Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo - first short impressions

1. turbo lag still exists, definetely better than 996 Turbo
    2. Tiptronic S requires a different driving/acceleration style, needs adaptation, may be frustrating at first
    3. Tiptronic S works great with Sport Chrono active but requires a different driving/throttle style (compared to manual) to profit from it
    4. Tiptronic S launch from standstill has been "de-tuned", it isn't as spontaneous as it was "before" if you fully press the throttle
    5. as soon as the car moves and the boost kicks in, the car becomes a weapon, very dangerous for unexperienced drivers
    6. car feels lights, same feel as 997 Carrera S but Turbo tends to more curve "hungry", it "turns" into the curve, a very dynamic and sporty drive feel but may pose a challenge for non-experienced drivers
    7. steering feels almost same as 997 Carrera S, incl. the "lightiness", demanding a careful and experienced driver at the limit since the steering works very "sharp"
    8. PASM sport setting too harsh, normal setting too comfortable but surprisingly you can be very fast with it
    9. engine/exhaust sound is HORRIBLE, absolutely HORRIBLE. I would actually ask Porsche if they forgot to put an engine to the car if there wouldn't be that phenomenal boost. I really don't understand how Porsche can sell a 911 Turbo sportscar icon with that kind of sound, absolutely pathetic. No matter what rev range or what speed, there is no enjoyable exhaust/engine sound available.
    10. no real understeer but heavy oversteer provocable, unexperienced drivers should be careful because the rear really starts dancing and it slides much faster than on the "old" 996 Turbo
    11. fuel consumption around 16 l/100 km when driving at normal speeds, around 18 l with playing the throttle and around 20 litres at full power usage. Didn't get it below 16 l.
    12. motorcycle riders started to greet me. First, I thought it was just a mistake but I met around 20 bikes, mostly superbikes and half of them greeted me. Seems I'm driving in a different car league now.
    13. I already have dozends of finger prints on my car, a stop at the fuel station made me feel like Brad Pitt among a group of teenage schoolgirls. Never spent that much time at a fuel station to answer questions.
    14. two cars almost reared me, thanks god I was looking in the rear view mirror. Others tried to keep up or came alongside to take pictures with cameras, camera phones, etc. Unbelievable.
    15. PCCB brake is out of this world, can't say how much I love it, probably 30% of the fun with this car.
    16. Tiptronic S as good as I expected, however a little disappointment with starting off from standstill. This can be "fixed" with keeping the left foot on the brake and accelerating up to 5000 rpm, at the same time releasing the brake suddenly and fully pressing the throttle then. Works like a charm, car goes off like a rocket but I had a different experience a couple of months ago and I'm sad it hasn't stayed that way.

All impressions with Sport Chrono activated!!!

If you have questions, I can answer them now. A full review will be available in around one to two weeks.

Re: 997 Turbo - first short impressions

Congrats again Christian! Very interesting that your impression about TIP version is same as mine!
    I drove the car yesterday and I fully agree with you!
    Nice to know that I was right about how to start TIP version(power-brake!)...
    Well, you are now officialy one of the fastest man in Bavaria!

Congrats! Enjoy! Looking forward to a full review!

Enjoy, settle into it and if you dont end up liking it, you can sell it pretty fast.

Christian, with "different experience", do you mean to tell us that you had already driven the Turbo before?
    Otherwise, enjoy your newly-acquired rock star status and I hope you have even more fun with the car!

Christian,

I have a July 3 build date for a 997TT with Tip , do you have any regrets getting the Tip versus the manual?

I don't hear any "love"

are you disappointed or just being reserved?

Thanks for the honest initial review RC...
    ...hope those school girls were over 18.

I'm still a pessimist when it comes to the Tip S. (I think it's bad in the current line-up)
    Hoping that PDK really transforms the car.

Re: I don't hear any "love"

nice first review.
    but the missing sound.......

So do you plan to cure the sound deficiency? I'm hoping Europipe will come up with a good system including a Loud/Quiet switch. Glad you felt the steering was so sharp and car handled like 997s, that's great news. Thanks for the review.

Quote:
    RC said:
    10. no real understeer but heavy oversteer provocable, unexperienced drivers should be careful because the rear really starts dancing and it slides much faster than on the "old" 996 Turbo

so u are telling me that is worst to do curves with 997 TT than the old TT? you do faster curves with the old one?

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    Christian,

I have a July 3 build date for a 997TT with Tip , do you have any regrets getting the Tip versus the manual?

At first, yes. I was almost crying, not kidding. I was used to my wifes Boxster S Tiptronic and I remembered another Tip on a Turbo where the car went off like a rocket from standstill. My car was different. But now, I'm very happy with my decision, no regrets whatsoever. I already did a few things with this car I could have never done with manual (because I needed both hands on the steering wheel ). However, like I said in my short "review": if you're used to manual or used to a Tip on a normally aspirated car, you have to change your throttle style as weird as this may sound. Tip owners may understand what I mean. What I just LOVE about the new Tip setup: the "Fast Back" function, it works like a charm.

You have to get used to the Tip on the Turbo, it takes a few days of playing around with the throttle foot but as soon as you catch the point, you're set. A lot of fun.

Quote:
    trip said:
    So do you plan to cure the sound deficiency? I'm hoping Europipe will come up with a good system including a Loud/Quiet switch. Glad you felt the steering was so sharp and car handled like 997s, that's great news. Thanks for the review.

I try to stay away from aftermarket exhaust systems as long as I can, especially since I hope hat Porsche is coming up with something decent. But the sound is very very disappointing. I heard two early prototypes and they sounded awsome, so it can't be a technical limitation, more of a legal limitation. However, the car is THAT bad in sound (HORRIBLE!!!), that I suspect that Porsche did it by purpose. My wife's vacuum cleaner sounds ten times better than my Turbo. I still have hopes that my car is too new and there is still a lot of stuff in the exhaust which has to burn off first. But I doubt it is going to be much better. Porsche NEEDS to come up with a sport exhaust for this car, they can't leave it this way. NO WAY!

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    so u are telling me that is worst to do curves with 997 TT than the old TT? you do faster curves with the old one?

Not worst, more challenging if you want to be faster than with the old 996 Turbo. And you definetely are.
    The tricky thing about the new 997 Turbo is in fact that it feels much lighter than it actually is. It really handles like a charm but not as "connected" like the Boxster S or the 997 GT3 for example. The 997 Turbo needs an experienced driver to play with it but even unexperienced drivers can achieve incredible speeds...as long as they leave the Sport Chrono turned OFF!!! Caution: even with Sport Chrono turned ON, the PSM works pretty well. But when you reach the grip limit of the tires, well... If you're not that experienced, better leave Sport Chrono OFF when driving hard on the track or on those nice little country roads. And NEVER EVER use Sport Chrono ON and PSM OFF on a public street, you don't have the necessary room to catch the car if it really starts to play games with you. With Sport Chrono OFF and PSM OFF, the 997 Turbo is trickier to drive than the 997 GT3 with TC turned off. CAUTION.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    are you disappointed or just being reserved?

I'm VERY disappointed with the exhaust sound. VERY.
    Listening to the engine is one of the nice things while driving and the 997 Turbo definetely sucks in this domain. Listening to music is more fun.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the acceleration from standstill. You have to do a trick to start off like a rocket and I really don't understand why Porsche apparently changed this. However, I have still hope: an engineer told me that it will definetely get better as soon as the fuzzy logic of the Tip/etc. gets used to my driving style. Also there seems to be a certain "safety" programming for the first couple of thousands of km to avoid too much unnecessary stress to certain drivetrain parts. Hope he's right.

Otherwise, I'm VERY VERY happy with the 997 Turbo.

I'd like to mention another thing which doesn't seem right: the dampers are too "soft" in PASM sport setting in my opinion.

And PLEASE guys: NEVER EVER lower your 997 Turbo, I'll explain why later on, incl. pictures.

Quote:
    I have still hope: an engineer told me that it will definetely get better as soon as the fuzzy logic of the Tip/etc. gets used to my driving style. Also there seems to be a certain "safety" programming for the first couple of thousands of km to avoid too much unnecessary stress to certain drivetrain parts. Hope he's right.

After 1800 km I definately feel a change in the Tiptronic compared to when I had 600-1000 km.
    It's much better now, shifts more aggressively and works like a charm.
    The whole car feels different, even the sound is better.

Quote:
    CF said:
    After 1800 km I definately feel a change in the Tiptronic compared to when I had 600-1000 km.
    It's much better now, shifts more aggressively and works like a charm.
    The whole car feels different, even the sound is better.

Hmm, should have changed by now...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

Not worst, more challenging if you want to be faster than with the old 996 Turbo. And you definetely are.
    The tricky thing about the new 997 Turbo is in fact that it feels much lighter than it actually is. It really handles like a charm but not as "connected" like the Boxster S or the 997 GT3 for example. The 997 Turbo needs an experienced driver to play with it but even unexperienced drivers can achieve incredible speeds...as long as they leave the Sport Chrono turned OFF!!! Caution: even with Sport Chrono turned ON, the PSM works pretty well. But when you reach the grip limit of the tires, well... If you're not that experienced, better leave Sport Chrono OFF when driving hard on the track or on those nice little country roads. And NEVER EVER use Sport Chrono ON and PSM OFF on a public street, you don't have the necessary room to catch the car if it really starts to play games with you. With Sport Chrono OFF and PSM OFF, the 997 Turbo is trickier to drive than the 997 GT3 with TC turned off. CAUTION.

So, how would you compare the 997TT to the 996TT in the HAZARD department? You stated that it's very tricky. Is it MUCH trickier to drive fast than the 996TT?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    So, how would you compare the 997TT to the 996TT in the HAZARD department? You stated that it's very tricky. Is it MUCH trickier to drive fast than the 996TT?

The 997 Turbo has raised the threshold again and "hitting" this new threshold is trickier than it was hitting the 996 Turbo's limit. It is difficult to explain. The 997 Turbo feels incredibly light for such a heavy car, it is so much fun, never thought it would be like my former 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis. One thing which doesn't seem to be right though seems the dampers. The chassis feels pretty "nervous" all the time, it was different with the 20 mm chassis. But maybe it is still too new to make a final statement.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The 997 Turbo has raised the threshold again and "hitting" this new threshold is trickier than it was hitting the 996 Turbo's limit. It is difficult to explain. The 997 Turbo feels incredibly light for such a heavy car, it is so much fun, never thought it would be like my former 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis. One thing which doesn't seem to be right though seems the dampers. The chassis feels pretty "nervous" all the time, it was different with the 20 mm chassis. But maybe it is still too new to make a final statement.

Thanks for the clarification, Christian. I trust you will take it easy and not crash the car before I get to see it .
    Have fun!

I thought I read on one of Atomic80's posts that the exhaust note sounded more subdued on tip than on manual cars. This would make sense since most 6spd owners have not had as many complaints about the sound. I wonder if this could be the case.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I thought I read on one of Atomic80's posts that the exhaust note sounded more subdued on tip than on manual cars. This would make sense since most 6spd owners have not had as many complaints about the sound. I wonder if this could be the case.

I doubt it. The sound is the same but of course it sounds different because with manual, you shift different. The Tip upshifts very early, especially when Sport Chrono isn't turned on. Another thing is actually using Sport Chrono itself. Since you get more throttle with a shorter throttle "way", the sound is different too. Difficult to explain in English, sorry.

Very objective review! Although, it seems like there will be more negatives than positives to anyone new to the turbo.

Also, is that Cocoa Cola Light (diet?)? You wuss...

Quote:
    RC said:
    The chassis feels pretty "nervous" all the time, it was different with the 20 mm chassis. But maybe it is still too new to make a final statement.

Isn't this what many criticised PASM for on the Carrera S? Nervous and jumpy behavour? The optional Sports Suspension (-20 mm) on the Carrera S never showed this issue (personally I find it a perfect setup in between stiff and soft regardless of how hard you push the car). I thought PASM was re-worked for the Turbo, but you say it still does not feel as sharp as a conventional chassis?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Very objective review! Although, it seems like there will be more negatives than positives to anyone new to the turbo.

Man, did you actually enjoy coming up with that post? You sound like you are HOPING people don't like their new cars.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Man, did you actually enjoy coming up with that post? You sound like you are HOPING people don't like their new cars.

I really don't know where this statement is coming from. But, I suggest you read RC's review again.

Every mag review has praised the new turbo as a very safe, predictable, and very easy car to drive.

That may not necessarily be the case for any new turbo owner, especially, someone who has never driven a car with this much power along with some dangerous turbo lag.

I don't understand how some of you Porschephile can be so high-strung with the slightest criticism.

thanks for your review Christian..

ciaoo

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

i had a stock CS. do you think that CS do more curves than the turbo? in my CS i felt the front too light when start to do a curve. the chrono in CS is very good... in the turbo is not as good as in CS? its easier do curves with CS than with the TT? im not understanding very well

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Every mag review has praised the new turbo as a very safe, predictable, and very easy car to drive.

That may not necessarily be the case for any new turbo owner, especially, someone who has never driven a car with this much power along with some dangerous turbo lag.

Easy for those who already drove/own one. Car journalists sometimes forget about reality. The 997 Turbo is definetely no car I would give an 18-year old to have fun with. He would kill himself in the next 48 hours if he's hot tempered.

The 997 Turbo is very responsive, it feels light and the steering is very sharp and direct but this is definetely no car for beginners IF driven at the limit. For "Hinz and Kunz" like we say here in Germany (meaning: for "regular" people), the 997 Turbo is easy to drive. Simply because they would never ever hit the limit in this car.

And to stop all those theories and interpretations of what I said: the 997 Turbo is almost perfect in my opinion. Just two issues: exhaust sound and a minor starting-off lag from standstill (Tiptronic, only full throttle). Otherwise, this car is a treat.

A full review after some more driving will be posted in about one or two weeks, incl. nice pictures. I may change my opinion about tha starting-off from standstill but there is no way the sound of the exhaust can improve without a sport exhaust. No way.

RC, is the TIP in automatic mode still starting in 2nd from standstill unless you select the first gear via the buttons?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803350 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448609 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266177 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90090 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6643 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885792 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833413 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM