Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jason, thank you for making me have a huge, dumb grin

I was also on the Austria trip, on the session before Atomic. You can find my brief report on the Board. I thought the exhaust was just right. The sound of the car is "powerful/mechanical" as I would put it, not just an exhaust note. I personally don't like a loud exhaust sound. I keep cars for about five years, and loud exhausts wear out on me very quickly.

As I said in my review, the car's sound seems louder with the manual, versus the Tip.

I was on the Austria trip in the session before Atomic. I drove several different cars over the two days. The Porsche travel folks were very accommodating, and you could change drivers and cars anytime you wanted.

I did think that the effects of SC were more pronounced in the manual cars I drove, which I cannot readily explain.

Re: Nasty exhaust drone

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    I personally don't like a loud exhaust sound. I keep cars for about five years, and loud exhausts wear out on me very quickly.

I agree.

The one major regret I have in ordering the X50 power package on my 996TTC is the exhaust note right around 2,000 RPM.

It has a nasty droning tone that sets in at part throttle: Just perfect for annoying the hell out of me while cruising at 65-75 MPH

I actually don't like taking a long freeway drive in it because it nearly gives me a headache at constant speed It also ruins listening to the Bose stereo at comfortable dB levels, especially the bass range.

I had no idea when I ordered the power kit that the exhaust drone would be a "feature" of the option. My former 996TT Tip coupe with the standard engine did no such thing.

Re: Opus 911: A turbo introduction

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    From my experience with the 996 Turbo, it was essential to keep the engine above 3000 RPM so there's no lag. Seems impossible to me when a Tiptronic with 5 gears is in command. Even with VTG.

Thanks again!

Tiptronic MANUAL mode???

Probably just overriding the gears.

Here's some nice shots I just took earlier today.

GT vs Alpine Silver

One of the reasons why I LOVE Cobalt blue now. Isn't this gorgeous!

Porsche crest looks majestic on Cobalt blue.

Simply stunning!

Even the back end looks gorgeous!

More pictures, tweaked of course.

Jason, quick one for you since you have seen the real cars, would you pick natural dark grey leather or black leather for a silver 997TT?

Your input is much appreciated!

Without a doubt, Natural Grey...looks 98% like black leather. Only under sunny conditions can you tell that it's slightly grey. The texture, feel and overall plushness of the natural leather series far outdoes the standard leather.

Thanks a million Jason, I'll try to change my July production to Natural Dark Grey then. I assume it's darker than the AMG charcoal by quite a bit? I'm guessing it's more like the Mercedes Nappa or BMW Merino?

Thank you for your report, pictures and videos Jason, appreciate it

Nice to see some real life pictures and videos of the 997TT. Judging by your videos, the engine sound inside the car sounds quite nice, even if it may be a bit vacuumcleaner from the outside.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    I personally don't like a loud exhaust sound. I keep cars for about five years, and loud exhausts wear out on me very quickly.

I agree.

The one major regret I have in ordering the X50 power package on my 996TTC is the exhaust note right around 2,000 RPM.

It has a nasty droning tone that sets in at part throttle: Just perfect for annoying the hell out of me while cruising at 65-75 MPH

I actually don't like taking a long freeway drive in it because it nearly gives me a headache at constant speed It also ruins listening to the Bose stereo at comfortable dB levels, especially the bass range.

I had no idea when I ordered the power kit that the exhaust drone would be a "feature" of the option. My former 996TT Tip coupe with the standard engine did no such thing.

Ilike the exhaust note of my X50 (although I would prefer it a bit louder). I drive about 1000 km a week on autobahns, back roads and the NBR. I rarely cruise at low speeds and have no problems with 'drone'.

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Thanks a million Jason, I'll try to change my July production to Natural Dark Grey then. I assume it's darker than the AMG charcoal by quite a bit? I'm guessing it's more like the Mercedes Nappa or BMW Merino?

Not sure it'll look much darker than AMG Charcoal (realize that AMG offered blk nappa as a $4Kish option on '06 SL55/65, but as a no-cost std choice on '07 SL55/65...and uses a richer, softer grade of blk nappa on 65 than on 55)....esp given fact carpets along doors, tunnel and rear shelf are rather medium greyish....

As a fanatic re: leather quality, strongly considered NGL (compared new CGT w/NGL vs 997 w/blk leath in same dealer showroom and was hard-pressed to deter qual diffces ....and found that car w/greater leath options (esp w/997's extensive stitchwork) appeared more elegant than, for ex., a NGL 997 w/o many leath options and much visible plastic), but having equally strong aversion to less-dark-than-blk and two-tone-ish interiors, ultimately passed on NGL and went w/blk....

How much is NGL over standard leather on the TT? I thought it was a free upgrade but apparently not!

NGL/NBL are both $1510 over the standard leather. I think that Porsche should have made THIS leather standard.

Personally, I haven't had a chance to really look close at the AMG charcoal leather so I couldn't tell you if one is darker than the other. I would guess that it's about the same. Maybe I'll try stopping by the Mercedes Benz dealership and check for you. I know that I could barely tell the difference between NGL and standard black leather in terms of color shade. The NGL just felt so much nicer to me. I had Nappa leather in my old M5 and believe me when I say that the NGL felt nicer. It felt grippier and has a nicer texture to it. Definitely worth the $1510 upgrade to me.

You weren't really driving with one hand at 250kph and taking the video with the other hand, were you?

...the NGL felt nicer. It felt grippier and has a nicer texture to it. Definitely worth the $1510 upgrade to me.

Can anyone else confirm the 'grippier' texture of natural leathers?

The NGL looks like a great combination with Atlas. The dark greys are both close to black but more interesting to me (after four black/black Porsches in a row).

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    You weren't really driving with one hand at 250kph and taking the video with the other hand, were you?

That is a testament to just how stable the 997TT is. Trust me when I say that it was THAT stable at those speeds. I didn't do it for very long though.

Quote:
    AUM said:I rarely cruise at low speeds and have no problems with 'drone'.

That's the difference between the USA and Germany.

No?

If I could always cruise in excess of 3,500 RPM, I wouldn't complain of drone, either.

the natural leathers

grippier, more rich looking and feeling and an incredible leather smell. I'll miss my NBL, since my 997tt has standard black leather.

Jason, thanks again. I am totally agonizing over this black vs. natural dark grey dilemma (how pathetic). Is the difference in quality really that big, more significant than the difference between the regular E39 BMW 5 leather and the nappa in the M5?

And I suppose the leather is upgraded in the entire car, not just the seats, right? Any more natural dark grey leather pictures to share?

You should really head down to your dealership to see if they have a car with the Natural Grey leather. I was all set to get the black standard leather until I saw first saw the NGL sample and then I sat in a car with NGL too. I was sold! It felt so much more richer in every respect. IMHO, NGL fits the whole lineage of the Turbo far better than the standard leather does. I also took the NGL sample across the street today to the MB dealership to compare with the S65 charcoal leather and they were nearly identical. The S65 leather was slightly lighter in color but equally as soft/rich textured as the NGL.

I'd say that if you were to compare the standard E39 5 series leather and that of the E39 M5, there's a huge difference. The nappa feels so much more special than the standard "montana" leather in the rest of the 5 series.

Bottom line is, go to your Porsche dealership to check it out for yourself. $1500 is a lot of change to spend on leather.

Why don't they offer NGL in black?

lol, natural grey leather in black?
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Why don't they offer NGL in black?

If they did...and did offer blk carpets instead of the medium grey carpets, it'd be a no-brainer....

Suspect dying process of NGL leads to more variation in color shade vs the more "intensive" processing of std blk leather....have seen 2-3 live copies of NGL in P's that vary from near-blk to definitively charcoal-ish....combined w/the lighter carpet colors (and the less noticeable contrast of silver-grey stitching on a charcoal-ish shade), IMO NGL can ruin the interior look of car vs simple, classic blk....

But I'll be the first to order natural blk leather w/blk carpets even if P charged $4K, rather than $1500...

NGL _IS_ 98% black so for all intents and purposes, you'd be ending up with a black interior. I ordered black mats to go with NGL. I think that ordering grey mats would be a mismatch.

This is NGL:

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Also, after seeing GT silver in person, I decided to order mine in Cobalt Blue instead!

This comment surprised me because, after seeing a 997TT in GT silver today, I'm convinced that if I don't get a black 997TT, that I would definitely get GT silver. It absolutely looks great on the 997TT. Very classy.

Alan,

Don't get me wrong, GT silver is very cool for the 997TT but I have always wanted blue! I should have taken that quote out of context because what I really meant was that GT Silver on the 997TT didn't tug at my heartstrings like Cobalt did. That's what I really meant. My last two cars and motorbike were all blue! Might as well stick with the theme, right?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 12:10 PM
    Enmanuel
    802791 1805
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448435 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265962 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89972 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6446 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885459 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832517 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM