convertible. His experience (I was picking up his car together with him on day 1) was buying a brand new MINI COOPER CONVERTIBLE last year out of the showroom (first to have it in HK so to speak) and the day of delivery was a rainy day. He drove out and I was sitting beside him and I sensed a few drops of water falling onto my head. Then we realized that the roof was leaking... now that hurts. This is a brand new MINI convertible and one year after, it still leaks.

If you're sure the top itself is squeaking, then it's possible that the top is too taut. It's a pretty simple repair actually if you're mechanically inclined. It involves adjusting bolts to which two cables on each side are attached. Also, lubing all of the rubber bits and pieces inside the top helps.

To ensure that it's done correctly (that the left and right sides are perfectly aligned), it's probably best to take it to the dealer. Otherwise, if you're comfortable with tinkering around in the top, take a stab at it. The aforementioned bolts are accessible when the clamshell is fully opened.

My 03 Boxster top does not rattle, but my 05 does...go figure!

turbokuo... what? That just doesn't make any sense. Presumably Porsche claimed that the roof has been improved. Well I saw a 1998 996 carrera cabrio and it had plastic windows and it looked terrible. You couldn't see a thing and it was so blurry. An improved cabrio shouldn't rattle but I ain't sure. I guess with so many moving parts, rattling maybe a fact of life and if you get that that doesn't, you are lucky. 4 Caymans were sitting at the dealers for rear hatch rattles and it is supposed to be a COUPE. Guess just have to live with it.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    turbokuo... what? That just doesn't make any sense. Presumably Porsche claimed that the roof has been improved. Well I saw a 1998 996 carrera cabrio and it had plastic windows and it looked terrible. You couldn't see a thing and it was so blurry. An improved cabrio shouldn't rattle but I ain't sure. I guess with so many moving parts, rattling maybe a fact of life and if you get that that doesn't, you are lucky. 4 Caymans were sitting at the dealers for rear hatch rattles and it is supposed to be a COUPE. Guess just have to live with it.

Ya, 03-04 Boxster where the last remake in the 986 series, so they finally got it right with top. I have not rattles or squeaks and have 49K miles on the car. My GF jumped into my new 05 S and ask me why does the new one rattle...embarassing.

turbokuo what a bummer... but that's kindda not logical. If they had it right and went from double lining to now triple lining, it should even be better so how could it be wrong again. yeah kindda embarassing to have a Porsche that rattles did the dealer fix it? Well ya know these days anything can happen at Porsche and people would still line up and put down their money. I still in my 2 cents feel that the Cayman project is an ingenious marketing scheme and basically Porsche can make selected groups change their beliefs. What I truly think is that it can protrude different attributes that defy normal logic from making a coupe more expensive than a convertible and renaming the Boxster as the Cayman cabrio. I guess kindda just have to live with it.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    I still in my 2 cents feel that the Cayman project is an ingenious marketing scheme and basically Porsche can make selected groups change their beliefs. What I truly think is that it can protrude different attributes that defy normal logic from making a coupe more expensive than a convertible and renaming the Boxster as the Cayman cabrio.

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to talk with the people at PAG who came up with the coupe-more-expensive-as-the-roadster idea. Watch, in the future, the Cayman will be used as a case study in marketing textbooks.

So amazing, Porsche!

Matt

Rattling roof: 06 has different roof close sequence to 05?

Interestingly, I have an 06 car on loan at the moment. I've noticed that the roof mechanism has a slightly different close sequence to mine.

On mine (05) just after you close the latch, the windows come up.

On the 06, after you close the latch it seems that the roof does a final tensioning before raising the windows.

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:
    Quote:
    ptcja said:
    I still in my 2 cents feel that the Cayman project is an ingenious marketing scheme and basically Porsche can make selected groups change their beliefs. What I truly think is that it can protrude different attributes that defy normal logic from making a coupe more expensive than a convertible and renaming the Boxster as the Cayman cabrio.

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to talk with the people at PAG who came up with the coupe-more-expensive-as-the-roadster idea. Watch, in the future, the Cayman will be used as a case study in marketing textbooks.

So amazing, Porsche!

Matt

Matt, if you have studied classical micro-economics, you must have came across a chapter on PRICE DISCRIMINATION and PAG has just given micro textbooks a new case study on 3rd degree price discrimination = sales of identical goods or services transacted at different prices from the same provider. It's not exactly identical but they are quite similar. Case aside, I do like the Cayman S but I just find the pricing structure something that I find puzzling to myself.

wtsnet, I have a MY 06 but I don't notice any tightening but maybe I am not sure what you mean.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Matt, if you have studied classical micro-economics, you must have came across a chapter on PRICE DISCRIMINATION and PAG has just given micro textbooks a new case study on 3rd degree price discrimination = sales of identical goods or services transacted at different prices from the same provider. It's not exactly identical but they are quite similar. Case aside, I do like the Cayman S but I just find the pricing structure something that I find puzzling to myself.

I'm confused in your logic.

I cannot see how Porsche committed price discrimination. You said it yourself that price discrimination = sales of identical goods or services transacted at different prices from the same provider. Porsche would be conducting price discrimination if it sold Boxsters simultaniously at Cayman price levels while selling them at the old price, too.

Since the Cayman is not 'identical' (terms needed to satisfy price discrimination) to the Boxster, Porsche is doing nothing wrong. You even said 'it's not exactly identical.

However, I could be completely wrong.

Matt you are right. It is not an exact case. In the real world it is hard to find perfect example but Lexus/Toyota has been constantly cited as cases for business school studies. Many will find Toyota's Camry to be a platform very similar to what's being offered across the road by Lexus with (some differentiation) a different price tag. This is usually used in textbooks as exemplifying price discrimination. However, to be EXACT, you would have to have 2 identical bottle of wine with different labels to be selling at different price to capture the area under the entire demand curve.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Matt you are right. It is not an exact case. In the real world it is hard to find perfect example but Lexus/Toyota has been constantly cited as cases for business school studies. Many will find Toyota's Camry to be a platform very similar to what's being offered across the road by Lexus with (some differentiation) a different price tag. This is usually used in textbooks as exemplifying price discrimination. However, to be EXACT, you would have to have 2 identical bottle of wine with different labels to be selling at different price to capture the area under the entire demand curve.

Cool. I love learning new things...

So, which line is the demand curve again? I haven't had eco since Spring 03. just kidding...

Matt

Matt so an aside... which side did you put your foot or $$$ down this friday : Argentina or Germany. All my friends are buying Argentina but I put 200 bugs HKD = 25 bugs USD on Germany. I also bought another 200 bugs HKD for Germany to be the champion. Boy my father to celebrate got us some German Brockwurst and frankfurters and they were crispy as hell and FANTASTIC... Germans have their ways on cars and sausages and beer.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Matt so an aside... which side did you put your foot or $$$ down this friday : Argentina or Germany. All my friends are buying Argentina but I put 200 bugs HKD = 25 bugs USD on Germany. I also bought another 200 bugs HKD for Germany to be the champion. Boy my father to celebrate got us some German Brockwurst and frankfurters and they were crispy as hell and FANTASTIC... Germans have their ways on cars and sausages and beer.

Germany. They have done much better than anticipated. Even my German coworkers agree. Besides, it's really exciting rooting for country where the WM is taking place. The excitment in this country is palpable. I love it!

wish I am there to join you and the Germans have outdone themselves and much better than expected.

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    wtsnet, I have a MY 06 but I don't notice any tightening but maybe I am not sure what you mean.

The roof motors whir (to tighten the roof a little more?)immediately after you close the roof latch but before the windows go up again.

This doesn't happen on my old car. It would be interesting to know when and why this modification was made.

Wtsnet,

Does the 06 roof rattle?

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Wtsnet,

Does the 06 roof rattle?

Actually *something* was rattling this evening, though it might just have been the seat-belt buckle. I will let you know tomorrow!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774875 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440389 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262089 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84843 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879427 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814264 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM