Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Excessive break and oil wear. Can someone explain?

BjoernB:

I think the fact that they put in his contract that HE cannot track the car - but admitted that they have tracked it before even suggested run-in period play all Cards towards Lasse. I would invest in 1 letter from a laywer if he has the same opinion....this is not right by all common-senses.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Or might as well leak the story to Japlonik and let them do the dirty word Smiley

--

Thanks a lot, guys! winkcool

It´s part of the agreement, that you can buy the car after the rental period is over.
    @RC; It´s true that here in Denmark you´re not allowed to buy a LEASE car after the leasing period ends, at least I believe that goes for private leasing. Company leasing is a bit different.
    But there´s a difference in leasing and renting in DK, both in terms of legal aspects and practical ones:
    I RENT the car, just like you´d rent e.g. a Golf for a weekend. I pay an amount that covers everything except fuel and daily maintenance (wash, sprinkler fluid etc). If I excessively abuse or damage the car, I pay a fine pr. incident.

And your question about how the car ACTUALLY performs is totally relevant:
    My answer is that I don´t know for sure.
    Sounds cryptic, I know - but while I´m pretty sure it works as it should, I don´t know and can´t feel if anything is off (warn due to the tracking), since I don´t know what other RS3´s feel like. 
    The brakes seem strange at times, especially when braking at slow speeds: feels like the wheels are oval, like the braking power is uneven. Nothing dangerous, just feels like I´m sitting in the passenger seat while someone else is braking unevenly, which is annoying.
    The gear behaves strangely now and then: cruise in e.g. Comfort mode at 60 km/h and switch to any other mode, and the car gives a huge jerk, like someone rear-ended it. I had a mechanic go with me, but of course I couldn´t replicate the problem. Classic.

Performance wise, I don´t really know TBH. It feels blistering fast, but then again I come from an old Honda, and haven´t driven similar performance cars in a while.
    But from the few situations I´ve had with the car, where other fat cars wanted to play or I needed to get away, I can´t say that it feels slow.
    The brakes still squeek like they have since early on. Is that a safety issue? Don´t think so - but it is super annoying.

The most annoying "defect" this situation has given me, is that it has made me focus too much on strange sounds and potential problems with the car, now that I know it´s been on the track, and now that I have lost all confidence in Audi.
    I don´t pay $$$$ just to get from A to B. I pay $$$$ to get a special experience and driving pleasure beyond a regular car. And part of that is being able to relax and smile, knowing the car is exactly what you wanted, and that you got the car you paid for. 
    Sounds fluffy, but 99% of driving a performance car has to do with the emotional, mental and physical experience, not the practical aspect of transportation.

Dr. Phil:

Thanks a lot, guys! winkcool

It´s part of the agreement, that you can buy the car after the rental period is over.
    @RC; It´s true that here in Denmark you´re not allowed to buy a LEASE car after the leasing period ends, at least I believe that goes for private leasing. Company leasing is a bit different.
    But there´s a difference in leasing and renting in DK, both in terms of legal aspects and practical ones:
    I RENT the car, just like you´d rent e.g. a Golf for a weekend. I pay an amount that covers everything except fuel and daily maintenance (wash, sprinkler fluid etc). If I excessively abuse or damage the car, I pay a fine pr. incident.

Why didn't you lease? Long time rentals are often more expensive than leases. Did you rent the car for 6 months only or longer? The truth is: If you rented the car, there isn't much you can do about the tracking. It is like renting a car from a rental company, the car needs to work properly but everything else...well... Smiley Legal rights are in my knowledge different than with a leased 

And your question about how the car ACTUALLY performs is totally relevant:
    My answer is that I don´t know for sure.
    Sounds cryptic, I know - but while I´m pretty sure it works as it should, I don´t know and can´t feel if anything is off (warn due to the tracking), since I don´t know what other RS3´s feel like. 
    The brakes seem strange at times, especially when braking at slow speeds: feels like the wheels are oval, like the braking power is uneven. Nothing dangerous, just feels like I´m sitting in the passenger seat while someone else is braking unevenly, which is annoying.
    The gear behaves strangely now and then: cruise in e.g. Comfort mode at 60 km/h and switch to any other mode, and the car gives a huge jerk, like someone rear-ended it. I had a mechanic go with me, but of course I couldn´t replicate the problem. Classic.

Shit happens. I assume you have the extended warranty?

Performance wise, I don´t really know TBH. It feels blistering fast, but then again I come from an old Honda, and haven´t driven similar performance cars in a while.
    But from the few situations I´ve had with the car, where other fat cars wanted to play or I needed to get away, I can´t say that it feels slow.
    The brakes still squeek like they have since early on. Is that a safety issue? Don´t think so - but it is super annoying.

Dealership (mechanic) should be able to take care of this.

The most annoying "defect" this situation has given me, is that it has made me focus too much on strange sounds and potential problems with the car, now that I know it´s been on the track, and now that I have lost all confidence in Audi.
    I don´t pay $$$$ just to get from A to B. I pay $$$$ to get a special experience and driving pleasure beyond a regular car. And part of that is being able to relax and smile, knowing the car is exactly what you wanted, and that you got the car you paid for. 
    Sounds fluffy, but 99% of driving a performance car has to do with the emotional, mental and physical experience, not the practical aspect of transportation.

So get a lawyer and give them the car back. Maybe you can even get a deal for a new one?! 

Still not getting why you rented the car. So I assume your rental rate includes maintenance, insurance and everything as well?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Dr. Phil:

The most annoying "defect" this situation has given me, is that it has made me focus too much on strange sounds and potential problems with the car, now that I know it´s been on the track...

I know how you feel Lasse! i always pay close attention to things I feel and hear in my car. Partly because I love driving, partly because I am cautious and aware that when something goes wrong at 180km/h, you're probably dead. 

With my previous car, over time certain ticks and feelings developed (probably just normal wear), but after a couple of years these all accumulated to a feeling of not being really happy with it any more, and this fuelled my decision to get a new one, even though the old one was perfectly fine by any standards still.

I understand that your issues with the dealer made you prematurely aware of every little bump, scratch or squeek you hear and feel, and as a result the experience is not the dream experience that you were hoping and paying for. This can ruin all the joy in driving. Sadly, this is something irrational and can be very difficult to explain to a people in a large dealership who don't understand the joy of driving anymore, but just live for the business. This was exactly why I made my exaggerated comparison in an earlier post: because it drew on similar irrational feelings.

It also explains why you are so upset; because their immoral behavior robbed you from your dream of driving an awesome and fast car, and the injustice of them getting away with it because of contracts and other lawyer type of talk is infuriating. So, give it one or two more attempts to reason with them or their management/higher level, and if that fails grab 'em by the pony! Find their incentive and hit them where it hurts! Smiley (On a sidenote, it can be very satisfying to find out ways to make them pay... Maybe you really should start a relation with his mom, would be awesome to see his face when you suddenly appear at the Christmas family dinner...Smiley)

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Can't track an tracked car? mail

Send your story to Jalopnik, the internet will do the rest. kiss

--

997.2 4S / Donkervoort GT 

Since it is a rental can you exchange it for a different rental?  That is also a good way to tell if your car feels different. If it does you should be able to quantify the difference and demonstrate it for the dealer or mechanic. 

The car is a rental + it has a full warranty + you do not plan to buy it at any time ,  and if the car drives normally .......

Is the hassle  of fighting a complicated case worth it ? 

Just drive it like a rental and dont' worry ,  all is covered 

As to the squeeking brakes, it does happen on ' sports' brakes , specially if they have been used on then track and then only on the road with soft braking  .  You need to do some VERY STRONG braking a few times .  Go to at least  100 km/h and do emergency stops a few times . This will clean the pads . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The car is a rental + it has a full warranty + you do not plan to buy it at any time, and if the car drives normally...

+1

This "issue" for a rental car has been blown out of proportion, but interesting to see that the forum has fallen for the group pressure and now run around with tar and feathers... BURN AUDI, BURN!

I fail to see where Audi have done wrong. Yes, if they were attentive they could have mentioned something, but they were certainly not obligated to. In any case, it is a rental car. A used rental car for f'k sake. Of course it has a history. Since our most manly forum member is paying a monthly fee for the right to use the car, not to own it, and the car is covered by warranty I don't see the problem.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Its not the same as if he bought the car but its not a weekend rental, its going to be "his car" for the next couple of years or more, big difference, its like a lease for all practical purposes.

Beating up the car at the track by multiple drivers in its first miles and then not telling Lasse as he signed a contract that forbids him to track it himself is a disrespectful joke. 

They passed it as a regular demo and full price, the fact that Lasse would have not gotten the car had he known is more than enough to feel a little empathy for his situation. Not to mention the principle of the matter, he was purposedly deceived.

I'm sure that when you lease your demo Volvo stationwagon now that you need more space and you find out that the dealer used it to have naked wild sex with male prostitutes on the back of the dealership you will be... "its cool! it drives fine and I've got warranty!" smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Its not the same as if he bought the car but its not a weekend rental, its going to be "his car" for the next couple of years or more, big difference, its like a lease for all practical purposes.

Not really. This is a rental, so if the car breaks down, I assume he gets a different one or at least a replacement for the period of repairs.

Beating up the car at the track by multiple drivers in its first miles and then not telling Lasse as he signed a contract that forbids him to track it himself is a disrespectful joke. 

True but the car is a rental and it doesn't matter what the rental(!) company did before to the car. They only have to provide a car which works fine and safe. This is the difference between a rental and a lease.

They passed it as a regular demo and full price, the fact that Lasse would have not gotten the car had he known is more than enough to feel a little empathy for his situation. Not to mention the principle of the matter, he was purposedly deceived.

Price doesn't matter since this is a rental and not a lease.

I'm sure that when you lease your demo Volvo stationwagon now that you need more space and you find out that the dealer used it to have naked wild sex with male prostitutes on the back of the dealership you will be... "its cool! it drives fine and I've got warranty!" smiley

Rental, not a lease. I know that to many, this doesn't make a difference but it is a difference in many ways.

Basically, Lars has no rights with a rental, other than to have the car running and working fine. It does.

--

Total it...and get a new smiley

tso:

Total it...and get a new smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

Basically, Lars has no rights with a rental, other than to have the car running and working fine. It does.

That is exactly how I understand it.

--

bluelines:
    This "issue" for a rental car has been blown out of proportion, but interesting to see that the forum has fallen for the group pressure and now run around with tar and feathers... BURN AUDI, BURN!

I fail to see where Audi have done wrong. Yes, if they were attentive they could have mentioned something, but they were certainly not obligated to. In any case, it is a rental car. A used rental car for f'k sake. Of course it has a history. Since our most manly forum member is paying a monthly fee for the right to use the car, not to own it, and the car is covered by warranty I don't see the problem.

Bluelines, I agree with you for the most part.
    This is not about me planning to buy it after the rental period is over, and it´s not about the ACTUAL condition of the car.
    Like I said; I have no way of knowing if it handles on par with a non-track car. I think it does, but it´s annoying to even have to wonder about it.
    I also don´t have to pay for anything but damages I cause, or excessive wear. 
    I also agree that it´s a "used rental car FFS". 
    Spending time on unscheduled visits to the mechanic due to the brake issue, and paying for a car that (mistakenly) has no navi is irksome. Audi knew about the brake issue, but chose to wait instead of fixing it before I got the car.
    The navi took 3.5 months to get installed. Both of these issues are minor to me, and if they had simply offered me a small compensation for that, I would be absolutely fine. 
    So far they haven´t, which I see as both dumb and unprofessional. You f@ck up, you apologize and compensate. Done.

As you probably already know, the issue is about the basis of the whole deal: 
    Had I known it was a track car, I would not have rented it at that price. Others might have, I wouldn´t.
    Unfortunately, by omitting the fact that it had been a track car, they took away my option of turning down the deal up front. It´s that simple.
    Had it been other info not relevant to the condition of the car (e.g. who had driven it, it had been cleaned after smoking, parts had been changed etc) it wouldn´t have mattered.
    IMO there is a big difference between a track car and a regular demo car. It´s very relevant info, and something that they should have disclosed. 

The diminished joy I now have from driving it is purely subjective - but nonetheless; they joy of driving an (non-track, almost mint) RS3 is the exact reason why I spent $$$$ on renting it in the first place.

To some extent this is a "first world problem". It simply makes me angry that they didn´t choose to be transparent up front, so all of this could have been avoided.
    Now they have a client that don´t trust them, won´t extend the rental agreement, and instead wastes his time moaning about Audi to friends and innocent bystanders on a sportscar forum. Smiley
    Lose-lose situation indeed.

Smiley

I fully understand your frustration wink I don't think your car has got any damage from the track events. Some wear and tear parts needs to be exchanged ahead of standard service schedule, but that is it.

See it on the positive side. You are driving the most manly of all Audi 3-models... the rugged and butch RS3 kiss The female population in Copenhagen must be throwing themselves in front of your car, hoping to get hit and forcing you to do mouth-to-mouth help on them. I am stuck with a girlieman S3 since the better half of the family thought that this is more than enough power in a "family" car yesStill, better than a Volvo... indecision

--

bluelines:

I fully understand your frustration wink I don't think your car has got any damage from the track events. Some wear and tear parts needs to be exchanged ahead of standard service schedule, but that is it.

See it on the positive side. You are driving the most manly of all Audi 3-models... the rugged and butch RS3 kiss The female population in Copenhagen must be throwing themselves in front of your car, hoping to get hit and forcing you to do mouth-to-mouth help on them. I am stuck with a girlieman S3 since the better half of the family thought that this is more than enough power in a "family" car yesStill, better than a Volvo... indecision

SmileySmileyExactly! 
    And just to pour salt in the wound...here´s the reason why I ended up not going for the S3: Rs3 Engine tunnel.m4a
    Smiley

bluelines:

Still, better than a Volvo... indecision

.......Smiley    Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

bluelines:

Same thought here. Smiley Also, I assume this was no professional track racing but some track fun with customers. This could result in a bit more wear but thats it.

Smiley Smiley

--

An ethical dealer interested in a long term relationship with the customer would disclose that the car was tracked.

A dealer interested in maximizing revenue out of one transaction would do what was done here.

The potential value of seeking recourse via attorney (beyond writing a letter as suggested earlier) seems low since it's a rental.

Telling your story on social media in a way that would reach other potential customers is probably a cost effective and time appropriate approach.

Genuinely sorry you're dealing with this, a new car, rental or not, should be a source of FUN, not frustration.

mcdelaug:

An ethical dealer interested in a long term relationship with the customer would disclose that the car was tracked.

True but dealers usually have to deal with a certain type of customer...the type who doesn't really care about the tech or whatever. They want to have a nice car and aren't interested in details.

A dealer interested in maximizing revenue out of one transaction would do what was done here.

Lots of dealerships are under huge financial pressure... Even big ones.

The potential value of seeking recourse via attorney (beyond writing a letter as suggested earlier) seems low since it's a rental.

True.

Telling your story on social media in a way that would reach other potential customers is probably a cost effective and time appropriate approach.

True again.

Genuinely sorry you're dealing with this, a new car, rental or not, should be a source of FUN, not frustration.

Again...true. I was in a similar situation with my R8 but tried to make the best out of it. In retrospect, I do not regret getting an agreement and having talked to the general manager but I was lucky and the car is a lease, not a rental.

--

So, I just went to the dealer to drop off the car for the brake fix. I made sure to pre-book a loaner car while they fix my own.
    Apparently the salesman (who handled my rental)  was supposed to book that car - but forgot. 
    They found a nice Golf Diesel full of navel lint and bread crumbs instead. 
    Again: Brilliant service, I must say. They really go out of their way to make me feel appreciated as a client.

Dr. Phil:

So, I just went to the dealer to drop off the car for the brake fix. I made sure to pre-book a loaner car while they fix my own.
    Apparently the salesman (who handled my rental)  was supposed to book that car - but forgot. 
    Again: Brilliant service, I must say. They really go out of their way to make me feel appreciated as a client.

Methinks you won't be a repeat customer of theirs Lasse! Smiley

--

Dr. Phil:

Hahaha, Lasse. We all share the pain with you Smiley 

--

Lasse, track the sh¡t out of that Golf diesel before you return it! indecision

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Lasse, track the sh¡t out of that Golf diesel before you return it! indecision

I am sure he won't drive it hard, as he is not going to spill his drink, eat, throw up and piss in it either. He ´s going to be very gentle with the brakes too!

Lasse, no racetrack around? Nurburgring is ont open this week-end ? 😂

Dr. Phil:

Are they related to Leawood's Porsche dealer in Kansas by chance? Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Dr. Phil:

Smiley Smiley Don't worry: I have my R8 at my Audi dealership for a tire and oil exchange and exactly in that day I was bringing the car, they had an audit from Audi. So instead of getting a R8 Spyder for a couple of days, as planned, I got a brand-new Audi...A4. With manual(!). Smiley Actually not a bad ride at all and quite fast for it's 190 Diesel horses, I am impressed.

Sales guy apologized a thousand times. Alternative would have been a Q7 with the standard Diesel engine but this car probably doesn't fit in the garage I keep the R8 in.

Things like that happen but it depends on how the sales person and/or service people behave and their quality of work.

Btw: Brought my 911 GTS Cab to the Porsche dealership for similar stuff...wheels exhange, service, Approved warranty extension for a year. Weather is very nice and sunny outside right now, we have over 21°C in Bavaria, which is unusual for March. So one of the dealership employees apparently thought it is more appropriate to take the Boxster S reserved for me as a loaner and they gave me a Macan S Diesel instead. Smiley Smiley I take this stuff pretty personally but usually, I shut up. No sense to argue or make demands. Next time I negotiate for a new car, I weigh this in and usually get a better deal. Smiley

--

RC:
    Dr. Phil:

Smiley Smiley Don't worry: I have my R8 at my Audi dealership for a tire and oil exchange and exactly in that day I was bringing the car, they had an audit from Audi. So instead of getting a R8 Spyder for a couple of days, as planned, I got a brand-new Audi...A4. With manual(!). Smiley Actually not a bad ride at all and quite fast for it's 190 Diesel horses, I am impressed.

Sales guy apologized a thousand times. Alternative would have been a Q7 with the standard Diesel engine but this car probably doesn't fit in the garage I keep the R8 in.

Things like that happen but it depends on how the sales person and/or service people behave and their quality of work.

Btw: Brought my 911 GTS Cab to the Porsche dealership for similar stuff...wheels exhange, service, Approved warranty extension for a year. Weather is very nice and sunny outside right now, we have over 21°C in Bavaria, which is unusual for March. So one of the dealership employees apparently thought it is more appropriate to take the Boxster S reserved for me as a loaner and they gave me a Macan S Diesel instead. Smiley Smiley I take this stuff pretty personally but usually, I shut up. No sense to argue or make demands. Next time I negotiate for a new car, I weigh this in and usually get a better deal. Smiley

--

When I took my Boxster GTS in for its 1st service I was loaned a brand new 991/2 Carrera S - and I didn't even buy our Boxster from that dealership! I know where I will go if I am ever in a position to buy another Porsche - sadly unlikely though Smiley

--

It just gets better and better:
    Picked up the car yesterday with new discs and pads.
    I dropped it off with 30 km left in the tank. Picked it up with a blinking lamp telling me "0 km left, fill up immediately". 
    Super.Smiley

Then this morning it took the car out of the garage. It sounded a bit weird, had like a ticking sound from the engine.
    Yellow engine symbol showing on the dash - according to the manual it means there is something wrong with the exhaust. Called Audi SOS service who told me that I could probably drive it slowly, but better go to the mechanic soon.
    Opted to go to the dealer who was open but had no Audi mechanics available.
    Was advised not to drive the car, so I left it there. Perhaps they will look at it tmr, perhaps next week.
    Very lucky that I wasn´t on my way out for some errands or had any use for the car this weekend and the coming week.
    Oh, wait - I did. Smiley

A friendly VW client overheard the conversation and offered to drop me off at home instead of me getting a cab.
    On the way he told me of similar experiences with the same dealer: Things getting fûcked up on a regular basis.

Super great. Perfect.Smiley
    Currently looking for a pillow to scream into before writing Audi yet another - possibly very undiplomatic - mail.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435564 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257644 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM