Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Some idiot tried to explore the outer limits of the Enzo...

Re: Some idiot tried to explore the outer limits of the Enzo...

He should be hunted down and shot like a dog that he is

Idiot ???

Not sure that you can say that just because someone crashed they were an idiot. Accidents do happen and they aren't always the driver's fault. Also, when you push hard you are necessarily taking more risk. Occasionally something does happen. Cars are ultimately consumables.

So the guy (or girl) may very well have been an idiot ... but not necessarily.

I thought the car looked pretty good. Obviously a good hit but the passenger compartment looks totally intact.

Stephen

Re: Fun picture ... but

Well, why would you take a 600K$ car to the race track? Surely you must be made of money?

And as for the passenger compartment, well its CF, I wouldn't be surprised if even in a head on collision, cf sportscars came out unscathed from the passenger compartment at least.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:
    why would you take a 600K$ car to the race track? Surely you must be made of money?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car like that unless I could take it to the track occasionally. But that's me and I don't have a car like that so I guess I'm not made of money.

Probably it happened on the street and was fully insured. Probably it cost the guy his US$500 deductable. Oh, well...

Interesting that the photo is taken in the USA. Not many of those cars in the USA. For the moment, one less. Can't imagine it won't be rebuilt given its value.

Stephen

and you know it was taken to the track how?

why is it everyone calls people poseurs cause they don't take cars like this to the track but then bashes them as idiots when they do and the not so unlikely occurs? has anyone ever crashed in F1? are those guys stupid and/or crappy drivers? is that a track?

it's so easy for people to blindly judge

I can't believe that you just called me an idot, this was my car and my son crashed it

Well,there you can see that most people can't handle such a car like that.

Jm2c

Re: As long as we...

as long as we don't know how this accident happened, we should not judge about the driver or his skills.

cars are made for driving, and yes, even the enzo. i'd rather see someone driving around in his enzo taking into account that there might be an accident, than someone locking his enzo away in the basement for a 100 years. and even then, his house can burn down or whatever.

accidents can happen to anyone anytime. we can't control everything, especially not other drivers and/or certain circumstances.

The Enzo is a track car. I don't see where else you could enjoy it. On small country roads yes, but it'd be more fun on the track for sure.
    Or also outside les Caves de St Tropez of course!

this photo is hard to bear...

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    as long as we don't know how this accident happened, we should not judge about the driver or his skills.

Very well said.

End of the day, we have a very special Ferrari ruined.

ps, I just wanted to ask does Ferrari/Lamborghini do the same kind of reliability testing that Mercedes/Porsche does? eg. desert/winter testing?

Or do they make cars in the factory, send 'em on the track and rely on their reputation for sales?

Bilal, Lamborghini is owned by Audi (VW) and they did practically the same testing on the Gallardo as they did with all their other models. The Murcielago was a different story as far as I remember, the project has been started by Lamborghini and has been "overworked" when Audi took them over. I read somewhere that an Audi engineer was shocked of the bad development when they got the project to finish it.
    It seems that they did a great job, the Murcielago is a stunning sports car.
    Can't say much about Ferrari but I suppose they do the same testing as Fiat does which doesn't comfort me too much. But Ferrari quality has improved substantially since LM is the boss, so I guess they do it right.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:
    End of the day, we have a very special Ferrari ruined.

ps, I just wanted to ask does Ferrari/Lamborghini do the same kind of reliability testing that Mercedes/Porsche does? eg. desert/winter testing?

Or do they make cars in the factory, send 'em on the track and rely on their reputation for sales?

Don't know if it would be such a good idea for them to rely on their REPUTATION for sales!

Maybe on their flair, their lack of inhibitions, and their apparant ability to be able to run their companies without too much interference from bean-counting financial controllers.

You've got to envy and admire them for those things!

fritz

About the crash and driver ability. Lets face it, most drivers couldn't handel an Enzo. Furthermore, there are only a few drivers in the world that could handel an F1, and not crash, or look like grandma on her way to the grocery. Crashes happen, (even to me, and im sure to you too) Schumacher himself has crashed, and hes pain many millions a year. Another possibility to this crash is some sort of mistake by the mechanic (bubble in the break line for instance). Well, at least the ferrari luggage is in one piece....

Quote:
    Scuderia said:
    . Well, at least the ferrari luggage is in one piece....

LMAO

Thanks RC,

Well Ferrari is as they say an "International language".

Completely unhindered by accountants and the famous German engineering, they go their own way!

Allow me to take a slightly opposing view.

Most reviewers talk of the understeering nature which the Enzo exhibits at the limit. It's far easier to drive than say the F50 or F40. The thing practically drives itself. Maybe one of our board members can confirm with first hand experience...

Obviously you still need the maturity to know when to unleash 650 bhp

To me it looks like he went into terminal understeer mode and just didn't know what to do with it.

Quote:
    DRA said:
    The thing practically drives itself.

I wouldn't bet on that, I really wouldn't...

You're right of course RC, I doubt it literally drives itself. The review I was referring to was by some fellow that had "raced Ferrari F40s" so perhaps he was bit biased against the Enzo

I can't remember the magazine name right now... The review was a comparison of old (F40) vs new (Enzo.)

The fellow was trying very hard to get the Enzo out of shape, but the thing just pushed horribly in the corners (thanks to 335mm wide rear rubber and less than optimal aerodynamics for the track.) By comparison the F40 was more than happy to oblige the lunatic in the driver

I supose 650hp and understeer is the "safest" option.

I've driven a F40, and aF50 on one occasion (thank the heavens for my luck), and I can say that these cars do anything other than "drive themselves". The F50 is a definite improvement in civility, but the F40 is more like a raging bull you are desperately trying to ride. It's massive Turbos, rock hard suspension, and super-thin sidewalls are as unforgiving as a judge in texas. I've never driven an Enzo, or been lucky enough to even talk to an owner, but from the looks and description of it, I'm sure it does anything but "drive it self"

They weren't my words (I should have quoted them) but rather the author of the article. By comparison, he stated the F40 required far more driver input (as I stated above.)

BTW, the magazine is "Octane" (Jan 2004) the article is called "The Ultimate Test."

One correction: The author does not say the Enzo "drives itself" but he does state that with all the electronic nanny aids, it is "sensible and as far as anything is like that can be, safe." My mistake!

Then again, looking at that crash picture...

Looks like someone ran out of skill fast!

I feel sorry for the poor bloke...i mean, put yourself in his shoes.

Buy it here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2459831478

288GTO Vs. F40 Vs.F50 Vs. Enzo

Get last months copy of Evo in which all 4 are tested head to head.

Surprising winner, not what you expect at all....

P.

Re: 288GTO Vs. F40 Vs.F50 Vs. Enzo

Quote:
    Mr.RS said:
    Get last months copy of Evo in which all 4 are tested head to head.

Surprising winner, not what you expect at all....

P.

Tell MORE

F50 for EVO mag.
    At this level of exclusivity, it's all subjective.
    I can find you a reason why each of these cars should be a winner really.

"Four"? F40, F50, Enzo, isnt that three (im not trying to chastise you, just wondering if the fourth was say, a 288GTO), and what do you mean "suprised" somehow my moneys on the Enzo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761971 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435111 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260384 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80902 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871971 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807338 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM