Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Goodies for Changing Wheels

I just received a wheel hanger that I ordered from Boothe (Porsche offers these as well). For those unfamiliar with the term, it is basically a long bolt that screws into the hub and allows you to guide the wheel in place. I haven't used one before but I can tell you that sitting on the ground and holding up one of our wheels during a changeover is really bad on your back!!! I think this is a smart safe way to put a wheel on and greatly reduces the chance of crunching your calipers with those heavy wheels.
    Also shown is the "soft socket" (it looks teflon like inside). Both $29 from Boothe.
    www.boothedesign.com

Re: Goodies for Changing Wheels

I agree with you . Without these assembly aides you need to be very strong to lift and hold the wheel in place with one hand, while trying to get the bolt started with the other
    ( especially the rear wheels)
    It's even easier when you use two .
    If you have the creamic brakes, it's a definite must have to prevent damaging the brakes.
    I recently installed spacers and it's probably going to be a while before I will ever need to take the wheels off again .

But you do not need to spend $ 30 each.
    I just went to a local tool supply place and bought two 6" long metric machine bolts ( 14 mm with 1.5 thread ) for $1 each , cut the bolt heads off and wrapped electrical tape around them to prevent any possible damage to the aluminum wheels .
    Definitely good enough for the rare occasion I need them for.

Not to diminish the convenience of the wheel hanger, I remember just leaning the wheel against the hub, then lowering the jack by tiny amounts until the holes aligned. Bolts then slip right in, no need to lift the wheel... .

Nylon lined socket it a great idea. Now if only we could guarentee the inevitable lug-cracking grease monkey with the impact wrench would use one.

Wheel hanger available from Porsche parts - I paid $12 for mine.

Why the don't we get these with the cars? We get a stupid little spanner (Used for WHAT exactly?)... and I got a foot-long aluminium spike with a tapered end, that I have NO clue what it's for!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Why the don't we get these with the cars?

If they gave us a wheel locator bolt they'd also have to throw in a jack and a wrench and a spare.

Just be grateful that they included the special socket for your wheel lock lug bolt. Logic would dictate that they'd not have to include THAT either.

It pays to make friends with your friendly neighborhood Porsche Master Tech--they always seem to acquire the wheel hangers that were standard equipment in the 996's. I have four (given to me by a "friend" who saw me changing wheels at the track, one day).

I do think at least one should come with the car, even though there's no jack. Glad I've got mine (and all my assorted track-junkie goodies for changing wheels--low rise jack, cordless impact wrench, padded impact socket, and Snap On torque wrench).

While we're on the subject of tire changes, I thought I'd share what I carry in my own personal "emergency roadside assistance" kit.

I made a small bag of goodies which fits behind my spare tire in the bottom of the boot (this works because the spare is inserted 'lying backwards' to accommodate the smaller C4S boot space). The goodies (see pic below) include:
    -Porsche wheel lock
    -wheel hanger from Boothe www.boothedesign.com <-NICE STUFF!
    -"soft socket" from Boothe
    -Craftsman torque wrench
    -Giant plastic bag for flat tire
    -Knee Pads (to change tires, not to get a promotion)
    -Gloves (to keep my hands pretty)
    -Porsche tire gauge ($26, Suncoast)
    -Speed Yellow Flashlight (Craftsman)

Assorted goodies for emergency use:

Spare tire, tool kit, bag of "goodies," and 1 qt Mobil1 - ALL fit in das boot!!!!!!

Very cool-

The wheel guide bolt is ABSOLUTELY required if one has the PCCBs., better yet, use two.

Hey! Looks good.

The one thing I did was get rid of the foam insert and stuff everything (jack, handle, gloves, bag etc) in there to better utilize the space. Foam seemed like too much wasted space. My c2 allows the wheel to be upright and I face the the wheel with the concave side forward. This way you have a little more flexibility in stuffing the trunk full of your current wife's carry ons when necessary. Not sure if that will work for your wheel position in the C4.

Hey MMD...
    Yep, I've got the foam insert with the jack tucked inside the wheel and inside the tire cover!

Edited - Oops, I just realized you said you took OUT the foam. Hmmm, maybe I can fit even more in there,...food for thought - THANKS!

Guys, I'm bit a newbie here, but just bought my first 996 c4s and need to know is there a tool to remove the center hubs? My C4S came with the C4S hubs but I may want to remove and replace with the Porsche design logo. Is this something I can order from Booth?

Quote:
    porscheaddict said:
    Guys, I'm bit a newbie here, but just bought my first 996 c4s and need to know is there a tool to remove the center hubs? My C4S came with the C4S hubs but I may want to remove and replace with the Porsche design logo. Is this something I can order from Booth?

a coat hanger bent to fit the holes

Quote:
    porscheaddict said:

Do you mean the center wheel crest? If so, take the wheel off and simply push through from the 'inside' - this will unsnap the logo without damaging it.

Bend a coat hanger like shown. Fit bent ends into holes (shown as yellow dots). Use a screwdriver as a lever to pull up on coat hanger while tips are inserted into holes.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Very cool-

The wheel guide bolt is ABSOLUTELY required if one has the PCCBs., better yet, use two.

I think the service manual requires/suggests two for PCCBs.

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    While we're on the subject of tire changes, I thought I'd share what I carry in my own personal "emergency roadside assistance" kit.

I made a small bag of goodies which fits behind my spare tire in the bottom of the boot (this works because the spare is inserted 'lying backwards' to accommodate the smaller C4S boot space). The goodies (see pic below) include:
    -Porsche wheel lock
    -wheel hanger from Boothe www.boothedesign.com <-NICE STUFF!
    -"soft socket" from Boothe
    -Craftsman torque wrench
    -Giant plastic bag for flat tire
    -Knee Pads (to change tires, not to get a promotion)
    -Gloves (to keep my hands pretty)
    -Porsche tire gauge ($26, Suncoast)
    -Speed Yellow Flashlight (Craftsman)

Assorted goodies for emergency use:

Spare tire, tool kit, bag of "goodies," and 1 qt Mobil1 - ALL fit in das boot!!!!!!

Dave, recent posts about flats have sparked my paranoia of encountering the same problem. I am a bit confused about the collapsable spare. Pardon my maybe dumb questions.

For the 997 is the part number: 996 362 020 03 ?

Will the spare wheel fit in the front trunk of a C4S ?

I have been quoted $656 by Suncoast...is that about right ?

Have you any concerns about the spare wheel moving around in the trunk and denting the hood from below (Suncoast were concerned) ?

BTW, many thanks for your post.

I highly recommend securing the collapsable spare to the bulkhead. Another member simply pop rivetted on the proper piece (was a 996 part I believe) and secured in the same fashion the 996 held their's. It could, in a panic stop, move forward with the momentum and dent, outward, the aluminum hood.

Dan

Quote:
    Haku said:

Dave, recent posts about flats have sparked my paranoia of encountering the same problem. I am a bit confused about the collapsable spare. Pardon my maybe dumb questions.

For the 997 is the part number: 996 362 020 03 ?

Will the spare wheel fit in the front trunk of a C4S ?

I have been quoted $656 by Suncoast...is that about right ?

Have you any concerns about the spare wheel moving around in the trunk and denting the hood from below (Suncoast were concerned) ?

BTW, many thanks for your post.

Part number is correct. It also sometimes has an "02" at the end.

Price is about right.

It may NOT fit the C4S trunk. I can't remember exactly what people with the C4 were saying. Do you have a photo of the trunk? Compare to bottom photo showing the DIY weldment and installation.

Ultimately, the REAL issue on the spare tire is where to place the bad wheel/tire after you change it out! Imagine how hard it is to find room for an eleven (or larger) inch rim in that car! Plan ahead with a heavy bag, etc,

dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Ultimately, the REAL issue on the spare tire is where to place the bad wheel/tire after you change it out! Imagine how hard it is to find room for an eleven (or larger) inch rim in that car! Plan ahead with a heavy bag, etc,

dan

Yeah, definitely a big wheel/tire. The thing will fit in back seat with milimeters to spare when front seat is fully forward.

The "boot" as described in the Porsche parts list is actually a large thin-mil plastic bag.

Since our cars don't come with a spare why would one need this? Are people also buying a spare to carry around with them?

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Since our cars don't come with a spare why would one need this? Are people also buying a spare to carry around with them?

See this thread - Today i got a puncture

Keep in mind that Porsche, the company, doesn't really know America. To delete a spare in a car is to say that there is no situation that is not a 1800 Porsche call away. Personally, I have been in many places where there is no line of sight to a cell tower, and no one else is around either. It's the difference between a potential nightmare and a relaxing trip.

Dan

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

See this thread - Today i got a puncture

I understand people get flats but I hope you don't get one so often that you need to carry about tools and such. I know I have been lucky and I will keep my fingers cross as I'm sure my luck will run out. How often are people getting flats?

Quote:
    bstew said:

I understand people get flats but I hope you don't get one so often that you need to carry about tools and such. I know I have been lucky and I will keep my fingers cross as I'm sure my luck will run out. How often are people getting flats?

A few days after getting my brand new but spareless 04 M3 I got a flat! Took me ALL DAY (in a large metropolitan area) to get it towed, find a tire, and have it fixed at BMW. I VOWED never again would a 15 minute DIY roadside repair ever again ruin my whole day and all I had planned. I bought a spare for the M3.

Before my 997S was delivered I already had the spare and toolz. Gonna be taking a bigger chance that a replacement tire for our immobilized cars isn't gonna take another day or two to FedEx to the nearest Porsche dealer... .

Would be THE CLASSY thing for Porsche to do: promise to send a flatbed truck to take the car to the Porsche dealer AND A TAXI to take the driver to the nearest car rental place.

Of course the Porsche dealer would be happy to return the rental when you picked up your repaired car.

Hmm do I buy a spare or not

Hi Haku...
    My car is a 4S, so to answer the question,...YES, the collapsible spare will fit in the smaller boot. HOWEVER, you may note from my pics that the tire is not fully upright,...it is leaning backwards in order to close the trunk. With the Das Schild installed, the tire does not seem to move around even after lots of hard cornering (it's always dead center when I open the boot!

Remember that the flat tire you take off is much bigger than the collapsible spare. You need to think about what to do with it after changing. It might not fit in the front of the 4S. In the cabrio, you could drop the top and stick it in the rear; not sure if it would fit through the doors of the coupe.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689891 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409410 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235060 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858159 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM