Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Gallardo chasing a 997 Turbo: NEW videoLINK

310 could also be just another conservative number from Porsche. I wonder how many car magazines will actually try and hit top speed and how many will just rely on Porsche's claim.

Quote:
    trip said:
    310 could also be just another conservative number from Porsche. I wonder how many car magazines will actually try and hit top speed and how many will just rely on Porsche's claim.

Well, I'm pretty sure british magazines won't be trying .

Why is it that British magazines like Evo and Car only rely on Mnfr's claims and never do their own performance tests? Is it because of the weather?

The quoted speed odf 200 is that reflective of Coefficient of drag andgear ratios as well. I was wondering if it were possible to reliably plot this as well. Can you help me here...what does the formula look like. Thanks for taking the time to answer..:-)

Well, the coefficient of drag is .31 and frontal area measures 2,04 square meters.

The drag index is 0,63 square meters.

In combination with gear ratios and horsepower how does 200 miles per hour compute...is it possible with those pieces of information to arrive at terminal speed..or is it that simple?

http://davewin.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml

Horsepower/drag calculator. Note that front surface in sq. feet is 21,96. That would require 401 horsepower at 200 mph.

http://www.welltall.com/ymc/discovery/car/maxspeed.html - This is a site that goes into detail about calculating these numbers by yourself. Yes, gentlemen, 200 mph is possible out of the box.

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    In combination with gear ratios and horsepower how does 200 miles per hour compute...is it possible with those pieces of information to arrive at terminal speed..or is it that simple?

Note that the Turbo has almost 480 horsepower still available at redline, so 200 mph is nothing, really. It's all in the gearing. The old Ruf yellowbird achieved over 340 km/h with 470 HP, by using a long enough gear..

Porsche better not limit the car. That would be very dissapointing.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    There is no speed limiter in the 997TT. The gearing of the 997TT limits the top speed to ca. 310kph. Same as in case of the 996TTS: Top speed of 307kph was reached at maximum allowed revs. The shorter gearing supports acceleration performance but reduces top speed.

I asked you before: are you sure? The 996 Turbo S had a shorter 6th gear compared to the 996 Turbo.
    All rumors indicate that the 997 Turbo is speed limited...because of the tires. I still didn't figure out the reason behind this but apparently it has to do with the CUP tires and not the street tires. It would be impossible to limit cars with Cup tires only, so they limited ALL versions. IF true (still no official confirmation), this would be ridiculous. I'll find an answer soon...hopefully.

Just take a look at the recent AMS test. The rev/hp/speed chart confirms that the car reaches ca. 310kph at max revs in the 6th gear. This is a pretty convincing argument, don't you think so

I am really worried that all this VTG technology and 480hp is not good for much: The 997TT *needs* a short gearing to show at least slightly improved acceleartion figures and to keep up with its competitors. No good news indeed

It doesn't actually say so. Also, what's the dotted line that goes beyond the solid line over 320 km/h? Seems to be the front differential?

Also, I've inserted the values into a calculator (http://www.kabamus.com/garage/gears.html). The speed at 6800 rpm should be approximately 200 mph, maybe a bit more, so RC's theory of an electronic cutoff seems very likely.
    Values used:

Tire Width in (mm): 305
    Aspect Ratio: 30
    Rim Diameter in (inch): 19
    Transmission Gear Ratio: 0,79 (6th gear)
    Differential Ratio (final drive): 3,33 (rear)

Looking at my US brochure it clearly states the final drive ratio of the manual rear diff is 3.44. The front diff is 3.33.

Will this change your calculations?

Just for the heck of it, who here is going to drive their car at its terminal velocity??

So what does top speed matter, other than bench racing?

Quote:
    trip said:
    Why is it that British magazines like Evo and Car only rely on Mnfr's claims and never do their own performance tests? Is it because of the weather?

Because they're fluff pieces.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:

Note that the Turbo has almost 480 horsepower still available at redline, so 200 mph is nothing, really. It's all in the gearing. The old Ruf yellowbird achieved over 340 km/h with 470 HP, by using a long enough gear..

"Yellow bird" had about 540hp.

Cool video - thanks for posting.

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    There is no speed limiter in the 997TT. The gearing of the 997TT limits the top speed to ca. 310kph. Same as in case of the 996TTS: Top speed of 307kph was reached at maximum allowed revs. The shorter gearing supports acceleration performance but reduces top speed.

I asked you before: are you sure? The 996 Turbo S had a shorter 6th gear compared to the 996 Turbo.
    All rumors indicate that the 997 Turbo is speed limited...because of the tires. I still didn't figure out the reason behind this but apparently it has to do with the CUP tires and not the street tires. It would be impossible to limit cars with Cup tires only, so they limited ALL versions. IF true (still no official confirmation), this would be ridiculous. I'll find an answer soon...hopefully.

Just take a look at the recent AMS test. The rev/hp/speed chart confirms that the car reaches ca. 310kph at max revs in the 6th gear. This is a pretty convincing argument, don't you think so

I am really worried that all this VTG technology and 480hp is not good for much: The 997TT *needs* a short gearing to show at least slightly improved acceleartion figures and to keep up with its competitors. No good news indeed

It doesn't actually say so. Also, what's the dotted line that goes beyond the solid line over 320 km/h? Seems to be the front differential?

Also, I've inserted the values into a calculator (http://www.kabamus.com/garage/gears.html). The speed at 6800 rpm should be approximately 200 mph, maybe a bit more, so RC's theory of an electronic cutoff seems very likely.
    Values used:

Looking at my US brochure it clearly states the final drive ratio of the manual rear diff is 3.44. The front diff is 3.33.

Will this change your calculations?

Yes.

Crank horsepower not totally relevant to top speed. It is the actual wheel horsepower that matters. Who knows how much driveline losses the 4wd incurs.

The differential gear ratio is only half the equation, the other half is the tire circumference. The front and rear tires have different circumferences which explains the different diff ratios

Quote:
    trip said:
    Actually AMS did not test top speed, they simply quoted the manufacturer's claim.

I am not relating to the stated top speed but to the detailed gearing chart in the test.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Values used:

That would be good news Let's wait and see.

BTW: We did another high-speed comparison of a friends M6 vs my 996TTS last week.

This time the M6 had identical acceleration figures up to my car's to speed of 326kph (according to speedo, should be around real 310kph). Unfortunately, my friends M6 kept pulling... However, this M6 was also noticably quicker at higher speeds than the M6 we used for our last test 6 months ago - so it is fair to say that my friends delimited M6 has got one of the stronger engines

Quote:
    Crash said:

Hm, just checked again: which dotted line? There is only a solid line that ends at 310kph (at max revs)...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Hm, just checked again: which dotted line? There is only a solid line that ends at 310kph (at max revs)...

GETRIEBEDIAGRAMM:

The line that is labeled Nennleistung 480PS goes up to 6800 rpm, and then becomes dotted, up to 7200 rpm - 6th gear.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:

With boost cranked. The one tested in 1987 only had 469. Not that this applies to the bigger 997TT directly, but it shows that it doesn't take all that much horsepower.

Also, FINAL DRIVE
    According to Auto Zeitung:
    Rear: 3,33
    Front: 3,44

That would make sense, since the front wheels are somewhat smaller.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:

With boost cranked. The one tested in 1987 only had 469. Not that this applies to the bigger 997TT directly, but it shows that it doesn't take all that much horsepower.

Also, FINAL DRIVE

I have that issue of Road and Track that tested the "yellow bird" in '87. It was later dynoed to have about 540hp.

Little mistake from Auto Zeitung in final drive data...
    These are correct data:
    Final Drive
    Front 3,33:1
    Rear 3,44:1

997 Turbo manual is hitting 310km/h at 6700rpm(this is around 318km/h on digital speedo) so, car is not limited...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:

Also, FINAL DRIVE

I have that issue of Road and Track that tested the "yellow bird" in '87. It was later dynoed to have about 540hp.

Later or at the time of the test? Adam has one and all he has to do is turn a knob in order to increase boost. What the power was during testing, I don't know.

Re: Gallardo chasing a 997 Turbo

Quote:
    eclou said:
    The GT3 chasing the Gallardo was one of the most stimulating car videos I have ever seen!

Simply stunning video. It is the best I've seen for years. It's going to get put on the office network as a motivational video!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

GETRIEBEDIAGRAMM:

The line that is labeled Nennleistung 480PS goes up to 6800 rpm, and then becomes dotted, up to 7200 rpm - 6th gear.

Not in my AMS issue... The solid line ends at 310kph, there is no dotted line (page 68)

Re: Gallardo chasing a 997 Turbo

Quote:
    Jay said:
    Simply stunning video. It is the best I've seen for years. It's going to get put on the office network as a motivational video!

Now that's what I call motivating your employees

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

GETRIEBEDIAGRAMM:

Not in my AMS issue... The solid line ends at 310kph, there is no dotted line (page 68)

Whoops, I'm talking about Auto Zeitung !

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

GETRIEBEDIAGRAMM:

Whoops, I'm talking about Auto Zeitung !

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    That would be good news Let's wait and see.

BTW: We did another high-speed comparison of a friends M6 vs my 996TTS last week.

This time the M6 had identical acceleration figures up to my car's to speed of 326kph (according to speedo, should be around real 310kph). Unfortunately, my friends M6 kept pulling... However, this M6 was also noticably quicker at higher speeds than the M6 we used for our last test 6 months ago - so it is fair to say that my friends delimited M6 has got one of the stronger engines

So, does this mean that one would lose in a TTS? Also, how does it handle in the corners?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802534 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448340 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265898 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89897 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6377 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885277 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831900 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM