Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Carrera GTS - Extensive RoadTest Review

Gnil:
    ADias:
    Carlos from Spain:

spheras.jpg

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Just in case you are not aware of it, on the first screen ( with water, oil temperatures etc.. ) you can add a line with another parameter .

Thanks! did not know that, will try it tonight! Smiley 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I'm enjoying my GTS Cab. The most fun I had was going for a spirited drive on a Sunday morning with the regional PCA. That was really a lot of fun. Great winding, back roads.

Love the sound and the PDK responds incredibly well, specially in hard braking. At other times, in more normal driving I see how well behaved and comfortable the car is (but if I wanted a well behaved and comfortable car I would have bought a Mercedes)

So, I still I miss my old 997 and I'm even thinking of looking for a low mileage 997.2 with a manual transmission or if the GT4 gets updated with shorter gearing, that would be a very nice car.  First I have to rationalize this to myself and second I have to figure out how to explain to my wife...so it might take me a while...

pcosta:

I'm enjoying my GTS Cab. The most fun I had was going for a spirited drive on a Sunday morning with the regional PCA. That was really a lot of fun. Great winding, back roads.

Sounds like fun... Smiley

Love the sound and the PDK responds incredibly well, specially in hard braking. At other times, in more normal driving I see how well behaved and comfortable the car is (but if I wanted a well behaved and comfortable car I would have bought a Mercedes)

I am driving all the time with Sport (sometimes Sport Plus) and PDCC active. Comfortable? I have a different definition for comfortable. The Macan Turbo is comfortable but my GTS Cab isn't. Just this morning I was driving down a road with my 81 year old mother and she told me that she never experienced a more uncomfortable car. The car was shaking, even got a "hit" in the back, so it may be comfortable on good roads but if the road is slightly bad, not that much.

So, I still I miss my old 997 and I'm even thinking of looking for a low mileage 997.2 with a manual transmission or if the GT4 gets updated with shorter gearing, that would be a very nice car.  First I have to rationalize this to myself and second I have to figure out how to explain to my wife...so it might take me a while...

I had a 997.1 with manual and 20 mm sport chassis and a 997.2 C2 GTS Cab. I do not miss any of these cars, not for a second. Maybe you are a attached to that old 997 of yours for a completely different reason? I miss my 996 Turbo but mostly because it created some very nice memories (first born daughter was so sweet when driving with me, she also petted the car all the time and so on...).

I seriously do not understand people who say the 997 was or felt sportier. Smiley Like I said, I had the sportiest 997 Carrera models but none of them felt as sporty or go-kart like as my current 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cab. I remember the 997 pretty well, also drove a 997 C4S just recently. No comparison to the 991. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    pcosta:

Sounds like fun... Smiley

I am driving all the time with Sport (sometimes Sport Plus) and PDCC active. Comfortable? I have a different definition for comfortable. The Macan Turbo is comfortable but my GTS Cab isn't. Just this morning I was driving down a road with my 81 year old mother and she told me that she never experienced a more uncomfortable car. The car was shaking, even got a "hit" in the back, so it may be comfortable on good roads but if the road is slightly bad, not that much.

I had a 997.1 with manual and 20 mm sport chassis and a 997.2 C2 GTS Cab. I do not miss any of these cars, not for a second. Maybe you are a attached to that old 997 of yours for a completely different reason? I miss my 996 Turbo but mostly because it created some very nice memories (first born daughter was so sweet when driving with me, she also petted the car all the time and so on...).

I seriously do not understand people who say the 997 was or felt sportier. Smiley Like I said, I had the sportiest 997 Carrera models but none of them felt as sporty or go-kart like as my current 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cab. I remember the 997 pretty well, also drove a 997 C4S just recently. No comparison to the 991. Smiley 

totally agree Smiley

Here is a small 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet experience update on my part (6 months ownership, over 7000 km):

1. I still love this car, it was the right decision for me (after switching to it from a 991 Turbo S Coupe).

2. Even at temperatures around 10-15°C, it is fun to drive the car with an open top. The integrated wind deflector works amazingly well and keeps the inside of the car warm and cozy (of course with the help from the heated seats and the heating system).

3. The amazing sound is invigorating, I just drive with an open top to listen to the sound. This is actually one of the rare Porsche models which sounds very good from the inside (sound symposer) but even better from the outside with an open top. People are turning their heads when I'm even a couple of hundreds of meters away, so the exhaust sound is definitely noticeable.

4. The engine feels more free now, it revs high without feeling "forced" and the performance is sufficient not to feel slow. I even got used to the Autobahn performance because it hits now 270 kph pretty fast. Higher speeds than 270 kph are barely possible, simply because there is not enough room to reach that speed. I did 320 kph in my GT500 on an Autobahn section I can only reach 270 kph with my 991 GTS. So the GTS is no Autobahn car but the performance is good enough not to feel bad about those many high powered bi-turbo Diesel station wagons on German Autobahns. 

5. The best part of my GTS is the chassis and PDCC: Oh boy does this car feel direct and connected, it is just amazing. I ordered this car without the Powersteering Plus and it paid off. The light feel at lower speeds in the city is missing, the car feels go-kart like all the time, even at 30 kph. 

6. The only disappointment is actually the AWD: Truth be told, it doesn't really make sense on this car and I kind of regret getting it. Why? Well, the setup is very 2WD-like, so what is the AWD good for? Even the C2 has enough traction in winter time. Yes, it is fun to be able to drift in an AWD car but seriously, this actually defies the purpose of this car. Those who buy AWD want a more neutral and safe setup and I have to say that this goal has not been achieved. Next time, I am going with the 2WD version, it is cheaper and lighter. Only advantage is straight line when it rains for example: The traction is unbelievable but once you hit a curve, expect the rear to try to overtake you. 

7. I love the Alcantara in the interior, I also get a praise for it every time I park the car somewhere or when I meet with fellow enthusiasts. It doesn't get boring looking at it, which is a huge plus too.

8. Fuel consumption is now around 16 l / 100 km on average. I drive a lot in the city and on country roads but also from time to time full throttle on the Autobahn. I guess the fuel consumption is OK for a 430 hp car.

9. Oil consumption is basically nonexistent. After around 2000 km, the oil level dropped by one bar. Now I have over 7000 km and the oil level is still the same. 

10. So far, the car has been trouble free, knock on wood. Had some leakage at the beginning, which apparently wasn't leakage but due to a PDCC fluid overfill at the factory. My dealer took care of it and since then, no issues anymore. Car runs and runs and runs, everything is perfect as it should be.

Overall, I am very very happy with this car and I love it. Still planning to buy it after the lease ends, I have a feeling that this one is a keeper.

Oh, there is one annoying thing I cannot completely shake off: After some Autobahn high speed driving, the exhaust (the inner ring) always gets white (it usually is black), see attached photo. This is really more of a visual annoyance but it shouldn't happen to a manufacturer like Porsche. Not sure if there is a fix for that but it is the only thing I actually find annoying.

IMG_0058.PNG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The engine character/exhaust sound is one of the things that after 5000km I value more than what I thought I would and adds just so much to the driving experience. Unfortunately that is gone now with the downsizing/turbocharging no matter what, so I'm reminded constantly how lucky I was to get this car right in time cause I would have regreted it for years to come if I didn't. For me to even consider giving that up for a turbcharged engine you would have to give me real 991 Turbo close to 600HP performance and even then I would think about it cause straightline acceleration get less exiting after a while, but a 3 liter with a bit faster acceleration? that would have been such a huge mistake for me if I would have gambled on waiting on the 991.2.

The interior is also something that I like more than I thought after the initial impresion wears off. Its such a nice place to be in when you get behind the wheel, the alcantara, the color combo with the red toches all over, etc. Never been to big about interiors, but with the GTS I appreciate interiors more now.

Still getting used to the handling after 200,000km on the 997S-20mm. Ride os so much more confortable yet it deceptively better handling, going into a turn I find myself having left a bigger speed cushion than what I thought I had and could of pushed it even more, chainging direction or going over bumps and such that I expect to unsettle the car to a certain extent I find that it doesn't compared to the 997, etc.

One thing I'm not fond off is the tires... I don't like the Pirellis, there has been a couple of situations were they have given me a couple of scare (in wet) and don't trust them. Can't wait to go back to Michelin's...

--

The Pirelli is a bit scary in the wet at first but you get used to it. In the dry, the tire is quite good and I guess you have more dry and warm days in Spain than rain. 

Yes, the sound is just amazing me each and every day. I do not miss my 991 Turbo S even a bit, believe it or not. I wouldn't be happy with the new 991.2, this is for sure but from time to time, I am thinking about getting a GT3 but looking at the current prices, no thanks. What for? I already have a weekend toy.

--

RC:

I am thinking about getting a GT3 but looking at the current prices, no thanks. What for? I already have a weekend toy.

Your trying to convince yourself there, Christian..Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

RC:

Oh, there is one annoying thing I cannot completely shake off: After some Autobahn high speed driving, the exhaust (the inner ring) always gets white (it usually is black), see attached photo. This is really more of a visual annoyance but it shouldn't happen to a manufacturer like Porsche.

IMG_0058.PNG

Maybe it is your exhaust modification with a twist that is the culprit? Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

RC:

Here is a small 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet experience update on my part (6 months ownership, over 7000 km):

6. The only disappointment is actually the AWD: Truth be told, it doesn't really make sense on this car and I kind of regret getting it. Why? Well, the setup is very 2WD-like, so what is the AWD good for? Even the C2 has enough traction in winter time. Yes, it is fun to be able to drift in an AWD car but seriously, this actually defies the purpose of this car. Those who buy AWD want a more neutral and safe setup and I have to say that this goal has not been achieved. Next time, I am going with the 2WD version, it is cheaper and lighter. Only advantage is straight line when it rains for example: The traction is unbelievable but once you hit a curve, expect the rear to try to overtake you. 

Interesting point re. AWD; we have been test driving some 991's here, but most dealer stock is AWD. Dealers are saying that there is very little demand for 2WD, that AWD is much more valued in the resale market, etc.  Yes, this may be a northern latitudes thing, and I doubt that dealers in Florida etc. would say this.   As we don't drive our 911 in winter, we still feel these cars drive most purely with 2WD, also 100kg or so lighter.   What to do?  Oh well, test driving a GT3 today to see if that's the answer .... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

Interesting point re. AWD; we have been test driving some 991's here, but most dealer stock is AWD. Dealers are saying that there is very little demand for 2WD, that AWD is much more valued in the resale market, etc.  Yes, this may be a northern latitudes thing, and I doubt that dealers in Florida etc. would say this.   As we don't drive our 911 in winter, we still feel these cars drive most purely with 2WD, also 100kg or so lighter.   What to do?  Oh well, test driving a GT3 today to see if that's the answer .... Smiley

Things have changed since the 996/997. The four-wheel drive 991 is only 25kg more than the rear-wheel drive one.

I was not a big fan of the all-wheel drive 997 and changed to rear-wheel drive only because of this. However, the 991 all-wheel drive feels a lot more rear-wheel drive, but has all the benefits of all-wheel drive. The steering in the 4S also has a lot better feel to it than the S.

The level of traction is really insane in 991 4S. Grip, grip, grip. I have a steep hill going up to my house and there is big difference between the rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. My previous 997.2 S did not make it up in the winter and I had to park it there until the morning (even with new'ish winter tires). The 991 4S went up without the slightest hesitation. So I really don't see any negatives with the all-wheel drive anymore.

Anyway, good luck with the GT3 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

For countries like Switzerland or if someone lives in high mountain areas, the AWD certainly still provides a big advantage. This was my thinking too behind it when I chose AWD. I do not live in a mountain area but the Alps are only 100 km away from my home (I can actually see them from my house when I have a clear view towards that direction) and my wife and the kids go skiing very often, so I sometimes just take a short trip to the Alps and/or Austria in winter time. A steep garage exit can already be a challenge when the snow is fresh (and high) but usually, the roads are cleaned and there isn't much of a problem to get along with 2WD as well.

For my situation, the AWD doesn't really make sense because the 2WD Carrera has already a lot of traction (rear engine concept advantage) and driving dynamics aren't really improved with AWD. Whenever I try to use the AWD advantage, I always get the rear breaking out, not much different from a 2WD. So whats the point?

The 996 Turbo AWD setup was actually perfect, very neutral but people didn't seem to like it (for whatever weird reason, maybe some of them had a death wish, very likely the very same people who switched from a 996 Turbo to a 996 GT2 and then...crashed it angry). Porsche changed the setup and while I have to admit that you barely feel the AWD, which suggests a very good setup on Porsche's part, my question is: What is the AWD then good for? Yes, traction is better with AWD and yes, it may be an advantage when you have to climb a hill but otherwise, I would stay away from it. It actually makes more sense in the new 991.2 with bi-turbo engines and of course in the 991 Turbo/S.

--

bluelines:
    RC:

Oh, there is one annoying thing I cannot completely shake off: After some Autobahn high speed driving, the exhaust (the inner ring) always gets white (it usually is black), see attached photo. This is really more of a visual annoyance but it shouldn't happen to a manufacturer like Porsche.

IMG_0058.PNG

Maybe it is your exhaust modification with a twist that is the culprit? Smiley

Smiley Maybe but not very likely. I checked with Porsche and this seems to be related to the very high temperatures appearing when I drive at very high speeds on the Autobahn for a longer time. Actually, one guy told me that at night, you can actually see this thing glow. Smiley Smiley I still don't like it, it keeps that white look for quite some time and it looks stupid, as if I inserted something into the exhaust pipe. 

--

I would imagine a 991 Turbo S without AWD would be quite a test of driving skills at times. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

I would imagine a 991 Turbo S without AWD would be quite a test of driving skills at times. 

I drove the 996 GT2 and the 997 GT2 RS and I have to say that these are not cars for beginners. The GT2 RS is one of my favorite Porsche 911 (if not the favorite 911) and I regret not getting one when the prices of "young" used cars fell to 200k and even less (saw a car for 180k at some point) for a very short while. For the track and for country roads, I would however, very likely, prefer the new 991 GT3 RS. It is more forgiving and has less traction issues. 

--

My car (991.1 C4 GTS Cabriolet) is due for the 2-year maintenance (oil change, brake fluid change, etc.) and my mechanic just told me that a service action is also due: The ignition coils need to be exchanged, incl. the sparks. This could be valid for other GTS out there as well.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Thanks for the heads up, will check with the manager of the dealership's shop part kiss

--

Had a great drive up in the mountains with about 20 other Porsches, we crossed over to Portugal for breakfast inside a XII century fortress and headed up to some beautiful mountain roads with 0 traffic, its an area used for the rallye championship for obvious reasons, then we crossed back into Spain over the mountains and down to the Atlantic coast, no traffic as well, plenty of 2nd 3rd gear curves along the 200km route and great asphalt most of the part.

Finally around 3pm we parked at the local Auto Salon that is being held these days in town and had a catering service lunch (yes 3pm is lunch time here) in the middle of the salon since the company that organises the Auto Salon is one of our guys'. After lunch we visited the Salon and called it a day.

I really like the PDK but in these type of days of the year I wish the GTS was manual, no contest, the rest of the year PDK is great. Still, window popped open a bit, the sound going back and forth from 2nd, 3rd, 4th all day long in those bends, you never get tired of it and begs you to keep it on the high end of the rev counter up and down and up and down...... can't believe we can't have this engine anymore laugh

Anyway, thought I'd share some pics of this corner of the world and the roads wink (click to enlarge to original size and definition)

That is Spain on the other side of the river

2017-04-01 11.11.17.jpg

deep in the mountains

2017-04-01 11.14.35.jpg

2017-04-01 11.15.50.jpg

2017-04-01 11.21.31.jpg

2017-04-01 11.24.15.jpg

little villages in between

2017-04-01 11.29.41.jpg

stopped at a hotel for a drink and break mid way

2017-04-01 11.51.24.jpg

Now in Spain, left is the Atlantic on roads above the coast line with no traffic compared to those roads bellow

2017-04-01 12.51.21.jpg

back into the mountains

2017-04-01 13.11.06.jpg

back down to the coast and beaches before heading back to the city

2017-04-01 13.16.17.jpg

2017-04-01 13.22.19.jpg

2017-04-01 13.22.43.jpg

Lunch with the guys, Porsche stand down to the right bellow

2017-04-01 14.01.19.jpg

may post some more pics from others if I find some interesting 

--

Magic day Carlos, thanks for sharing Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Thanks for sharing! kiss

very nice, lots of red Porsches

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Lovely photos

Thx Carlos

Thanks for sharing, Carlos...very nice...I can't wait for spring/summer to come. Smiley We had over 23°C yesterday in Munich, sunny and warm (for April 1st) but most of my friends haven't taken their cars out of "hibernation" yet, so I usually drive around alone or with only one or two friends at max. It is so much fun in a group, especially when over ten cars pull into a parking lot at a beer garden. We always have issues afterwards to exit the parking lot because tons of people are taking photos and/or looking at the cars. Smiley My wife hates this stuff, so she usually doesn't join me but one of the kids is always with me.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Thanks Carlos . This drive seems to be a tradition amongst your Porsche friends ! 

The scenery on the coast is beautiful and I would love to drive all these roads . They look fantastic kiss

Manual would indeed be  more rewarding for this kind of driving . Going up, down, up, down , up , down, the PDK shifts makes it up a bit .

At the moment I would love to have manual in my DD , but maybe once I would have it, I would regret PDK during those bumper to bumper traffic drives , which happen actually pretty often ......   Ideally I would need two cars of the same generation  indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Fantastic Carlos! Loving these pictures. Today I was driving on the river dyke with my little niece and we ran into a group like this, enjoying the views and the twisties, lots of smiles from both me and my niece!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Wish I could of taken more pics but my copilot wasn't able to make it so I had to take the pictures myself so they are only of when there were slow moments when I could take one hand off the wheel.

We should be organizing another one again in a couple of months before everybody takes the summer (July/August).

@Gnil, Porsche should make a dual manual-PDK box with a clutcth and the stick is a real stick to shift manually, but can also be engage automatically via paddles on the wheel indecision

--

Or just get two cars...

Carlos from Spain:

@Gnil, Porsche should make a dual manual-PDK box with a clutcth and the stick is a real stick to shift manually, but can also be engage automatically via paddles on the wheel indecision

Maybe they'll get there one day , it will be a real pedal and stick but  with virtual connections ..... Smiley 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain:

Maybe they'll get there one day , it will be a real pedal and stick but  with virtual connections ..... Smiley 

This is actually something I proposed in a letter of suggestions three years ago but apparently no car manufacturer seems to believe this is a good idea. Probably would hurt their business...no more DCT/PDK for extra money. Smiley Smiley

Also, it seems that hardcore manual lovers wouldn't be too fond of such a system, they want a classic clutch system. Smiley An automatic clutch assist wouldn't be a technical challenge (I think), so it should be doable... Smiley

--

Like Gnil said though, the manual part would have to be a real pedal and stick or there is no point, the whole manual process needs to remain analog not an on/off assisted clutch and stick that is just an electrical switch selector. Anyway this will never happen.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761810 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260333 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80885 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871894 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807256 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM