Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Thinking of selling my 997 and buying a BMW!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sorry to say that, mate but you're definetely crazy.

I agree! Even a Corvette would be a better buy

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    I agree! Even a Corvette would be a better buy

Oh no, he mentioned an American car!!!

No worries Mike, you're still very high in my book

Definitely a no. A US made car over a 997s the icon, I would say forget it. The rarity factor is also not valid... 99/100 can't tell the diff. between the Z4 2.5, 3.0 or the M version... you would be labelled as someone driving just a Z4 and that's it.

Lets see...

from my point of view, I'll never change the carrera S for a new Z4M...I have read in your posts, that you get too much attention when parking your 997S in the center of london...Well and you probably feel that its time to change of car and feel different sensations, from that point of view , one of the cars that come to my mind, would be an M3 CSL, its like a normal 3 series, nearly , and that engine sound+that interior is just a good change of feelings, + its price wont be that expensive...I think...
    Ohh and you still have 4 seats, even better rear seats than in the 997S....but still I'll wait some more time with the 997S, because its just perfect in every single way....but its your choice of course, and your situation of wanting to have another thing, which I completely agree in some way(my father has been doing this sine he bought his first porsche, and he constantly changes of car, BUT he always change it for another PORSCHE model )

Want something lighter and different, try the CAYMAN S! This is more beautiful than the Z4 and will perform about the same. As it is a new design, it will stand out but not in an obnoxious way like the Z4 coupe.

I love the looks of the Z4M coupe, but not the roadster. I actually considered waiting for the M Coupe before I got my 997, but ran out of patience as it wasn't coming out for awhile yet.

Anyway, I read a lot of reviews of it recently and the consensus seems to be that this is a very different car from the roadster. Where the roadster is like a traditional muscle car like a shelby, the coupe is precision tool not unlike Porsche's sports cars. Expect the ride to be bone jarring though. No doubt this car will give a standard Carrera a run for it's money on the track, but it will not touch the S. Interestingly, the M coupe is said to have lapped the Ring in about 8:10 which is pretty quick!

Like you, I am also the type of guy who likes changing cars, but Porsches are always the one that I want to go back to ultimately. At the moment we have a 997 and a VW Golf GTI DSG (I also love hot hatches) but I am sure in 1 or 2 years time I will have at least one different car. I think you should try it out for a year or so, then come back and buy a GT3. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the M coupe, and it has such a cool look both interior and exterior.

I think you started this thread to get a reaction!! What sane person would voluntarily swap a 997S for a Bangle BMW?! Anyway - well done - you got people going!

Sell your Porsche, buy the BMW. Keep us posted on how you like it.

I'll be keeping my 997.

We appreciate the desire for change----I have changed a few too many cars in my life---about 70% of them were a mistake!

Other options:

Rent another competitive car for the occasional weekend. Whenever i do that I realize how great my NSX, and now 997 C2, are ......

While buying a 997 without a test drive is OK, doing that with a Bimmer is very dangerous! e.g.You may the find that the ride is quite unacceptable on your most often used roads.....

So risk waiting a bit longer, and test drive the coupe first.

I saw my first Z4 coupe yesterday in the BMW showroom ..... they take longer to get Canada. My C2, with PASM and BBS RS-GT (makes her like like the GT3) was just outsie the window. Sorry no comparison---the 997 looks wonderful. Another strategy is to buy a really beautiful set of wheels for the 997 after a year---i now treat my cars with some styling update every year or so! The BBS are MUCH nicer than the Classics. And there are styling kits---and PSE--and headers to improve the sound of the original.

Yeraly upgrades, caredfully chosen give more satisfaction and are much cheaper that a hasy and unwise choive!

Cheers

KiwiCanuck

Good advice!

There's absolutely no comparison between the Bimmer and the AWESOME 997! What's next, trading in the BMW for a mini van?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Good advice!

There's absolutely no comparison between the Bimmer and the AWESOME 997!

I dunno, my 04M3 sits next to my 06 997S and it still is hard sometimes to decide which one to drive.

Yeah, MMD, but I was referring to his possible purchase of the Z4M.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Yeah, MMD, but I was referring to his possible purchase of the Z4M.

Oops. I understand our loyalty to Porsche. But I must admit 330 HP in a roadster is rather interesting.

Thanks for all the replies. I've driven my car a lot this weekend and still don't know what to do. It's not like I've only just bought the car - I've driven it now 15k miles and owned it for 18 months - and of course I think it's fantastic. For a lot of the journey I was in Sport mode and love just letting the back drift slightly before catching it and accelerating. I'm also shallow enough to admit I love the fact that the car still gets loads of looks even though there are plenty of them on the road.

I know that the Z4M Coupe (note - not the Roadster, I agree with those who say there are millions of Roadsters around and you cannot tell the M apart from the smaller engined models) is not a Porsche, but surely those of you who say there is no comparison would be interested to see how this car drives?

I will report back once I've test driven the Z4M!

I am going to a track day on July 6, and one of the guys just picked up a new Z4M Coupe. I will let you know how I go against him.

Way, where's that gonna be? PM me please.

Oh you interested Pete? I also have a skid pan organised with 6 friends. Interested? PM coming...

EDIT: And the track day is not far from you.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I am going to a track day on July 6, and one of the guys just picked up a new Z4M Coupe. I will let you know how I go against him.

Excellent - thanks mate!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Get rid of the S and wait for the //M3. Enjoy!

Can't imagine going from a 997 to a Z4M myself ... I've done the BMW thing a few years back and wasn't really very impressed either with performance or quality. I've even kept trying to find one that thrills me and none I've driven really do. Maybe the Z4Ms will be better ... who knows.

It does bring to mind something I hadn't thought of though since getting my 997S; where do you go next? First, there's a whole lot of potential that I haven't even begun to explore yet in this car, so I've got quite a while to go before I even begin to feel I need something more capable. Second, I've really become addicted to the unique feel of the rear-engined platform, and I like it much more than front- or mid-engined cars I've had in the past. Finally, I've been the all-wheel-drive route, and I don't care for it. So where does this leave me? Rear-engine means eventually another 911 in the future. My dislike of AWD takes the Turbo off the list. The performance gap between a standard Carerra like the 997S and the GT3 variants don't seem extreme enough to warrant the compromises/extra costs. So what's left ... it sort of leads me to think that when I want to step up to something different I'll be hoping there is a GT2 version available.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

400+hp is going to give the 911 nightmares! Plus, the V8 will sound much better.
    /uploads/238741-g020.gif

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

400+hp is going to give the 911 nightmares! Plus, the V8 will sound much better.

Until it disintegrates...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Either of the above is highly debateable.

if you really think this after having this car, please buy a reanault laguna. thank you.

For the past 25 years I've alternated between Porsche and BMW with just a brief flirtation with a Lexus SC430.

I've always returned to Porsche (except for the 996) as nothing quite matches the all round daily pleasure of driving a 911.

I have kept my BMW E31 8 Series as, being pre-Bangle, it is approaching classic status and IMHO is still the best Bimmer ever designed. However the fact remains that nothing touches the 997 for driver pleasure.

If you are concerned about warranty then take out a Porsche extended warranty and then keep your C2S. Your next car should be another variant of the 997 - start planning your new spec', with all the help available from Rennteam you should be able to plan the car of your dreams... until the next one which, in my experience, should also be a 911.

What you are planning to do will end in tears.

I will report back once I've test driven the Z4M!

yes! please test drive! then at least you make a more informed decision.

and report back all the details of the driving experience.

I can definitely understand the curiosity. I love my 997 but often consider trading it in for something different.

Hell, I've even considered selling it and buying another Evolution.

OK - I have just test driven the Z4M. The Coupe is not yet available so I drove the Roadster. There follows a very brief report:

The car feels very lairy - maybe I have been spoilt with my 997 but there is very little composure and fluidity in the cornering. I had the back drifting out on virtually every low speed roundabout I drove on. Even fast acceleration on the straight made the back feel twitchy and jumpy.

Maybe it's familiarity, but I could not feel confident in this car in the short time that I drove it. Especially with the Sport button selected (which incidentally did not change the "feel" of the car in the same way the Sport button on my 911 does), I simply did not feel there was enough grip at the rear to get me around the corner.

You really have to rev this car to feel the power - at below 4k rpm I could have been driving a 2.5i rather than the M version. As a result, the power does not feel as immediate as it does on the 911 - you have to change down or nothing much will happen.

Steering is light and communicative but not in the same league as the 911 - ie you do not feel every bit of the road underneath you.

The ride is pretty good actually - probably better than the 911 and possibly more comfortable on a longer journey. I had heard negative things about the Z4 suspension so this was a surprise - perhaps it's down to the lack of run flat tyres.

The driving environment is fantastic though - this does feel like a special place to be - grippy seats with loads of lumbar and thigh support (much better than on my 911 although I do only have the standard seats) and a tight cocooned feeling yet not claustrophobic (I'm 6"3). The steering wheel is far too thick however - great if you like that but I prefer the thin multi function wheel on my 997.

Lastly, engine noise was good but more of a whine than the grunt of the 911. At low revs it was nothing spectacular.

Overall, I enjoyed this car, but feel that it does not flatter my driving the way the 911 does. It doesn't feel as fast, yet it feels less controlable. This could be overcome with familiarity perhaps. It requires respect and attention when driving fast - consequently I did not feel nearly as confident driving it quickly - eg a 50mph bend in the 911 would be taken at no more than 40mph in the Z4M.

I will wait to test the Coupe but I don't think it's the change I want right now. Perhaps I will put my name down for the next M3 or just order myself another 911.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    ....or just order myself another 911.

Now you are making sense!

---that road test info' was interesting.....but not surprising. The rear ends of BIMMERS 3 and Z series are not really well planted, and without the electronic control on, you can lose it MUCH easier that with the 997.

See my memo back on page 3 or so------ buy some really fine wheels, PSE/sports mufflers , headers---one a year---and enjoy the change, WITH a 997!

Cheers

KiwiCanuck

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803263 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448587 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266145 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90081 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6615 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885745 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833329 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM