Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

confirmed: 997 windshield chips-cracks problem

Well its confirmed, its no coincidence. Windshield is now 1 week old and today I get a crack about 2cm in diameter from driving in normal conditions. Thats TWO in one week after the SECOND windshield replacement in two months. Anything that hits this windshield causes significant damage... ANYTHING!

You get hit normally from time to time in day-to-day normal driving by little impacts from road debris, and normally at the most you get a pin-head sized spec on the windshield which is no problem, unless its an out of the ordinary impact. With other cars and my 996 its been this way an never had to change a windshield before in my life. But with the 997 and especially in the replacement windshield, its ridiculous, from the lightest comom impact it gets damaged.

I don't know whats going on but I going to my Porsche dealer to see what they say. You cannot believe how bummed I am since I cannot go replacing windshield every month during the ownership of this car, its a deal braker for me.

Maybe its how the replacemnd windshield it fitted in the shop vs factory that makes it even more brittle that what it normally is, but its no bad luck or coincidence: every normal impact that would cause no significant damage in other cars or my previous 996, damages the 997's windshield to the point of having to replace the windshield from the damage inflicted of every other "hit". If this keeps up and there is no fix or solution by Porsche I will change the car! from a stupid thing like this?

Re: confirmed: 997 windshield chips-cracks problem

Yeah I hear ya Carlos. I won't be able to afford multiple replacements. It's got me worried. I really hang back from traffic when travelling at freeway speeds, but I realize it's just impossible to think that I'll avoid getting another chip forever.

i have chips in both my 99 Boxster and my 05 Lexus RX windshields. I had one in the Audi A6 which the Lexus replaced one year ago.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Well its confirmed, its no coincidence. Windshield is now 1 week old and today I get a crack about 2cm in diameter from driving in normal conditions. Thats TWO in one week after the SECOND windshield replacement in two months. Anything that hits this windshield causes significant damage... ANYTHING!

You get hit normally from time to time in day-to-day normal driving by little impacts from road debris, and normally at the most you get a pin-head sized spec on the windshield which is no problem, unless its an out of the ordinary impact. With other cars and my 996 its been this way an never had to change a windshield before in my life. But with the 997 and especially in the replacement windshield, its ridiculous, from the lightest comom impact it gets damaged.

I don't know whats going on but I going to my Porsche dealer to see what they say. You cannot believe how bummed I am since I cannot go replacing windshield every month during the ownership of this car, its a deal braker for me.

Maybe its how the replacemnd windshield it fitted in the shop vs factory that makes it even more brittle that what it normally is, but its no bad luck or coincidence: every normal impact that would cause no significant damage in other cars or my previous 996, damages the 997's windshield to the point of having to replace the windshield from the damage inflicted of every other "hit". If this keeps up and there is no fix or solution by Porsche I will change the car! from a stupid thing like this?

Carlos - Did you use the same supplier and fitter each time you've had your replacements done?? Sounds like they may not be using OEM screens or they're simply not competent. Just a thought.

I used my Porsche delaership always and OEM screens, but maybe thats my mistake

Perhaps it would be worth your while to get that nano technology product I mentioned earlier. I think it's called Diamon Fusion. Here in Canada, it comes with a warranty where the windshield will be replaced for 3 years.

I checked out their web site, but can't find any info on who can apply that here, though I will look into it, thanks.

Carlos, 3M and some other companies make transparent security films for vehicle glass. You might want to do
    some research. Check out security glazing films and
    BR(bullet resistant) films.

OEMS use them between dual panes windows on BMW's Audi and Mercedes. However, BR film can be applied to the inside or the outside. The are available in different thicknesses
    for different applications.

Thanks Jim! do you know of any product in particular from 3M made for resisting stone chips? I couln't find one.

Carlos,

They do have are films that reduce the effect of
    impacts from rocks and shotgun pellets. Obvious, the mitigation of that depends on the thickness applied.
    For just highway rock chip protection you could
    use the thinnest.

They do have films for external applications that are
    optically correct and will not discolor.

I errored about BR. The official Term for that is Ballistic Resistant - not "Bullet Resistant".

Google "Ballistic resistant Glazing film" and you will see many companies marketing it.

Also, I recall that rennlist.com discussion forums have a plug for a transparent film applied to the windshield. You might want to check that site out for links.

Good luck. I'd hate to lose you from the Porsche community Carlito (if I can call you that)!

Jim, will serach for it, thanks.

SB, that product would be great but unfortunately its only available for local customers as only they can apply it

I have done some research it I have read that since the instalment of the windshield it robotozised at the factory the fit is snug and perfect. But in post-factory installs at shops the "hand" fit is not as good an may lead to the same type windshield being weaker to stress. This makes sense since the factory windshield lasted me 8 months, but the 2 replacement windshields fitted afterwars lasted less than a month

Carlos, There are probably glazing companies in Spain that install similar products for buildings. Perhaps with the BR material a auto shop that does window tinting could install it right.

There are companies in Germany who perform "armoring" conversions of cars. Maybe there are some in Spain also.
    Those and Glazing companies would have access to the materials.

Just an idea

Well, today I grabbed the car in the mornig and this is what I found when I looked through the windshield... this is my 4th borken windshield now in this car (and like I said before I have owned 3 previous cars and never broke a windshiled, one of them being a 996 with many miles, same driver, same roads...)

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Well, today I grabbed the car in the mornig and this is what I found when I looked through the windshield... this is my 4th borken windshield now in this car (and like I said before I have owned 3 previous cars and never broke a windshiled, one of them being a 996 with many miles, same driver, same roads...)

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Carlos...I can't believe this Maybe you have an enemy throwing rocks at your car Or just so unlucky...

My brother's Cayenne had the back window broken last week... Very strange ..

Sorry to hear that my friend .

Carlos, that's terrible luck May I ask, how much braking distance do you maintain between yourself and the car in front of you? Sorry if this is a silly question in your case

Quote:
    Gnil said:Carlos...I can't believe this Maybe you have an enemy throwing rocks at your car Or just so unlucky...

The car sleeps in a closed garage, and I park it in private garages, so no foul play there. It seems that a small stone chipped the windshield, and by the next morning it evolved into the crack, probably due to the change in temperature from the outside (10-15*C) to the inside garage

I fact I also have bigger chip in another place of this windshield for a few of months now and it never evolved into a crack (so decided to not change the windshield for that one). Anything that hits the windshield turns into a chip with this car.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Carlos, that's terrible luck May I ask, how much braking distance do you maintain between yourself and the car in front of you? Sorry if this is a silly question in your case

I keep a good distance, not only for allowing myself space to brake in case of emergency, but also because it decreases the stone chips to the front fascia over time. However I find that the worst chips I have gotten are from cars in front at a fair distance that fly up and hit the windshield, and not at close distance.

But what really strikes me is that with the 996 I had put on 3 times more miles and never had a problem. And same driver, same driving, and same roads... everything exactly the same, but with the 996 I would get hit every once in a while and nothing would happen, but with the 997 those same hits ruin the windshield. And its the 4th now. And I also drive other cars and same thing, get the same hits that I get with the 997 and nothing happens

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Hi Carlos,
    4 broken windshields in that short time is either a very big coincidence or a sign of something being wrong somewhere.

Since it's not going to be the glass, it would have to be the frame. Has the frame been thoroughly checked for irregularities when the WS has been changed? Could a high spot on the frame, like a dent in the metal or something like an antenna cable trapped between the frame and the glass, be causing a local"stress raiser"?

Quote:
    fritz said:Since it's not going to be the glass, it would have to be the frame. Has the frame been thoroughly checked for irregularities when the WS has been changed? Could a high spot on the frame, like a dent in the metal or something like an antenna cable trapped between the frame and the glass, be causing a local"stress raiser"?

That is great advice Fritz! I will be sure to bring that up when I take the car in next week to get the windshield replaced. Something has got to be wrong b/c its too much coincidence, and its worth a shot

Interestingly, the first windshield lasted a whole 10 months without damage, but after that one the rest followed in much shorter time periods. I belive that the factory fitted one lasted more b/c it was fitted at factory and the mechanical process at the factory must settle the windshield better than the manual replacements latter on, but maybe something is causing a focal stress that may have ocurred after the first incident.

Also, consider photographing the windshield with polarized light so as to see any additional strain that may be imposed on the glass by the surrounding trim.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Also, consider photographing the windshield with polarized light so as to see any additional strain that may be imposed on the glass by the surrounding trim.

Polarized light?

There must be something wrong with your frame - i have about 20 small chips in my 987 screen, and that has a lot more scuttle shake than any 997 couple will ever have - whilst the screen does seem prone to marking, these are nothing mnore than chips.

I agree glass is soft - i have some (big) divuts. But no cracks. I seem to have solved by driving much further back from vehicles in front at high speeds!

Here's my rock/windshield storys

Unbelieveable but now it seems that whenever I drive my BMW to the airport the winsdhield gets smacked by a stone. Happened every time for the last three times I went there; not exaggerating nor BSing. Got two small cracks in WS and dent in hood.

My Carrera got hit by a stone soooooo frickin hard my ears were hurting/ringing like a gunshot just happened (again: no kidding). I thought FOR SURE the windshield was gonna be cracked. IT WAS NOT! Made me start praising Porsche for making our windshields tougher than expected (found out later NO special treatment is given to windshields by Porsche even though the cars are designed to go 180+mph).

Go figure.

This sounds like more than just a string of bad luck. The 997 windscreen should be made from toughened safety glass and should withstand significant impact before cracking. I suspect there may have been a batch of windscreens (shipped to Spain) which are faulty ie: glass is too brittle! I would ask your porsche dealer to send back your cracked windscreen to the supplier for analysis to see if the glass has been toughened correctly.

Carlos,

How long does your dealer take to do the replacement? I ask this as it takes some time for the glue/sealer to set properly. Is it possible that improper curing of the sealant leads to areas of the windshield that are more susceptible to cracking when hit by rocks?

In late August of last year, after taking a really hard hit from a rock kicked up by an SUV that I was passing, I had to replace the windshield. I had it replaced with the original equipment glass made in Belgium for Porsche. My dealer brings in a specialty glass firm to do the work, and they insist on keeping the car one extra day to assure that the special glue/sealer used "cures" properly, preventing any leaks and assuring a good seating of the windshield.

While I have gotten some very minor chips on the windshield since then, I have not had any problems with leaks or any additional cracks since then.

Here's hoping you can get a good fix to your windshield problems.

Jim

Thanks for all the input guys

Jim,
    I have the glass replaced in the morning and take the car back to my garage at the end of the day for the night. The replacement is quick but the mechanics say that the car need to be there for the rest of the day for the glue/sealer to settle. So that shouldn't be it

I will take the car in wednesday...

Well, here is an update on the situation: its not even a month and a half with the new windshield since it was last replaced and I already have a half moon chip on one place and a spider crack on another (the latter likely to open up into a longer slit/crack in time).

Its simply ridiculous, I drive other cars as well and have no problems whatsoever, I had never had to replace a windshield in any of may prevous cars ever either, I did tons of miles with my ex-996 and no problems... but once I replaced the first windshield of my 997, its been one windshield after the other, anything that touches the wiundshields causes damage until I'm forced to replace the windshield. This would make my fifth windshield in one year's time.

The only reason I can think of is that the shop does not replace the windshield correctly and is not set or tensioned correctly which would lead to fragility of the windshield to impacts, hence explaining that once I replaced the first one, the whole problem started, but how to prove it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688228 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408581 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255484 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234704 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857460 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773172 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM