Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tire pressure monitoring system ?

I am thinking to add the TPM to my GT3 and I have some questions.

1. Is it bullet-proof?
    2. Where are those sensors located? Inside the tires?
    3. Is it transferable to another set of wheels?
    4. Is it heavy?
    5. Tire pressure and temp monitoring?

Thanks...

Re: Tire pressure monitoring system ?

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

I am thinking to add the TPM to my GT3 and I have some questions.

1. Is it bullet-proof?
    2. Where are those sensors located? Inside the tires?
    3. Is it transferable to another set of wheels?
    4. Is it heavy?
    5. Tire pressure and temp monitoring?

Thanks...

I think they are standard in the '07 models( but verify)
    1.No
    2.Yes. And the transmitters are in the wheel wells nearby.
    3.Yes, but you can just get 4 new sensors for the other set of wheels ( winter tires etc, )
    4.A couple of ounces each
    5.Yes
    You're welcome

Just get it. If you lose air in a tire you have a good chance you'll ruin the low-profile tire before you notice it by other means.

Thanks for the info...

do you think this thing will affect the performance of the car? becos of the extra weight in the wheels?

how heavy is the total weight? maybe 1-2 kg?

any pic of the system or sensors would be great...

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

I HIGHLY recomend this option. Allows you to keep your presures right on the mark with having to get on all fours everytime, lets you know when your tires have reached optimum tire temperature/pressure, and lets you monitor the pressures in real-time while on street or track. And remeber its not retrofitable, so if you don't get it form factory you won't be able to get it later if you regret it.

I believe this are it:

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Thanks for the info...

do you think this thing will affect the performance of the car? becos of the extra weight in the wheels?

how heavy is the total weight? maybe 1-2 kg?

If you are concerned about performance,
    get the sensors and go on a diet.

There are after-market systems you can install, but, of course, require a small, separate display unit.

It's worth it. It may be standard on the 2007's, as required by U.S. law. At rest, before running the car, you can get a measure of whether or not the tires are at pressure by using the computer control to enter the system.

The pressure readings that are normally displayed by the computer give reliable readings of the tire pressure only when the car is in motion.

Finally, you would get a warning if the pressure falls too low, thus preventing damage to a very expensive wheel.

Most of this is explained in the owners manual, although in a somewhat roundabout way.

Jim

I HIGHLY recommend the TPMS for all 997 owners. I have found that the 19" rims are so sensitive to road surface conditions that I have to leave up the TPMS display on the tach all the time just to be sure a tire isn't going flat or something. It works extremely well. If you're going to drive fast, you need to know your tired are good to go.

Dan

What law?

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    It may be standard on the 2007's, as required by U.S. law.

What US law?

Re: What law?

I tracked my car this week end... as temperature was raising I lowered the tyre pressure, soon to have my TPMS indicating a tyre puncture!!
    Very annoying!!!!!!!

Sorry about that. I should have stated regulation, not law. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (that's a mouthful) issues regulations regarding what "safety standards" and "safety equipment" must be standard on cars sold in the U.S. I had read somewhere that some form of tire pressure monitoring was to be mandated for all new cars sold in the U.S. for the 2007 model year.

I would have gotten it even if that didn't happen, as it's a handy device for ensuring that I don't bend a wheel due to insufficient air pressure.

Jim

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    It may be standard on the 2007's, as required by U.S. law.

What US law?

It's a regulation issued by the National Highway Traffice Safety Administration, and here's the link to it (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/prelimsum.html?name=). It becomes mandatory on October 31, 2006. It basically states that the driver must be given a warning if the tire pressure drops 25% or more below some predetermined level.

Jim

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I tracked my car this week end... as temperature was raising I lowered the tyre pressure, soon to have my TPMS indicating a tyre puncture!!
    Very annoying!!!!!!!

I think that is a mistake to take out air when the tires start to heat up. The TP pressures recommended for the car are based on COLD temperatures,--not driven yet. Of course they will go up when you start to drive the car. You should not let air out to 'compensate' for the normal physics happening within the tires.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Very annoying!!!!!!!

I think that is a mistake to take out air when the tires start to heat up. The TP pressures recommended for the car are based on COLD temperatures,--not driven yet. Of course they will go up when you start to drive the car. You should not let air out to 'compensate' for the normal physics happening within the tires.

Dan

This was when driving HARD all day long on a track under hot conditions. You have to do that other wise your tyres will wear off so quickly and they loose grip too, as the pressure goes up to about 3.2 bars!!!!!!
    I would of course not do it on normal road use..

I lower my tyre pressure every time I track it.
    The one time I didn't do it, the pressure shot all the way to 2.8 and 3.8 front and rear!
    Understeer, understeer and of course, dangerous.

Now, I take at least 0.5 bar from each tyre and maybe even a bar when I know I'm gonna track it all day.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    The one time I didn't do it, the pressure shot all the way to 2.8 and 3.8 front and rear!

Now, I take at least 0.5 bar from each tyre and maybe even a bar when I know I'm gonna track it all day.

So is that mean the TPM is not good for tracking?

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

So is that mean the TPM is not good for tracking?

Quite the contrary. Anything that can provide critical information without a lot of additional work on your part has to be appreciated. I never once had to get out and check my tire pressures while in Europe. The TPMS did all the work. That's essentially why the USA went to making that feature mandatory on new cars. People are pretty much lazy about checking TPs periodically and the TPMS takes care of what I consider a weekly requirement to monitor TPs, no matter what you're driving.

Dan

Have you seen the TV commercial...

...with Mario Andretti persuading people to check their tire pressures?

I'll contend that 70% of all American cars on the road have at least one tire that's 5 pounds low... just MHO. Maybe I'm being generous...?

TPMS is critical for the US market. I can't believe that it's taken this long to mandate it. Now, for those of us who own a tire pressure gauge and know how to use it... <g>

It seems that there are still a lot of issues with the TPMS technology. It has to get smarter before it's generally accepted, even by enthusiasts.

-don

Re: Have you seen the TV commercial...

I read some of the patent data on the TPMSs out there and I think Porsche went with the better system.

Dan

Dan, I take it...

...that you're back home. Feeling like you left something important behind in Stuttgart? <g>

What's the projected delivery date for the fully-broken-in blue baby?

-don

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:

TPMS is critical for the US market. I can't believe that it's taken this long to mandate it.

I don't get it. What's wrong with the current system? A fellow motorist tells the operator-with-a-flat to put air in the tire. Or the operator-with-a-flat finally notices at the self-serve he needs air?

How many people die as a result of poorly inflated tires? Ten? Twenty a year? Causes a hundred non-fatal accidents? I guess, YET AGAIN, it's the insurance money/profits which has to enforce this regulation.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    dstrimbu said:

TPMS is critical for the US market. I can't believe that it's taken this long to mandate it.

I don't get it. What's wrong with the current system? A fellow motorist tells the operator-with-a-flat to put air in the tire. Or the operator-with-a-flat finally notices at the self-serve he needs air?

How many people die as a result of poorly inflated tires? Ten? Twenty a year? Causes a hundred non-fatal accidents? I guess, YET AGAIN, it's the insurance money/profits which has to enforce this regulation.

While I like having the TPMS, and I use it frequently, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the insurance industry and their expensive lobbying campaign in Washington, pushing whatever is the latest on their agenda.

Jim

I believe that TPMS were mandated due to the tire blowout problem causing rolling overs primarily on SUV's. Underpressure tires are a potenial cause of rollovers along with the higher center-of-gravity that SUV's have.

Quote:
    1st997 said:
    I believe that TPMS were mandated due to the tire blowout problem causing rolling overs primarily on SUV's. Underpressure tires are a potenial cause of rollovers along with the higher center-of-gravity that SUV's have.

Seems about right. The bill in Congress said "all sport utility vehicles are required to have TPMS, blah blah blah... " and some lobbied/bribed legislator removed the words "sport utility" from the wording of the bill at the last minute before the vote was taken.

Re: Dan, I take it...

Quote:
    dstrimbu said:
    ...that you're back home. Feeling like you left something important behind in Stuttgart? <g>

What's the projected delivery date for the fully-broken-in blue baby?

-don

Don,--Porsche says 8-10 weeks worst case to cover themselves. I can't imagine it taking over a month, if that.

Dan

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    [How many people die as a result of poorly inflated tires? Ten? Twenty a year? Causes a hundred non-fatal accidents? I guess, YET AGAIN, it's the insurance money/profits which has to enforce this regulation.

While I like having the TPMS, and I use it frequently, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the insurance industry and their expensive lobbying campaign in Washington, pushing whatever is the latest on their agenda.

Jim

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the insurance industry, do not knowingly have shares in an insurance company, and like most consumers think that the one thing that insurance companies insure best of all are their own profits.

But .......... if you analyze the above sentence, if the insurance industry runs an expensive lobbying campaign in Washington, then only because it is "profitable", otherwise they would just pay out that money in dividends instead.

If it is profitable, then only because it results in the companies having to pay out less money to cover policy holders' claims.

If they pay out less money to pay claims, then only because fewer people have accidents resulting in deaths, injuries, damaged vehicles.

Is that outcome really such a bad outcome for the consumer? I don't think so.

Now you wouldn't get me arriving at the same conclusion if insurance companies were to lobby for all cars to be fitted with speed limiters or a few other bright ideas that they might come up with!

Quote:
    fritz said:

If they pay out less money to pay claims, then only because fewer people have accidents resulting in deaths, injuries, damaged vehicles.

Is that outcome really such a bad outcome for the consumer? I don't think so.

Now you wouldn't get me arriving at the same conclusion if insurance companies were to lobby for all cars to be fitted with speed limiters or a few other bright ideas that they might come up with!

Sure safety is always welcomed. Like you're suggesting about speed limiters... , insurance lobbies would love to pass a law lowering the speed limit to 50 on all US highways!

Since they can't do this they "chip away" at everything else to INCREASE PROFITS to shareholders, not give better service or cheaper rates.

The height of our dash and hence the feel of the cockpit and look of the car has been made higher so pedstrians are safer when they get hit on a street corner! It bothers me that my European-styled Carrera is feeling more and more American (high dashboard) because of this "safety feature."

I wonder how many --- lives--- this higher profile dash has saved? Perhaps it is intended to result in an insignicicant number of shorter hospital stays because of slightly less injury received by pedestrians hitting the higher dash-equipped cars. Better than nothing as far as insurance companies are concerned. Meanwhile we're driving around in cars that look like those Audi TTs or VW beetles!!

Like the mandatory daytime driving lights BS, insurance companies will just keep trying to get their "safety" regulations passed. No matter how effective they really are.

Sorry, rant over... .

By pushing their latest agenda, I meant that the insurers do want to save money and increase their profits. The question to me then becomes what price do I have to pay - in costs and in personal inconvenience - so that they can increase their profits? If they offered an incentive to cut their rates for those buying such a system, then fine. I would have gotten it anyway, as I don't want to damage my expensive wheels, which to me is a reason why the TPMS is worth it. But for those with inexpensive wheels? I guess that I'd like to see the data that the government regulators used to justify mandating the TPMS requirement.

The same issue was made with air bags, where the U.S. government forced manufacturers to provide air bags when they still hadn't worked out all the bugs. I had both driver and passenger air bags on a '92 Ford Taurus SHO that I owned. The things never worked right when I tail-ended a car - I did about $2,500 in damage to my car, really pushed in the front bumper, and the thing never went off. Lucky me as that fact - that the air bag failed to deploy - saved me from getting an inattentive driving ticket from the state police.

Jim

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    I would have gotten it anyway, as I don't want to damage my expensive wheels, which to me is a reason why the TPMS is worth it. But for those with inexpensive wheels? I guess that I'd like to see the data that the government regulators used to justify mandating the TPMS requirement.

Just assuming that legislators mandated TPMS due to honorable motives , and not because of insurance industry lobbying, I would be very surprised if they were thinking in terms of reducing cost of damage to either expensive or inexpensive wheels. I would be inclined to allow that they are aware that most drivers do not check their tire pressures as often as they should, and even conscientious drivers can be surprised by a tire deflating gradually due to picking up road debris. The resultant accident can cost lives or limbs, and not just damage to wheel rims.

I had a rear blowout once on the Autobahn while overtaking a truck - fortunately I was only doing about 95 mph because it was a restricted-speed section . My lane suddenly seemed very narrow with a crash-barrier on my left side and a truck on my right side, and the car's steering response was, er, sub-standard . The tire had torn so badly and so suddenly that I didn't even think I'd make it to the hard shoulder after braking the car down to pull over behind the truck.
    Possible damage to an alloy rim was not my primary worry at that point .
    My real point is, TPMS might have given me a few seconds advance warning that my tire was losing pressure due to having picked up a screw from the road.

Since TPMS is manadatory, manufacturers produce them in large quantities and have an incentive to get costs down to a minimum. If the system were purely optional, those "enlightened" drivers who specced it would have to pay an inflated "optional extra" price, so you could count yourselves lucky in the USA that your legislators have got you a potentially life-saving extra feature without you even being aware of having paid for it.

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    The same issue was made with air bags, where the U.S. government forced manufacturers to provide air bags when they still hadn't worked out all the bugs. I had both driver and passenger air bags on a '92 Ford Taurus SHO that I owned. The things never worked right when I tail-ended a car - I did about $2,500 in damage to my car, really pushed in the front bumper, and the thing never went off. Lucky me as that fact - that the air bag failed to deploy - saved me from getting an inattentive driving ticket from the state police.

If you just did $2,500 damage to your car, I'm assuming that you were not injured. In that case, your airbags should not have gone off, because that itself would have increased the cost of the repair and - more importantly potentially injured you and/or your front passenger, particularly if you were not buckled up.
    Car manufacturers spend millions "tuning" the systems igniting the airbag charges, to ensure that they only go off when really necessary. Just imagine your airbags igniting if drove over a speed-bump too fast - it could become the cause of an accident instead of your lifesaver.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM