Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

295bhp 3.4 Boxster S - Now it's Official!!!

News Update from my OPC this morning

Re: 295bhp 3.4 Boxster S - Now it's Official!!!

Tucked away on page 4 Cayman owners eat your heart out, one of the main reasons for spending all that extra money is gone.

Oops - I guess I should have started my own thread instead of adding onto such a large one already

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=237947&Main=228679#Post237947

Quote:
    spize said:
    Oops - I guess I should have started my own thread instead of adding onto such a large one already

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=237947&Main=228679#Post237947

...or I should have read yours first I guess all British 987 owners received the same, but I thought I'd scan and post it for the non-British Rennteamers that may not have received it.

I think the scans make it TBH.

And it is important news - nothing like seeing it in print and good to know it went out across the country on the same day.

Funny thing though - I'm due to visit my OPC on Monday to look at ordering a 997 C2. As I've just found out my less than 12 month old 987S is now "obsolete" I'm seriously reconsidering getting a 911. After all if I'd bought a 343bhp M3 when it came out in 2001 it would still be pretty much the same car that is being sold now.

Do I really want to have this sinking feeling having spent Pounds66k on a 997?

Quote:
    spize said:
    I think the scans make it TBH.

And it is important news - nothing like seeing it in print and good to know it went out across the country on the same day.

Funny thing though - I'm due to visit my OPC on Monday to look at ordering a 997 C2. As I've just found out my less than 12 month old 987S is now "obsolete" I'm seriously reconsidering getting a 911. After all if I'd bought a 343bhp M3 when it came out in 2001 it would still be pretty much the same car that is being sold now.

Do I really want to have this sinking feeling having spent Pounds66k on a 997?

Frustrating I know, but in fairness to Porsche the depreciation on your 987s is probably less than an equivalent M3 and if you'd bought an M3 less than a year ago you would now face the prospect of an all new V8 M3.
    It's no surprise, though, Porsche tend to upgrade every couple of years if you look back at the previous 986 S.
    I'd be a lot more pi$$ed off if I'd paid Pounds45k+ for a Cayman though. Now I'd know I'd been ripped off.

But the 997 is a fabulous car and I am sure you won't be disappointed - from a line in Coldplay's single Clocks - "nothing else compares"

Thanks dreamcar, it's nice to see solid info. I don't feel bad as a 06 987S owner, I've really enjoyed my car the last year. I would however be kicking myself if I had paid the premium last year for a Cayman.

Sweet! Thanks for the scan. So now you can get a Cayman S cabrio for less money that a Cayman S coupe... nice move Porsche

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Sweet! Thanks for the scan. So now you can get a Cayman S cabrio for less money that a Cayman S coupe... nice move Porsche

Ouch! Don't tell Porsche that it's a Cayman cabrio - they'd put the price up by 20%

we win

Thanks for the scans dreamcar, now I know what I actually signed for

What a bummer! I just bought my 2006 987s 2006 Jan production and took delivery on March 21st before my bday. I now have this feeling that my sales professional actually knew about this 3-4 months ago. What's even more ridiculous was that I went into the dealership this friday to test drive the cayman s thinking of trading my 987s in for the hardtop. I posted him the question and he said he knew nothing about it. Of course he didn't... otherwise I wouldn't even consider test driving knowing that the next cayman cabrio will cost a lot less with the same setup. Actually, I am a little upset by this. It is a bit too soon (considering that in HK, the first shipment of 987s was around 2005 Jan) to do an upgrade. Afterall, it has been <2 years. It does make economic sense from a production standpoint but I just feel that this is a carefully planned out ingenious marketing plan to roll out the full lineup. First the 987s in 3.2 L and then the 987 c7 cayman with a 3.4 claiming to be different from boxster so we all put down our $$$. Then after they had gotten enough orders, then they slap you in the face. What's worst, now they rollout the boxster cabrio without the s to look the same as the cayman s.

Obviously, in the end, all that marketing BS about how cayman had all been different from the boxster was nothing more than the rolling out of 2 boxster hardtop. Now that they have the same engine, there really is no reason to NOT get the cabrio because traditionally, cabrios always command a premium and maybe if I were to think about it that way... I am better off. Now I feel terrible for my cousin who just placed his order on the officially "BOXSTER COUPE" paying 100K HKD more than I paid for my CAYMAN CABRIO.

But the news is that the 3.4 boxster s will now have a substantial increase in price. To stretch it more, maybe PAG should have rolled out a package like the 997s to offer it as an optional package for the boxster s to get the 3.4 L to squeeze every single bit out of us...

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    But the news is that the 3.4 boxster s will now have a substantial increase in price.

No - here in the UK 2%

This is a very interesting topic and clever marketing by Porsche of course. I would be mighty pissed off if I had bought a Cayman S (not that I ever would have, but that is a different story). I really wonder what will happen to the models now, it does not make much sense to continue the current model setup with two almost identical cars. I guess more changes are on the way...

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    This is a very interesting topic and clever marketing by Porsche of course. I would be mighty pissed off if I had bought a Cayman S (not that I ever would have, but that is a different story). I really wonder what will happen to the models now, it does not make much sense to continue the current model setup with two almost identical cars. I guess more changes are on the way...

There may be a few pissed cayman buyers, but I'd be more annoyed if I was a recent Boxster S owner knowing that a few months wait would have had a bigger engine!

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:

There may be a few pissed cayman buyers, but I'd be more annoyed if I was a recent Boxster S owner knowing that a few months wait would have had a bigger engine!

BUT when reality dawns, and Cayman buyers eventually realise that they have been duped in believing that their icon is not a Boxster coupe ( coupes are cheaper to produce than roadsters, and the Cayman S IS a Boxster S coupe, now more than ever), AND the Boxster (or is it Cayman cabrio) still over Pounds3,000 cheaper.... I seem to recall that a devout Cayman enthusiast, recently called Boxster and 911 owners "suckers". Well it is obvious now who the suckers really are and it sure isn't Boxster or 911 owners.

Well, it is always the case that Porsche upgrades the current model line during its lifetime. The 993, 996, 986, etc. all went through engine upgrades. What makes this special is that the Cayman S was marketed as a different car to the Boxster S and the engine was the major point for this difference (which is why Porsche could ask for a premium over the Boxster S). It is now pretty clear that the premium was just a clever marketing trick - that would [censored] me off if I owned a Cayman S.

i feel cheated, and i don't own either cars (although WAS considering a cayman s).
    Personally i just don't see the logic, especially seeing as the cayman MY07 price has increased also. I could see it working IF the cayman S came with a higher std spec (like 997 vs 997s) - such as full leather, 19s & PASM. That way porsche would still be making a profit on this model over the boxster S, Pounds5k price difference but with only approx Pounds3.5k worth of additional options.

My problem now is that when i test drove the cayman s two weeks ago, i was very keen and was willing to justify a Pounds53k car. Now i'm in a bit of a mix, still want the cayman but would feel like a muppet for buying one when the boxster is effectively 'more' car for less money, BUT don't want a boxster as i'd rarely drop the roof....

So i guess my choice is:
    a. buy the car i want, pay over the odds to the tune of Pounds4/5k and worry about the impact of this pricing strategy on the depreciation.

b. buy the car i don't really want, but be safe in the knowledge that i've saved myself Pounds4/5k?

Bloody porsche!

The Carrera S cabrio has a premium of 12% over the Carrera S coupe, while the Cayman/Boxster S coupe has a premium of 11% over the Cayman/Boxster S cabrio. That will not sustain long, who would pay more for less? Unless you are a sucker

Quote:
    vanilla said:

1. the power figure isn't final yet, the official announcement should be available Monday or latest Tuesday.
    2. our Users knew already many months ago that the MY 2007 Boxster S is getting the 3.4 l engine from the Cayman S.

And yes, I also have difficulties to understand what is happening right now regarding the Boxster and Cayman.

I thought it would happen when they launched the Cayman S.

The logistics of having three different motors for the M987 series cars made no sense. It took them a year to rationalze
    their supply chain and thats not unusual for any manufacturer.

boxster s finally becomes a bit more respectable. though not as much power as an bmw M, it does enhance its range a bit more.

IMO Porsche is letting the Cayman struggle in a somewhat "Darwinian" fashion.

Whether Cayman buyers like it or not, it is the stepchild of the lineup, even below the Boxster in some ways. The 911 is protected in terms of pricing, technology and performance since it is the flagship, generating the most profit per vehicle.

The Boxster, even as the entry level model, is a well established, profitable product. Consequently, Porsche will do whatever is necessary (but no more) to keep it competitive with cars like the SLK 55/?63 and Z4M. So when it was apparent to Porsche that the competitors would have too great a power advantage, the Boxster S got an upgrade. Price can't be increased too much, because that is set by its competitors models, even if it makes the Cayman S look overpriced by comparison.

The Cayman, as a new model that has yet to establish a history of profitability, gets the least consideration. Porsche won't jeopardize the 911 to keep the Cayman above the Boxster, but it has to improve the Boxster to keep it competitive with MB and BMW. The Cayman is stuck in the middle with nowhere to go. So not only is the Cayman's power output limited and its transmission's ratios "adjusted", now even its product placement is the victim of Porsche's protection of models above and below it.

mcdelaug

Let's not forget that the Cayman has to keep up with the competition that's upcoming, the BMW M COUPE. I wonder if then Porsche, in order to put a dividing line between boxster and cayman puts an upgrade in to make it 305 hp keeping it 3.4 L. Well, in any case, as a rather recent buyer (not so recent I guess... I put down my deposit last x'mas 2005 when the news wasn't out) taking delivery on March 21st, I still feel a bit annoyed as well as upset. Only if I had waited a few months then I would have gotten the variocam and the 3.4 295 hp making it more like a respectable Porsche roadster. 280 hp is a bit on the low side. It's going to be really hard for Porsche to explain this one as it had since day 1 making buyers pay a huge premium for something less except by justifying for the 15 hp. There are people willing to pay the difference for 15 hp and the variocam but now product differentiation is very much blurred. Afterall, the Cayman Cabrio offers more for less and the Boxster Coupe becomes more expensive without a softtop. For me it certainly doesn't feel good. In fact, my buddy picked up his 987s tip on June 16th and I wondered how he would feel. My cousin just put in his $$$ for the Cayman S delivery next Jan 2007 and last night over dinner, he said he felt more duped than ever and he also felt bad for me. It's a lose lose situation for most owners who had already paid for their purchase. In the end, I told him that he shouldn't sweat over it (although I was sleepless last night after watching US V. Italy in the World Cup till 5 am in the morning)because we bought into the marketing and novelty... (that was a bit ironic because I didn't wanna discourage him too much as we hadn't even gotten to the CAYMAN BASE 2.7 yet... by 2007 Jan, the novelty factor would have diminished with the market being flooded by tons of the base version). The funny phenomenon in HK is that I find that 987s are still pretty rare and might maintain rarity more as more people seem to buy into the marketing of Porsche and moving over to the base Cayman.

Also, does anyone know August 2006 meaning August 2006 production (delivery in November year end?) or lineup being delivered in August 2006? It looks to me like Porsche is trying its best to keep this rather UNDER THE CARPET because this EVOLUTION will have the dealership either decrease its pricing on the current 3.2 L to sell all stocks or keep two pricings with one on 3.2L and a higher one for 3.4 L in the interim. It is an embarassing one.

I also wonder how my 987s 3.2L will hold up in the second hand market now that this becomes official. I suddenly felt that my bank account just went down.

Quote:
    RC said:

1. the power figure isn't final yet, the official announcement should be available Monday or latest Tuesday.

Seems final enough to me having been "officially" announced here in the UK by Porsche themselves Shame the rest of the world won't be told until Monday or Tuesday

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Seems final enough to me having been "officially" announced here in the UK by Porsche themselves Shame the rest of the world won't be told until Monday or Tuesday

You forgot France

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...our Users knew already many months ago that the MY 2007 Boxster S is getting the 3.4 l engine from the Cayman S.

All due respect, but that is a bit strong statement isn't it? More accurately there were rumours floating around on the forum about an engine upgrade, no one did know

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761645 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434942 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260268 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257384 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871750 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807087 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM