Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

audi

audi a6 new

Re: audi

How do you manage to get all those pictures in advance?????

Nice car.

J.Seven

In Antwort auf:
    J.Seven said:
    How do you manage to get all those pictures in advance?????

Nice car.

J.Seven

A6 pictures are official. Presentation in Geneva.

best
    sr

I'm not an Audi fan but I have to say that this looks great IMO. Interior is a bit spartan as usual in Audi but overall I think it looks very good, like the new Mercs. I wish I could say the same thing for BMW which always has been my personal preference of the three due to them being more "driver's" cars than the others

I'm just the opposite. I like most Audi designs, especially the TT, but this new styling trend we see with the prominent grill and receding fenders reminds me of the Dodge Ram pickups. Probably because I see so many of them here in Texas. The Dodge does have some similar styling elements and I can't get the image out of my mind when I see these new Audi's.

Now that you mention it, there is a resemblance to Dodge,

The nose is going to have to grow on me. I'm also not convinced that MMI is an improvement over the old fashioned dashboards. I'm going to have to stroll by the dealer this summer.

I meant the Dodge Ram pickup truck actually. That's what I see a lot of.

Of course, after all doesn't Walker the Texas Ranger drive one up and down all day chasing the villains around there?

MMI works very very well, so easy to use, better than probably any other stock nav. sysstem on the market. I love the new A6, I see a lot of the Nuvolari concept's influence in the new A6's design. Hopefully they have improved the steering for more feedback, as all current Audi's are quite numb in that department

And as with all cars, if you have the wrong rims, your'e ride can go from looking really really good, to really really UGLY.
    EXAMPLE:

He doesn't anymore but certainly used to, just south of Dallas. Lots of trucks in Texas.

You're right @AMG without the right rims the car looks ugly.

Example how it has to look.

Not bad, not bad at all!

To me, it looks a lot like every other audi out there. I guess i'll have to wait and see what the wagon version looks like...i always do like those better.

Also, i suppose the next RS6(a car that should be built) will look better; i.e. more aggressive.

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    Hopefully they have improved the steering for more feedback, as all current Audi's are quite numb in that department.

My wife just bought a 2004 A4 Quattro that I think steers better than her previous 2001 BMW 330Xi.

YMMV

Riiiiiiight, but as you push the car the steering becomes lighter and the front pushes wide, don't even think about doing high speed cornering.

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    Riiiiiiight, but as you push the car the steering becomes lighter and the front pushes wide, don't even think about doing high speed cornering.

Have you actually driven them both?

I have driven an M3 and an S4 back to back. So I guess you could say my opinion is kind of reliable?

I think you are both right, the Xi's are know to be horrible at it, so Mike is right when comparing the 330iX and A4 Quattro. But most BMW's are RWD which steer much better then the Audi's more numb steering. ANd especially in the A4 becuase they are either FWD or Quattros's such as the S4 and their AWD system is a permanent 50:50 torque split Torsen, so the front wheels always share 50% of the torque at the same time of steering too hence the less feel and quickiness. So an rwd E46-M3 will steer better even though not as good as the previous E36-M3.

I can't help but think that the A6 looks like a SKODA in this pic.

Quote:
    AMGeater said:
    I have driven an M3 and an S4 back to back. So I guess you could say my opinion is kind of reliable?

A stock M3 can push pretty horribly as well. Just keep in mind that those two cars in particular require very different driving styles. I'm not denying that the S4 pushes, but to extract the most out of it, you cannot drive it like an M3. Furthermore, an A4 is not an S4, and a 330xi is not a M3.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    AMGeater said:

A stock M3 can push pretty horribly as well. Just keep in mind that those two cars in particular require very different driving styles. I'm not denying that the S4 pushes, but to extract the most out of it, you cannot drive it like an M3. Furthermore, an A4 is not an S4, and a 330xi is not a M3 .

Ok, I never said any of this. And just for your'e info I have driven an A4 1.8T quattro to pretty much the same extent as the S4 I had driven as well. I also had a 330i as a loaner car before, so I think I know what Im talking about. Nice Try.

I haven't put words into your mouth at all, just to make that part clear.

Sorry, but when did the 330i enter in the discussion? AFAIK, we're talking about the 330xi. And my comments are meant to augment, not deny your findings. You can think you know what you're talking about all you wish...I don't really care.

The 330i became apart of the discussion because I chose to include it in what I said. I really don't care honestly. Audi's will handle like Audi's, and BMW's will handle like BMW's. Although things can change at times with new models and what not.

Hopefully this servotronic steering system will help the A6 out, and maybe the rest of the Audi range. I wonder how well the Cayennes servotronic steering works? Thats a whole nother discussion for another time.

Quote:
    AMGeater said:

Maybe it's a mere matter of symantics. If you mean the BMW has a more lively feel from the wheel, including a big dose of kick-back, then I agree. What I said was that my wife's A4 (B6 chassis) steered better. That is, when one cranks in some steering input, the Audi does what was asked of it better. If "numb" means less kick-back and nervousness, then so much the better.

Now, I'm going to call in an air strike from Car and Driver's May, 2003 issue, which has been waiting on station, orbiting at 10,000 ft on the web: (Click here).

My favorite passage (Re:S4 vs. M3) is: "Out on the twisty roads, the S4 quickly became the favorite. The firm Recaro bucket keeps the driver in place without straining. The stability control is so subtle in its operation that you never feel it intrude (unless you've made a big mistake). Chassis dynamics are simply superb. As you brake deep into a turn, the S4 puts its belly to the ground and maintains amazing stability as you pick up the arc toward the exit and squeeze on the power. Roll angles are tightly controlled. The shocks keep body motions on a short leash. You can feel the tires scratching and straining for grip as the front and rear electronic differential locks respond to the V-8 torque. The Quattro's stern discipline keeps redistributing the driving forces, allowing you to get the throttle open early yet cling confidently to your intended line. This is a car that'll work with you! Few sporting cars are this open in their communication, and so disinclined to mischief. Of this trio, the S4 is in a class by itself, scoring the full 10 points in our handling rating, two above the M3 and three above the C32. It also earned a 10 in fun to drive, decisively above the others."

I'm not a BMW basher. One can see from my sig that I've owned some old style BMW hot rods. There's been a BMW in our garage for over 30 years (including the first M3) up until recently. I don't have any reason to make up stuff about them. I also have owned a few Audi Quattros in the past, including the very first Quattro Coupe in '82.

So, I agree with Car and Driver when they say about the M3: "How could a legend finish second here, back from first place by a wide six-point gap? The short answer is, competition keeps everybody honest, even legends. Audi came up with a better answer."

You may not like Car and Driver reviews, but I trust them to align more closely with my sensibilities than any other US car rag. Their writers have more degreed engineers and formerly or currently licensed competition drivers in their ranks than any other magazine of which I'm aware. That's enough for me.

YMMV

#1, sorry to say but the guys at C&D are numb nuts. I never read American car publications, they suck. Perioid. I read CAR, Autocar, a little of what I can understand in Auto Motor und Sport. Why do I read them? Why do you think they're better than the Americans? 1st, they are not mesmorized by the cars that they drive, they drive the cars they test to their true absolute limit(Americans can only dream doing that). Not to mention they push cars on some of the most challenging roads and RACE TRACKS in the world to explore just how much these cars can handle. They are not biased, and they are brutaly honest.

I really could care lesss about anything "Car and Driver" has to say about the M3 vs. S4, because I have done my own comparo. and KNOW that the S4 handles like crap next to the M3. What the C&D guys probably forgot to say(and I'll readily admit this), the M3 has a brutal sport baised ride, whilst the S4 has a more comfort/ sporty biased ride. Im not saying the S4 is a crap car, Im saying that compared to the M3 it has CRAP handaling, PERIOD. Take it how you want, but you can't convince me of anything different.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762028 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435149 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260399 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257471 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80909 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872017 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM