Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Electrical Problems Fixed?

Just got car back this afternoon. Here's a list of what they did .... Remove and install operating unit and information system, repair wire connector at sensor, check & top off oil. Hopefully, the electrical gremlins (see time line below) will be gone forever. None were serious, getting to the dealer and back was a pain.

11/12/05 Car purchased in Hickory, NC and delivered with "headlights mis-aligned" error requiring two trips to closest dealer, Deal Motors in Asheville, NC. One trip to diagnose and another to replace faulty sensor. Sensor replaced 1/19/06.

4/29/06 Oil temp reporting sensor failed. Vehicle flat-bedded to Deal Motors by Porsche Roadside Assistance. Dealer had car 9 days (5/1 thru 5/9) as the first replacement sensor Porsche sent was itself bad so a 2nd replacement sensor had to be ordered. Sensor was replaced on 5/8/06.

5/28 CD began to play erratically then PCM went black. It tried to re-start itself a few times on the drive home but went dark again. Next day it was fine but the car's clocks had lost 38 minutes.
    5/28 Sent PCNA an email detailing problems when I arrived home.

6/5 "headlights mis-aligned" error message re-appeared twice today then went away.

6/9 "headlights mis-aligned" error message re-appeared twice today then went away.

6/11 "headlights mis-aligned" error message came on four times this morning.

6/13 Porsche Regional Service Manager called. He's going to get with Deal's Service Manager, to schedule my car to be looked at/fixed. He also wants the regional technical manager for this area to look at the car. They will upgrade the radio software. They will pick it up and deliver it back to me, probably next week, when fixed. He said it sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

6/14 "headlights mis-aligned" error message comes on now every time the car is started so I won't mention it here as the daily occurrence it is.
    6/14 Deal Motors, called me. They will pick my car up Monday, 6/19. He suspects a loose ground wire could be the problem.

6/19 Vehicle flat-bedded to Deal Motors in Asheville.

6/21 Service Manager from Deal Motors called late afternoon to say they thought they have fixed my car. They found a loose wire associated with the "headlights misaligned" error message. They performed several software updates for the radio and CD player. Danny thinks these changes will also fix the oil temp. gauge reporting zero, the PCM going blank, and the CD skipping problems too. Danny said they want to check the vehicle tomorrow (6/22) morning then they will return it to me.

6/22 Vehicle flat-bedded to me from Deal Motors arriving at 3:00 p.m.

Re: Electrical Problems Fixed?

Man sorry to hear this. I'm sure everyone will keep their fingers crossed.

Yea, but did you hear P was top of the JD Power quality survey? I guess they misplaced your response What a pain in the arse.

I should mention that both the local dealer (from whom I did not buy the car) and PCNA have been very good so far trying to get the problems resolved.
    bstew - thanks.
    SrfCity - Yes, I saw that. Next time I'll fill their damn survey out!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Don.
    Sounds like they may have nailed it!

Thanks Dave, I love "her" but she's been making it hard to do.

I am very glad to read of the commitment that PCNA and your local dealer have towards getting your vehicle properly repaired. While this has been a great inconvenience to you, your situation does illustrate a number of points:
    (1) How a simple intermittant connection can upset both the electrical system and the owner.
    (2) The fact that software is basically handmade and often proprietary to the item it functions with.
    (3) The importance of sensors and their reliability or lack thereof to contemporary Porsche.
    (4) The great and often unbelievable complexity of the modern automobile. At one time mechanical systems were complex and the electrical system was simple. Now we have a complete role reversal.
    (5) We as Porsche owners and drivers have an important role to play in determining future Porsche. Manufacturers often add features simply because they can. Owners feedback, whether through the official JD Powers survey, or simply a e-mail/letter to PCNA or Porsche Gmbh lets them know what features add or distract from our driving pleasure. And what features they can simply shove up where the sun don't shine!

Update ....
    Good News - 2 days of limited driving time (thunderstorms with hail) and no error messages!
    Bad News - new CD player will NOT play any of my MP3 CDs, even those the original CD player did play. These have all been little niggly problems but still problems.

They upgraded you to the old software which doesn't support MP3!

Quote:
    connoisseur said:
    The great and often unbelievable complexity of the modern automobile.

Making me think it's BS to own one of these cars.

I spent us$100K on a machine even Porsche doesn't know how to fix.

Took me three trips for them to fix my CD player which wasn't working when they delivered the car. Would have cost us$2500 to fix it w/o warrenty

Can you imagine having problems like BudWeiser's in 6 or ten years when the warrenty is expired?

I'm losing interest in owning any overly-complex electronic stuff that you can't just throw away (like a Honda) and replace when it stops working or goes obsolete.

MMD, I believe you may be right.
    I owned a Nissan Murano and while I liked the vehicle (a lot actually), I didn't like it telling me things like the tires were flat (every 20 seconds) when they weren't and other bogus error messages.
    What did I do? I got rid of it and bought a nice simple Honda Element that I also like a lot; even more than the Murano because it doesn't tell me specious things! And it's a Honda so it's bullet-proof! And it cost me like $20,000, not nearly $100,000!
    The Porsche, which I really do love, has, I'm afraid, over many months pissed me off! I sent an email to the Lemon Law people here in NC Friday (when I realized the car won't play MP3 discs any longer) with a time line of all the myriad electrical problems asking if I'd reached the point where I could file a Lemon Law case.
    It scares the Hell out of me that our vehicles are now, by far, the most complex computers we own! (And I'm beginning to think Bill Gates wrote the software!!)

I think you're right Don,...now if Mac had written the software everything would be fine!
    The MP3 thing is strange,...could they have installed and older CD unit +/- old software?????

do they still have a seperate warranty book that has state by state info on " lemon laws " ?

Dave, maybe my P-car downloaded a virus or spyware.

Man, after all the problems how could they have installed an older (pre-MP3 compatibility) CD unit OR old software when they were performing an UPDATE to old software??

roadtrip - I Googled "Lemon Law Autos North Carolina" and it found it. I looked it up for you, in New Mexico, here it is:
    http://www.ago.state.nm.us/divs/cons/cons_faqs_auto.htm
    and a listing of links to Lemon Law sites for all states
    http://123car.com/lemon/lemonbystate.html

Quote:
    BudWeiser said:
    MMD, I believe you may be right.

AWWGGGGH!!

I was hoping you guys would talk me out it.

What's weird is after my PCM was finally replaced after the third trip/attempt (defective CD operation and system crashes) I asked the Porsche technician and the service manager if the problem was "finally solved."

They're nice guys and I like them and trusted that the were doing all they could to remedy the situation. Anyway, when I asked them if the problem was solved they freaked me out with their reply. They looked at each other for a clue and shrugged their shouders and kinda sheepishly, but honestly and frankly replied, "We don't know... ."

Since I know those guys were on the phone and computer doing all they could with Porsche's help, their reply says to me that not even Porsche knows how to fix some of these problems!

I had similar problems with my PCM module. CD's wouldn't play. After the fourth time I got it fixed, even though each time I went to the dealership, they told me the car was fixed. It had to do with the software programming when they installed the new pcm module. When they installed the 3rd pcm module they forgot to add back my sport chrono features. I know they were trying but its pretty clear to me that porsche has not made it user friendly for their mechanics to re install pcm modules. After hours of working on the car for the fourth time (I came to pick up my car at the agreed upon time 4:00pm on a friday - I was in the bay while they were trying to re install the software) one of the older more experienced mechanics came over and suggested and alternate way of doing things and the programming took. This was on a friday night on Mother's day weekend at 8:00pm when I was supposed to take my wife out for dinner. They had my car for 3 days before that trying to fix the same thing and when I first got there they told me the car was fixed. When I got in my car the pcm module was exactly as I had brought it in - unworkable.

The worst part of all this was when I gave them a poor grade on my customer satisfaction survey - my service advisor got pissed off at me telling me that I had been responsible for him not getting a bonus that month.

Customer service is not some dealership's forte!!

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    my service advisor got pissed off at me telling me that I had been responsible for him not getting a bonus that month.

Customer service is not some dealership's forte!!

Pretty stupid of him to say anything. That's a good way for him to get fired.

Anyway, my PCm problems were eventually solved and have been fine since. I hope the same for you even though we had to go thru all this cr*p.!

Hearing about all these problems plus engine failures, on another thread, is making me re-consider my plans to change my car later this year.

My 997S is 2 years old in October and, in the UK, that's when the factory warranty runs out. I had a few minor problems early on which were sorted out very quickly with little hassle and since then it's been running like a dream.
    It now has 15,000 miles on with PSE retro-fitted and the mod done.

I'm now thinking I may as well get an extended warranty and stick with what I know. Perhaps it's wise to hang on to a 'good 'un' rather than risk all this potential hassle.

What do you guys think?

To be honest John, the problems I've been having seem to be fairly rare. I think people would mention problems here, as I did, if they were having them and I just don't hear of many.

Quote:
    BudWeiser said:
    To be honest John, the problems I've been having seem to be fairly rare. I think people would mention problems here, as I did, if they were having them and I just don't hear of many.

I agree. It's hard to be on these boards and not worry unnecessarily.

I've been anxiously waiting for my M3 engine to blow up given what I'm hearing on an M3 Board.

Though, with all the electronics computerization on cars these days It seems like the old model of turning your new car into a classic by keeping and babying it for twenty years might not work anymore.

It could be worse. You could be out of warranty!!

red911, that wouldn't just be worse, that would be Purgatory!
    Got a call today, they have no idea why the new CD player won't play MP3 CDs.

Hmmm, maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but I've got a bit of a glitch in my CD track changing via the < or > buttons on the bottom of the number pad. Seems that being in trip data display mode sometimes renders this feature inoperable. If I toggle to another mode then back to trip data display, the track changing will work all right. Everything else is fine, so I'm more than a little hesitant to take it in for "service", especially after reading the postings in this thread. Seems the less human intevntion the better!

Quote:
    uzj100 said:
    If I toggle to another mode then back to trip data display, the track changing will work all right. Everything else is fine, so I'm more than a little hesitant to take it in for "service", especially after reading the postings in this thread. Seems the less human intevntion the better!

When mine started *crashing* all sorts of strange things started happening. The weirdest thing, just before I took it in, was when I opened the sunroof the PCM screen would go blank!! IMO, keep your eyes on it; if things get stranger, bring it in for repair at your convenience before the whole thing becomes useless.

Thanks, MMD. Good input. Read a few too many of these posts and about the only thing you'll feel "safe" doing is driving around the block a few times a week

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    uzj100 said:
    If I toggle to another mode then back to trip data display, the track changing will work all right. Everything else is fine, so I'm more than a little hesitant to take it in for "service", especially after reading the postings in this thread. Seems the less human intevntion the better!

When mine started *crashing* all sorts of strange things started happening. The weirdest thing, just before I took it in, was when I opened the sunroof the PCM screen would go blank!! IMO, keep your eyes on it; if things get stranger, bring it in for repair at your convenience before the whole thing becomes useless.

I think Porsche used fiber optics to link the various parts of the electrical/computer system. Working that kind of equipment into an automobile has to be difficult, leaving the possibility of glitches, to say the least. The PCM system is really a bit too "busy" if you are serious about your driving. Maybe they should have left out some of the new "bells and whistles" when designing the 997.

Jim

Guess Toyota didn't help them with the electronics

Update if anyone is interested. Got a call from someone at Deal Motors who is the boss of the Service Manager there. Well, two calls actually. The first call was to tell me they really didn't know why the new CD player wouldn't play MP3 discs but he was calling people and would get back to me when he found something out. A couple of days later he called to say they had ordered the wrong radio/CD player/unit for my vehicle. The one they put in was one part number off and there are at least TEN of these main head units for our vehicles. He has ordered the correct unit and even offered to bring it here to my house and he and a tech guy will do the swap in my garage so I don't have to bring the car to Asheville. I thought that was pretty decent of him/them.
    All other electrical problems with sensors seem to have been corrected I am VERY happy to report!

Quote:
    BudWeiser said:
    UA couple of days later he called to say they had ordered the wrong radio/CD player/unit for my vehicle. The one they put in was one part number off and there are at least TEN of these main head units for our vehicles.

Hummmmmmm, verrrrrry interestinggggg... . Now I recall a similar mix up when CD/NAV (PCM) went berzerk last November. They couldn't fix it the first time, had to order a second unit.

Strange that there'd be ten variations... .

ANYWAY: glad to hear things are close to being solved.

My PCM unit stopped functioning on wed, it is completely fried and a new one is on order, my C4s cab has 1500 miles on it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803213 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448567 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266122 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90062 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6591 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833261 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM